close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner ... see more see more... , Fred Willard , Chris Parnell , Stephen Root , Chris Williams , Seth Rogen , Tara Subkoff , Vince Vaughn , Maya Rudolph , Chuck D. , Kevin Corrigan , Fred Armisen , Dave Allen , Justin Long , Chad Everett , Kathryn Hahn , Steven Carrell

Marking the directorial debut of Adam McKay, former head writer for Saturday Night Live and founder of the Upright Citizen's Brigade, Anchorman is set during the 1970s and stars Will Ferrell as Ron Bu... read more read more...rgundy, San Diego's top-rated news anchorman. While Burgundy is outwardly willing to adjust to the idea of females in the workplace -- even outside of secretarial positions -- he certainly doesn't want his own job challenged. Keeping that in mind, it's no wonder that the arrival of Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate), an aspiring newswoman, is, in Ron's eyes, not the studio's most welcome addition. After Veronica pays her dues covering so-called female-oriented fluff pieces (think cat fashion shows and cooking segments), the ambitious Veronica sets her eyes on the news desk; more specifically, on Ron's seat behind it. Not unpredictably, Ron doesn't take the threat lightly, and it isn't long before the rival newscasters are engaged in a very personal battle of the sexes. Anchorman was co-written by Ferrell, and features supporting performances from David Koechner, Steve Carrell, Paul Rudd, Tara Subkoff, and Maya Rudolph. ~ Tracie Cooper, Rovi

Flixster Users

86% liked it

791,036 ratings

Critics

66% liked it

197 critics

PG-13, 1 hr. 34 min.

Directed by: Adam McKay

Release Date: July 9, 2004

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: December 28, 2004

Stats: 63,095 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (63,095)

• fb100000145236770
    December 23, 2013
    fb100000145236770
    In the last 10 years there hasn't been a comedy that is more quotable and hilarious on repeat viewings than "Anchorman". I saw this is the theater and immediately fell in love. 9 years later I figured I would revisit it before the big sequel to see how much it holds up, and dam... read moren it is still hilarious. Will Ferrell is a comedic genius, and this is his best role ever(well, maybe tied with "Old School"). The rest of the cast is amazing, and looking back this kind of started the big push for Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell. After this they had "40 Year Old Virgin" and just kind of blew up from there. I love this movie and still quote it often, from "I love lamp" to "I have many leather bound books". Amazing comedy that ranks as one of the best of all time, and if you don't agree then I will introduce you to Jack Johnson and Tom O Leary.
  • fb733768972
    December 21, 2013
    fb733768972
    "Anchorman" is a laugh-a-minute film that will have you rolling on the floor. All of these characters are hilarious in their own ways and it has become one of the most quotable films in history, as far as comedies go. The writers really did not have a hard job, because even if th... read moreey wrote bad dialogue, the actors would save it by adding to it. This is not an amazing film by any means, but if you are watching with a group of people, you will be sure to bust a gut. Will Ferrel and this incredibly talented group of people are perfectly cast in their roles, which is what I think is the best part about it. It may not be the best comedy ever, but it has a lot of laughs and the direction is very well done. "Anchorman" is awesome fun!
  • December 8, 2013
    Stupidity that you have to smile at. I love the scene with the dog and the bear and Christina Applegate is great as a would-be anchorwoman. Can't quite see what she sees in Ron. Lol.
  • November 17, 2013
    Adam McKay's Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy is a senseless sit through.

Apparently 90 minutes of a 1970s news anchorman is a watchable piece of work. Part of the story revolves around the issue of women in higher roles in the workplace and the story does have its

... read more share of what would be dramatic moments; however, much is shielded by the comedic antics and style of the picture.

The humor is mindless and over the top. There isn't much, if any, drop dead laughter, yet even with some of the mature content, there is enough material to stir up some chuckles from time to time.

Will Ferrell does what he does best, which makes the Ron Burgundy as popular as he is. The rest of the supporting cast and actor cameos round out a solid cast of characters.

The look and feel of Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy gives it its sense of style. Watchable, if only once.

• fb100000293612769
    July 24, 2013
    fb100000293612769
    It's mostly childish, but Anchorman still offers some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, something which most "comedies" simply cannot do. Its absurd, but the film wins points for creativity and boldness.
  • January 30, 2013
    Full of guffaws, but since I've been made privy to all the Anchorman cultural references in the last decade, I wasn't as surprised by them.
  • December 1, 2012
    There's a moment in "Anchorman" where the four leads break into song. It's a harmonious version of "Afternoon Delight". And while amusing, it's not particularly funny or contributes much to the overall film. There are many moments like those in "Anchorman" at times making it f... read moreeel like a thematic episode of "Saturday Night Live". But in the case of this film, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is Will Ferrell. The film revolves around him and exists just to give him moments of wackiness. The rest of the cast is amazing but they are inconsequential to the success of the film. At times their presence is distracting as the film starts to feel like "spot the A-lister". Look, it's Ben Stiller! Tim Robbins! Seth Rogan!

"Anchorman - The Legend of Ron Burgundy"'s script is loaded with silly moments and, what has made it a cult classic, a boatload of inspired lines. " I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal." "I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker" among others.

So if you want a goofy smile on your face, turn on "Anchorman" it will deliver silly laughs without taxing the brain.
  • fb1442511448
    November 20, 2012
    fb1442511448
    Without a doubt and arguably Will Ferrell's most memorable film of his career. Anchorman is a mindless comedy that keeps fans captivated through its memorable quotes, raunchy laughter and chemistry among its cast. 5/5
  • August 25, 2012
    "Anchorman" isn't the most consistent comedy in the world, but once its brighter sides surfaces, it's uproariously hilarious. Can't recommend this comedy enough. It's ridiculously over-the-top and self-deprecating. In other words, a real good time. Don't miss out on it.
  • July 1, 2012
    For my 300th review, I wanted to review a film that was special to me and had some value beyond being just a film I happened to watch. Plus, I have already reviewed plenty of my favorites. Except Anchorman. Easily a comedy classic for a new generation, McKay and Ferrell have stru... read moreck PG-13 comedy gold with the legend of Ron Burgundy. This gut busting comedy never gets old and is endlessly quotable. You absolutely can't miss the great actors like Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd in this one too, there are so incredibly funny in this film. But none measure up to the comedy grandeur that is Will Ferrell. Please witness one of the greatest comedies of our new generation.

Critic Reviews

Anna Smith
June 24, 2006
Anna Smith, Time Out

Takes a joke and runs with it -- sometimes too far, but usually long enough to wear you down and force you to submit to its craziness. Full Review

Peter Travers
July 15, 2004
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Slaps a goofy smile on your face.

Stephanie Zacharek
July 10, 2004
Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com

It has a pleasing, noodly elasticity about it -- the picture knows what its limits are and proceeds to boogie unself-consciously far outside them. Full Review

Desson Thomson
July 9, 2004
Desson Thomson, Washington Post

Wonderfully silly all the time. Full Review

Stephen Hunter
July 9, 2004
Stephen Hunter, Washington Post

You will laugh. Then you will laugh some more. Then you will laugh still again. Full Review

Geoff Pevere
July 9, 2004
Geoff Pevere, Toronto Star

Like most of these sofa-spud comedies, Anchorman bears its attention-deficit disorder proudly, as it shifts tone and abruptly sidetracks. Full Review

Moira MacDonald
July 9, 2004
Moira MacDonald, Seattle Times

While the film is sporadically funny, it was done much better on the small screen, decades ago. Full Review

Mick LaSalle
July 9, 2004
Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

A comic idea that never finds the comic wellspring or anything resembling a sure source for laughs. Full Review

Jay Boyar
July 9, 2004
Jay Boyar, Orlando Sentinel

Most of it isn't even as funny as those supposedly humorous features that local news broadcasts sometimes end with. Full Review

Lisa Rose
July 9, 2004
Lisa Rose, Newark Star-Ledger

The celluloid equivalent of a throwaway summer pop anthem, the sort of catchy-yet-agitating tune that has you humming in spite of yourself. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• The 40 Year Old Virgin
    The 40 Year Old Virgin (82%)
  • Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie
    Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie (91%)
  • Zoolander
    Zoolander (76%)
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
    Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (100%)

Facts

• Ron Burgundy: You have an absolutely breathtaking hiney.
    • Ron Burgundy: I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
    • Garth Holiday: Ron why did you say that? Why? Why Ron? Why? You were my hero Ron!!!
    • Ron Burgundy: Garth. . . I.
    • Garth Holiday: And you come out and. . . Stink like that. . . Poop. . . your poop mouth. . . you have a poop out of your mouth!!!!
    • Ron Burgundy: Garth, If I were to give you some money out of my wallet, would that ease the Pain?
    • Garth Holiday: I hate you Ron Burgundy!!! I hate you!!!!!!!!
    • Brick Tamland: I love, carpet. I love, desk.
    • Ron Burgundy: Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying you love them?
    • Brick Tamland: I love, lamp.
    • Ron Burgundy: Do you really love the lamp or are you just saying it because you saw it?
    • Brick Tamland: I love lamp, I love lamp.
    • Brick Tamland: Heh heh! He said hinney!
    • Ron Burgundy: I'm in a glass case of emotion.

Anchorman - The L... : Watch Free on TV

Anchorman - The Legend Of Ron Burgundy Trivia

Anchorman - The Legend Of Ron Bur... Trivia

• In the movie Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, what "smells like a turd covered in burnt hair. "?  Answer »
  • Which of the movies is NOT made fun of in Date Movie?  Answer »
  • In what movie is this line spoken? "I AM IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!"  Answer »
  • Match the quote with the movie: "I'm going to punch you in the ovary."  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin