Top 10: Best of the Decade 1920-1929

1. CloudStrife84
  2. Mike

The 10 best movies made between 1920 and 1929.

Page Views
Comments
  CloudStrife84's Rating My Rating
Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) 1922,  Unrated)
Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire)
Forebearer of today's vampire fiction in cinema, Nosferatu by F.W. Murnau is a true landmark of a classic, that saw a new type of story brought to the screen, based upon the famous novel Dracula by Irish author Bram Stoker. A horror film deemed so "excessive", that it was actually banned here in Sweden and not made available to the public until half a century later, in 1972. Another 40 years have passed now since then, with vampires evolving (or de-evolving in Twilight's case) to a variety of different manifestations and sub-cultures. Some elegant and sophisticated like Louis de Pointe du Lac in Interview with a Vampire. Others more grotesque and monster-like, such as the adversaries of Blade in the action trilogy with Wesley Snipes. Then, of course, there's the sparkly ones, but let's not tarnish the good memory of this film with examples that have failed to honor its legacy. The wonderful thing about Nosferatu though, is not just the historical significance in defining the vampire genre, but that the story, despite its age, is genuinely thrilling. From the very first moments we meet real estate agent Hutter and his wife, I am captured by the expressive performances, and even more so by the celestial orchestral score, which ranges evocatively between beautiful and inspiring, to macabre and eerily dark. There's an authentic sense of impending terror, as Hutter's impish employer dispatches him to Transylvania to meet up with Count Orlok - a mysterious nobleman who expresses interest in purchasing a new residence in Hutter's home town of Wisbourg. What follows is a series of spine-chilling occurrences, as Count Orlok's true intentions crawl out of the shadows, involving Hutter's innocent wife and an insatiable thirst for blood. Tinted in red, yellow and blue to represent various hours of the day, the imagery takes some getting used to, but is really an element I quite liked as it gave the presentation even more character. I also loved how the grand music score went in perfect harmony with every scene. A mood yet intensified by Max Schreck's iconic performance as Nosferatu, which is destined to endure through the ages. Up until now, the wonders of the silent film period have been a stranger to yours truly, but after last year's love letter The Artist and this spellbinding, ancestral horror tale, it is with equally awestruck eyes and ears, that I now put on my adventure gear and venture deeper into the era's riches. Much like the mythological being in rendition, Nosferatu, down to the very last detail, is an immortal masterpiece, whose 90 year-old rule continues to glimmer as if impervious to the winds of time. Steadfast and unbroken, it is the belief of this critic that it will sit upon the throne at least century more. Or so I wholeheartedly hope. Five out of five blood vials to this gloriously unhallowed grandfather of all things morbid and grim. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Movie-Reviews/281824101875153?ref=hl
Metropolis 1927,  PG-13)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 1927,  Unrated)
Faust 1926,  Unrated)
The General 1927,  Unrated)
The Gold Rush 1925,  G)
The Kid 1921,  Unrated)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc) 1928,  Unrated)
The Circus 1928,  G)
Battleship Potemkin 1925,  Unrated)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments