1. SirPant
  2. Anthony

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 1979

Page Views
Comments
  SirPant's Rating My Rating
The Muppet Movie 1979,  G)
The Muppet Movie
Watch a Muppet film and instantly feel on top of the world! This is a bit of magic from my childhood that I never tire of watching. I love the Muppets!
Being There 1979,  PG)
Being There
This is a subtle satire that needs repeat viewing, not because its complicated to follow but because there are lots of little, sometimes hidden, splashes of symbolism and hidden meaning. It doesn't however, need to be watched more than once to be thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated for what it is, one of the most beautiful films ever made. The cast is fantastic but its Sellers who really steals the show in his greatest, and unfortunately, his last performance. Absolutely brilliant.
Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum) 1979,  R)
Die Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum)
Absurd but beautiful. Wonderfully directed by Schlondorff and an amazing turn from a young David Bennent. It?s a tough one to explain so I recommend you watch it!
Alien 1979,  R)
Alien
The best Alien film ever made (I don't just mean this perticular franchise either)
Monty Python's Life of Brian 1979,  R)
Monty Python's Life of Brian
I love this film so much, it's absolutely hilarious. Best not watch it with a bible basher though, as I mistakenly have done in the past. It can get very awkward!
Apocalypse Now 1979,  R)
Apocalypse Now
One of the greatest films ever made. Historically one of the trickiest films to shoot, it?s amazing it ever got made! Thank fuck it did though, you know a film is good when after 3 hours you still want more! Credit due to Warner Herzog though, it was his idea and his film was harder to make and is ultimately better, but this is still one of the best films ever made!
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 1979,  G)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Robert Wise was an interesting choice of director for the re-launch, in film, of the popular 60?s sci-fi TV series that had already reached cult status. His CV matched Star Treks intense sci-fi themes and so the first and most original of the films was born. Wise?s classic is one long psychedelic dream sequence with brilliant lines like ?V-ger is a child?. It?s got a 2001: A space odyssey feel about it, that I?m sure was intentional and yet, exceeds it in many ways and really stands alone in its bizarre but beautiful structure. This really was boldly going where Star Trek had never been before and it was brilliant! A classic that I never tire of but I guess it helps if your already a trekkie! :o)
The Warriors 1979,  R)
The Warriors
Can you dig it?
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Nosferatu the Vampyre) 1979,  PG)
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Nosferatu the Vampyre)
Another great collaboration between Kinski & Herzog and a loving remake/retelling of a story loved by both men. Hard to watch if you don't like rats though!
...And Justice For All 1979,  R)
...And Justice For All
This is a great film, often copyed from its still relatively unknown and very underrated. The acting is of the finest quality. Brilliant.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments