Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Brie Larson, Dave Franco, Rob Riggle ... see more see more... , DeRay Davis , Ice Cube , Dax Flame , Chris Parnell , Ellie Kemper , Jake M. Johnson , Nick Offerman , Holly Robinson Peete , Johnny Pemberton , Stanley Wong , Justin Hires , Brett Lapeyrouse , Lindsey Broad , Caroline Aaron , Joe Chrest , Geraldine Singer , Dakota Johnson , Rye Rye , Valerie Tian , Jaren Mitchell , Johnny Simmons , Keith Kurtz , Randal Reeder , Peter Epstein , Anthony Molinari , Luis Da Silva Jr. , Dominic Alexander , Mike Seal , Spencer Boldman , Joe Nin Williams , Chad Hessler , Kevin Murphy , Victor Paguia , Chanel Celaya , Carol Sutton , Andrea Frankle , Tiffney Wagoner , Andrea Madison , Hristo Birbochukov , Candi Brooks , Turner Crumbley , Haley Elizabeth Farris , Brittany Alger , Joshua Nelms , Courtney Jarrell , Melissa Cordero , Beau DeLatte , Charles Ferrara , Mark Adams , Brian Heath Rossitto

In the action-comedy 21 Jump Street, Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) are more than ready to leave their adolescent problems behind. Joining the police force and the secret Jump Street ... read more read more...unit, they use their youthful appearances to go undercover in a local high school. As they trade in their guns and badges for backpacks, Schmidt and Jenko risk their lives to investigate a violent and dangerous drug ring. But they find that high school is nothing like they left it just a few years earlier - and neither expects that they will have to confront the terror and anxiety of being a teenager again and all the issues they thought they had left behind. -- (C) Sony Pictures

Flixster Users

82% liked it

249,272 ratings

Critics

85% liked it

209 critics

DVD Release Date: June 26, 2012

Stats: 16,042 reviews

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (16,042)

• June 27, 2014
    21 Jump Street was an unexpected surprise. It's the funniest film of 2012 and amidst all the laughs manages to accurately portray the modern day high school. While the script is smart and the self-referential jokes are welcome, the movie belongs to its stars Jonah Hill and Channi... read moreng Tatum. They are a great comedy duo. This movie alone made me a fan of Tatum.
  • June 22, 2014
    More of the same. A 100 min. (approx.) journey that wasn't jumpy enough to enjoy the ride. Besides, the casting disappointed big time.
  • fb733768972
    June 12, 2014
    fb733768972
    "21 Jump Street" may seem like a pointless reboot/remake of the classic Johnny Depp television show, and it pretty much is, but the thing that makes this film so great is the fact that it acknowledges that it is unoriginal and comes up with jokes that are actually funny! Somethin... read moreg that has been missing from many comedies lately. The subtle points the film makes about being a film are hilarious, the chemistry between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is arousing (watch the movie to see what I mean), and the directing is fantastic. The pace of this movie could not have been any better. Also, I welcome with open arms, James Franco's brother Dave, who, in his very first film role is great, even though some of his characters dialogue is a bit over-the-top. This is a film that should have been a disaster, but turned out to be a laugh-out-loud genius comedy. There are also some cameo's and some hidden background elements that pretty much trash the fact that films have too much product placement. Even though some parts go a little too far, and there are a lot, and I mean a lot of dick jokes, "21 Jump Street" is the best comedy of the year so far, and overall probably one of my favourite comedies.
  • February 16, 2014
    three stars
  • January 28, 2014
    I laughed so hard so many times in this movie. Some scenes are ridiculously stupid and others are surprisingly really smart. In addition, Hill and Tatum have a great chemistry that makes their exchanges especially entertaining. 21 Jump Street makes up for flaws in its story by be... read moreing highly enjoyable and absolutely hysterical.
  • September 6, 2013
    Fresh reboot for '21 Jump Street' series with the fresh performance from Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill..
  • January 30, 2013
    This movie was absolutely hilarious, and to its credit, wove in a real sense of humour about the ridiculousness of its mere existence; it had me from the moment that the police chief explained away the placement of the two delinquent cop heroes in the high school enforcement proj... read moreect with a comment about how the people who run this stuff lack creativity and are always resurrecting some lame program from the past and trying to pass it off as new (while Hill and Tatum listen, completely straight-faced). It's a buddy-cop, reluctant partner, action-comedy that's jammed with wise cracks, slapstick and mistaken identity, not to mention plenty more winks at the camera - and on top of it all, it tells a decent story about popularity, achievement and friendship. One of those rare comedies I know I could watch a hundred times, and among the most sadly overlooked films of 2012.
  • fb791220692
    January 18, 2013
    fb791220692
    My favorite movie of 2012.
  • January 2, 2013
    Not the most memorable comedy but it's good enough. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is great, but not only that, they create likable characters that we can relate to. There's a couple gross-out gags that I found unfunny, but otherwise "21 Jump Street" succeeds... read more in bringing laughs.
  • October 11, 2012
    21 Jump Street ran on TV from 1987-1991 and is mainly known as serving as a launching pad for eventual mega movie star Johnny Depp... and Richard Greico too. Youthful looking police officers infiltrated high schools and tackled topical issues of the day (what snap bracelet goes b... read moreest with my high-waisted jeans?). Why would anyone want to make this movie, let alone comic actor Jonah Hill? Surprising in just about every way, especially when it comes to overall quality, the 21 Jump Street movie is not just a great comedy but also a great movie. How the hell did this happen, Movie Gods?

Officer Schmidt (Hill) is smart but shrimpy (which is saying something considering how dangerous Hill's weight has been before). Officer Jenko (Channing Tatum) is a stud but pretty dimwitted when it comes to tests. The two form a partnership and get assigned as bicycle cops, not exactly the position of command and authority they were expecting. After a few screw-ups, including failing to read a suspect his Miranda rights ("You... have the right... to be an attorney"), the duo gets bounced to an old undercover program at, you guessed it, 21 Jump Street. The pair is supposed to pose as high school students and find out who's supplying teenagers a dangerous new club drug. Much has changed since Schmidt and Jenko were in high school together, and both of their profiles were accidentally swapped, meaning Jenko is given AP chemistry and the higher level classes, and Schmidt is given gym and acting courses, where he's supposed to work his way into the popular circles. Molly (Brie Larson) is a gal in that popular inner circle and Schmidt struggles to accept that a pretty, smart, popular girl might actually "like like" him.

I knew I was in for something special when the movie itself lambastes the very idea of a 21 Jump Street movie, with the police chief (Parks and Recreation's Nick Offerman) ridiculing the idea of unoriginal nitwits recycling something old that has name recognition and hoping the public will be too dumb to care. The movie beats the audience to the punch every time, mocking the absurdity of its own premise and plot points (many characters note how old Jenko appears). I should have expected more from screenwriter Michael Bacall (co-writer of the Scott Pilgrim movie adaptation) and especially from directors Phil Lord and Chris Hill, the same pair whose rambunctious comedic verve radiated from every frame of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and their brilliant short-lived animated MTV show, Clone High. This movie had me laughing a lot and had me laughing hard, doubling over, with-tears-in-my-eyes laughter at points. Dickson spouts, "Some kid overdoses on drugs. And because he's white, people actually give a s***," showing that a movie with a mind-blowing number of male genitalia jokes can provide a few shrewd jabs of social commentary. There's a great bit where on their first day back in school, Jenko points out the various school cliques. Then he gets to a group of students in skinny jeans, thrift store clothes, and floppy hats, and he looks puzzled. "I don't know what those kids are?" Ha, because hipsters didn't exist back in his (my) day.

21 Jump Street is cheeky, rowdy, quick-witted and playful in the best sense of an action comedy. It's got fish-out-of-water moments as the duo struggle to fit in with a different high school setting. The one-liners and riffs can be gut-busters, but the film does an even better job layering oddball gags (Korean Jesus), loony slapstick, fun but telling character moments (Schmidt not knowing how to end a prayer: "The end, right? 'The end'?"), strong setups that have stronger payoffs (using the reading of Miranda rights as a genuine emotional climax), and an overall raucous, anarchic spirit.

Here's one sequence in particular that shows off the film's clever comedic chops. The film finds a way to satirize the tropes of action movies, particularly buddy cop movies, with such nimble precision. Schmidt and Jenko are on the run but their car chase keeps butting heads with the fabricated reality of Hollywood movie chases. For one, they keep finding themselves getting stuck in traffic on the highway. This forces them to have to keep abandoning cars and finding a new set of wheels ahead of the gridlock. Then, as the bad guys chase them down on motorcycles, the chase causes all sorts of chaotic collateral damage, including oil trucks riddled with bullet holes and dripping the flammable substance all over the road. Then one of the motorcycles skids into the flammable muck, and our heroes wince in preparation of the expected explosion, and then nothing happens. "Huh. I really thought that was going to explode," one of them remarks casually. And this setup is repeated again, denying us the explosive equation that action movies have pummeled into our brains (car + any tap of force = humungous fireball), and there is a payoff to this comedic tweak on the cliché, and it is silly and terrifically funny. Plus, I haven't even mentioned that both Schmidt and Jenko are dressed in silly outfits and begin their car chase in a driver's ed car. This sequence is just one example of the anarchic, robust, and self-aware comedic attitude that the movie flaunts.

But more than being a hysterical action picture, 21 Jump Street works even better because at its core is a level of sweetness, a satisfying mixture of lewd and heart like the best Judd Apatow ventures. It's a bromance of epic proportions even by buddy cop standards, the old school bromance vehicle of its day. The guys go back to high school and the movie's bright switcheroo puts the characters in opposite social spheres, with Schmidt with the cool kids and Jenko struggling with the social misfits and bottom-dwellers, a.k.a. nerds. Of course the whole class assignment also shows the façade of being cool in high school. The movie could have mined this well-worn stereotypical class conflict with ease, but instead it decides to use its contrived scenario as a jumpstart for the guy's emotional growth. The lessons may be simplistic (perils of ego, believe in yourself, teamwork, personal responsibility) but that doesn't make them bad lessons, and the fact that the flick seriously uses covalent bonds as a metaphor, and does so in an almost poignant fashion, is worth applauding. The relationship between Schmidt and Jenko engages the audience, and we root for them even when they're behaving like jerks. They're misfits who are doubted and reprimanded, which make us hope for their eventual success even more. Refreshingly, the movie doesn't put them in opposing camps in high school. Schmidt was a dweeb and Jenko was a dumb jock, but that doesn't mean they needed to be adversarial. When they regroup in the police academy, they form a genuine partnership, realizing they can assist one another. They form an actual friendship and they're both better cops, and better characters, together.

Hill and Tatum have preposterously good chemistry together as a comic duo. Hill, a co-writer himself, reportedly had to remain steadfast to convince Tatum to join forces, and thank god he stuck it out. Hill's already a comic pro at this point, though this role tones down his comical rancor and ups the spaz awkwardness. Tatum is the true revelation. Man does this guy have really great comedic skills; a sharp, instinctive sense of timing, a pliable physicality, and a genial charisma that doesn't demand solo attention. He's good at playing dumb without going overboard. He's not just good, he's flat-out terrific. Larson (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) is an adorable and plucky love interest, sure of herself, down to earth, and accessibly quirky. The supporting cast shines in their small roles, notable Ice Cube (Lottery Ticket) as the typical brash and loud police captain, Ellie Kemper (Bridesmaids), in her randiest roll yet, as a chemistry teacher awkwardly flirting with the hunky Jenko, Dave Franco (Fright Night) as an eco-friendly drug dealer, Rob Riggle (The Other Guys) as an aggressive gym teacher, and a special cameo that's worth leaving unspoiled.

21 Jump Street has some weaker points, namely when the action ramps up it's pretty mundane when it's not being funny, but the faults are minor. This is a silly, shrewd, salacious, and outright thrill of giddy entertainment, a comic blast. Hill and Tatum have a wonderful comedic dynamic and the clever screenplay gives them plenty to do with their talents. I didn't think it was possible to adapt the cheesy TV show into a worthwhile studio comedy, but Hill and company have exceeded every expectation. 21 Jump Street isn't the most nuanced or subtle comedy, though I will argue spiritedly that it has plenty of smarts in all the right places, but it's an affectionate, witty, and rambunctious night out at the movies that will be hard to beat this spring.

Nate's Grade: A-

Critic Reviews

Richard Brody
March 26, 2012
Richard Brody, New Yorker

The late-eighties TV series is rebooted with jolts of sentiment, personal discovery, and wild comedy. Full Review

William Goss
March 16, 2012
William Goss, Film.com

The whole crew makes clear its affections for action cinema, trashy television and the YouTube generation alike while having fun at the expense of all three. Full Review

Stephen Whitty
March 16, 2012
Stephen Whitty, Newark Star-Ledger

A raucous, raunchy comedy. Full Review

Peter Travers
March 16, 2012
Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

This bracing new take on 21 Jump Street has a playful spark all its own. It's a blast. Full Review

Liam Lacey
March 16, 2012
Liam Lacey, Globe and Mail

A try-anything, fitfully amusing muddle that wears its mocking cynicism a bit too proudly. Full Review

Tom Long
March 16, 2012
Tom Long, Detroit News

"21" makes clear from the beginning it is gobbling up some pop culture refuse in the name of nothing more than making fun of it and having fun with it. Full Review

Kyle Smith
March 16, 2012
Kyle Smith, New York Post

This is the funniest movie I've seen in more than a year. Full Review

Ann Hornaday
March 16, 2012
Ann Hornaday, Washington Post

"21 Jump Street" might be yet another product of Hollywood's recycling program, but it deserves to be noticed. Full Review

Richard Roeper
March 15, 2012
Richard Roeper, Richard Roeper.com

I didn't think we needed a '21 Jump Street,' but it's actually kind of funny. Full Review

Betsy Sharkey
March 15, 2012
Betsy Sharkey, Los Angeles Times

Miller and Lord clearly understand the push-and-pull and hyper-competitiveness that make guy friendships both complex and stupid. Full Review

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• Superbad
    Superbad (96%)
  • Hot Fuzz
    Hot Fuzz (94%)
  • The Other Guys
    The Other Guys (96%)
  • Marvel's The Avengers
    Marvel's The Avengers (40%)

Facts

• Captain Dickson: Rule number 2 on Jump Street. Burns.
    • Burns: Do not have sexual relations with students or teachers, sir.
    • Captain Dickson: You hear that? That's you. Don't do it man. Keep that dirty dick in your pants. Don't fuck no students. Don't fuck no teachers.
    • Schmidt: Sir, I know we come off as a couple of lady killers, but i promise you we'll be super professional at the job.
    • Captain Dickson: Clearly I wasn't talking to you big titties. You cherub-looking mother fucker.
    • Annie Schmidt: I love dick? You think that's funny? Wonder Years douche? What kind of a sick animal draws an ejaculating penis into an eight year old's mouth?
    • Jenko: Kind of looks like...an airplane...throwing up.
    • Annie Schmidt: You think I don't know that's a dick and balls? I know all about dick and balls! I used to party with Robert Downey Jr. before he got sober when he was really fucked up and a lot of fun!
    • Jenko: I didn't punch him because he was gay. I punched him...and then he happened to turn out to be gay afterwards.
    • Deputy Chief Hardy: You going anywhere Schmidt? We've got time.
    • Schmidt: I had a thing but I could probably push it back
    • Domingo: You don't look like cops. You look like kids on the Halloween.
    • Jenko: Do you want me to beat your dick off?
    • Domingo: You want to beat my dick off?
    • Jenko: Yeah I'll beat your dick off, both hands. Let's go.
    • Domingo: That's just sick man.
    • Schmidt: I think what he means is he is gonna punch you so many times in the genital area that your dick is just gonna fall off.
    • Deputy Chief Hardy: Did you say, You have the right to be an attorney?
    • Schmidt: He could be an attorney if he wants.

21 Jump Street : Watch Free on TV

21 Jump Street Trivia

• What actor was in a Platoon, came From Hell and liked to play cops on 21 Jump Street?  Answer »
  • What tv show did Johnny Deppe start his career on?  Answer »
  • What actor began his career on 21 Jump Street going on to star in movies such as Benny & Joon and Chocolat?  Answer »
  • which actor played a role of a cop in 21 jump street?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for 21 Jump Street. Want to create one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?