1. SirPant
  2. Anthony

My Top 10 favorite Films of 1982

Page Views
Comments
  SirPant's Rating My Rating
Blade Runner 1982,  R)
Blade Runner
Everything about this film is perfect. The acting, the direction, the lighting, the soundtrack.... I don't care which version either, they're all brilliant!
Fitzcarraldo 1982,  PG)
Fitzcarraldo
An amazing achievement and an amazing story, and that's just what happened behind the camera. This is not my favourite Herzog film, in fact, I'm more interested in the making of the film than the film itself, but that said, it?s still one of the greatest films ever made!
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan 1982,  PG)
Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
You are, and always will be, the best Star Trek film ever. Live long and prosper Star Trek 2!
The Thing 1982,  R)
The Thing
One of the best horror films ever made, tons better than the original! Full of unlikely characters and old school special effects that have yet to be bettered. The head/spider scene and the tied to a bench scene are two of the best in the genres. 'You gotta be fucking kidding' - Love it!
Gandhi 1982,  PG)
Gandhi
Richard Attenborough's Gandhi begins with the statement; 'No man's life can be encompassed in one telling. There is no way to give each year its allotted weight, to include each event, each person who helped to shape a lifetime. What can be done is to be faithful in spirit to the record and to try to find one's way to the heart of the man'.

With that in mind, this is still one of the most honest and faithful biopics of one amazing individual. The Attenborough's are a passionate bunch, I think many aspects of what was going on in India under British rule at the time was not mentioned due to the fact that this film is more about the man, rather than the world at that time. That said, it doesn't shy away from the brutality and its, or rather, Gandhi's message is still loud and clear. The world would be doing itself a favour in revisiting the story of Gandhi, especially in these climates. A wonderful film about a wonderful man.
The Dark Crystal 1982,  PG)
The Dark Crystal
Jim Henson was a master storyteller who?s magical worlds and loveable characters enriched a generations imagination and made many a child happy. I love everything he?s done and still watch this, Labyrinth and the Muppet movies from time to time, it?s a tragedy he died so young but luckily the Henson group are still around and rumours of new productions keep me, and millions of others happy. Just get on with it!!
The World According to Garp 1982,  R)
The World According to Garp
Williams, Close and Lithgo's performances are brilliant in this perfect Sunday afternoon film! Tragedy and hilarity go hand in hand in this adaption of John Irving's excellent novel.
The Year of Living Dangerously 1983,  PG)
The Year of Living Dangerously
The Year of Living Dangerously is easily Peter Weir's best film. It certainly got Hollywood's interest and propelled him into the A-list and rightly so, although I've liked very few of his films since. Linda Hunt steals the show, it's funny, I only realised she was a woman a few year later! Brilliant filmmaking.
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 1982,  PG)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
A classic and a childhood favourite. I have a very happy memory of going to Putney Odeon with my sister and my grandmother to go and see it. Happy days.
Burden of Dreams 1982,  R)
Burden of Dreams
The ultimate making of Documentary, far better than the other 'ultimate' doc Heart of Darkness. It's a shame Les Blank didn't film Wrath of God but then he may not have survived. A must for film makers, wannabe film makers, producers and Werner worshippers. "I'm duty bound to articulate our dreams as a film maker" - Werner Herzog

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments