Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker ... see more see more... , Kellan Lutz , Clancy Brown , Connie Britton , Lia D. Mortensen , Julianna Damm , Christian Stolte , Katie Schooping Knight , Hailey Schooping Knight , Leah Uteg , Don Robert Cass , Kurt Naebig , Kyra Krumins , Brayden Coyer , Max Holt , Andrew Fiscella , Bob Kizer , Pete Kelly , Jason Brandstetter , Rob Riley , Scott Lindvall , Dominick Coviello , Parker Bagley , Jennifer Robers , Tania Randall , Logan Stalzer , Christopher Woods , Joseph Mazurk

A group of suburban teenagers share one common bond: they are all being stalked by Freddy Krueger, a horribly disfigured killer who hunts them in their dreams. As long as they stay awake, they can pro... read more read more...tect one another, but when they sleep, there is no escape.

Flixster Users

44% liked it

198,341 ratings

Critics

15% liked it

169 critics

DVD Release Date: October 5, 2010

Stats: 15,286 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (15,286)

• January 13, 2013
    pointless remake of a classic, ruined by making the once terrifying Freddy into nothing more than an over sun burnt Jimmy Savile.
  • October 30, 2012
    Another pointless remake that totally misunderstands what was so good about the original. I'm guessing they thought they were making a better film by removing the comedy elements (which all good 80s horror films possess) and making the gore more realistic and Freddy that little m... read moreore sinister. Firstly, it's the humour, the over the top effects that make the original franchise popular and as much as I like Jackie Earle Haley, Robert Englund is Freddy Kruger and he's so iconic in the role you just can't replace him. It's forgettable, I watched it last night and I'm struggling to remember how it ended already!
  • fb1563632850
    August 6, 2012
    fb1563632850
    Wts
  • fb100000040220993
    May 31, 2012
    fb100000040220993
    It's amazing to me that filmmakers can't summon up competent remakes of old horror films. Given the source material, and the advancements in special effects, a remake of "A Nightmare On Elm Street", should have been a slam dunk. Instead, it was a miserable, and often boring, di... read moresaster. The writing is awful, the characters are lifeless, and the use of C.G.I. in the dream sequences is underwhelming. Jackie Earle Haley's interpretation of Freddy was passable, but there's no way it could overcome the mundane storytelling. This movie is garbage.
  • fb100000716838411
    May 14, 2012
    fb100000716838411
    I feel sorry for whoever was involved in this movie. Not only did they waste their time, but they got payed for basically ruining the original movie which is one of the best horror movies of all time. The remake to the 1984 Nightmare on Elm Street just shows that remakes never as... read more good as the original. (With few exceptions) Freddy Krueger is just going around killing teens in their dreams and that's the gist of the plot. One thing I was really bothered by is that the scenes in this movie are taken exactly from the original, even almost shot for shot. I know it's a remake, but if you don't add something new then the movie is just dull. The characters in this version aren't as likeable either. In this version Nancy just looks all goth and looks like she doesn't like anybody or anything. The original potrayed Nancy as charismatic and believable as a tortured teen afraid of dreaming. The actors are all really boring as well. Rooney Mara plays Nancy and her line reading is enough to put anyone to sleep. (I suppose if she wants to prevent her friends from sleeping all she has to do is just shut up.) Jackie Earle Haley takes on the role of Freddy Krueger and I really don't like that choice. He talks like he has throat cancer and he's not as fun as Robert Englund's Freddy. The original Freddy was dark and twisted but he also had a funny side to him. ("Welcome to prime time, bitch!") Also, Freddy's design in this is just stupid looking. He looks like Lord Voldemort's Asian brother. Despite my dislike for how depressing the film felt, I felt like the production value for this movie did a good job of matching that of the original. If you're a fan of Freddy Krueger, stick with the original. This version is just a mess and doesn't deliver the scares the way the original did. (Don't even get me started on the CGI wall scene in this movie.)
  • March 30, 2012
    A pathetic excuse for an effective re-make, the film does a poor job of capturing any real images of horror, and casting it with C grade actors that do a poor job of giving us a good picture of a character.
  • January 26, 2012
    God I hated the emo look. Not neccesarily a bad film but more of a misfire. As Michael Bay always tends to do with his films, he makes this remake of the horror cult classic visually remarkable with amazing cinematography and very realistic gory effects. Jackie Earle Haley does a... read more decent job portraying Freddy. He's not Robert Englund but he manages to capture the surreal humour that made the character so memorable. It's also the only Platinum Dunes horror remake that tries to better it's inspirational predecessor. As the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was a god awful cash cow. The acting of the teens however is dull and unconvincing and the film suffers from a very cliched script. But ignoring the performances of the cast you have to conclude whether it was scary or not. I jumped quite a lot through out. Freddy didn't scare me. As great as Haley is portraying him he just wasn't that frightening. It was the dark atmosphere and the sinister overtones that creeped me out. It wont age nor will it carry even a fraction of nostalgia like the original in years to come. But this series rehash is probably the best film Bay will ever make alongside the Friday remake. The Friday remake was better than the film that inspired it. Nightmare on Elm Street's remake? Certainly Not.
  • fb100000145236770
    December 27, 2011
    fb100000145236770
    One of my all time favorite horror movies is "Nightmare on Elm Street". Freddy Kruger is by far my favorite villain from any film franchise. As with any remake, I prayed that they did it justice and not butcher the hell out of it(like Rob Zombie's "Halloween"). Well, the remak... read moree is both good and bad. The good, Jackie Earle Haley does a good job making Freddy his own and giving the character a fresh breathe of air. That being said, Robert England is, and always will be Freddy in my eyes. But for the sake of a remake, Haley could have been a lot worse. All the kids are good and well cast for what their roles are meant to be. The remake follows the same template as the original. Freddy Kruger has come back to haunt the teenagers of Springwood, Ohio's dreams and kill them in their sleep. Where they chance it up, is by telling more of his back story this time around. Honestly, I felt it wasn't needed, as the original was so effective because the less you knew about Freddy, the scarier he was. Not the worse remake, but not the best either. As decent as it is, it is ultimately a needless movie, because anyone who wants to see Freddy will go back to the original. There's a reason these remakes aren't referred to as classics;-)
  • November 9, 2011
    I think I've overstated how much I didn't like this film in other places, but let me reiterate a bit. The remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is such a loathsome and lame attempt to re-envision a classic film series that it's preposterous. Destroying the characters of both Freddy... read more and Nancy, this is the "emo" version of Nightmare, and it doesn't work at all. I don't care about any of these characters and I could care even less about their demise, which is one of the movie's major flaws. The Nightmare series has always worked under the assumption that the audience can relate to the characters and care about what they're going through, unlike most other horror movies. Unfortunately, for this movie, all of that is thrown out and we're left with a hackneyed remake that ends up being the most forgettable film in the franchise by a mile or more.
  • fb729949618
    October 26, 2011
    fb729949618
    Of all of the remakes: Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street.......this is the most awful in comparison. First off, I didn't like this Freddy and it DID NOT feel like the original in any way what so ever. Disappointed.

Critic Reviews

Owen Gleiberman
September 7, 2011
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

I did jump a few times, and I liked Haley's dour malevolence, but overall, the new Nightmare on Elm Street is a by-the-numbers bad dream. Full Review

Christine Champ
May 6, 2011
Christine Champ, Film.com

Freddy's back -- and he's slicker and more sinister than ever. Full Review

Peter Travers
May 14, 2010
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

It's the Bay touch you feel in the way actors register as body count, characters go undeveloped, and sensation trumps feeling. A nightmare, indeed. Full Review

Nigel Floyd
May 6, 2010
Nigel Floyd, Time Out

This is the worst yet from Michael Bay's horror production company Platinum Dunes, which also brought you rubbish re-makes of Halloween and Friday the 13th. Full Review

Stephen Garrett
May 5, 2010
Stephen Garrett, Time Out New York

Jackie Earle Haley's Krueger is a blast, but the child-molester twist is more depressingly clinical than dream-logic harrowing. Full Review

Liam Lacey
April 30, 2010
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

The result of the new Nightmare is, at best, a kind of stand-off between predictability and competent execution. Full Review

Tom Long
April 30, 2010
Tom Long, Detroit News

A Nightmare on Elm Street may be the most unneeded movie of the year. And that's saying something. Full Review

A.O. Scott
April 30, 2010
A.O. Scott, New York Times

Traffics in overly familiar scare tactics, setting up predictable false alarms and telegraphing in advance just when Freddy will pop into the frame and utter one of his labored witticisms. Full Review

Chris Vognar
April 30, 2010
Chris Vognar, Dallas Morning News

The jump scares, given a little extra oomph by the ever-looming possibility of a double wake-up, do what they're supposed to do. They make you jump. Full Review

Jen Chaney
April 30, 2010
Jen Chaney, Washington Post

All we can think of is how much we miss the Robert Englund Freddy. Man, that guy knew how to have a killer good time. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Freddy vs. Jason
    Freddy vs. Jason (95%)
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (96%)
  • Stephen King's It
    Stephen King's It (90%)
  • My Bloody Valentine
    My Bloody Valentine (100%)

Facts

• Inmate: I'm innocent! Let me outta here! Get me the fuck outta here!
    • Freddy Krueger: Why are you screamin'? I haven't even cut you yet.
    • Nancy Holbrook: It hurts, doesn't it? That's because you're in my world now, bitch!
    • Freddy Krueger: You can't hurt me. This is my world. And you can't ever leave.
    • Freddy Krueger: You really shouldn't fall asleep in class.
    • Freddy Krueger: Hi Kris
    • Kris Fowles: Who are you?
    • Freddy Krueger: You look just as beautiful as ever.
    • Freddy Krueger: You have nothing to worry about. This wont hurt one... little... bit.
    • Quentin Smith: We were wrong. He's not after us because we lied. He's after us because we told the truth.
    • Nancy Holbrook: He brought us here so we could remember what he did to us.

A Nightmare on El... : Watch Free on TV

A Nightmare on Elm Street Trivia

• I which movie did Heather Langenkamp play Nancy a girl who has nightmares that are the same as her friends.  Answer »
  • "One, two- Freddie comes for you. Three, four- Better lock the door. Five, six- Get your crucifix. Seven, eight- Better stay up late. Nine, ten- Never sleep again." Name THE FIRST one of a series of movies that has this rhyme in it.  Answer »
  • What horror movie involes a badly burned man with knives on his fingers?  Answer »
  • In what "Nightmare on Elm Street", does the character Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) die in?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin