close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Adam Sandler, Keri Russell, Guy Pearce, Russell Brand, Richard Griffiths ... see more see more... , Teresa Palmer , Lucy Lawless , Courteney Cox , Jonathan Morgan Heit , Laura Ann Kesling , Jonathan Pryce , Nick Swardson , Kathryn Joosten , Allen Covert , Carmen Electra , Tim Herlihy , Thomas Hoffman , Abigail Leone Droeger , Melany Mitchell , Andrew Collins , Aisha Tyler , Blake Clark , Bill Romanowski , Paul Dooley , Mikey Post , Adam Shankman , Brian Peck , Dana Goodman , Lulu

The life of Skeeter Bronson, a hotel handyman, is changed forever when the bedtime stories he tells his niece and nephew start to mysteriously come true. He attempts to take advantage of the phenomeno... read more read more...n, incorporating his own aspirations into one outlandish tale after another, but it's the kids' unexpected contributions that turn Skeeter's life upside down.

Flixster Users

56% liked it

215,417 ratings

Critics

25% liked it

108 critics

DVD Release Date: April 5, 2009

Stats: 19,964 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (19,964)

• February 23, 2010
    I have not liked many of Adam Sandlres latest movies but this one well, i did. I laughed, thought it was funny cute, not bad at all. Was expecting a really bad movie but instead got a nice little family film that me and my daughter enjoyed.
  • October 6, 2013
    Very sweet and funny movie. Adam has to babysit his niece and nephew. He reads them bedtime stories which come true, so he tries to get them to tell stories that will help him in real life, such as getting a friend and the job at the hotel that he was promised. Full of fun - cast... read moreles, cowboys, gladiators, aliens and mermaids. Good cast.
  • February 9, 2012
    Well I was expecting or hoping for a witty, sarcastic Sandler film but alas as it turns out this IS actually for kids. Its very tame, very silly and childish...its for kids haha

Nothing wrong with the film atall, a nice gentle story with fantasy elements and nice visual effects,... read more kids will enjoy it im sure. Apart from some very nice looking girls there isnt too much for the adults.
    Russell Brand makes his film debut (I'm guessing) here, I was horrified to see him but there you go, he wasn't too bad actually, shows he can be a normal person instead of a prat. Take the family.
  • January 29, 2012
    The movie's premise is more interesting than the movie itself. It's a bit too kid friendly to be classed as a family movie and essentialy its another unfunny Adam Sandler flick.
  • September 7, 2011
    This was okay, but not great.
  • August 15, 2011
    I think I finally can admit that I hate Adam Sandler, he is just ot funny aymore, hell, when washe really funny.
  • June 24, 2011
    Another Adam Sandler classic! The hamster was hilarious and Russell Brand was at his best. I loved it! A must see!
  • February 20, 2011
    A delightful & magical family movie that is very enjoyable. My mom even liked this :) Adam Sandler is definitely changing my opinions about how I thought about him. Russell Brand was hilarious as well :) A great movie for anyone of any age group :) I <3 it :)
  • January 1, 2011
    the only good adam sandler movie
  • October 2, 2010
    Family-friendly "Bedtime Stories" hinges on the talents of two Adams: Sandler and Shankman.

Both Adams have confounding success in Hollywood. Sandler's box office track record is impeccable - his name above the marquee of a comedy practically guarantees $100 million gross a... read morend "Stories" was no exception. Shankman is not only a highly respected choreographer, but as a director of 7 wide releases, he averages a not so shabby $90 million gross for his films. What they both have in common is that their films almost certainly will get skewered by critics, but viewed by audiences.

"Bedtime Stories" is no exception. An underambitious, underachieving mess the film should have probably been a huge bomb but instead managed to eke out $110 million domestically and an additional $102 million worldwide. "Stories" has a not so original, but potentially interesting premise-Hotel handyman (Sandler) tells his niece and nephew a Bedtime story that become true in real life.

But "Stories" is so by-the-numbers and haphazardly put together that it loses any capacity to be entertaining beyond basic expectations.

Sandler does his usual adult-child schtick that has served him well and in "Stories" it works. You can't help but chuckle at some of his jokes, especially the ones directed at Lucy Lawless. And Shankman, well, he directs the films with very little abandon. Like most of his films, there's a blandness to the construction of his scenes, a predictability to the situations, a cheapness to the special effects and makeup that it sadly proves the point that you don't have to be a talented director to direct a Hollywood hit, you just have to be savvy enough to add those Hollywood ingredients: a mismatched couple who fall in love despite initially hating each other (Sandler and the uncomfortable Keri Russell), a odd sidekick with a way of landing thunderous one liners (an out-of-place Russell Brand) and a self-indulgent Afterschool Special- lesson to be learned (self-belief will get you everything you wish).

Critic Reviews

Tom Huddlestone
January 5, 2009
Tom Huddlestone, Time Out

It descends into pathos, undermined by an insipid romantic subplot and the usual platitudinous guff about self-belief. Full Review

Tim Grierson
December 29, 2008
Tim Grierson, L.A. Weekly

The twitchy anxiety that once powered his persona has given way to a doughy anonymity. Full Review

Richard Corliss
December 29, 2008
Richard Corliss, TIME Magazine

After sitting through this fractious fairy tale, we feel as plucked as a Christmas goose. Full Review

Dan Kois
December 29, 2008
Dan Kois, Washington Post

An innocuous but haphazard family comedy that seems less crafted for children than dreamed up by a team of them. Full Review

James Berardinelli
December 29, 2008
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

For a creative premise, it's downright dispiriting to see such a banal interpretation. Full Review

Daniel Getahun
December 29, 2008
Daniel Getahun, Minneapolis Star Tribune

It's a delightfully innocent movie that the actor can actually show to his two baby daughters without blushing. Full Review

Andrea Gronvall
December 29, 2008
Andrea Gronvall, Chicago Reader

Richard Griffiths best gets the antic spirit of this enterprise, relishing his multiple roles as Sandler's phobic boss and several fantasy characters. Full Review

Ben Mankiewicz
December 29, 2008
Ben Mankiewicz, At the Movies

I didn't like one part of this movie. Full Review

Ben Lyons
December 29, 2008
Ben Lyons, At the Movies

It's a sweet kids movie and I commend Sandler for trying something different in his career. Full Review

Scott Tobias
December 29, 2008
Scott Tobias, AV Club

Sandler's laziness, sloppiness, and cynical pandering are all over Bedtime Stories, and it turns what's intended to be a graceful intersection of fairytale whimsy and real-world slapstick into an ugly... Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
    Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithson... (92%)
  • Inkheart
    Inkheart (95%)
  • Night at the Museum
    Night at the Museum (92%)
  • Old Dogs
    Old Dogs (89%)

Facts

• Bobbi: It started raining gumballs.

Bedtime Stories : Watch Free on TV

Bedtime Stories Trivia

• Which Robin Williams movie has the tagline: "She makes dinner. She does windows. She reads bedtime stories. She's a blessing... in disguise."  Answer »
  • Which actor is in all of the following films: - Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Bedtime Stories - St Trinians - The Abbey  Answer »
  • In Bedtime stories who plays the main character  Answer »
  • What is Violets boyfriends name in Bedtime Stories ?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent News

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin