close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Kathryn Beaumont, Ed Wynn, Richard Haydn, Sterling Holloway, Jerry Colonna ... see more see more... , Verna Felton , Pat O'Malley , Bill Thompson , Heather Angel , Joseph Kearns , Larry Grey , Queenie Leonard , Dink Trout , Doris Lloyd , James MacDonald (II) , The Mello Men , Don Barclay , Wilfred Jackson , Hamilton Luske

This Disney feature-length cartoon combines the most entertaining elements of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Chasing after the White Rabbit, who runs into view sing... read more read more...ing "I'm Late! I'm Late!," Alice falls down the rabbit hole into the topsy-turvy alternate world of Wonderland. She grows and shrinks after following the instructions of a haughty caterpillar, attends a "Very Merry Unbirthday" party in the garden of the Mad Hatter and the March Hare, stands in awe as the Cheshire Cat spouts philosophy, listens in rapt attention as Tweedledum and Tweedledee relate the story of the Walrus and the Carpenter (a sequence usually cut when Alice is shown on TV), and closes out her day with a hectic croquet game at the home of the Red Queen. The music and production design of Alice in Wonderland is marvelous, but the film is too much of a good thing, much too frantic to do full honor to the whimsical Carroll original, and far too episodic to hang together as a unified feature film. One tactical error is having Alice weep at mid-point, declaring her wish to go home: This is Alice in Wonderland, Walt, not Wizard of Oz! Its storytelling shortcomings aside, Alice in Wonderland is superior family entertainment (never mind the efforts in the 1970s to palm off the picture as a psychedelic "head" film). ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Flixster Users

78% liked it

571,830 ratings

Critics

77% liked it

26 critics

DVD Release Date: February 1, 2011

Stats: 22,858 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (22,858)

• fb100000293612769
    August 19, 2013
    fb100000293612769
    Though ultimately not the most memorable Disney experience, Alice in Wonderland is a charming, visually stunning film that--while dated--is nonetheless enjoyable.
  • August 15, 2012
    This is how the story of Alice in wonderland SHOULD be done Tim Burton.
    That aside, Alice in Wonderland is probably one of Disney's most creative animated films to date just due to how crazy they could go with tis story seeing how nothing makes sense in this nonsensical animated... read more world of Wonderland. Alice is probably one of my favorite animated film leads and the side characters are some of Disney's best, mainly the Mad Hatter and March Hare even though they aren't even in the film for fifteen minutes. My favorite character however is the Cheshire Cat, not just for how Sterling Holloway portrays him, but also how you never know what side he is on, if he's a good guy or a bad guy, and I really enjoy characters that are done like that. The music is also very good for the film, my favorite being the story of the carpenter and walrus just for how strange it is.
  • April 29, 2012
    A classic retelling of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, this is one of the strangest films in Disney's catalogue. I remember watching this as a kid, and thought it was really creepy for some odd reason. Maybe it was the Cheshire Cat with that grin of his or the Mad Hatter. Ei... read morether way, Alice in Wonderland was one of those Disney films that creeped me out, and I thought it was a good film, but it kind of made me feel uneasy. This is nonetheless a good adaptation of a classic tale. This is a great film that might make you raise an eyebrow or two, however if you love Disney films, then this is yet another one worth checking out. Alice in Wonderland sure is an eccentric, surreal cinematic experience, but it's also one that you'll never forget. The film has colorful characters and a good cast. Like I said, Alice in Wonderland is weird, but it is definitely an entertaining film, one that will definitely appeal to Disney enthusiasts. Of all the films that Disney has put out, Alice in Wonderland may be the one that stands out the most. The sheer eccentricity of the film has made its reputation secure among fans of Disney. The film is definitely out of this world and very different from others in Disney's past. For what it's worth, this is still a must see film if you want to check all the essential Disney classics, as this is one of the most memorable of them all. Not the most perfect film that Disney has made, but definitely a stunning ride nonetheless.
  • March 9, 2012
    Trippy as hell. Comes to show how twisted Disney's minds can be. I wasn't interested throughout CUZ I DON'T SMOKE BRO
  • August 12, 2011
    Good
  • fb729949618
    August 9, 2011
    fb729949618
    Just recently saw this movie after so many years! Not what I expected and not really Disney-like. Many things in this movie would never be seen in a G-rated movie in today's standards. Freaky.
  • April 19, 2011
    Disney classic
  • March 1, 2011
    "Sentence first! Verdict afterward."

This is a manic, imaginative adaptation of the manic, imaginative children's classic by Lewis Carroll. The movie quickly speeds through the major events of Alice in Wonderland, with a bit of Through the Looking Glass thrown in, as well.

The... read more animation of classic Disney is a good match for the imaginative characters and situations that Alice encounters, and the trademark and expected Disney songs are fine (though not really among the most memorable of Disney tunes).

It's hard to imagine any fans of Alice in Wonderland not liking this adaptation, as it tries its hardest to capture at least some of the cleverness of the story. From the insanity of the March Hare and Mad Hatter to the trippy Cheshire Cat and ruthless Queen of Hearts, Alice in Wonderland is one of the more unique Disney animated movies that have been made.
  • February 20, 2011
    The most bizarre film in the Disney animated cannon. I love it for that very reason. I love that Walt Disney allowed this bizarre piece of celluloid onto movie screens in '51. Just fantastic. :)
  • November 11, 2010
    Reasonably faithful Disney adaptation of the Lewis Carroll classic about a little girl lost in a charming nonsense world. The precious over-cuteness of the cartoon characters is a bit cloying and the musical numbers are syrupy and forgettable, but overall Disneyfication doesn't ... read moredamage the story too much. It's miles ahead of Tim Burton's 2010 "reimagining", at least.

Critic Reviews

Dave Kehr
November 3, 2009
Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader

What's really disappointing is the undistinguished animation: the film looks and plays more like the Disney shorts than the Disney features. Full Review

Variety Staff
May 20, 2008
Variety Staff, Variety

Walt Disney has gone a long way towards tightening the leisurely, haphazard adventure of Alice in the wonderland of her imagination. Full Review

Bosley Crowther
March 25, 2006
Bosley Crowther, New York Times

If you are not too particular about the images of Carroll and Tenniel, if you are high on Disney whimsey and if you'll take a somewhat slow, uneven pace, you should find this picture entertaining. Full Review

David Nusair
January 6, 2013
David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews

...a watchable yet thoroughly forgettable piece of work... Full Review

Emanuel Levy
March 20, 2012
Emanuel Levy, EmanuelLevy.Com

Despite nice elements in this Oscar-nominated Disney feature, the movie was at the time a commercial flop, but deserves to be seen. Full Review

Peter Canavese
February 11, 2011
Peter Canavese, Groucho Reviews

I'm not sure there's anyone alive that believes the 1951 film lives up to Lewis Carroll's deathless 1865 novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, but the animated feature remains a perfectly decent sli... Full Review

James Kendrick
February 1, 2011
James Kendrick, Q Network Film Desk

plays as a series of colorful, but uneven setpieces that lack an interesting or emotionally engaging heroine to tie them together Full Review

Jules Brenner
January 22, 2011
Jules Brenner, Cinema Signals

Charm and relative simplicity play like a time capsule of animated movies past, which remind us of the Disney products that captivated our grandparents. Full Review

Nell Minow
September 9, 2010
Nell Minow, Common Sense Media

Surreal Disney classic with wild-card characters. Full Review

Tim Brayton
November 10, 2009
Tim Brayton, Antagony & Ecstasy

An emotionally chilly exercise... At the same time it is gorgeous indeed, one of the most singular movies in the Disney canon visually. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Alice in Wonderland
    Alice in Wonderland (95%)
  • The Wizard of Oz
    The Wizard of Oz (88%)
  • Alice in Wonderland
    Alice in Wonderland (96%)
  • The Brave Little Toaster
    The Brave Little Toaster (80%)

Facts

• Cheshire Cat: Can you stand on your head?
    • Doorknob: Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.
    • Alice: Curiouser and curiouser!
    • Mad Hatter: A very merry Un-Birthday to you!
    • Queen of Hearts: So where were you going, my child?
    • Alice: Well, I was on my way home and...
    • Queen of Hearts: YOUR WAY? ALWAYS GO MY WAY!
    • Queen of Hearts: OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Alice in Wonderla... : Watch Free on TV

Alice in Wonderland Trivia

• I'm late I'm late For a very important date. No time to say "Hello." Goodbye. I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.   Answer »
  • In which movie does Dina, the Cat, wave to her owner as she falls down a hole?  Answer »
  • In What Movie was the frase "we're all mad in here alice" used?  Answer »
  • What color do the cards paint the roses in 'Alice In Wonderland'?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Video Clips

No video clips yet. Want to upload one?

Meet Other Fans

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin