close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Taylor Lautner, Alfred Molina, Antonique Smith, Maria Bello, Jason Isaacs ... see more see more... , Lily Collins , Sigourney Weaver , Denzel Whitaker , Michael Nyqvist , Tim Griffin , Jake Andolina , Oriah Acima Andrews , Ken Arnold , Steve Blass , Derek Burnell , Benjamin J. Cain Jr. , Holly Scott Cavanaugh , Radick Cembryznski , Richard Cetrone , Mike Clark , Jack Erdie , Rita Gregory , Nathan Hollabaugh , Mike Lee , James Liebro , Frank Lloyd , Christopher Mahoney , Emily Peachey , William Peltz , Elisabeth Röhm , Nickola Shreli , Roger Guenveur Smith , Adam Christian Stanley , Art Terry , Ilia Volok , Cherokee Walker , Allen Williamson

For as long as he can remember, Nathan Harper (Taylor Lautner) has had the uneasy feeling that he's living someone else's life. When he stumbles upon an image of himself as a little boy on a missing p... read more read more...ersons website, all of Nathan's darkest fears come true: he realizes his parents are not his own and his life is a lie, carefully fabricated to hide something more mysterious and dangerous than he could have ever imagined. Just as he begins to piece together his true identity, Nathan is targeted by a team of trained killers, forcing him on the run with the only person he can trust, his neighbor, Karen (Lily Collins). Every second counts as Nathan and Karen race to evade an army of assassins and federal operatives. But as his opponents close in, Nathan realizes that the only way he'll survive and solve the mystery of his elusive biological father is to stop running and take matters into his own hands. -- (C) Lionsgate

Flixster Users

43% liked it

43,712 ratings

Critics

4% liked it

102 critics

DVD Release Date: January 17, 2012

Stats: 3,811 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (3,811)

• April 3, 2014
    May not be the stupidest movie I ever saw, but got to be coming close. No wonder Taylor does not seem to get decent roles! (By the way, I am not a fan, but he is not *that* bad as an actor). This is just a crappy movie with a silly plot.
  • December 13, 2012
    A dumb thriller with a foolish script. Taylor Lautner has one expression, dazed confusion, no matter what kind of danger he's in so involvement in his plight is minimal. Lily Collins is not much better. Quality actors Maria Bello, Jason Isaacs, and Sigourney Weaver are wasted in ... read morenothing parts and Alfred Molina seems as bored as you will be.
  • November 29, 2012
    Some interesting, Hitchcockian twists and turns but overall the acting and less than perfect action sequences make it difficult to watch.
  • June 23, 2012
    A very average action/thriller, more of a teenage Bourne identity. It obviously had plenty of money to be spent on it, but from the very experienced cast none of the performances were that good. It does feel like a collection of ideas from other films, but sadly doesn't do them a... read mores well. Ok if nothing else is on.
  • June 16, 2012
    For the record Taylor lautner didn't make this movie suck. The movie would suck no matter who was the main character. The writer and director especially the writer created an awful movie. I like Taylor lautner though. People hatin on him all the time blamin him for the suckiness ... read moreof this move. The script was awful and the direction was a total fail. The plot didn't make any sense at all, and even at the very end I was like wtf. I'm not entirely sure why the movie is even called "Abduction" because I'm pretty sure from what I watched no one was abducted. In fact, everyone was pretty much off doing their own thing at their free will. I would say that I could've made this movie better, but I don't even think I could turn this movie into a good one without completely rewriting the script and recasting the actors.
  • April 13, 2012
    ABDUCTION isn't a total bomb, but there are two key areas that proved enough as misfires to bring it pretty close. The first of these was the characters. Putting aside the fact that even by the end of the film, we still can't differentiate the trustworthy characters from the cu... read morenning criminals, I'll state the main headache plain as day: we don't really care about Taylor Lautner's character (self-proclaimed "Team Jacob", I won't try to argue with you). Had we a more likable character with a same situation, rather than one who started the movie off by passing out on a friend's lawn, the story would have been more interesting. His character got uneven as the film went on: what kind of "cool kid" cries five times in the course of less than two hours? We would think that someone who was taught to be a great fighter by his father (the one who raised him) would have enough emotional strength to hold back tears, but it often doesn't happen. And that's probably the only point at which the story (misfire number two) isn't predictable. Believe it or not, I watched this because I wanted to see how awful it actually was. I had not heard one good thing about it at all. Once I heard from someone that every action was predictable, I tried to rent this as soon as possible to detect how much of an exaggeration that was. I was shocked by the infinitesimal amount of stretching imposed upon the truth with that statement. I wouldn't say I predicted 100% of the film, but it's somewhere around 80%. Which is a bummer, because I'm terrible at predicting even the most broad points of movies. The premise was so open and familiar that the twist on which the film ended became obvious to me a good amount of time before it actually occurred. That said, followers of "Team Jacob" (*cough, cough* the main part of what's wrong with the world today) will love this film, but that's because they'll be looking over everything except Taylor. I'll admit to turning off my mind for a few minutes to try and enjoy the action sequences, but after a few minutes or so, I got bored.

READ THE FULL REVIEW OF THIS DREADFULLY TYPICAL ACTION MOVIE:
    themoviefreakblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/review-abduction/
  • March 24, 2012
    It's like a young Bourne Identity. Teenager discovers his parents aren't his real parents. He doesn't know who to trust.
  • March 19, 2012
    Cast: Taylor Lautner, Lily Collins, Alfred Molina, Jason Isaacs, Maria Bello, Michael Nyqvist, Sigourney Weaver, Antonique Smith, Denzel Whitaker

Director:John Singleton

Summary: When teenager Nathan comes across his own childhood picture while scrolling through a missing pers... read moreons website, he begins to question everything he ever took for granted -- including the people he always assumed were his parents.

My Thoughts: "I wasn't looking forward to seeing this film, I had been warned how awful it was, but yet here I am giving my thoughts on it and I have a 13yr old to thank for it. Now to the movie... I tried to look past how ridiculous Taylor Lautner's acting is but I couldn't. It was like instead of acting, he was trying to make sure he was coming off really cool. His acting leaves something to be desired. I did think Lily Collins was good in the movie. So was the small parts of Maria Bello and Jason Issacs. The movie is filled with talented actor's and actresses who unfortunately aren't used nearly enough. Lautner comes off too stiff and needs to relax and become the character and not try to put himself into it so much. Oh and am I the only one who thought the kissing scene on the train was gross and awkward? I felt sorry for the girl. It sounded like her face was being sucked off. I actually liked Taylor in the 'Twilight' films. I don't know what went wrong in this one for him. But his acting wasn't the only bad thing. I could also blame the weak story. Maybe he'll do better in future film with a better script."
  • February 19, 2012
    A fairly entertaining and thrilling action movie. A surprisingly smart, stylish and suspensful stunt-packed thriller that keeps your heart-pouunding every step of the way. Its full of fire-power, fist, kicks and fantastic stunt work.
  • fb100000145236770
    February 17, 2012
    fb100000145236770
    "Abduction" is a movie made for one sole purpose, to show off Taylor Lautner. While he has the look, he can't act and has zero charisma. Just like this movie, so it's a perfect match. The movie is bland, the story is weak, and the action is lame at best. Lautner(Nathan) is a ... read moreteenager who feels "different" on the inside from everyone else. Then one day he comes across a website that shows his picture as a missing child. From there, he is chased by Russian assassins and the CIA. Actually, no one gets abducted in this movie(and its called abduction!). If your a Lautner fan, or a fan of horrible action movies, then this is for you. Otherwise, steer clear of this cause it'll be found in the crap section.

Critic Reviews

David Jenkins
September 27, 2011
David Jenkins, Time Out

While the ultra-banal dialogue draws the occasional titter, the action scenes are tame and it's rife with plot holes that you could navigate a burning blimp through. Full Review

Tom Russo
September 26, 2011
Tom Russo, Boston Globe

The movie is a more objective opportunity to assess Lautner's potential as a general-purpose action hero once his emo-goth run wraps. You might not want to go betting on that one. Full Review

Benjamin Mercer
September 25, 2011
Benjamin Mercer, Village Voice

A blockhead espionage thriller from director-for-hire John Singleton (Boyz N the Hood). Full Review

James Berardinelli
September 25, 2011
James Berardinelli, ReelViews

Perhaps the only way to approach Abduction that will not result in a 105-minute boredom-induced coma is to think of it as a comedy, preferably with a drinking game attached. Full Review

Nathan Rabin
September 23, 2011
Nathan Rabin, AV Club

Singleton once radiated ambition and vision. These days, he seems to be aiming for mediocrity at best. Even by those extraordinarily lenient standards, the inessential, perfunctory Abduction falls short. Full Review

Andrew O'Hehir
September 23, 2011
Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

Sadly, it's impossible to fake the faintest enthusiasm for this picture, which is a fourth-rate Hollywood thriller that bungles a lot of thievery from better movies. Full Review

Liam Lacey
September 23, 2011
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

Whether the fault was haste or cynicism, Abduction feels like a movie designed to ride on the back of Twilight's phenomenal success, with held noses and paycheques all around. Full Review

Owen Gleiberman
September 23, 2011
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

[Lautner's] not a terrible actor, but if he wants a career after the Twilight fades, he'll pick better films. Full Review

Joe Neumaier
September 23, 2011
Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News

A ridiculously cheesy confection filled with unthrilling thrills, bored-looking adults and a comically overstuffed backstory. Full Review

Keith Uhlich
September 23, 2011
Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York

Twi-Hards shall attend en masse. Adults shall roll their eyes. And on our human comedy shall go. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Taken
    Taken (60%)
  • Gone
    Gone (0%)
  • Stormbreaker (Alex Rider: Operation Stormbreaker)
    Stormbreaker (Alex Rider: Operation Stormbrea... (0%)

Facts

• Nathan: Trust needs to be earned.
    • Nathan: They killed my parents!
    • Agent Frank Burton: They weren't your real parents.
    • Kozlow: I can guarantee this: if you don't surrender that list, I will killing every friend you have, Zake, Keelie, neighbors, even your boring teachers, and when i'm finished you will be responsible for the death of every friend you have on facebook.
    • Nathan: What's my real name?
    • Kozlow: There's a bomb in the oven.
    • Nathan: Not if I find you first!

Abduction : Watch Free on TV

Abduction Trivia

• What is the name of the 1993 movie that tells the story of the famous Travis Walton alien abduction?  Answer »
  • This movie is based on true events surrounding an alien abduction in Arizona in 1975.  Answer »
  • Who played mastermind for the abduction of Mel Gibson's son in the movie Ransom  Answer »
  • The movie "Fire in the sky" starring DB Sweeney is based on a true story about an alien abduction.  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for Abduction. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?