American Reunion

American Reunion

63% Liked It
liked it

American Reunion

Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid

In the comedy American Reunion, all the American Pie characters we met a little more than a decade ago return to East Great Falls for their high-school reunion. In one long-overdue weekend, they will ... read more read more...discover what has changed, who hasn't and that time and distance can't break the bonds of friendship. It was summer 1999 when four small-town Michigan boys began a quest to lose their virginity. In the years that have passed, Jim and Michelle married while Kevin and Vicky said goodbye. Oz and Heather grew apart, but Finch still longs for Stifler's mom. Now these lifelong friends have come home as adults to reminisce about-and get inspired by-the hormonal teens who launched a comedy legend. -- (C) Universal

Id: 11158381

Do you want to see this movie?

My Friends Said...

Recent Reviews

• January 11, 2014
    It was okay. I didn't really like the younger teen cast and some of the older ones seemed surplus (I realize it wouldn't have been much of a reunion without them).
    It just seemed like the only funny bits were with Jim and Michelle. This would have been much better if it was jus... read moret about them, maybe with more on Jim's dad meeting and dating Stiflers mum. Now that would have been a good movie!
    It wasn't bad, but it dragged and fell flat.

Update - watched again 10/1/14. Have upgraded original review to 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed more the second time. Maybe because my expectations were high on first viewing and very low this time! I also watched theatrical version instead of extended. Maybe that helped.
  • August 6, 2013
    Hail to the Stifmeister! If someone had told me this would be just as funny as the original, I would have given him the look of doubt and thought "no way!". But it's astonishingly true; American Reunion is virtually as hilarious as its predecessor from -99. It's almost har... read mored to believe it's been that long since we first aquainted ourselves with Jim and his colorful friends.

So what have the boys been up to in those last 13 years? Well, quite a lot actually, and we're not just talking recessing hairlines here. Jim is now a dad, Oz a bit of a C-celebrity and reporter for a newscast, and Stifler, well, he's still very much the same, except now he occationally wears a suit and tie to his office job.

What immediately becomes clear is 1.) some have aged more well than others, and 2.) the acting talent is still everything between mediocre and outstanding. Jason Biggs and Sean William Scott remain my favourites of the lot though. Not to mention Eugene Levy, who plays Jim's well-meaning, but embarassingly open dad. He keeps getting funnier with each film and delivers his best performance to date.

Evidently they're not teens anymore, but as wild and crazy as they get here, it feels like no time has passed at all. So much could have gone wrong with this film, yet they nail every joke and keep the laughs coming throughout. And it wouldn't be an American Pie flick without the traditionally awkward situations, worth a couple of good cringes.

But isn't just outrageously fun, it has heart too! All the character arcs are wrapped up with great and fitting closures, leaving you with a nice, warm feeling inside and a smile most satisfied. Even John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris make a short appearance in the film; the former of whom will always be legendary for coining the term "MILF".

Nudity, alcohol, off-the-hook partying - it's all in there as it should be! But what separates this from the usual comedy fluff (or some of the other sequels in the franchise for that matter) is that it makes us feel like one in the gang, as opposed to just resorting to gratuitous sex scenes and excessive use of the F-word. Sure, it's really raunchy, but it has brains to go along with it!

So if you love this bunch as much as I do, you'll be happy to know it's the best film since numero uno. Greatest of all, Stifler has still got it, delivering the biggest laughs of the movie and sealing his status as the most lovable deuche-bag of all-time! That and other merits makes me eager to come back for another slice of pie! Although preferably a piece that hasn't been anywhere near Jim.

Update (2013-08-06): Not as great the second time around (hence a reduction from 4 to 3 1/2 stars). A re-watch made its imperfections all the more conspicuous. Still the best in the series since the original though.
  • fb1442511448
    July 23, 2013
    fb1442511448
    Nostalgic and repetitive. American Reunion does its best to cling and clutch onto the youth and freedom that the original desperately craved but it falls flat. The humor is still there and still raunchy but it doesn't provide anything fresh for new audiences and die-hard fans ali... read moreke. Regardless, it's a film that can provide some laughs. 4/5
  • July 8, 2013
    This franchise has been rushing through sequels and unrelated projects with the same ease as National Lampoon, and yet here again we're heading back to high school with the original cast of the first film. Though the other two sequels did a decent job of pulling through a storyli... read morene, included bucketfuls of laughs, and addressed the actual personalities of its characters, this one does not. While the other sequels dealt with the limited scope of its lead characters and was able to show juvenile people without making the raunchiness seem unnecessary, this film cannot recreate that magic. These characters are now full-fledged adults, and none of them are interesting, funny, or even superficially entertaining. Jim and Michelle are undersexed parents, Stifler is an abused temp, Kevin has no worries, and Finch is underused and given very little screen time except to fish around for compliments. The original film was enjoyable because it spoke about teenage encounters and the irritation of being unable to control yourself as well as your destiny. While the next few films were more about how these characters evolved and still remained young at heart, this film shows how downtrodden, tired, and misty eyed they are for the past. There are some great sight gags, a couple of off-color jokes that make you cringe, and some Stifler antics reminiscent of the spirit of the original. The characters' personalities somewhat shine through: Jim is still awkward, Michelle tries to be raucous, Chris is still helplessly cheesy, and Finch remains cool and collected. Still, without the freedom of being a teenager, and getting away with tricks and pranks, their behavior just looks sad and desperate, like the rest of this film.
  • November 13, 2012
    The East Great Falls CLass of '99 finally gets together for their 10 year class reunion...a few years late.

Yeah, not content to end the theatrical series with American Wedding, it was decided to have a proper (hopefully) finale to the saga of a group of friends united by being ... read moreclassmates and bonding over partying.

Unlike the last entry, all of the gang is back for this one, though some of the roles are limited to all too brief and not always satisfying cameos. The princiapal roles are handled decently enough though, and that's where it counts the most. Since last time, things have changed a fair amount: Jim and Michelle have a two year old son who has cost them their love life, Jim's Dad is a widower, Kevin is a stay at home architect with a beard, Oz works as a sportscaster and C-List celebrity, Finch has gone into hiding, and Stifler, thouhg forced to wear a suit and tie for his job as an office temp, is still pretty much the same.

There's lots of raunchiness as one should expect, but like the others, the best moments are the ones that focus on character, heart, and the dramatic stuff. In a lot fo ways, things have changed, but then again, things have also really stayed the same. And thankfully the film does address a lot of this, and wrap up some of these story lines nicely.

Thje film is rather uneven though. Not all of the storylines and issues get addressed all that well, and due to a lot of hit and miss humor, it's evident that a lot of the time was spent half-assing things and instead relying on the shenanigans and lazy writing to carry things. I did like how the film started to address the generational divide though, thatr was nice, but I felt that, especially with Stifler, that the character hasn't really learned much over the years, and since he's such apopular character, that they ultimately felt scared abouyt taking too many chances with his character and really having him change.

I'm still gonna recommend the film though, as it is good, and a lot of fun. There's so great callbacks, especially with the music, some of the performances (Levy especially) are good, and it's just nice seeing everyone again. All in all, a flawed, but passable affair. Oh yeah, one more thing: that the film managed to surprise me with a nice little twist is a sweet little cherry on this slightly overcooked slice of pie.
  • September 7, 2012
    Without the nostalgia factor, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have watched this... or enjoyed it. What's most interesting about doing the high school sex comedy ten years later is that, if your viewer saw the original when s/he was 17 or so, they will watch this installment and immedi... read moreately be in the same shoes as the characters: moving away from their formerly juvenile selves, while still trying to stay young at heart and free in spirit.

On the downside, the plot points were entirely predictable, but to the film's credit, it was true to its origins and even had a sense of humour about them. The actors involved - many of whom have since been labelled flashes in the pan, as they've had few big roles outside of the franchise - acquitted themselves particularly well, particularly, dare I say, Jason Biggs, though his best scenes were of course with master improviser Eugene Levy, reprising the role of Mr. Levenstein. Levy could make anyone look good. Seann William Scott is as Stifler as he's ever been - perpetually been, since this breakout role a decade ago - and, having never been a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan but having seen her since on How I Met Your Mother, I was impressed with how Alyson Hannigan slipped back into the character of Michelle and all her weird-girl faces.

If you've never seen the other films - and I don't mean the spinoffs - you probably won't enjoy this, and I think in the future the four films could be recut as a kind of soap opera, but it's a loyal and still pretty funny sequel. Better than American Wedding, not so good as the first two, though. It's my generation's Porky's - meaning that, in ten to twenty years, people will be asking me what the heck I'm talking about when I mention it...
  • September 3, 2012
    What loser doesn't attend their 13th high school reunion? Who even organizes such an untimely event? The generally unnecessary American Reunion is being dished out to the public for a number of reasons. The studio would like to revive their once lucrative sex-comedy-meets-baked-g... read moreoods franchise, and most of these actors could desperately use the work. Remember when the likes of Chris Klein, Mena Suvari, and Tara Reid were above-the-title names? What I recall, now that the gang is together again, is that I found most of these characters to be dullards. They're in their 30s, have careers and families, and stupidly comfortable lives, yet they're up to the same old hijinks, which just seem a bit more desperate and embarrassing this time around. Seann William Scott, the franchise's true wild card, is still amusing as ever, but I couldn't swallow the forced nostalgia for characters that are unappealing. Jason Biggs and Alyson Hannigan still make a nice pair, but rehashing the old gang mitigates their screen time. Comedy-wise, the movie has a few memorable gross-out moments but nothing really hilarious. I laughed from time to time but mostly I was bored, and Klein, especially in his new post-Street Fighter ironic version of himself, is rarely boring. It's a pleasant enough experience and I suppose fans of the original films will get a kick out of seeing who ended up where and, in particular, what he hell happened to Reid's leathery face. Otherwise, American Reunion is a gathering that nobody called for and fails to justify all the effort. Then again, my favorite of the American Pie films is the second one, so take my words with caution.

Nate's Grade: C
  • September 3, 2012
    The gang is all here, and better than ever in the comedy return we all have been waiting for. The wildest, craziest, crudest and most hilarious slice of the pie yet. A great return. Some of the characters matured, others not so much but all together they are brilliant to watch ag... read moreain, brining the series back to its classic form. It`s nothing but fun from start to finish. Jason Biggs, Chris Kliein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Sean William Scott and Eddie Kaye are all wonderful and outragious, their chemistry still works after all these years and deliver the goods. A great comedy
  • August 31, 2012
    'American Reunion'. What can I say? Clearly I loved the first film and its characters a whole lot more than I remember back in the day, because this is nothing if not more of the same, but after 10+ years, and with characters you like, the sentimentality worked wonders.
  • August 8, 2012
    "The first film will always be my favorite and Stifler will always be my favorite charcter to watch in these movies. He makes the movie. It was nice to see the entire cast back for the final film. At least I think it's the final one. But the newbies on the scene were just OK and ... read moreeven some of the original cast really didn't bring a great performance to this flick. But overall it was just OK."

Opening This Week

Top Box Office

Upcoming Movies

New on DVD