Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Aileen Quinn, Ann Reinking, Bernadette Peters ... see more see more... , Tim Curry , Geoffrey Holder , Roger Minami , Edward Herrmann , Toni Ann Gisondi , Rosanne Sorrentino , Lara Berk , April Lerman , Lucie Stewart , Robin Ignico , Lois De Banzie , Loni Ackerman , Larry Hankin , I.M. Hobson , Lu Leonard , Peter Marshall , Irving Metzman , Cherie Michan , Amanda Peterson , Sandy , Shawnee Smith , Ken Swofford , Robert Guerra , Murphy Cross , Jerome Collamore , Jon Richards , Kurtis Epper Sanders , Victor Griffin

This family classic is adapted from the Broadway musical, which was based on the comic strip Little Orphan Annie. During the Great Depression in New York City, a plucky red-haired scrapper named Annie... read more read more... (Aileen Quinn) is the voice of hope for her fellow orphans who live under the supervision of drunken floozy Miss Hannigan (Carol Burnett). Annie's spirit is fueled by the belief that her real parents dropped her off at the orphanage with a half of a locket, promising to return for her with the other half. One day, the dingy orphanage is visited by the sophisticated Grace Farrell (Ann Reinking), personal secretary to conservative politician Oliver Warbucks (Albert Finney). In order to improve his image, Grace brings Annie to the Warbucks estate for a weeklong visit. Annie quickly wins the hearts of servants and politicians alike, eventually even bringing her song of hope, "Tomorrow," to President Roosevelt in Washington. Warbucks and Grace even go so far as to perform a public search for Annie's parents, creating an opportunity for Miss Hannigan, Rooster (Tim Curry), and Lily (Bernadette Peters) to scam their way to the reward money. ~ Andrea LeVasseur, Rovi

Flixster Users

69% liked it

364,305 ratings

Critics

50% liked it

24 critics

DVD Release Date: December 12, 2000

Stats: 13,407 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (13,407)

• fb733768972
    July 6, 2014
    fb733768972
    "Annie" is the epitome of a family film in every way. From it's very catchy musical numbers to it's strong heart shown by it's talented cast, this film will make your heart sing even if you are in a bad mood. This film has some obvious faults, as it does not need to be two hours ... read morelong and some plot devices seem to be thrown in to push the story along, but all-in-all, I had a blast watching it. For the type of film that it is, it's dialogue and lyrics are all well-written and it is very well-produced. "Annie" is the type of kid that you wish you could have been friends with growing up, due to her sheer likability. "Annie" is one of the most enjoyable musicals I have seen. For anyone ho has not seen it, it definitely earns a recommendation from me.
  • August 10, 2011
    The 1982 adaptation of ANNIE was worse than I expected. It was truly an unfaithful, uneven production, despite the heart and emotion of it all. Once again, as we can see, Hollywood has ruined theater with its terrible transformation of so-called "sung-through musicals" into tal... read morekative productions with only 30% music. I don't even want to know what disaster the forthcoming Willow Smith remake will bring us.
  • June 24, 2011
    A childhood favourite and a classic!
  • January 12, 2011
    This is my favourite version of Annie, it has an excellent cast and many catchy songs. The only thing I don't like is how long it is, but it's still worth seeing anyway. I reallly like this movie.
  • December 26, 2010
    Broadway musical about an orphan girl called Annie who is adopted by a rich millionaire.
  • August 31, 2010
    Annie is 127-minute musical extravaganza of humor, great songs, and cuteness. This is truly a classic! Parents, if you're kids haven't seen it, please add this to your Netflix queue or something and make them watch it. They'll enjoy it! Its impossible to not love this film.

&#... read more9835;Dumb dog, why are you following me?♫
  • October 14, 2009
    a charming little musical that is better seen on stage than on film, but its still a solid movie with a perfect cast.
  • August 22, 2009
    I grew up watching this flick and I thought it was pretty good. I see it now and notice all the great performers in it. From Albert Finney to Carol Burnett and Tim Curry this was an excellent cast.
    The music is memorable and the dance numbers are fun to watch. I recommend the ... read moreflick for families but it did seem a little long on the last viewing.
  • June 10, 2009
    eew no that Annie is disgusting she makes old Annie look like an angel. BRING BACK OLD ANNIE!! REMAKE ANNIE SUCKS!!!
  • October 24, 2008
    It?s been a fair while since watching this film, which was a childhood favorite of mine. A rags to riches tale with a heartwarming end. Great performances from Albert Finney and Tim Curry.

Critic Reviews

Jonathan Rosenbaum
April 16, 2007
Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader

The movie offers an insulting 'let them eat cake' gesture toward the 1982 audience, but the pacing is so ragged and the characters so lifeless that few will be able to stay awake long enough to feel o... Full Review

April 16, 2007
Variety

Many people said John Huston was an odd choice to direct Annie and he proves them right. Full Review

Geoff Andrew
June 24, 2006
Geoff Andrew, Time Out

The songs never take off into anything very much, the whole atmosphere (apart from the climax) is distinctly stagebound, and Huston merely reveals why he had never before in his long career been hired... Full Review

Roger Ebert
October 23, 2004
Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

It's like some kind of dumb toy that doesn't do anything or go anywhere, but it is fun to watch as it spins mindlessly around and around. Full Review

Vincent Canby
August 30, 2004
Vincent Canby, New York Times

They don't build movies like this anymore. Full Review

Emanuel Levy
April 16, 2011
Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com

John Huston is the wrong director, lacking appreciation for the musical genre Full Review

Sarah Wenk
January 2, 2011
Sarah Wenk, Common Sense Media

Tale of cute orphan is great for the whole family. Full Review

April 16, 2007
TV Guide's Movie Guide

This charming musical based on the comic strip character Little Orphan Annie features many memorable songs and pleasant dance numbers. Full Review

Michael A. Smith
December 12, 2004
Michael A. Smith, Nolan's Pop Culture Review

Serviceable version of the Broadway show. Burnett shines as Miss Hannigan.

Bob Bloom
October 19, 2004
Bob Bloom, Journal and Courier (Lafayette, IN)

Huston's biggest misfire; ponderous and sluggish.

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Annie
    Annie (88%)
  • The Sound of Music
    The Sound of Music (68%)
  • Oliver!
    Oliver! (81%)
  • The Happiest Millionaire
    The Happiest Millionaire (57%)

Facts

• Annie: Leaping lizards! A dog!

Annie : Watch Free on TV

Annie Trivia

• what were lindsey lohan's twin characters names in the parent trap 1998?  Answer »
  • In the movie "Speed" what two Characters were the onscreen duo??  Answer »
  • In the movie Annie who adopts Annie?  Answer »
  • In the 1998 version of "The Parent Trap," Hallie and Annie go on a camping trip with their father and his new fiance, Meredith Blake. What tiny creature do Annie and Hallie put on Meredith's Evian bottle?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?