1. SirPant
  2. Anthony

My Top 10 favorite Films of 1991

Page Views
Comments
  SirPant's Rating My Rating
Delicatessen 1991,  R)
Delicatessen
An amazing film! Possibly one of the best films of the last 30 years, and easily in the top 5 best films of the 90's. Jean-Pierre Jeunet & Marc Caro are a match made in heaven. Dominique Pinon is also one of the most overlooked actors working today. Brilliant.
Barton Fink 1991,  R)
Barton Fink
This is the Coen brothers finest film in my opinion, its certainly my favourite. Its been a huge influence on modern cinema, and Ive seen it been ripped off countless times! As close to perfect film making as you can get! Brilliant.
The Pope Must Die (The Pope Must Diet) 1991,  R)
The Pope Must Die (The Pope Must Diet)
I love this film. It's stupid yes but its so funny!
Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (The Lovers on the Bridge) 1999,  R)
Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (The Lovers on the Bridge)
A stunning and beautiful love letter to romance and Paris. Fans of Leos Carax's most recent work Holy Motors will recognise much from this, his most critically acclaimed film of his career. The Bridge is perfect as a point of interest, closed off and remote yet right in the middle of a bustling City, our two leads are both homeless and broken people but their love is no less than any one else's. It's full of beautiful and effective symbolism and the fireworks scene on the bridge is probably one of the most beautifully filmed in the history of cinema. This is a special film and one that deserves to be seen.
Europa (Zentropa) 2001,  R)
Europa (Zentropa)
Probably Triers most accessible film and probably his most epic. Visually moving, the mixing B/W and colour noir style shots at key moments but with perfect subtlety is masterful. The cast is also superb, it's absolutely faultless and a perfect end to the E trilogy. It's a real shame the American trilogy didn't quite happen!
The Silence of the Lambs 1991,  R)
The Silence of the Lambs
A great thriller from the early 90's. It's now regarded as a classic but on repeat viewing, it does feel a little dated. Still, a great film!
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1991,  R)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
This is probably the best action film ever made.
The Fisher King 1991,  R)
The Fisher King
This is such a touching film, great performances, esp from Ruehl, Bridges and Williams. The dancing scene filmed in the train station is a favourite of mine. Brilliant.
Naked Lunch 1991,  R)
Naked Lunch
They said the book could never be filmed but Cronenberg proved otherwise. This is a brilliant surreal nightmare, not quite like the book but just as good!
Cerro Torre: Schrei aus Stein (Scream of Stone) 1991,  Unrated)
Cerro Torre: Schrei aus Stein (Scream of Stone)
Although Scream of Stone doesn't necessarily feel like a Herzog film, the exhilaration I felt in the last scene was typical of one of his films.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments