Get movie widget Recommend it Add to Favorites

Sam Riley, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Ray Winstone, Michael Shannon ... see more see more... , Curtis Jackson , Emmanuelle Chriqui , Alexander Skarsgård , David Zayas , Ben Gazzara , Ronald Guttman , John Bedford Lloyd , Alan Davidson , Gaby Hoffmann , Michael Berry Jr. , Alice Barrett-Mitchell , Stephen Beach , Michael D'Onofrio , Starla Benford , Daisy Tahan , Carlos Reig-Plaza , Forrest Griffin , Ed Bergtold , John Hoffman , Doug Kruse , J.D. Thompson , Chuck Zito , Anthony Chisholm , Stephen Gevedon , Ricky Garcia , Doug Torres , Danny Rutigliano , Jamison Ernest , Joseph Debona , Temur Babluani , Lars Gerhard , Toru Ohno , Scotty Dillin , Don Frye , Prianga Pieris , Brad Gallagher , Omar Hernandez , David Conley , Rock Kohli , George Feaster , Chris McKinney , Frank Senger , Martin Murphy , Mark Halvis , Dan Paragon , William Fowle , Robert Testut , Roberto Rizzo , David Scott Klein , William Posner , Robert Freedman , John Fiore , Jerry Goralnick , Jeff Burchfield , Wayne Duvall , Darrell Larson , Paul Butler , Nacho Figueras , Peter Figlia , Howard W. Overshown , Paul Lucas , Glen Trotiner , Ray Liotta , 50 Cent

Vince Ferro is a man in desperate circumstances. While on a quick fix-it job, he steals an envelope containing instructions for a mysterious job that promises a potential fortune. He assumes a false i... read more read more...dentity and follows the instructions, only to find himself a numbered participant in an underworld Russian roulette competition, where gamblers place bets on who'll survive when the trigger is pulled. The stakes are high, but the payout is more than he can resist. Many are competing for the first time, and a precious few have even returned to play again, but are his odds any better than other players in this most deadly game? What will it take to be the last man standing? -- (C) Anchor Bay

Flixster Users

34% liked it

5,453 ratings

Critics

8% liked it

13 critics

R, 1 hr. 37 min.

Directed by: Géla Babluani

Release Date: October 28, 2011

Invite friends to see

DVD Release Date: November 8, 2011

Stats: 589 reviews

Photos

Your Rating

clear rating

Flixster Reviews (589)

• October 30, 2012
    A sharp, stylish, edgy and tension-charged thriller. It's a thrilling, nail-biting and exceptionally performed and well-crafted film. Director, Gela Bablunai takes his classic original film and gives it a new life and darkness to explore for a new audience. A story with intense c... read morehoices, compelling characters and brutally explosive consequences that chill you to the bone. A chilling and suspenseful movie that's gut-wrenching, cripplingly disturbing and eye-opening, strong and riveting movie. It packs a full-clip of intensity and has the impact of a hot slug from a gun. An outstanding cast of actors who do a great job with their supporting roles. Sam Riley gives an excellent performance, making a wonderful lead character. Ray Winstone is brilliant. Mickey Rourke is fantastic Rourke and Winstone add some empathy to their characters due to their harsh surroundings and brutal nature that surrounds them. Jason Statham is terrific, he brings a great mystery to his character as well as greed and brief emotional regret.
  • May 14, 2012
    3 3/4's for me. This movie really had my heart racing. A little rough around the edges. Definitely Independent film style. Definitely suspenseful. My husband thought that this was a strange movie..I found it intriguing, and a bit shocking, at times. Plenty of familiar faces were ... read moreinvlolved in this project...
  • April 18, 2011
    Very good movie, impressive! I heard this was a remake, I didn't see the original but this was a very edgy heart-pumping film. The movie keeps you guessing what's gonna happen and even though some actors are not used to there full potential it was good enough. Loved the ending ve... read morery wicked!!!

A naive young man assumes a dead man's identity and finds himself embroiled in an underground world of power, violence, and chance where men gamble behind closed doors on the lives of other men.
  • February 18, 2011
    one of the improved and good remaked movie's, that's full of tension and thrilling, put me in a state of high tension.... I like it
  • December 7, 2010
    After watching the original, it was the first time I believed a Hollywood remake could be an improvement. I'm amazed to find out I was right. All of my hangups concerning the original have been addressed here. First of all, Babluani has an exceptional eye for color. It adds to th... read moree depth and tragic aesthetic, more so than black and white. I found this film to be very tense at times, whereas the original just sort of limped along. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still enthralled and captivated. This was mainly due to the inclusion of some humanity to the piece. More characters are explored and defined. Even minor roles explode, such as Skarsgard's caring driver. The only flat acting comes from 50 Cent. Luckily, he's quite a minor role. Michael Shannon takes a simple role as an emcee, and transforms it into a terrifying and interesting character. The man is cinematic dynamite and has an intensity that is now being recognized. Winstone and Rourke add some empathy to their hard men roles. For s a film I had already seen, this was still exciting stuff, and I enjoyed it on more levels than the original. Well done to the director for improving on his potential.
  • December 14, 2011
    Unfortunately, 13 is a rather dull and monotonous film that lacks any compelling characters. With some big-name stars like Jason Statham and Mickey Rourke one would expect something quite formidable, but the film underperforms on every level. There's some potential in this stor... read morey about a high stakes, underground Russian roulette competition, but it's poorly executed. Though 13 has some interesting ideas, it fails to shape them into a compelling drama.
  • fb721890245
    December 17, 2012
    fb721890245
    The English language remake of 13 Tzameti is just garbage and it is garbage that captures a lot of high priced actors. Just...don't bother.
  • May 28, 2012
    The film was a big disappointment. With a great ensemble, I was expecting the film to be much better. They had a good idea, but didn't execute it correctly. A lot of the characters weren't developed well. It also seemed that a lot of the actors did the film for the paycheck. The ... read morefilm reminded me of movies like the Hunger Games, Death Race, Gamer, and the Running Man. Only those films were better than this one.
  • January 28, 2012
    Not nearly as bad as the critics have said, 13 offers an interesting premise, decent acting, and always manages to be engaging. The cast features such greats as Ray Winstone, Jason Statham, Michael Shannon, and Mickey Rourke (50 Cent notwithstanding). None of them are used to th... read moreeir full potential, to be sure, but continually elevate the weaker material. It's no surprise then, that the middle act is by far the strongest, preceeded by a rushed exposition, and followed by a sloppy third act, albeit a pretty good ending.

3/5 Stars
  • May 13, 2012
    I'll be frank with you all..the only reason i even gave this film a second thught was due to Jason Stathum being in it. Now after watching the film it wasn't worth it even for his performance which wasnt much of one. i was a little confused by the beginning of the storyline here.... read more. Guy is an electrician for one of the players of a secret game. After his employer dies of an heroin over dose, the electrician finds an envelope with a number within and a ticket to the next 'game' He decides he could use the couple of mill payout money if he wins the thing and starts out on the journey. Upon arriving at the game he is shocked to find out it is an elimination russian roulette type game. He plays anyways and is joined by other players Patrick Jefferson (Mickey Rourke) Ronald Lynn Bagges (Ray Winstone) (Winstone gives a fine although short performance in this) Millionaires continuously bet on the who will survive the next round and so forth. I wont tell you anymore as you will have to see for yourself... However i will say the ending sucked So proceed with caution. Only gave the second star due to the fact that the storyline was killer if it was both written and directed properly.

Critic Reviews

John DeFore
October 28, 2011
John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter

Géla Babluani's English-language remake of his French debut loses the source's gritty, mysterious gloom. Full Review

V.A. Musetto
October 28, 2011
V.A. Musetto, New York Post

"13'' is Gela Babluani's American remake of his successful 2005 Georgian-language film "13 Tzameti.'' He should have left well enough alone. Full Review

Stephen Holden
October 27, 2011
Stephen Holden, New York Times

A tense, paranoid nightmare with a chilly metaphysical overview has been trampled into a blustering, bad cartoon. Full Review

Nathan Rabin
October 27, 2011
Nathan Rabin, AV Club

Making a film about the cutthroat world of Russian Roulette is a little like making a gambling thriller about the card game War. Full Review

Dennis Harvey
October 26, 2011
Dennis Harvey, Variety

A starry cast and glossier production values simply work against the black-and-white original's strengths in this stillborn thriller. Full Review

Keith Uhlich
October 26, 2011
Keith Uhlich, Time Out New York

Aside from some character-defining flashbacks, a godawful score and sweat-enhancing color photography, it's the same movie as before -- a divertingly tense yet superficial time-waster. Full Review

Michael Atkinson
October 25, 2011
Michael Atkinson, Village Voice

[A] half-hearted redundancy, which often looks and sounds like something Charles Bronson paid bills with in 1979. Full Review

David Nusair
January 27, 2012
David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews

The anticlimactic final half hour, which is capped off with an oddly (and needless) downbeat finish, cements the film's place as a curiously half-baked piece of work... Full Review

Marshall Fine
November 2, 2011
Marshall Fine, Hollywood & Fine

A one-trick movie, with prefab suspense but also prefab plotting to undercut said suspense. Full Review

Kam Williams
October 29, 2011
Kam Williams, AALBC.com

Despite a big, Hollywood budget allowing for a more grisly and more graphic, high attrition-rate adventure, this disappointing remake somehow still adds up to less. Rent the original. Full Review

View more 13 reviews

Critic ratings and reviews powered by RottenTomatoes.com

Fresh (60% or more critics rated the movie positively)

Rotten (59% or fewer critics rated the movie positively)

Official Trailer

More Like This

Click a thumb to vote on that suggestion, or add your own suggestions.

• 13 Tzameti
    13 Tzameti (100%)

Facts

• Henry: When the bulb lights up, you shoot!
    • Patrick Jefferson: Happy trails partner.

13 : Watch Free on TV

13 Trivia

• What's the name of the fashion magazine for which Jennifer Garner's character is suddenly a top-ranking editor in "13 Going on 30"?  Answer »
  • Who directed "Apollo 13"?  Answer »
  • what does matty give to jenna for her 13th birthday in '13 going on 30'?  Answer »
  • Who is the actor that played Jennifer Garner's love interest in 13 Going on 30?  Answer »

Movie Quizzes

No quizzes for 13. Want to create one?

Recent News

No recent headlines. Got one?

Recent Lists

Most Popular Skin

No skins yet. Interested in creating one?