1. SirPant
  2. Anthony

My Top 10 favorite Films of 1970

Page Views
Comments
  SirPant's Rating My Rating
M*A*S*H 1970,  PG)
M*A*S*H
The on screen relationship between Donald Sutherland and Elliott Gould is classic. This is a very funny film, one of Altman's best!
El Topo 1971,  Unrated)
El Topo
Jodorowsky's often misunderstood 'Western' is a surreal masterpiece riddled with religious symbolism and bizarre mythology. There is so much in here, so many influences, it?s easy to make comparisons but the best way I can put it is that it?s like a Sergio Leone directed Monty Python sketch, written by a south American version of Henry Miller who has based the story on an old testament parable, exploitation style! There is of course, no need for that orgy ever to happen, as we have been blessed with the eyes, mind and most importantly, the cojones of Jodorowsky, the master of the midnight movies! If you are great, El Topo is a great picture. If you are limited, El Topo is limited! I'm great ;o)
Il conformista (The Conformist) 1970,  R)
Il conformista (The Conformist)
Visually, Il conformista has to be one of the most beautiful films ever made, each frame is like a renascence painting and it's easy to see its influence on modern cinema. Luckily the rest is as good. Stuffed to the rafters with symbolism, this film really does need repeat viewing but never becomes tiresome in doing so. Sex, sexuality, politics, violence, it's all here in raw glory, an attack on fascism as powerful as Salo, just a little more easy to watch. Highly recommended!
L' Enfant Sauvage (The Wild Child) 1970,  G)
L' Enfant Sauvage (The Wild Child)
Many have criticised Francois Truffaut for making Wild Child, claiming that the film is far too clinical but is also of a subject matter that he wasn't academically capable of telling correctly. Many people criticised David Lynch in exactly the same way when he made The Elephant Man, which is now regarded as a classic and the only difference I can see between the two is that it seems more people have seen The Elephant Man - this true story being the better known of the two. First off, the young Jean-Pierre Cargol was fantastic as the Ferrel Victor, I'm amazed he didn't continue a career in acting. Also, the passion Truffaut felt for the story is evident in every scene, it's evident in the fact he didn't trust anyone but himself to star in it. It may have been clinical at time but the source material was from Dr. Jean Itard's notes and diary and actually transferring that to the screen was a very clever and original direction. I can't say I've seen it executed so successfully since other than in the aforementioned The Elephant Man. Personally, I loved it.
L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (The Bird With the Crystal Plumage) 1969,  PG)
L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo (The Bird With the Crystal Plumage)
Classic 70's giallo from Argento, in what I feel is possibly his best film. Brilliant
The American Soldier (Der amerikanische Soldat) 1970,  Unrated)
The American Soldier (Der amerikanische Soldat)
The American Soldier is probably the most visually impressive of Fassbinder's early films. The opening credits of Gods of the Plague are the coolest opening credits I've ever seen and here, he's taken the same technique and made a whole film in the same style. The end 'Showdown' scene is just as good as Clint Eastwood's A fist full of Dollars 'Show-down' or Battleship Potemkin's famous pram on the stairs scene. Absolutely mesmerising. Much like his other early films, this is terribly underrated and sparsely seen, do yourself a favour and check out Fassbinder's work!
Five Easy Pieces 1970,  R)
Five Easy Pieces
A wonderfully bleak and often depressing portrait of an unlikable man who is constantly tormented by his own failings. Fantastic direction, brilliant performances and some of the best scenes in cinema make this film a classic. Hurrah for unhappy endings, not enough contemporary films have them!
Le Boucher 1971,  R)
Le Boucher
Jean Yanne is a great villain. Although influenced by Hitchcock and constantly compared to him, Chabrol does something here that Hitch never did as successfully; Sympathy for the Devil. The ending is uncompromising and uncomfortable and all the better for it. A great film and influential in its own right.
Tora! Tora! Tora! 1970,  G)
Tora! Tora! Tora!
I'm not going to speculate as to how different or how much better this film would have been had Akira Kurosawa directed the Japanese segment, because to be fair, It's a great film anyway! Richard Fleischer is a great director and I'm also a big fan of Kinji Fukasaku, they and Toshio Masuda made a fantastic war film, factual with very few errors, well paced, with a great cast and with great performances. Watching the story unfold from the points of view from both sides has rarely been matched in balance and fairness. This is a classic war film that I believe is just as good as *Attach favourite Classic War film here*
Claire's Knee (Le genou de Claire) 1970,  PG)
Claire's Knee (Le genou de Claire)
A beautiful realisation of love and desire from several peoples view points, this is a very touching (excuse the pun) film, although it may seem like the tale of a dirty old man trying to grope a young girls leg it?s really not.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments