Top 100 Horror Movies

1. capkronos
  2. Justin

Here's my always-changing list of 100 favorite horror films. Some may not be "traditional" horror to purists, but I think most of them at least have their horror elements and/or are not tied down to just one genre. I'm going to try expanding this to a Top 200 list sometime soon.

Page Views
Comments
  capkronos's Rating My Rating
Night of the Living Dead 1968,  R)
The Innocents 1961,  Unrated)
Freaks 1932,  Unrated)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974,  R)
Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (The Witches) (Haxan) 1929,  Unrated)
Dawn of the Dead 1978,  R)
Dawn of the Dead
Like many other classic films, this one doesn't bother confining itself to just one genre. Romero exploits the metaphoric possibilities of a world taken over by a zombie plague for all they're worth and has something to say about the American buying public and the ills of the often misguided, wholly cosumerist society that we inhabit. If this kind of material doesn't interest you, then the good news is that this movie also works wonderfully as an apocalyptic adventure, with plenty of action, gore and horror, plus comedy elements ranging from silly slapstick gags to sly satire. Sure some of the supporting acting could have been better. It's a low budget so what can you expect? Still, the four leads do a good enough job instilling their characters with a certain nobility, which makes them instantly likable. Elements of the film are dated, but the central theme is not. In many ways it's more relevant today than it was when released when you look at how "mall culture" dominates and the measure of a man is based on how much junk you can accumulate.
La frusta e il corpo (The Whip and The Body) 1963,  Unrated)
The Bride of Frankenstein 1935,  Unrated)
Rosemary's Baby 1968,  R)
Day of Wrath (Vredens Dag)(Day of Anger) 1943,  Unrated)
The Masque of the Red Death 1989,  R)
Carnival of Souls 1962,  R)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 1986,  NC-17)
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) 1920,  Unrated)
Brain Damage 1988,  R)
De Vierde Man (The Fourth Man) (The 4th Man) 1983,  Unrated)
The Honeymoon Killers 1969,  R)
Island of Lost Souls (The Island of Dr. Moreau) 1932,  Unrated)
Phenomena (Creepers) 1984,  R)
King Kong 1933,  Unrated)
Psycho 1960,  R)
Beauty and The Beast (La Belle et la bête) 1946,  Unrated)
Candyman 1992,  R)
Repulsion 1965,  Unrated)
La Chute de la Maison Usher (The Fall of the House of the Usher) 2011,  Unrated)
Dance of the Damned 1988,  R)
Seconds 1966,  R)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956,  PG)
Die Schlangengrube und das Pendel (Blood of the Virgins)(The Blood Demon)(Torture Chamber) 1967,  Unrated)
The Unknown 1927,  Unrated)
The Evil Dead 1981,  R)
The Company of Wolves 1984,  R)
The Addiction 1995,  Unrated)
Carrie 1976,  R)
The Incredible Shrinking Man 1957,  Unrated)
Incubus 1965,  Unrated)
Session 9 2001,  R)
The Wicker Man 1974,  R)
The Wicker Man
Edward Woodward (later star of "The Equalizer" TV series) is a devoutly religious police inspector who travels to the small island of Summerisle to investigate the disappearance of a young girl. There's a cover up to the girls whereabouts by the entire community and he finds himself equally appalled by their free-living lifestyle...simple pleasures which include drinkin', singin', swingin' sex...and pagan human sacrifice. The title refers to a giant wooden idol necessary for climactic May Day ceremony.

THE WICKER MAN opens fairly slowly (and some complain it has too many musical numbers), but after the first pub scene it becomes suspenseful, creepy (without a stitch of violence) and brilliantly atmospheric, creating a seemingly authentic (and unusual) society not dependent on standard moral or religious codes. It's safe to say that the strong and unflinching religious subject matter this film carries may anger some viewers but it's also ironic that this same close-minded worldview is perfectly reflected in the bullheaded lead character, and also helps to seal his fate. Not that the pagans in this film aren't equally unwavering in their beliefs, but the "power of in numbers" philosophy rings true here. Imagine a small place in this world NOT adversely affected by standard organized religion and you get the gist of Summerisle.

If you want gore, you won't find any here. If you can't go into this film with an open mind, you simply won't appreciate what it has to offer. And if you are looking for a standard horror film you may be disappointed (or you may be like me and be pleasantly surprised). The ending is simultaneously chilling and oddly amusing. Both Woodward and Christopher Lee (with great hair) as Lord Summerisle are excellent in their roles.
The Seventh Victim 1943,  Unrated)
Frankenstein 1931,  Unrated)
Dark City 1998,  R)
M 1931,  Unrated)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? 1960,  Unrated)
The Spiral Staircase 1946,  Unrated)
Halloween 1978,  R)
The Invisible Man 1933,  Unrated)
Cannibal Holocaust 1979,  NC-17)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover 1989,  NC-17)
Two Thousand Maniacs 1964,  Unrated)
The Omen 1976,  R)
E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldilà (The Beyond) 1981,  R)
Diabolique (Les Diaboliques) 1954,  Unrated)
Rabid Dogs (Cani arrabbiati) (Kidnapped) ( A Man and a Boy) 1974,  Unrated)
Rabid Dogs (Cani arrabbiati) (Kidnapped) ( A Man and a Boy)
Three criminals pull off a robbery, kill several people during a police shoot out in a parking garage and then take a female hostage. Wanting to ditch their car, they kidnap a second hostage, a surprisingly calm man with a young, sickly son, and force him to drive take them to safety. This crime drama marked a change of pace (and a change of tone) for Mario Bava, best known for his super stylish gothic horror films, which concentrated as much on atmosphere, color composition and camera angles and they did on the story. This is a more stark, contemporary film that takes place in broad daylight and mostly within the cramped comfines of a car. The good news is that it's an excellent, sadistic thriller and loaded with suspense and tension. The performances are believable and the script pulls you in immediately, after which there's almost no let-up. Recommended.
Aliens 1986,  R)
The Queen of Spades 1949,  Unrated)
The Night of the Hunter 1955,  PG)
Cat People 1942,  R)
The Silence of the Lambs 1991,  R)
Ms. 45 1981,  R)
Onibaba 1964,  Unrated)
Peeping Tom 1960,  Unrated)
Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) 1922,  Unrated)
The Other 1972,  PG)
Alias Nick Beal (The Contact Man) 1949,  PG)
Psycho II 1983,  R)
The Wolf Man 1941,  Unrated)
The Blair Witch Project 1999,  R)
Night Stalker 2005,  R)
Shutter (They Are Around Us) 2005,  R)
Suspiria 1977,  R)
House of Usher (The Fall of the House of Usher) 1960,  Unrated)
Them! 1954,  PG)
Dead Alive (Braindead) 1992,  R)
Histoires extraordinaires (Spirits of the Dead) 1968,  R)
Histoires extraordinaires (Spirits of the Dead)
Three top European directors take on the works of Edgar Allan Poe in what is one of my favorite anthology horrors, right up there with DEAD OF NIGHT (1945) and BLACK SABBATH (1963).

Roger Vadim's "Metzengerstein" is incredibly beautiful. It was shot around great-looking, crumbling oceanfront castles and is remarkably photographed, costumed and scored, it's just a shame the core plotting is so weak. The evil Baroness Frederique (Jane Fonda, the directors wife at the time) is an insatiable tyrant who presides over orgies and sadistic, dehumanizing games. When she destroys a pure soul, her distant cousin Wilhelm (Peter Fonda), horses and fire play a key role in her demise.

"William Wilson," by Louis Malle, is an entertaining reworking of the old doppelganger theme starring Alain Delon as a pure lout AND his better half, a exact copy who drives him crazy by putting a halt to his evil impulses. Odd story structure here and Brigitte Bardot (in a black wig) is good support during a fateful card game. And then comes the really good stuff.

"Toby Dammit" (released separately as "Never Bet the Devil Your Head"), a brilliant and sometimes very chilling piece of enigmatic filmmaking from Federico Fellini. Terence Stamp is a marvel of facial expressions as boozy, obnoxious British movie star Toby Dammit, who falls apart at the seems upon arriving in Italy to start production on a Western reworking of the story of Christ. Instead he becomes imprisoned in his own personal hell. In every possible technical department, this segment is a triumph and the creepy finale (borrowing a key image from Mario Bava's KILL, BABY, KILL!) has lost absolutely none of its impact.

The score by Nino Rota and cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno deserve special recognition, as well. The version I saw (titled TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION) is subtitled, but a dubbed version also exists featuring narration by Vincent Price.
Rabid 1977,  R)
Matango:Attack of the Mushroom People 1963,  Unrated)
Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter 1974,  R)
Hard to Die 1990,  R)
Eyes Without a Face 2004,  Unrated)
Humanoids from the Deep (Monster) 1980,  R)
La Maschera del demonio (Black Sunday) (House of Fright) (Mask of the Demon) 1960,  R)
Tenebre (Unsane) 1982,  R)
A Warning to the Curious 2013,  Unrated)
Blood and Donuts 1995,  R)
Images 1972,  R)
Miss Muerte (Miss Death and Dr. Z in the Grip of the Maniac) (The Diabolical Dr. Z) 1964,  Unrated)
In a Glass Cage (Tras el cristal) 1985,  Unrated)
Three Cases of Murder 1955,  PG)
The Return of the Living Dead 1985,  R)
Shanks 1974,  PG)
Daddy's Gone A-Hunting 1969,  PG)
Killer Condom: The Rubber That Rubs You Out 1997,  R)
Blood Bath (Track of the Vampire) 1966,  Unrated)
Ringu (Ring) 1998,  Unrated)
Night Warning 1982,  R)
Angustia (Anguish) 1988,  R)
The Ultimate Degenerate 1969,  PG)
Innocent Blood 1992,  R)
Night of the Demons 1988,  R)
Pin 1988,  R)

Comments (6)

Post a comment

Recent Comments

1. monkeybobbob
    monkeybobbob posted 5 years ago

Brilliant list!Some films i've seen and love and plenty that i haven't seen and want to check out.

2. exnavykds
    exnavykds posted 5 years ago

Great list!! Nice to see so many classics represented.

3. flixsterman
    flixsterman posted 4 years ago

Spooky!! I made note of some I haven't seen yet and will put them on my must-see list (i.e. The Innocents. The Whip & the Body, Vredens Day, etc.)

4. JLefere0909
    JLefere0909 posted 4 years ago

i believe you need to give "the shining" a little respect

5. clemenferly
    clemenferly posted 3 years ago

6. cenchaiseson
    cenchaiseson posted 3 years ago