close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jason Lee, Justin Long, Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney, Amy Poehler ... see more see more... , Anna Faris , Christina Applegate , David Cross , Jenny Slate , Alan Tudyk , Michael P. Northey , Sophia Aguiar , Lauren Gottlieb , Tera Perez , Andy Buckley , Chad Krowchuck , Luisa D'Oliveira , Tucker Albrizzi , Nelson Wong , Michael Karman , Amber-Rochelle DeMarco , Marcela Caceres , Natalie Sutcliffe , Ian Harmon , Phyllis Smith

The vacationing Chipmunks and Chipettes are turning a luxury cruise liner into their personal playground, until they become 'chipwrecked' on a remote island. As the 'Munks and Chipettes try various sc... read more read more...hemes to find their way home, they accidentally discover their new turf is not as deserted as it seems. -- (C) Official Site

Flixster Users

52% liked it

65,412 ratings

Critics

12% liked it

77 critics

G, 1 hr. 30 min.

Directed by: Mike Mitchell

Release Date: December 16, 2011

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: March 27, 2012

Stats: 2,777 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (2,777)

• fb100000293612769
    July 26, 2012
    fb100000293612769
    Horrid acting and a pointless script make this film unwatchable and an unnecessary project to begin with.
  • June 28, 2012
    I hate when Jason Lee yells. It sounds cheesy. And this movie was boring. Not like the first one. Worst than the second one.
  • June 8, 2012
    07/06/2012 (Blu-Ray)
  • April 12, 2012
    family friendly and great for kids, just as the previous two, but for the parents who have to watch it its less personal than the first. the humor is less clever, even for a guy like me that grew up on these characters.
  • March 30, 2012
    Chipwrecked!

Not horrible. The movie is not that great, the story is just so crappy that really makes laughing almost impossible and coming from a guy that used to love the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons when he was a kid. They really should have stop with the first film but ... read morethey just want more money smh...

Playing around while aboard a cruise ship, the Chipmunks and Chipettes accidentally go overboard and end up marooned in a tropical paradise. They discover their new turf is not as deserted as it seems.
  • January 13, 2012
    It scored laughs in the worst possible sense. The ability to be funny because it well and truly wasn't.
  • fb100000145236770
    December 29, 2011
    fb100000145236770
    Of the three chipmunk movies, I think this is the best one. The first two concentrated on their musical careers, whereas this one was just a straight up adventure film. I used to love the old cartoons, especially their cartoon movie. The one with the hot air balloons, with the... read more dolls filled with diamonds. This was the closest of the actual movies to that. Dave takes the chipmunks on a cruise, they get into some trouble, and become abandoned on an island. Dave then sets out to find them and get them to safety. Yeah, not the most original, creative idea. But the movie is a lot of fun. There are all kinds of references for adults(Alvin says "winning"), and it never goes too overboard to forget little kids are watching. My nieces loved it, and us adults enjoyed it as well. These movies are what they are. If you watch hoping for something more or better, well then you shouldn't have even bothered in the first place. Sit back, relax, and enjoy a good adventure with Alvin and the gang.
  • fb733768972
    December 28, 2011
    fb733768972
    Alvin and the Chipmunks are back, and more unwelcome than ever before. Once the first film hit theatres, I shook my head and accepted it for what it was, a fun kids flick. The second movie treaded on too long while pretty much becoming a rehash of the original with new characters... read more thrown in. This time, they are on vacation and get stranded on an island. That is truly the only plot line to follow in this film. After making numerous annoying pop-culture references, sitting through dreadful dialogue, an overly cliched story, and characters that contradict themselves 24/7, I began to realize that this franchise is now only being made for money, and the studio is giving audiences who are familiar with the original television series, a slap in the face. By the time the movie was 30 minutes in, they had already ran out of all the clever ideas they could come up with, and once they stole ideas from past critically acclaimed films and thought they could get away with it, I wanted to walk out of the screening. This is truly one of the worst theatrical experiences I have had in a long time. This pointless piece of garbage should not have been made. Honestly, I am trying to be as polite as I possibly can towards this film. I used to watch these films for enjoyment, now it's become idiotic and just downright awful. If this is the future of cinema, god help us all. Is there really any more to say? No. This is one of the worst films of 2011!
  • December 22, 2011
    Alvin and The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked is better than the previous installment but is still an humiliation to film and is another example that they need to end the series. The story revolves around The Chipmunks and Chipettes who are on a cruise to a huge Music Awards, but soon af... read moreter an accident (that is of course caused by Alvin) they wash up on a beach with their only hope being that Dave can find them, and as Dave searches he is stuck with the Chipmunks rival Ian Hawke. The plot is as pointless as a films story can get, it is boring and it makes you feel embarrassed to be in the same room as this movie, I mean come on people, why do you want your kids becoming stupid enough to believe this is a good kids movie, show them Toy Story and leave them at home and save your money then wasting your money on a film that has absolutely no point to it other than to steal the minds of little kids. The cast and voice cast is the same as they have been in the past two films, boring an uninteresting, all the actors are in this for the money and that is it, i know for a fact that they have no love for the series and just do it to get a big fat paycheck. The comedy is probably the worst thing about the movie, they use boring jokes that take no effort to be funny and they just want pitiful jokes that will make little kids giggle and adults ale to take a nap for a while. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked is exactly what I was expecting, a pathetic use of good actors trying and filmmakers that for some reason keep doing these movie, I think Hollywood is trying to screw over our money and their careers by making these movies over and over again, so I do not recommend this movie to anyone who does not want to see a really bad movie.
  • December 16, 2011
    But only if you are under 10

Adults will have to take strong medication to get through this one, but if you are a little kid, you'll love it. Why?

It's bright, has colorful characters, noisy,etc. The adults are stupid and love the 'kids', no matter what they do. The story, ... read moresuch as there is one - the Chipmunks and their female counterparts, the Chipettes, get shipwrecked from a cruise, and the father figure (Dave) and his enemy (Ian) rescue them.

It is also idiotic, unfunny, loud, and downright awful if you are a grown up. With such wonderful animated and computer animated films, it is amazing such films get made and make money. But they do.

Critic Reviews

Nick Schager
December 17, 2011
Nick Schager, Village Voice

Flails about in search of a creative reason to exist. Full Review

Jennie Punter
December 16, 2011
Jennie Punter, Globe and Mail

The obvious nods to Castaway, Lost and other pop culture references are barely worth a grin. Full Review

Lou Lumenick
December 16, 2011
Lou Lumenick, New York Post

You usually have to go to an Adam Sandler movie, or the Quad Cinema, to see something as incompetently made as "Alvin and the Chipmunks.'' Full Review

Sean O'Connell
December 16, 2011
Sean O'Connell, Washington Post

"Chipwrecked" serves up more of the derivative chaos that floats this franchise's boat. Full Review

Peter Hartlaub
December 15, 2011
Peter Hartlaub, San Francisco Chronicle

It's an uninspired and instantly forgettable film. But it completely succeeds by its own standards: an 87-minute rainy-day distraction that will probably make a zillion dollars. Full Review

Claudia Puig
December 15, 2011
Claudia Puig, USA Today

Maybe for the next installment, they can go off to college and find something better to do than making these silly movies. Full Review

Neil Genzlinger
December 15, 2011
Neil Genzlinger, New York Times

There is chipmunk gambling. There is seductive dancing by Chipettes wearing only towels. There is a musical gag involving the lyric "whip my tail back and forth." Full Review

Betsy Sharkey
December 15, 2011
Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times

If only they were truly stranded on that desert island... Full Review

Adam Markovitz
December 15, 2011
Adam Markovitz, Entertainment Weekly

Good news: The shrill CG rodents, who last infested theaters in 2009's Squeakquel, are stranded on a jungle island with little hope of survival. Bad news: They've brought us along. Full Review

Joel Brown
December 15, 2011
Joel Brown, Boston Globe

You know there is something wrong with a movie when even David Cross in a giant pelican suit isn't funny. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
    Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (100%)
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks
    Alvin and the Chipmunks (97%)
  • Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo (100%)
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good... (0%)

Facts

• Alvin: I like my tail shaken, not stirred.
    • Simon: A decagon has 10 sides.
    • Alvin: Oh, quit your yapping.
    • Simon: Oh, that is it!!
    • Brittany: Stop fighting you rascals!
    • Alvin: You mess with me else I go loco on you!
    • Alvin: Oh yeah Eleanor.
    • Brittany: No me! i can't get saved looking like this.
    • Alvin: Right.
    • Ian: Sup.
    • Alvin: Winning!

Alvin and the Chi... : Watch Free on TV

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked Trivia

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?