My Top 250

1. worleyjamers
  2. Jameson

Page Views
Comments
  worleyjamers's Rating My Rating
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 2001,  PG-13)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
My personal favorite of the trilogy! A true masterpiece of a film. The pacing of this film is simply unreal. It's the best 2.5 hour experience available. It is developed brilliantly as we take in the beautiful scenery, story, and meet the characters. As a huge fan of the books, the characters were spot on from the book. Peter Jackson brilliantly selected every cast member perfectly. Gandalf, Frodo, Aragorn, Sam, Gimli, Merry, Pippin...they were all just as I had imagined them. The awesome ensemble cast from the large roles to the small roles were great. Ian McKellan and Elijah Wood in particular. The strong supporting cast, a cast of relatively unknown actors at the time, also gave good performances.
This is an masterpiece. Every second is simply golden. One of my all time favorite films. Definitely worthy of every praise it recieved! Absolutely love it!
The Godfather 1972,  R)
The Godfather
So great! Gotta love this film!
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 1975,  R)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Wow, just wow! A brilliant masterpiece of a film.

This is one of those films that can't believe I waited so long to see. From the first frame to the very last, I was completely amazed and taken in by the sheer brilliance of it all. Everything about it is stunning...the acting, direction, writing, emotion, conflict, humor, tragedy, realism, depth. It delivers on every level. It is one of my absolute favorite films of all time! There is so much that can be said about this film, but I will just mention one of the things that I loved, the acting.

The acting in this film is unbelievable. First off, Jack Nicholson delivers what must be the best performance of his career. Astounding in every way! The emotion, depth, and realism he brings to the character is outstanding. He is undoubtably deserving of his Oscar and proves himself worthy to be considered one of the best living actors. Louise Fletcher gives one the most memorable performances in cinema history as Nurse Ratched. At first I wasn't impressed with her performance; I found it emotionless, wooden, and boring. However, as the film progressed, I realized how fitting the performance was to her character. Even by being seemingly calm and emotionless, she still gets into your head. I frequently found myself hating her with a passion, but at the same time she remained entirely human. She, too, deserved her Oscar for her memorable and unique performance. The supporting cast was perfect. The film easily could have sunk in this area, but the 8 or so main patients all delivered a different aspect to the film. I particularly enjoyed Danny DeVito's role.

Jack Nicholson is perfect in this film, no doubt, but the performance that made this film for me...Brad Dourif. He gives a fantastic, unmissible, touching performance. He steals every scene he is in and really makes the film so much more. One of my favorite scenes in the movie, although tragic, is the second to last scene. It was at that time I completely fell in love with the film. He gives a brilliant performance and could have easilty taken home the Oscar that year for best Best Supporting Actor, but he only received the nomination.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is fantastic! I love this masterpiece and I recommend it to everyone.
Rebecca 1940,  Unrated)
Rebecca
Wow! An absolutely fantastic, brilliant piece of classic cinema! I've seen two of Hitchcock's most famous films, Rear Window, and Vertigo, but neither of those spoke to me as much as Rebecca. Rebecca has to be his best. The plot of the film is depressingly eerie, but irresistable all the while. Non-stop intensity from very early on until the last seconds. It was by far more intense than the other Hitchcock classics I have seen.
Joan Fontaine, as Mrs. de Winter, really is part of why the film is great. Her character deals with so much and she delivers such a realistic performance that the audience falls completely in love with her character. Never have I ever felt so strongly for the happenings of a character. Throughout the depressing story I found myself rooting her on in every scene. I love that about the film! Also Laurence Olivier is good too, as is the creepy Judith Anderson.
Also, it amazes me how so much menace and turmoil comes from a character who gets no screentime at all. Fantastic!
Brilliant masterpiece! I'm confident this is one of Hitchcock's absolute best films. It's the only one that received an Academy Award for Best Picture. Do yourself a favor and see this classic film!
Network 1976,  R)
Network
Classic!
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 1977,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
The best Sci-fi trilogy ever? Yes, clearly.
Brilliant!
The Shawshank Redemption 1994,  R)
The Shawshank Redemption
Outstanding! Brilliant! One of the best!
1994 will definitely reign as one of the strongest years for cinema during past few decades. Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, Forrest Gump....it was up against some brilliant films. But this film is very special. It's touching unlike so many other films. With themes of hope, friendship, and courage, this film will touch me more and more no matter how many times I watch it.
Strong performances, again, by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. Great, incredible, brilliant, masterpiece of a film!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 2003,  PG-13)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Brilliant! Peter Jackson has given us one of the of the best cinematic accomplishments of our time. It is the perfect ending to the world we fell in love with. The best thing about this movie is it's emotional power. It is one of the most touching, emotionally engaging films ever. The character's journeys have taken them to the edge of hope. We see the transformations within them; we see the desperation of their journey as it draws to a close. With the first two films and the addition of this one, we are a character. We experience everything the characters experience. When I watch this film, I am in Middle Earth. I think that is a sign of a masterpiece. It's incredible to know that Peter Jackson was able to create such epics films as this.
The Godfather, Part II 1974,  R)
The Godfather, Part II
Perfect! Brilliant! Even better than the first!
The Social Network 2010,  PG-13)
The Social Network
Wow!! This film is absolutely perfect! There are so few words to describe the brilliance of this film. The Social Network is a film that defines a generation; it is so real, smart, fresh....truly a product of it's time!

I was so hesitant as to whether or not the hype about this film was real. I mean, Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, and Brenda Song in an Academy Award caliber film....? I simply did not see it. As more Oscar buzz and Best Picture awards began to pile up, I almost did not want to see it. I hoped that I wouldn't like it. I gave this film a shot.... I LOVED IT!

I have to mention the script. Basically, there is no way to describe the perfection of Aaron Sorkin's writing. So modern, real, powerful, fresh, smart.....it truly is an outstanding script with each line and phrase packing such a touching feel to it. I also love the way it shows of the culture and society's impact on our language. It's a great depiction of the times we live in. It is no surprise that it has nearly swept this category at award shows. It soon will receive an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. Simply phenomenal screenplay!

The cinematography is stunning also. The scenery, setting, locations. Perfect. I also love that Fincher included the usual darkness that seems to dominate his films. Very appealing.

The score is perfect also. So modern, fresh, and catchy. Again, a great depiction of the times we live in. Love it!

The acting is simply outstanding. Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake, Armie Hammer, Rashida Jones, Rooney Mara.....the cast is simply stunning. Each character delivers a great performance that adds a great deal of emotion to the relatively flat storyline. Justin Timberlake surprised me alot. I think of him as the NSYNC singer that's trying to become an actor, but he has some talent and it shows alot in this film. He is very convincing as the jerk, Sean Parker. I secretly wished he would have died or something, so he did his job. Jesse Eisenberg delivers also. I was unsure about what to expect of his perfeormance because I have only seen him in Zombieland and Adventureland, but he gives a great performance. Armie Hammer, too, gives a strong performace as the the Winklevoss twins.

The performance that steals the show, the performance that makes the film the brilliant masterpiece that it is....Andrew Garfield. He delivers one of the best performances I have ever seen. Stunning! Every scene he is in, a new angle of his ability and a new aspect of the character is shown. As the growth of Facebook continues and the tension between the character's heightens, his performance is the thing that holds the emotion together. I have rarely felt so emotionally attached to a character until now. I orignally thought Christian Bale was a lock for Best Supporting Actor, but now, I'm not sure at all. Andrew Garfield gives a perfect, brilliant performance!

Finally, this film is so much more than "The Facebook Movie." It's about life, relationships, friendships, growing up....Facebook is simply a tool used by the filmakers to tell a story that is relevant to our time. It is used perfectly and the story and film are a work of art that will be remembered as one of the best of our time, if not the best.

See this film! My ranting can only tell of a tiny bit of it's greatness! The Social Network = The best film of 2010! I loved it! Even though it did not win Best Picture or Best Director, this film will still be the defining movie of 2010!
Cidade de Deus (City of God) 2003,  R)
Cidade de Deus (City of God)
One of the closest things to a perfect film I have ever seen. Brilliant doesn't quite describe how brilliant this film is. Excellent in every way! One of my favorites and one of the best. You absolutely must see this.
A Separation 2011,  PG-13)
A Separation
The best film of 2011, by far. Perfectly written. Perfectly acted. A masterpiece!
Pulp Fiction 1994,  R)
Pulp Fiction
I love this movie! I was hesitant to watch this film because, honestly, it looked pretty stupid. I was wrong....this is a great film.
The best thing about this movie is the script. It was perfect. Definitely one of the best screenplays ever. Each line was smart, short, affective, and hilarious, but not cheesy. I now know why this film is one of the most quoted films in history. Everything about it sticks with you. A brilliant cast also fuels the great script. My personal favorite cast member was Samuel L. Jackson as Jules. He was hilarious, definitely one of my favorite movie characters of all time.
Great film! Watch it.
The Lives of Others 2006,  R)
The Lives of Others
A superb, brilliant, magnificent, masterpiece of a film. One of the best I've ever seen. A brilliant story about an East German secret policeman who gets transformed by "The Lives of Others" he is supposed to be monitoring, and in the end he gives up his career in an attempt to spare them from their inevitable fate. I went into this film not knowing anything about it. What I found was a truly remarkable and touching story. Ulrich Muhe as Wiesler and Sebastian Koch as Dreyman stand out as part of the brilliant cast. Also, the music in this film was absolutely fantastic, some of the best music i've heard in any film. It really adds to the intense moments of the film.

I'm a huge Pan's Labyrinth fan and was very dissapointed that it didn't receive the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 2006, but after viewing this film, I was blown away. This film deserved every amount of praise it got. You absolutely MUST see this film!
Toy Story 3 2010,  G)
Toy Story 3
This film is absolutely perfect! Perfect not only in the way it was the perfect ending to the Toy Story trilogy, but perfect as a film in general. Every second was so deep and meaningful beyond belief, it's means much more than just the animation. Brilliant!

One of the best film of 2010! Truly, this film is one the top films of the year right alongside The Social Network and The King's Speech. This film is pure gold!
Pixar's finest accomplishment!
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
My personal favorite of the saga!
12 Angry Men (Twelve Angry Men) 1957,  PG)
12 Angry Men (Twelve Angry Men)
Stunning film! The fact that this film takes place entirely in a jury room but still delivers, is incredible. Sidney Lumet brilliantly directed this masterpiece; I doubt that any director could replicate the greatness in this film, today.
The Pianist 2002,  R)
The Pianist
How Chicago won Best Picture in 03 over this film I will never know? A masterpiece from Roman Polanski.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002,  PG-13)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The third best of the trilogy. But, you can't say the worst of the trilogy because there's absolutely nothing negative about this film at all. The others are just more perfect. This installment of the trilogy introduces new characters as the adventure splits into different paths. We meet characters like Eowyn, Faramir, Eomer, Theoden.....in which the supporting actors portray brilliantly. Again, as in the first film, the supporting cast really adds to the movie. The fighting scenes in this film are so epic. The Battle of Helm's Deep is so awesome.
This is a great, perfect film that adds depth, emotion, and character to the trilogy.
There Will Be Blood 2007,  R)
There Will Be Blood
WOW! First, let me state the obvious, Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely fantastic. One of the best performances by any actor I've ever seen. He was so real and convincing, every moment was just perfect. A good performance by Paul Dano as well, especially in the church scenes and the final scene. I was hesitant to watch this movie because I've heard so many bad things about it, that it's too long, boring, and that it's pointless. I just have one thing to say.....all y'all There Will Be Blood haters are crazy. This is an epic masterpiece. By far the best movie of 2007, and one of the best of our time. My favorite scene in the entire film is the last scene, it really puts it all into perspective. This is a brilliant movie, you absolutely must NOT miss it.
Saving Private Ryan 1998,  R)
Saving Private Ryan
A masterpiece! One of the best war movies ever made.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 1939,  Unrated)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
A classic film, among the all-time best. Perfect and timeless.

The ending is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes. Powerful, almost depressing...you forget it's a movie. Jimmy Stewart gives an astounding performance, also one of my favorite performances in a movie.

Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director Frank Capra, and Best Actor James Stewart.
Schindler's List 1993,  R)
American Beauty 1999,  R)
American Beauty
Absolutely fantastic film! I believe this film expresses a very culturally relevant message. It shows how broken our messed up lives can be on the inside with no expression of it on the outside, and it shows how in spite of all that, there's still beauty in life. The message is very blunt, but the director brilliantly incorporates humor too.
Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening were perfect as I expected, both giving great performances.
Great movie!
Memento 2000,  R)
Memento
Complex in its simplicity, Memento is one of the most tense, intriguing, and involving thrillers ever made. The film features an amazing screenplay bolstered by some fantastic editing choices. A masterpiece from genius Christopher Nolan. One of my all-time favorite films, and one of the best films of the 2000s.
All About Eve 1950,  PG)
All About Eve
Brilliant! A classic film; absolutely fantastic. All About Eve is a film about a young woman named Eve (Baxter) who aligns herself into the life of aging actress Margo Channing (Davis) and ultimately schemes herself into the theatre spotlight. I really liked it.

The screenplay is one of the best of all time, perfect in every way. It has sort of a unique and modern flair to it, making All About Eve memorable and timeless. The performances were wonderful, also, especially Betty Davis. All About Eve garnered a total of 5 Oscar nominations for the cast; after viewing the film it's clear why. Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, and Hugh Marlowe all give great performances. This was also my first Marilyn Monroe film; she has a minor role.

Nominated for an astounding 14 Academy Awards and winner of 6 including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenplay, All About Eve is a classic piece of cinema that is a must-see. I cannot recommend this film enough.
Pan's Labyrinth 2006,  R)
Pan's Labyrinth
This film is absolutely fantastic! The story is great and unfolds in an almost effortless fashion with great performances by all the cast. They all were very convincing in their roles. The visual effects were stunning. Each of the characters were unique and intricate in appearance. This film is very dark and depressing, but beautiful without a doubt! A great movie. The best fantasy i've ever seen.
Requiem for a Dream 2000,  R)
Requiem for a Dream
With a unique visual style and some amazing performances, Requiem manages to be one of the most effective films about drug addiction ever. Ellen Burstyn gives a stunning performance, and Jennifer Connelly is also really good. Right from the start you get the sense that the film will end horribly for these characters, but predictability aside, the film delivers a powerhouse conclusion that left me completely wrecked upon watching it. Disturbing, depressing, hopeless, and unforgettable, Requiem for a Dream is a really good little film from Darren Aronofsky.
Amadeus 1984,  R)
Amadeus
Perfect! This film is one of the best films that I have ever seen. Magnificent in ever way a film can....the acting, cinematography, story, emotion, music, pace, direction. This film is a masterpiece; I cannot believe I waited so long to watch it.

F. Murray Abraham delivers one of the best male performances that I have seen. He steals every scene as Salieri. Even while he sits in his chair as an old man, he still gives a huge level of emotion. I truly was touched by his performance. Tom Hulce as Mozart also gives a very strong performance. Both actors received Oscar nominations for Best Actor, but only Mr. Abraham took home the coveted award, as he gives one of the best male performances ever.

The cinematography, art direction, costumes, makeup, etc. were unbeleivable. Each scene is real to the proper time period.

So much needs to be said about this film, but there are no words to describe this masterpiece. It's one of those films that you have to experience for yourself. It's perfect and one of the best of all time. I absolutely recommend it!
The King's Speech 2010,  PG-13)
The King's Speech
Absolutely fantastic film! The story is so touching, and the actors truly portray the characters to perfection. Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, they all deliver such strong and realistic performances; the audience simply falls in love with each character, making the story that much more touching. Colin Firth really gives a brilliant performance. He really does a good job of showing the conflict and emotions of the character. I really loved the scene where he cries......great acting. A great performance; I can't wait to see him holding the Oscar for Best Actor, he deserves it.

The King's Speech is one of the most touching, emotional, and heart felt movies I have seen. Basically, you just need to see it for yourself. It truly is a brilliant film that has everything, even some humor. I thought this movie would be drowned out by the brilliant "The Social Network," but it closed out the year taking home the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Actor! A wonderful film!
Million Dollar Baby 2004,  PG-13)
Million Dollar Baby
A brilliant masterpiece! For me, this is one of the best films of the decade. This is the film that Clint Eastwood will be remembered for. Such a great, touching story. Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman are simply stunning!
West Side Story 1961,  PG)
West Side Story
One of the best of its kind in its time, but it hasn't aged well. Winner of 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director.
Secrets & Lies 1996,  R)
Secrets & Lies
Stunning film! A powerhouse drama fueled by a BRILLIANT cast and a great script. One of the best indie films I have ever seen. A near perfect film about people who are all connected and must face their "secrets and lies." An extremely low-budget indie film, but this grabs you and never lets go. Brenda Blethyn should have won the Oscar for Best Actress, NOT Frances McDormand! She gives a devastating, emotional, and stunning performance. A must see!
GoodFellas 1990,  R)
GoodFellas
Nominated for 6 Academy Awards, GoodFellas is one heck of a movie. I'm a huge Dances With Wolves fan, but I can't believe this film did not win Best Picture. It is wow! Brilliant performances, great action, blood, interesting story.....this film cannot be missed.

The cast is great here. Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, and Paul Sorvino all give great performances. Joe Pesci is especially great. I loved the "Why am I funny" scene....hilarious. Ray Liotta also gives a very strong performance. He's extremely convincing as the main character.

Wonderful direction by Martin Scorsese. This is definitely one of his best films! Each scene is flawlessly executed....the pacing is wonderful, also!

Absolutely fantastic, brilliant film!
Gone With the Wind 1939,  G)
Ordinary People 1980,  R)
Ordinary People
Excellent! I haven't seen Raging Bull yet, but I think this film may have deserved Best Picture. I had never heard anything about this film other than that fact it "stole" Best Picture from Raging Bull, but I'm so glad I finally watched it. It's a timeless classic, that is among my favorite films of all time!

The title "Ordinary People" alludes to one the strongest elements of the film, the reality in it. The film basically follows a family after the tragic death of a son, and the attemped suicide of another son. The emotions, attitudes, and overall conflicts were so real. I truly felt like the film could have been about any ordinary person.

This film is perfectly acted! Timothy Hutton gives an absolutely phenomenal performance for which he received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. His performance is one of the reasons this film is among my favorites. Mary Tyler Moore gives a completely missunderstood performance as the mother. It's probably a career best for her and she definitely deserved the Oscar nomination. Also, excellent performances by supporting actors Donald Sutherland and Judd Hirsch. All around, perfect main cast with a strong supporting cast as well.

Bravo, Robert Redford!

Winner of 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor. Memorable performances, brilliant direction, touching, emotional...this is a powerhouse drama film that everyone needs to see. I completely recommend this masterpiece!
Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso) 1988,  R)
Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso)
Simple, but a masterpiece!
Fight Club 1999,  R)
Fight Club
This is such a smart film. I love every second of it! Whether it be the great narration, awkward Edward Norton, script, setting, creepy negative Helena Bonham Carter, the fighting, cool guy Brad Pitt, or any other brilliant thing, this film captivates the audience right from the start. While doing so, it delivers a serious message about materialism. It is brilliantly portrayed in this seemingly action-packed only film. It is so much more, though; it has a level of depthness that cannot be found in the first viewings. I've seen this film twice, and I know that I have yet to even touch the surface of the true purpose of the film. That's why it's so great, it makes you think in such a way that makes the message different to every person. I'm sure that you've heard about the twist...well it's the best ending ever. You should check it out and experience it for yourself!
"The first rule of Fight Club is.....you do not talk about Fight Club."
Brilliant!
The Dark Knight 2008,  PG-13)
The Dark Knight
In my opinion, the best film of 2008! No doubt.
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind 2004,  R)
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
So perfect! Brilliant in every way...the script, concept, editing, direction, cast, characters, acting (especially Winslet and Dunst)... I honestly could not have asked for anything more from this film. Nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Actress, this film is certainly one of the absolute best films of 2004! Incredible film! One of my all time favorites.
The Artist 2011,  PG-13)
The Artist
Wonderful! The reason this film was my favorite of 2011 is because not only is it a brilliant tribute to classic slient cinema, but it's also fully aware that it's a modern film. For example, there's a dream sequence that creatively incorparates sound in a manner that fits into the conflict of the story. Also, the ending was so brilliant; many people don't like that the film did what it did at the end, but I thought it was absolutely necessary. Dujardin and Bejo are great, the music is great, the dancing is great, the story is great. All-in-all, just a wonderful film that completely deserved Best Picture in my opinion.
Amélie 2001,  R)
Amélie
A great little film about life and the little things that make it special. This movie is so clever, creative, and quirky. Audrey Tautou is so perfect. A great film!
Mystic River 2003,  R)
Mystic River
This is definitely a film that will have you yelling at the TV by the end. It's dark and depressing, but a great thriller nonetheless. It's backed up by a great storyline and an excellent cast. Sean Penn gave a great performance. I'm usually not a big fan of his, but he definitely deserved the Oscar. If you're a fan of Clint Eastwood films, you cannot miss this one! It's for sure in his best films alongside Million Dollar Baby. One of my favorite films!
The Tree of Life 2011,  PG-13)
The Tree of Life
What is The Tree of Life? It's a celebration of life. It's a prayer to the one who creates all things. It's a hymn of reality about both the good and evil in the world. It's a reminder of who we are and where we come from. A true poetic masterpiece. One of the best films of 2011.

Shoutout to the beautiful city of Waco, TX. City of my birth and hometown of director Terrence Malick.
Crash 2004,  R)
Crash
A great movie! The thing that really stands out about this film is the message and how it's portrayed in a way that helps the audience relate to it in a deep and personal way. Each character is so raw, real, and flawed that the audience is able to see themselves as the characters, rather than the actors; this is one of the reasons why this film is so powerful and affective. I also love the way this film doesn't sugar coat the issues, nor does it beat around the bush. It gets right to the core of rascism in our culture and who we really are as people. The cast is just brilliant. Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, and Don Cheadle really let go of themselves here. Great performances all the way around.

This is one of the most touching and powerful films I have ever seen. Excellent! I definitely recommend it.
The Usual Suspects 1995,  R)
The Usual Suspects
Great performances, especially from Spacey, a brilliant screenplay, and some excellent direction from Bryan Singer make THE USUAL SUSPECTS one of the most intelligently manipulative films you'll ever see. The plot is twisted and complicated, but by the end of it all, you realize you were fooled thanks to one kicker of a twist. I personally find the film hard to follow which is why I like it less than some, but the ending alone is worth seeing. One of the all-time great endings.
Mulholland Drive 2001,  R)
Mulholland Drive
What the heck just happened?
Animal Kingdom 2010,  R)
Animal Kingdom
There were a lot of great films from 2010, but none left an impression on me quite like this film did. Brilliant. Perfectly acted (especially Jacki Weaver), great writing, excellent use of music... overall just a great film that has become one of the favorite films of 2010.
Atonement 2007,  R)
Atonement
Simply stunning. One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. A fantastic romance-epic.
Babel 2006,  R)
Babel
Powerful. Cannot be misses. Rinko Kikuchi gives the performance of a lifetime.
The Departed 2006,  R)
The Hours 2002,  PG-13)
The Hours
Absolutely fantastic! Watching The Hours was such a wonderful experience; it was one of those times where I felt like I experienced something unreal. I've seen a decent amount of movies, some good, some bad, but one of the things I love about watching films is that every once in a while you view something that completely takes you away, and surprises you like you never thought. It's usually impossible to describe why, but basically...film is powerful. The Hours is an incredible masterpiece!

Everything about the film is excellent, bpecial mention has to go to the acting...The Hours is one of the absolute best displays of acting performances, ever...hands down. Nicole Kidman is stunning, Meryl Streep is perfect as usual, and Julianne Moore gives one of the best female peformances of all time. The three main actresses completely blew me away. The supporting cast was perfect also, not just very good, perfect. Toni Collete, Claire Danes, Jeff Daniels, Stephen Dillane, Allison Janney...they all are fantastic here, even when they may only have had a 5 or 6 minute scene. Ed Harris stands out as one of the strongest of the supporting cast!

Also, the musical score by Phillip Glass is one of the best I have ever heard. It took the emotion to a whole other level.

I recommend going into this film knowing as little about it as possible. I think it makes the experience so much stronger.

The Hours is an incredible movie experience. I recommend it entirely!
For sure one of the best action/sci-fi movies ever. It's so emotionally engaging, so mindbogglingly(?) epic, nothing compares to the epic awesomeness of this film. As I'm sure you can tell, I love this movie.
There are way to many people that simply "like" this movie and I don't get how that's possible. It's great in almost every way. Second, just becuase a film has similar theme and plot element as other films (Pocahantas, Dances With Wolves), does not mean it's automatically unoriginal? I see the similarities between the films, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because this is a brilliant film. So what if it is, Avatar has created it's own little world when it comes to film. Nothing compares to the visual effects, graphics, and action. I don't think people realize that.
The best film of 2009....by far. I would have loved to it win Best Picture. I really enjoyed The Hurt Locker, but when it was done, it was done. I felt almost nothing when it was over. Avatar gave me small emotional doses of what I experienced during the LOTR Trilogy. But I guess films like Avatar aren't Oscar material.
Also, I love Zoe Saldana's performance as Neytiri. The equivalent of Andy Serkis' Smeagol performance!
Loved every second of this film!
The Fighter 2010,  R)
The Fighter
The Fighter was the one movie that I knew I had to see in 2010. My two favorite actors are Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I knew I had to see this film to see them together. As the release date came closer, and as more and more Oscar buzz flowed, I knew this was going to be a great one. It is. This film is easily among the 5 best films of the year, if not the best.

The best part of this film is the acting. Unbelievable! The three main supporting cast members give some of the best performances I have ever seen. They have to go down as one strongest supporting casts ever. I believe Christian Bale will finally receive his long overdue Oscar. His performance is simply incredible. He completely takes ownership of the role and simply disappears entirely into the character. His character changes so much throughout the film and no better actor could have delivered as affectively. I also loved Melissa Leo's performance. Absolutely stunning! She is so real and believable as the tough mother. Her performance is truly remarkable. I believe Melissa Leo will win the Oscar for best supporting actress, but it was Amy Adams that completely made this film for me. Her performance is phenomenal! She completely steals every scene. She flawlessly portrays the quiet but tough Charlene. This film shows Amy Adams at her best. She, too, will receive an Oscar nomination, hopefully the win. Also, her performance really allows Mark Wahlberg to shine as well. He gives a good performance, but the entire film is dominated by stellar supporting actors.

A thing that surprised me was the screenplay. The script is simply fantastic. It is so real, strong, and genuinely portrays what the people of the area and time would have been like. The script also has many humorous moments that were surprising, but absolutely perfect.

The Fighter is so much more than a typical sports or boxing film. It focuses more on relationships, family, and conflicts as opposed to the boxing.

I have to mention the final fight scene.....brilliant. The perfect ending to a great movie. After being blessed with the first 90 minutes of the film, we are treated by an awesome final boxing scene. Loved it!

Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, this is a brilliant film. Far better than Rocky and Raging Bull will ever be. This deserved every amount of praise it received. Props to Mark Wahlberg for pushing to create this film!

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites!
Dead Poets Society 1989,  PG)
Dead Poets Society
One of my favorite movies of all-time! A brillant, touching, tragic story. Great performances, too. Great movie all around!
Trainspotting 1996,  R)
Trainspotting
So excellent. A devastating film.
Beauty and the Beast 2012,  G)
Beauty and the Beast
Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney's best films. Nominated for 6 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and being the very first animated to receive that honor, this classic film is one of the best animated films of all time.
Seven (Se7en) 1995,  R)
Seven (Se7en)
Seven is one the best thrillers I have ever seen. Every second is smart and intense. I enjoyed Morgan Freeman and Gwyneth Paltrow's performance. This film has one of the best, creepiest bad guys ever!
Inglourious Basterds 2009,  R)
Inglourious Basterds
A brilliant film that's one of Tarantino's absolute best. Some of the scenes run a bit long, but the sharp screenplay moves the plot along nicely. Solid performances. One of the best of 2009!
The Graduate 1967,  PG)
The Graduate
Excellent, excellent, excellent. This brilliant film launched the career of one of Hollywood's greatest actors, Dustin Hoffman. After a few short moments, it's easy to tell why. His performance as Benjamin Braddock is flawless, to say the least. Alongside Hoffman is Anne Bancroft, who also gives a stunning, memorable performance as Mrs. Robinson. Katharine Ross also is convincing as Elaine Robinson.
The best way to describe The Graduate is just that it's so memorable. Every scene is so unique and so different. The scuba-diving scene, Hoffman with the cross at the church, the final bus scene. It's just a joy to watch...
The great sountrack by Simon and Garfunkel is also quite nice.
Basically, if you haven't seen this film, see it. It's wonderful and I cannot recommend it enough.
Casino Royale 2006,  PG-13)
Casino Royale
A total surprise! Not only is this a great Bond movie, it may very weel be the best Bond movie. Truly, a great film!
Hugo 2011,  PG)
Hugo
Wonderful. A joyous and magical experience. Nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director.
Good Will Hunting 1997,  R)
Good Will Hunting
I have wanted to see this film for a very long time. I finally was blessed with the opportunity to watch it and my already high expectations were greatly exceeded. This film is brilliant in every way a film can. Touching story, great scenery, fantastic script, near perfect acting. This gem of a film really sets the standard for a good film.
The part that blew me away the most was the acting. Simply out of this world. Matt Damon's strongest performance to date, well deserved of the Oscar nod. Robin Williams, again, shows us that he's more than a comedic performer. He delivers here and is worthy of the Oscar. Also, Ben and Casey Affleck give strong supporting performances. The performance that really did it for for though was that of Minnie Driver. She owned every second and demanded that her character be noticed. One of the strongest supporting perfomances I have ever seen. She truly was absolutely fantastic in this film and was WELL deserving of an Oscar nom.
You absolutely cannot miss this film. It's got it all. A strong, brilliant, touching, well-rounded film!
The Silence of the Lambs 1991,  R)
The Silence of the Lambs
A great film! The Silence of the Lambs is another one of those movies that I waited way too long to watch. Winner of 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Actor, and Best Adapted Screenplay, this film is one that will be remembered as one of the best of the thriller/horror genre.

The best things about the film are the two stellar performances by Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. I'm normally not much of a Jodie Foster fan, but she was perfect as the rookie FBI agent, Clarice Starling. She brilliantly taps into the emotional aspect of the story and makes the already intense story that much more gripping and thrilling. Anthony Hopkins is one creepy dude. He brilliantly portrays the crazy Dr. Lector. His character definitely makes my list of scariest villians. The escape scene is particularly disturbing. Even though it is so creepy, that scene is now in my list of favorite movie scenes of all time. It's that intense. Also, Ted Levine was very convincing and creepy as "Buffalo Bill." Scott Glenn's performance was good, too.

The Silence of the Lambs is one of those films that everyone should see. There are so many memorable characters and performances, it cannot be missed. Also, this film remains the only "horror" film to win an Academy Award for Best Picture! I completely recommend this film!
You Can't Take It with You 1938,  G)
You Can't Take It with You
So perfect! I love Frank Capra. Simple, funny, real, memorable, and thought provoking.
Black Swan 2010,  R)
Black Swan
Yes! Another another amazing film from director, Darren Aronofsky. For me, Black Swan is the perfect example of a modern classic film. A true piece of art, astounding in so many ways. Immediately after the opening credits, the film left a tense, uneasy feeling in my gut. The atmosphere was established, and I was instantly at the edge of my seat, knowing that something was off. I was immediately taken into the film. The brilliant musical score was very effective in establishing the dark tones, as was the perfect cinematography. I loved the use of color in the film; blacks and whites dominated the color palette of the film, establishing the dark tone, but also to further emphasizing the idea of good vs. evil. The acting was excellent; stunning performances by supporting cast members Barbara Hershey, Winona Ryder, Vincent Cassel, and especially Mila Kunis, who is really showing herself to be a talented young actress with a bright future. Natalie Portman gives the best performance though. In fact, it's the best of her career...she is this film. She portrayed every emotion with a level of maturity and grace that I have never seen before. Her character, Nina, changes so much as the film goes on, but Portman handles the role perfectly. It truly was a brilliant performance, worthy of every praise it received. She more than definitely deserved her Oscar for Best Actress! The film builds to a trippy, but amazing ending; the last 40 minutes of the film were pure gold. Some of the best film scenes I have ever seen, everything came together in a satisfying fashion.

Black Swan is a brilliant, brilliant film. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, and winner of 1 Academy Award (Best Actress - Natalie Portman), this film is must see! Unlike any other film. Black Swan: I recommend it!
The Truman Show 1998,  PG)
The Truman Show
A truly fantastic film, a one of a kind masterpiece.

The Truman Show is smart, unique, touching, and completely ahead of it's time. The filming style and the different camera angles really set the film apart and give it an authentic "reality T.V." feel, even though reality television wasn't that big at that time. Director Peter Weir really did a great job with this one!

The screenplay was very excellent! It gives the film a higher level of charm and individuality. The film's story is in the "comedy drama" genre, so the script easily could have been a mess. But The Truman Show was brilliantly written and is able to deliver smart, sweet, humorous moments, but also deliver thought provoking commentary.

In fact, I think that's one of the best attributes of the film. It is deep...deeper than alot of people realize. I think it delivers powerful commentary that is worthy of a serious viewing...

The performances were good all across the board. Jim Carrey gives a fantastic performance as the main character, Truman Burbank. He's such a talented comedian, but he is also a worthy dramatic performer. He's able to do both here, so it's an even more well-rounded performance. Laura Linney also does a great job, she's one of my favorite actresses and I thoroughly enjoyed her performance. Ed Harris gives a phenomenal performance as the creator of the show, Christof. He recieved much praise for his performance, including an Oscar nomination, but I still feel this performance slipped under the radar. Truly, a wonderful performance.

The Truman Show: A brilliant, brilliant film! Smart, fresh, funny, tragic, thought-provoking...excellent! Nominated for 3 Academy Awards including Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor, everyone needs to see this movie. One of my all time favorites!
Rear Window 1954,  PG)
Rear Window
For my first Hitchcock film ever, I was very pleased. A classic film that upholds its reputation as one of the best. It's such a great thriller, not only through the main story, but also the small stories of all the neighbors as well. I love all the characters and their development. Brilliant! I also loved the romance, very memorable, it gives more depth to the film. James Stewart gives a very layed back performance. He's very real, and believable. Grace Kelly is simply stunning and beautiful!
Great film! So glad I finally got to watch it.
Shakespeare in Love 1998,  R)
Shakespeare in Love
One of the most criminally underappreciated Best Picture winners of all-time. Yes, I think Saving Private Ryan is better, but I absolutely loved Shakespeare in Love!...
Ben-Hur 1959,  G)
Drive 2011,  R)
Drive
Stylish and unique! One of the absolute best films of 2011. Robbed in virtually every category at the Oscars this year.
Kill Bill: Volume 1 2003,  R)
Kill Bill: Volume 1
I really loved this movie! It was extemely exciting to watch: action, awesome fighting, blood, Tarantino dialogue. It is great!

Some things were definitely taken to the extreme, but I think it works here. I believe Tarantino is one of the few directors that is able to handle it. I could have done without some of the blood; it was a little stupid at times, but that's the only negative thing about this film.

From first glance, this film comes across as stupid, but that is not the case. It really is a highly enjoyable film.
Take Shelter 2011,  R)
Take Shelter
One of the best films of 2011. A brilliant film in every way. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain give Oscar caliber performances in this emotional drama. The last 30-40 minutes are the most intense I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it!
Slumdog Millionaire 2008,  R)
Slumdog Millionaire
Wonderful movie! Definitely deserved of it's praise; it was one of the best of 2008! The story was very intense and touching, especially the scenes when the main characters were children. Reminded me alot of City of God. Truly a great film. I really enjoyed it!
Chinatown 1974,  R)
Chinatown
A great film! Starring Jack Nicholson as cop turned private detective, Jake Gittes, Chinatown follows the mysterious case that ensues after a woman hires Gittes to spy on her husband; greed, deception, and secrets follow as Gittes uncovers a scandal involving the Los Angeles water supply. This film is wonderfully written, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's so great about the script, but I thought the script was well-done and extremely effective. The story progressed nicely, building up to a great ending. The acting was solid as well, especially from Nicholson and Faye Dunaway. Nicholson has such a charm and moxie about him that really shines here. Dunaway is equally as brilliant as the interesting and mysterious Mrs. Mulwray! Both received well deserved Oscar nods. This classic film is a must-see for any film lover; nominated for 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, and Best Actress, this is a classic!
Bonnie and Clyde 1967,  R)
Toy Story 1995,  G)
Toy Story
THE animated movie! Pixar's 1995 debut film is one that is and will be remembered forever. It has launched a studio that has given us some of the best films in the past decades, and will continue to do so as long as it exists. While I feel Toy Story 3 is Pixar's best film, Toy Story gets similar praise. TS3 wouldn't have been perfect if this film hadn't been great. An epic, classic film. One of my favorites as a kid, but it still has the goods for entertainment now.
Lost In Translation 2003,  R)
Lost In Translation
I absolutely loved it! A brilliant film...
Adaptation 2002,  R)
Adaptation
Brilliant; I absolutely loved it!
To Kill A Mockingbird 1962,  Unrated)
It Happened One Night 1934,  Unrated)
It Happened One Night
A classic film! So glad I finally had the opportunity to watch this film. It represents a turning point in Hollywood. This is the first true romcom. Claudette Colbert is fantastic here! I love the motel scene, hilarious!
Little Miss Sunshine 2006,  R)
Little Miss Sunshine
Love this movie! From the introduction scene with the family dinner, to the final scene with the family dancing with Olive, this little film is pure genius! Every second is smart funny, yet utterly real and touching. Little Abigail Breslin is so perfect, especially with her special talent. This is the second film I've seen Paul Dano in he and gives another performance that I really enjoyed. Alan Arkin is great as well. The whole cast is great in this great movie!
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 1969,  PG)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Such a great film! Icons Robert Redford and Paul Newman are fantastic, and their chemistry remarkable. Great cinematography. Awesome shoot-outs. Classic Western!
Letters from Iwo Jima 2006,  R)
Letters from Iwo Jima
Clint Eastwood....he is such a brilliant director. He dared to take Hollywood where it had never gone before, the heart and mind of the enemy. With this film, he told a story that few have ever heard. Letters from Iwo Jima is yet another masterpiece by Eastwood and is a film that will proudly be among the best of his films.

The cinematography was something that really stood out to me. With the gray colors, dark setting, war torn scenes, gloomy horizons, a tone is established without even knowing the story. It shows the desperation of the Japanese. As the story begins to unfold, the emotions become present in the characters, emphasizing the tone and beautiful cinematography.

The story itself was absolutely fascinating. I love history and I've seen alot of war films, but this story was completely foreign to me. My perception of the opposing side was completely different than the story of the film. Eastwood brilliantly taps into the other side of the story, and magnificently captures it in this film. I felt touched, emotional, amazed, and educated while watching this film. Yes, it is only a film, but I believe much can be learned from the stories and emotions that come from film.

Ken Watanabe delivers an unmissable performance. He is fantastic here, as is the rest of the cast.

Although this film is very very slow, it is a fantastic film. One of the best war films, and also one of the best of 2006. See this film not only because it's good, but because of the story that it tells. It opened my mind to a whole nother point of view, and that's got to count for something. Letters of Iwo Jima is a brilliant masterpiece by Clint Eastwood. See this film! I recommend it! (Basically a 6 Star film but ......really, really slow.)
Brokeback Mountain 2005,  R)
Brokeback Mountain
Excellent film. One of those films that I'll admit I wanted to hate, because of the controversial topic, but I can't, because it is great. Everything about it is wonderful; the story, characters, the acting, the music, the direction. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent performances from Ledger, Gyllenhaal, Williams, and Hathaway. Nominated for 8 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor, this is a must see.
Platoon 1986,  R)
Platoon
Excellent! A standout film for War cinema. Platoon goes where so few films do, the emotional side of wartime. The cast is perfect with so many great performances, especially Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe, who both received Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actor. A great story, intense action, good writing, and memorable scenes. A great film! I recommend it!
Being John Malkovich 1999,  R)
Being John Malkovich
Excellent excellent film, brilliant concept, perfect execution!
Blade Runner 1982,  R)
Blade Runner
Brilliant! Unlike any Sci-Fi film in the genre. Truly a thought-provoking masterpiece!
Scarface 2003,  R)
Scarface
Brilliant! One of the best mob movies ever. Almost as good as the Godfathers and GoodFellas, in my opinion. Al Pacino gives a memorable and highly underrated performance as Tony Montana. Really good performances by Michelle Pfeiffer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio too. A classic!
Milk 2008,  R)
Milk
I absolutely loved it! Sean Penn gives the best performance of his career. He truly steps into the character and completely deserved his Oscar. Great cast. There were a few minor missteps here and there, particularly with some of the character development, but that does not hold this film back from being one of the absolute best films of 2008. A stand out film of the modern Civil Rights movement.
Moulin Rouge! 2001,  PG-13)
Moulin Rouge!
Finally got a chance to rewatch this, and I loved it even more this time. What a film! No director has a signature touch like Baz Luhrmann, and Moulin Rouge! lives up to that with it's grand scale, elaborate sets, glamorous costumes, and unique music. Kidman and McGregor both give great performances; Kidman deserved an Oscar for Best Actress but was only nominated. A truly rewarding film experience.
City Lights 1931,  G)
City Lights
A wonderful, classic film of the silent film era. Charlie Chaplin is nothing short of amazing here; he truly is a brilliant comedic performer. He delivers a hilarious and fantastic performance as The Tramp. Virginia Cherrill is also great as The Blind Girl, and she's adorable. This film is funny, sweet, cute, and a classic. I recommend it!
Quiz Show 1994,  PG-13)
Quiz Show
An excellent film! A new favorite of mine. I knew very little about the film, but the title intrigued me...Quiz Show, it sounded interesting, and it really was. The film is about the Twenty-One Quiz Show scandal of the 1950's...i had never heard of the scandals.

The first thing that stood out to me was the great cast. This film is acted to perfection! The whole cast: John Turturro, Rob Morrow, David Paymer, Hank Azaria, all give solid performances...but for me Paul Scofield and Ralph Fiennes were excellent. They really gave a higher level of emotion to the film, the characters felt more real to me. Even when I knew who the bad guys were and I knew that what certain characters were doing was wrong, I still felt for them. The actors also did a great job of portraying the intense conflict that arises from lies and greed. Paul Scofield definitely deserved his Oscar nomination, and I even think Ralph Fiennes was overlooked and deserved a nomination as well; he gives a fantastic performance!

Another thing I loved was the overall feel and atmosphere of the film. The cinematography was excellent; the 1950's atmosphere was very good. The costumes, lighting, props, sets...this film is extremely well done.

Also, the writing and direction is great. Robert Redford is a great director, and he does not dissappoint here...Quiz Show is a near perfect film for me, and this is the second film of his that is among my all-time favorites. As for the script, it was excellent and felt very real. It is well worthy of its Oscar nomination for Best Screenplay!

1994 was such a great year for film...Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, but also Quiz Show! This is a brilliant film that I absolutely recommend it. The cast, script, cinematography, message, conflict, story...everything about it is great! Nominated for 4 Academy Awards, see this movie. I absolutely loved it!
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 1983,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Does not disappoint. Fantastic!
L.A. Confidential 1997,  R)
American History X 1998,  R)
American History X
Great movie! Extemely powerful and touching unlike any other film. Edward Norton gives a stellar performance here, deserving of his Oscar nomination. The supporting cast also gives great performance, Beverly D'Angelo and Edward Furlong in particular. This is an incredible, moving film. You cannot miss this!
Star Trek 2009,  PG-13)
Star Trek
Absolutely fantastic! I know nothing about the previous Star Trek films or shows so I do not know where this film fits or whether or not it does justice to the saga, but regardless....this film was great. One of the best of 2009!
The Wrestler 2008,  R)
The Wrestler
The Wrestler is an excellent film. One of the most depressing, yet utterly real dramas I have ever seen. Mickey Rourke gives an ASTOUNDING performance as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. He is worthy of every praise he received and i'm so thrilled he was able to come away with at least an Oscar nomination. Alongside Rourke is the stunning Marisa Tomei as the aging stripper, Cassidy. Another one of the powerful performances in the film. Evan Rachel Wood gives a stunning performance also, as much of the films emotional power comes from her character. The cinematography is top notch, brilliantly capturing the depressing tone of the film. The soundtrack is great. Everything is great. Fantastic, powerful, moving, memorable film by Darren Aronofsky!
Finding Nemo 2003,  G)
Finding Nemo
A great film! Only Pixar could take a story about 3 fish and turn it into a masterful, timeless film.

Finding Nemo is the film that really showed the world what they were made of. They showed that they could make an animated film that could compare to live-action movies.

Ellen DeGeneres is PERFECT as Dory. The best voice-over performance I have seen. She created one of the most memorable characters in recent years.

Also, the script of this film is.....legit. There were times I was laughing histerically at some of the things that were being said.

Nemo is great. Watch it!
Juno 2007,  PG-13)
Juno
Completely deserving of the Best Screenplay Oscar......
"Sorry, I'm on my hamburger phone."
Love it.
Ellen Page is so brilliant!
One of the best films of the strong year, 2007!
Warrior 2011,  PG-13)
Warrior
Easily the one of the most satisfying films of 2011 as well as one of the best. Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy, and Nick Nolte are terrific; all three give some of the best performances of 11. An emotional powerhouse that features some brilliant drama sequences that make the film one of the most touching and realistic I've seen in a while.
My Fair Lady 1964,  G)
JFK 1991,  R)
Capote 2005,  R)
Capote
Great film! Very slow, but once the story gets going, it grips you hard and never lets you go. Philip Seymour Hoffman is absolutely perfect and gives on the best male performances I've seen. A truly devastating performance and one that certainly makes PSH worthy of his Oscar win; it's remarkable how excellent he is. One of the absolute best of 05.
Ratatouille 2007,  G)
Ratatouille
A brilliant, fantastic, excellent film! One of my favorites from Pixar Studios. Ratatouille is so different than other animated films, I feel. It's so unique and so smart. I absolutely love it. Almost perfect!
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2011,  R)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I loved it! I personally liked it a lot more than the Swedish version (both are brilliant films). A little long. Rooney Mara is brilliant, we'll be hearing about her in the future. The opening credits are super stylish and epic.
District 9 2009,  R)
District 9
This film really surprised me. I had high expectations, but I did not know this would be great. This film is brilliant!

The thing that caught my attention right away was the documentary sections. I did not think it could be so appealing, but the mockumentary strategy really sets this film apart from every other lame alien movie. It makes the entire story feel so real. Brilliant filmaking! For a relatively low budget, indie film, I was surprised by how great the special effects were. The action scenes were awesome, as were the aliens. I also really liked the gory parts of the film, it works. I was also very surprised by the acting, particularly by first time actor, Sharlto Copley. He gives a very strong and emotional performance that really carried the film and added a great level of emotion and intensity to the film.

This is an absolutely fantastic movie. Right alongside Avatar as one of the best films of 2009!
21 Grams 2003,  R)
21 Grams
My least favorite of the trilogy. The story jumps around a little too much in my opinion, but the film holds together enough to still deliver a powerful finale. Profound. Stunning cast.
WALL-E 2008,  G)
WALL-E
In the world of animated films, WALL-E is a standout film. Although not one of my favorite animated features, I cannot deny what a landmark film it is. Animated films are now beginning to be more emotional and as deep as live film movies. WALL-E is a great example of the bright future for this genre of film. Not only does this film have brilliant music, effects, sound, editing, characters...it also delivers a thought provoking message about what our life and technology could become, exagerated of course, in the future. Any film that can express such a message in the undertones of a child movie, deserves praise. WALL-E is a brilliant film! Pixar has yet to disappoint!
The English Patient 1996,  R)
The English Patient
Excellent! One of the most stunning, epic, classic romance films I have ever seen. Winner of 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress, this is a must see! (Even if you are a dude).

This is definitely a chick flick, but it's extremely well made. The cast is brilliant, especially Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas. The cinematography is stunning, the musical score is incredible and touching. The story is great, as is the script. The film is also a geat period piece.

I recommend this film, even if it's not your type. It's excellent!
A Beautiful Mind 2001,  PG-13)
A Beautiful Mind
A Beautiful Mind is a beautiful film! There's not much to be said of it really.

The story is excellent, spanning over a period of many years in the life of mentally ill, John Nash, played by Russell Crowe. The plot with the reality and hallucination sequences was extremely affective, and well done. Also, powerful and touching.

The acting is fantastic, both leading and supporting roles alike. Supporting actors Ed Harris, Paul Bettany, Judd Hirsch, and Josh Lucas really give strong performances. Russell Crowe received an Oscar nomination...he gives a great performance, but it was the beautiful and stunning Jennifer Connelly who makes this film. Her performance as Nash's wife, Alicia, is brilliant...one of my favorite supporting performances. She's one of my favorite actresses. She definitely deserved her Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

Excellent musical score by James Horner!

I think one of the things I liked most about the film is the emotion. Parts of the story are so sad, tragic even. I really felt for the characters and that made all the difference. There are some powerful and emotional scenes in this film.

Even though this film "stole" Best Picture from LotR: The Fellowship of Ring, this is still an excellent, near perfect film. Ron Howard brilliantly directed this movie, and it will most likely remain his very best. Everything about it is excellent...I love this film! I completely recommend this!
Pride and Prejudice 2005,  PG)
Pride and Prejudice
This film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it.

There's really not much to say about this one. The story is great, and brilliantly adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel. The cinematography is excellent, as are the props, costumes, etc...you are truly transported into the era. The music is good; the writing is good; the cast is good...everything about this film is good.

Special mention must go to Keira Knightley Oscar nominated performance. It really was that good! She's an actress that I highly respect and enjoy despite the skeptics that accuse her of not being that great of an actress. But her performance here is proof of her talents. I loved her in this film!

Pride & Prejudice is an excellent film! A must see! One of the best films of 2005.
Black Hawk Down 2001,  R)
Black Hawk Down
Excellent, excellent, excellent!

In the same league as Saving Private Ryan, it's that good. BHD is not only one of my favorite war films, but one of my favorite films period!
War Horse 2011,  PG-13)
War Horse
Steven Spielberg, yet again, proves to be one of the best directors and story tellers of our time. Only he could take a story about the relationship between a horse and his boy and turn it into a heart warming adventure. The character development is arguably the best thing about the film; War Horse has many different characters, some only in the movie for a few scenes, but almost immediately their roles in the grand story are seen. The cinematography is gorgeous and the score sweeping. I can't recommend this film enough. Excellent; one of the best films of the year!
Walk the Line 2005,  PG-13)
Walk the Line
Roger Ebert said this about the film and I completely agree with him: "The music is great, the drama is great, the writing is great, the performances are great, I love it!"

Joaquin Phoenix gives a brilliant performance as Johnny Cash, and Reese Witherspoon gives the performance of her career! She completely deserved her Oscar.
Far From Heaven 2003,  PG-13)
Far From Heaven
Underrated. A terrific film...
Almost Famous 2000,  R)
Almost Famous
Loved it. Kate Hudson is fantastic; she should have won the Oscar back in 01 over Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock. I can can only imagine how much better Hudson's career would have be if she had won...
The Green Mile 1999,  R)
Inception 2010,  PG-13)
Inception
My mind has been blown by Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and now....Inception. Easily alongside the top films of 2010, this film is truly unbelievable in every way. Basically, if you have not seen this film, you have waited way to long, as I did. You must see this film for yourself! There is so much to be said of it, but so few words that can explain it.

The story is simply brilliant, written by Nolan himself. Dream within a dream, within a dream, within a dream......just when you think you got everything sorted out, Nolan dishes an ending that, like the characters, makes the audience rethink everything they just viewed.

AMAZING special effects! I figured that they would be good, but I was blown away. The slow-mo, the rotating rooms, the anti-gravity scenes....awesome!

Also the cast is (mostly) great. I do not like Leonardo DiCaprio, but he has yet to make a movie that I have disliked, so his average at best performances do not bother me, even though I felt he needed to bring more to this character (sorry, I'm just not a fan). I love Ellen Page. Marion Cotillard is incredible in this film, and Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are just too cool.
The Descendants 2011,  R)
The Descendants
Really great film! George Clooney gives the best performance of his career. Nominated for 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor. One of the absolute best films of the year!...
Forrest Gump 1994,  PG-13)
Unforgiven 1992,  R)
Unforgiven
A classic Western! I really haven't seen too many Westerns, but this is the best one that I have ever seen. Nominated for 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, Unforgiven is a true example of a film that proved the Western could be legit again.

The writing and cinematography are excellent here, both recieving Oscar nominations, but the thing that really sets Unforgiven apart from other Westerns I have seen is the acting. The cast is excellent here. Star and Director Clint Eastwood, again, gives a phenomenal performance as Bill Munny. Alongside Eastwood is Morgan Freeman; their chemistry was really nice, and Freeman also gives a great performance. The supporting cast was good too...Richard Harris, Jaimz Woolvett, and Frances Fisher give extremely solid performances.

The best performance of the entire film though is Gene Hackman as the Sheriff. I think the Sheriff is one of the best villains in cinema history, and Hackman completely owned the character perfectly. He won Best Supporting Actor for his performance and it was completely deserved!

Another thing that I really liked was the pacing. A lot of westerns are boring, usually with an exciting shoot out or two, but this one was different. The story was full of excitement and executed to perfection!

I completely recommend this classic!
Kramer vs. Kramer 1979,  PG)
Kramer vs. Kramer
A great drama film! Great performances and really good writing. Hoffman is excellent and Meryl Streep is stunning! Winner of 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress. I can't recommend this one enough.
Monsters, Inc. 2001,  G)
Monsters, Inc.
Another underrated Pixar gem! Monster's Inc. is a brilliant film.
Dances With Wolves 1990,  PG-13)
Dances With Wolves
Many people think the 1990 Oscar for Best Picture should have gone to GoodFellas; I might have preferred that also, but don't discredit this film for that reason. This is a great film! Along with 92's Unforgiven, Dances With Wolves revamped the Western genre, making it popular again. Nominated for 12 Academy Awards and winner of 7, this classic film is a must see!
Titanic 1997,  PG-13)
Titanic
Titanic.....where to begin. First, too many people diss on this film. We can question how it's one of the highest grossing films of all time, we can wonder how it won 11 Oscars, we can wonder how it's ranked as one of the best films ever, but the fact of the matter is, is that it is what is because we loved it. I do not get how 68% of user like this film when everyone knows that most everybody has scene it and liked it enough to sit through the whole thing. So it's weird that people are so set that this is a bad film.

This film is a little long, cheesy, and the acting is not stellar, but this film captivates its audience so much that we are sucked into the film. Whether we like this film or not, Titanic is one of the films that will be remembered forever for the accomplishment that it is.

This great film, flawed as all movies are, is epic and worthy of alot its praise!
Die Hard 1988,  R)
Die Hard
I can't believe it took me so long to finally see this movie. Truly one of the best action films of all time. Intense action, violence, perfect pacing, a solid script, and good performances...this is a great film!
Rabbit Hole 2010,  PG-13)
Rabbit Hole
I thought this was excellent! I was very surprised by this film; I expected it to be good, but it was better than what I imagined. Nicole Kidman received an Oscar nomination for he role...I originally just assumed the Academy threw her in the lineup simply because she's a star and generally good in all of her films. I was completely wrong, as I was with the film, also. This film was great...one of my favorites of 2010!

The film starts out a little slow, but once it picks up, it's so good. The thing I loved the most about the film is that the story is so common, yet completely real. I have never seen a film, dealing with the same basic plot line, feel as real as Rabbit Hole. The dialogue and screenplay was absolutely fantastic. I literally felt like I could have been standing in a neighbors home; the script was so realistic. The acting that went along with the fantastic script: Superb! Nicole Kidman gives a truly great performance. One of the best of her career, and absolutely worthy of her Oscar nomination. Aaron Eckhart also gives a fantastic performance...definitely among the best performances of his career. Hats off the supporting cast as well: Dianne Wiest, Tammy Blanchard, Miles Teller, and Sandra Oh...they all give very solid performances.

I cannot speak more highly of this film! It truly blew me away. It was so simple, but real beyond belief. The acting is solid all across the board. See this film! I can't recommend it enough!
It's a Wonderful Life 1946,  PG)
The Great Escape 1963,  Unrated)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street 2007,  R)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Brilliant film! One of the best of 2007, and Johnny Depp gives the best performance of his career.
V for Vendetta 2006,  R)
V for Vendetta
Absolutely fantastic film! A modern classic in my opinion.

I love that we never get to see V's face.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2008,  PG-13)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Story-telling at it's finest! Great movie!
I absolutely love Cate Blanchett in this film. It's one of my favorite things about the film.
Gandhi 1982,  PG)
Braveheart 1995,  R)
Sin City 2005,  R)
Sin City
Brilliant! This is another one of those films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill that I never thought I'd like. Well...I loved it! What's not to love? Awesome characters, crazy violence, multiple storylines with no holes, interesting graphics, all-star cast...Sin City delivers!

The thing that grabbed my attention the most was the graphics. It had a certain 3D/Animated quality to it that completely takes you into the graphic novel world of Basin City. I literally felt in the time and place of it...I really really loved that about this film. It's definitely a total comic movie! Also, I found the black-white very nice and different. The use of random color is nice too, i'm not sure if there's artistic meaning in it...i bet there is, which is great too!

The star-filled cast also stood out to me, like seriously...who isn't in this movie. Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Elijah Wood, Rosario Dawson...they were all great. I particularly enjoyed Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Alexis Bledel, and Brittany Murphy. Awesome cast!

Then there's the fighting. It's graphic, even grotesque in some respects, but all the while it's entertaining, but artistic...even more so than Kill Bill, which is even more graphic. I was entertained, but it's still of great detail and quality.

My only complaint of the movie is the credits than ran after each segment, but other than that, it's pretty brilliant! One of the best films of 2005...I completely recommend it!
Gangs of New York 2002,  R)
Gangs of New York
Excellent! Daniel Day Lewis stands out the most in the film. He gives a stunning performance as the famous, Bill The Butcher. He completely deserved his Oscar nomination for Best Actor. The cinematography is another thing that stood out to me...everything from the sets, all the way to the costumes and props were absolutely perfect.
another great one from director, Martin Scorsese.

Nominated for an incredible 10 Academy Award nominations...including nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor, I cannot recommend this film enough!
The Insider 1999,  R)
The Insider
Excellent...I had high expectations, but this was brilliant!

The acting in this film is excellent, especially from leading actors Al Pacino and Russell Crowe, who recieved an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. His performance is excellent, but for me it was Al Pacino who deserved the Oscar nod. He gives a fantastic performance. The scipt of The Insider is genius! Even scenes with two characters talking in a car are intense. The dialogue in this film is so realistic and strong through the very long 170 minute running time, but it never lets up. Another thing that stuck out about this film is the music, not the music itself, but the way it is used! Even in the scenes where there is only soft music in the background, but it still adds SO much to emotion of the story. Finally, the direction is phenomenal in this film! This was my first Michael Mann film so I didn't know what to expect, but I definitely plan to seek out his other work now.

The Insider is an intense and emotional thriller that is a must see. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, see this movie!
Heavenly Creatures 1994,  R)
Heavenly Creatures
This was great! A devastating, yet utterly beautiful film!

After Peter Jackson's masterpieces, The Lord of the Rings, I became interested in his previous work, especially Heavenly Creatures. I am so glad I finally saw this because it is brilliant. It follows the lives of two girls who develop a close relationship after creating an imaginary world.

The first thing that stood out to me was the acting. This was the debut film for Melanie Lynsky and Kate Winslet, and what a debut it was! They both give phenomenal performances here. Both deserved Oscar nominations for this, and I am surprised not even one of them was nominated. The level of emotion and conflict they show is just unbeleivable, they really make this film as effective as it is. Also, Sarah Peirse gives a fantastic performance as the mother.

The second thing was the direction...Peter Jackson is brilliant! This easily could have been a mess. There were times in the beginning of the film where I kept that thought in the back of my mind, I was like "there's no way anyone could pull this film off, it's crazy!" I was completely wrong. There is so much that needed to be developed...the relationship of the girls, the real world, the fantasy world, the conflict in the parents. But it was all developed, this film is deep. This is the one thing that really made this film work for me.

Another thing that I really liked was how horrific and beautiful the film was. It really blew me away!

A stunning film by director Peter Jackson!
Doubt 2008,  PG-13)
Doubt
Based on a play, also entitled "Doubt," the film unfolds much like a piece of theater would with the dialogue and actors all in the spotlight. It's in this way that Doubt ultimately succeeds. The performances are all fantastic. Meryl Streep is brilliant in the lead role, while Philip Seymour Hoffman owns as the Priest and Amy Adams shines in a more reserved role; throughout the film, I found myself anxious for the next scene where the 3 would be together because they had great chemistry. Also Viola Davis delivers a great performance, she has only one scene in the film but makes it count by stealing it from the great Meryl Streep. All 4 garnered Oscar nominations. The film also benefits from a really good screenplay. It is never too obvious in delivering its themes and topics, but the dialogue and drama is enthralling nonetheless.
Super 8 2011,  PG-13)
Super 8
Truth is...I didn't want to see this that bad. I only saw it because it got good reviews and the movie that I originally wanted to see (Green Lantern) didn't. I'm so so glad I saw this film in theaters! It blew me away and I absolutely loved it! One of the best films of 2011 so far.

First off, props to the kid actors. They were excellent, especially Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning. Sometimes films that revolve mainly around kids fail because of annoying performances, but Super 8 was very good. I thought all the young actors did a fantastic job, as did the entire cast, but this movie's all about the kids.

The story and pace of the film were also very good. The premise of the story is something that isn't entirely original, especially as of late, but I thought it was brilliantly executed by the cast, and director J.J. Abrams (Star Trek). The pace and intensity was constantly building as the film progressed. It would slowly answer questions but not giving away too much like so many films do. The film builds wonderfly to a somewhat obvious, but very effective ending.

Also the visual effects were awesome, as was the 1970's cinematography. Good musical score, too.

Super 8 is definitely the surprise hit of the summer! I loved every second of it, and i'm really glad J.J. Abrams was able to pull off another solid film after the near perfect Star Trek in 09. Super 8 = 100% recommended!
Tangled 2010,  PG)
Tangled
Bravo, Walt Disney Pictures, Bravo!

#5 on my Animated Films list...truly a wonderful movie. Disney's 2nd best to only Beauty and the Beast! The music is lovely and reminded me of everything I loved about Disney as a kid! It's that good people, don't miss it!
The Help 2011,  PG-13)
The Help
Not a great film, but there's not much to dislike about this film. Tate Taylor's direction isn't all that special, but while the direction isn't great, he doesn't let his direction hold the film back. However, he did do one thing right; he let the actors act. The acting in The Help is terrific, great performances all around. Emma Stone is the "main" character and does a fine job. Viola Davis shines as the lead maid and Octavia Spencer is solid as well. One performance that isn't getting as much attention is Allison Janney; she's absolutely stunning and I don't think the film would be as good without her. The performance for me though is by Jessica Chastain...a truly fascinating character fueled by a masterful performance.

The Help is a must see film! A wonderful story fueled by beautiful performances. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture!
Crazy Heart 2009,  R)
Crazy Heart
Although it treads familiar territory, I really don't care because Crazy Heart is so well done that it's easily one of the most effective and satisfying films of its kind in years. The performances are great; Maggie Gyllenhaal is great (as usual), well deserving of her Oscar nom., and Jeff Bridges is brilliant and completely deserved his Oscar for Best Actor. Also, two key supporting characters played by Robert Duvall and Colin Farrell really knock the film out of park. Solid script, great music, perfect cast, Crazy Heart is one of the best films of 2009.
Garden State 2004,  R)
Garden State
Garden State is such a great film. Zach Braff truly shows is talent not only as a performer, but also as a talented writer and director. A brilliant script, with smart dialogue in nearly every scene. Natalie Portman is nothing short of amazing in this film.

Absolutely fantastic film. I recommend it. One of my favorites!
The Prestige 2006,  PG-13)
The Prestige
Wow! Genius! Christopher Nolan did it again. One of the smartest flims I have ever seen. This film starts out as a simple rivalry between to two magicians, but through a series of personal and emotional attacks towards each other, it becomes an intense obssession for superiority. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman give strong performaces as the lead roles, truly portraying the transformations that occur in their characters. Also the supporting cast gave great performances as well, Micheal Caine, Scarlet Johansson, Andy Serkis.....but especially Rebecca Hall. She too does a great job of showing the transformation in her character as Mrs. Borden.
This is yet another fantastic film by Christopher Nolan. He has yet to disappoint me, and he has continued to blow my mind. I find it very impressive that his most straighforward movie is Batman Begins. He is just the king of deep, smart, trickly, detailed films. I love his movies for that! I love The Prestige! One of my favorites.
The Bourne Ultimatum 2007,  PG-13)
Marvel's The Avengers 2012,  PG-13)
Marvel's The Avengers
If you have yet to see this film, get to the nearest theater right away...treat yourself to a brilliant film from Marvel Studios! It's that good...seeing it again in less than 24 hrs...I advise you do the same. It's awesome...
The Little Mermaid 1989,  G)
The Little Mermaid
Certainly a classic, but this film has never been of my favorite Disney movies.
Spider-Man 2 2004,  PG-13)
Spider-Man 2
Perfect! A fantastic film! Spiderman 2 is Marvel's best film! It's among the best of it's genre if not the best. Everything that was perfect about the first film the second exemplifies!

But, the thing that really stands out to me about this film is the growth and development of the story and characters. I think this film taps into the depth and emotion of the story. Sometimes films like this tend to focus on the action too much, but this film brilliantly taps into both, creating an emotional level unlike anything I have ever seen.

I LOVE this film. One of my favorites. This film is so underrated.....i mean yes, everyone likes it, but it is so much more. Brilliant!
The Birds 1963,  PG-13)
The Birds
One of Hitchcock's absolute best, and thrilling films...
Gladiator 2000,  R)
Gladiator
Winner of 5 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Actor, this epic film is a must see.
Wings 1927,  PG-13)
Wings
For my first silent film ever, Wings more than met my standards, it blew me away. Winner of the very first Best Picture Academy Award, this film is one that every movie buff should see. It really is one of the gems of the silent-film era. I went into this this having never experienced a silent movie before and I absolutely loved it.

For a simple story, this film still packs a powerful punch of emotion. The fact that the film has no dialogue makes the viewer have to try to connect to the story and characters. This makes the audience not only experience the emotion of the characters, but it also allows them to experience it in a way that modern film can't that often. The performances also added to this....Clara Bow, Charles Rogers, Richard Allen....they deliver good performances. The small appearance by Gary Cooper was also very nice.

A thing that surprised me were the special effects. There was never a time in the film where I felt the battle scenes looked fake. They were in no way as real as in today's films, but for 1927, they were very nice.

The music is very nice, too.

Wings is a gem that everyone should see! See this film because it's the very first Oscar winner, but also because it represents one of the most influencial eras in film history. Do not let the 1927 release date keep you away, it's fantastic! I recommend this film to everyone.
Children of Men 2006,  R)
Children of Men
A great film! Very unique and interesting. I loved the action scenes, they were realistic and intense.
Terms of Endearment 1983,  PG)
Terms of Endearment
A great film! So touching. Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger both give great performances! I had originally given this film a 4/5 rating. However I have recently decided to bump it up to a 4.5/5. I will never forget this film...the acting, the story, the characters, the execution...it's an extremely well done film.
North by Northwest 1959,  Unrated)
North by Northwest
Another classic film from director Alfred Hitchcock! The perfect mystery movie.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 1977,  PG)
The Sting 1973,  PG)
Oliver! 1968,  G)
The Bourne Identity 2002,  PG-13)
How to Train Your Dragon 2010,  PG)
How to Train Your Dragon
Whoa!? Dreamworks where did this come from? What great, heart-felt film...one of the best films of 2010 and one of the best animated films of recent years...
The Town 2010,  R)
The Town
So excellent! I would have loved to see this film grab the 10th Best Picture nominee slot last year...one of the best films of 2010.
Catch Me If You Can 2002,  PG-13)
Catch Me If You Can
This film is so fun and nothing but a complete joy to watch. It's not your typical Spielberg movie, but it's definitely one of the most enjoyable. The cast, story, humor, cinematography, pace, flow, emotion.....it was all great! I'm thrilled to have this as part of my personal collection.

The performances were great all across the board. I'm not a big Leo fan, but I really enjoyed his performance here. He portrayed a wide variety of emotions and feelings throughout the film and I thought that he brilliantly executed each persona nicely. Tom Hanks is great, but is he ever anything less? Christopher Walken gives a highly overlooked performance as Abagnale Sr. He adds a tragic element to the story and gives the film a level of emotion that it easily could have forgotten. He gives a heart wrenching performance for which he recieved an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It was also nice seeing Jennifer Garner in her tiny role. I had no idea she was in the film.

Of course, I can't forget my Amy Adams. This was the first major role for Amy Adams, and what a performance it was. She really holds her own against actors like Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. One of my favorite scenes in the entire film is the Hospital scene where we first meet her character, Brenda. She completely OWNS the stage. In her first 4-5 minutes on camera, she is able to make a huge impression on the audience. Her smiles, grins, and southern accent totally drew me in; it really is a brilliant performance. Yes, she is my favorite actress, but I really do think she gives a stellar peformance in this scene, and in all of her scenes, as well. She, like Christopher Walken, adds a level of emotion the film easily would have lacked.

The cinematography was good as well. As were the costumes. The 1960's appearance was very appealing.

Based of the true story of young Frank Abagnale Jr., Spielberg takes you on a journey that can't be forgotten. It is so fun and irresistable in every way. Great story, great cast, great suspense, great film. I recommend this excellent film to anyone that in for a fun ride!
Dark City 1998,  R)
Dark City
Phenomenal film! One of the best Sci-Fi movies I have seen in a while, and definitely one of my new favorites. Dark City is one of the most thought-out and well done films I have seen. Director Alex Proyas did an excellent job with this film. The pacing is perfect; I had tons of questions throughout, but never was I bored or completely lost. The director takes his time and never assumes the audience needs a rushed conclusion. Basically, you need to this movie. Everything about it is fantastic...the concept, story, cast, visuals, tone, music, emotion, pacing, direction. I literally could have asked no more from this film. Truly an underrated gem!
In Bruges 2008,  R)
Stranger Than Fiction 2006,  PG-13)
Stranger Than Fiction
This is one of my favorites! I love everything about it. This is my third review I have written for this movie; it's so hard to describe it and do it justice, especially when it's a little underrated.

First of all, the story is so smart, clever, complex, but all the while completely simple. The execution of it makes the difference, director Marc Forster did a perfect job with this one. It's different, touching, funny, and most importantly...thought-provoking! It really makes you think about life.

The cast is my absolute favorite thing about the film. I do not like Will Ferrell at all, nor do I like his movies. He's too over the top and rarely funny in my opinion, but here, he acts. He genuinely tries to portray a character, and he succeeds. He really gives a good performance, and to this day, this is the only film of his that I like and will confidently recommend to anyone. Emma Thompson gives a truly remarkable performance as the suicidal author, Karen Eiffel, who is plaqued with writers block. Her performance is so solid that I think she deserved an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress, but that's just me. I laughed at her, felt for her, and was even weirded out by her quirkiness. It's a well-rounded and highly memorable performance for me. Then there's the famous Dustin Hoffman who was excellently cast. Then there's Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays one of my all-time favorite movie characters ever, Miss Pascal, a free spirited Baker who becomes the love interest in the film. It's hard to describe her really, but Gyllenhaal is PERFECT! A stunning performance that I will never forget. Also the small roles of Queen Latifah, Tom Hulce, and Linda Hunt are so nice.

The script is another one of my favorite things about the film. How in the word was this not nominated for Best Screenplay? I'm no expert, but the writing and script of this film is smart, fresh, and brilliant. There are so many memorable and quotable dialogue scenes, it's not even funny. Add to that a brilliant cast and a good director....everything falls perfectly into place.

Also the locations used in the film are perfect! It gives the film an indie feel that I absolutely love.

Stranger Than Fiction: a great, near perfect comedy film! Completely underrated, in my opinion. I recommend it!
Cold Mountain 2003,  R)
Cold Mountain
A wonderful film! I really did not know what to expect when I watched this because I had only heard a little bit about it, some good, some bad. I was very surprised by how good it was. I loved it!

Best thing about the movie is the absolutely brilliant cast. I don't really like Nicole Kidman or Renee Zellweger, but I really enjoyed their performances. Renee Zellweger was worthy of her Oscar. Another thing that blew me away was the strong supporting cast. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Giovanni Ribisi, Eileen Atkins.....it really makes every scene in this film strong, entertaining, and touching, which adds lots of momentum to the film.

Why was this not nominated for 2003 Best Picture? Obviously The Return of the King was superior than any other film during that year, but Cold Mountain is definitely a better film than both Master and Commander, and Seabiscuit, which were both Best Picture nominees. This truly is a great film. I recommend it!
Batman Begins 2005,  PG-13)
The Lion King 2011,  G)
Kick-Ass 2010,  R)
Kick-Ass
So good! A great film. Unlike anything I've ever seen before. This comic book movie is wonderfully directed by Matthew Vaughn who can do no wrong. Chloe Moretz as Mindy/Hit Girl is unforgettable. Classic film!
Donnie Darko 2001,  R)
Donnie Darko
One of the oddest and weirdest movies I have ever seen. But I love every second of it! Definitely one of my favorites.
The best scene of the entire film and one of my favorite movie scenes ever, the dinner scene....
"You are such a fuckass."
Did you really just call me a fuckass? You can go suck a fuck."
.......What's a fuckass?"
Funniest thing I have ever seen!
The Fall 2006,  R)
The Fall
Beautiful. Features a great lead performance from Lee Pace.
Closer 2004,  R)
Closer
Fantasic film! I knew very little about this film going into it, so I had no idea what to expect. What I found was an intense, tragic story of the relatonships of four people. The story takes place over a period of many years, so the films jumps around alot, but I never felt lost at all. The story was so brilliantly executed that I was completely taken in by it.

The actors really added to this feeling. Natalie Portman and Clive Owen both give phenomenal performances, both worthy of Oscar noms. It was nice to see Natalie Portman's first "adult" role....now I can't wait to see her performance in Black Swan. Jude Law and Julia Roberts also give great performances. The acting in this film is fantastic and really adds to to complexity of the story. Yes, the characters piss me off like no other, but the performances add a sense of realism to the story, allowing for the audience to feel sad for the characters too.

This is a very tragic, depressing story about "love." The thing I love about this film is how real it feels. Each character truly seems as if they could live near me, it's quite fantastic to watch. The script is brilliant, acting is phenomenal, story is tragic and real, the emotion is intense. This is a great film...not an easy film to watch with out being touched by it. I love it!
Traffic 2000,  R)
Traffic
Excellent, but I need a second viewing. Some parts were hard to follow, but a second viewing will easily clear things up. I loved it though!
The Devil Wears Prada 2006,  PG-13)
The Devil Wears Prada
I'm pretty confident that I'm one of the only guys in the world that seriously likes this film. I think it's more than just a chick-flick; it serves, also, as a film about life in general. Great performances by Meryl Streep and Anne Hathaway. Solid performances by the supporting actors Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt as well. I really love this film!
X-Men: First Class 2011,  PG-13)
X-Men: First Class
One of the better additions to the X-Men series. For once I felt for the characters, I actually cared about what happened to them and how they interacted with each other. Credit must go to the cast because their performances contributed to this, especially James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender. McAvoy gives a great performance as Professor X, and Fassbender is incredible as Magneto. (You will see Erik/Magneto in a whole new light). The film does have some flaws which are even more apparent with multiple viewings. Even so, there's much to look forward to with this prequel series (or soft-reboot rather).
Aladdin 1992,  G)
Sunset Boulevard 1950,  Unrated)
Changeling 2008,  R)
Casablanca 1943,  PG)
Casablanca
I like it but don't love it.
Psycho 1960,  R)
Hotel Rwanda 2004,  PG-13)
Howl's Moving Castle 2005,  PG)
Howl's Moving Castle
My very first Miyazaki film, and what a spectacle it was. The animation was absolutely gorgeous; there is truly nothing else like it out there. When it comes to foreign films, I always try to skip dubbed versions and just go along with subtitles; I wish I would have done the same here. At times the script was very cheesy, and I can't help but think that the Japanese to English translation attributed to that. Also, the story got very confusing, especially at the end. Overall though, I absolutely loved this film. Breathtaking and beautiful!
In the Name of the Father 1993,  R)
In the Name of the Father
A really good film! Day-Lewis is incredible as usual and Emma Thompson gives a wonderful performance despite minimal screen time....nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director!...
Dial M for Murder 1954,  PG)
Dial M for Murder
Dial M for Murder is not normally coined as one of Hitchcock's best films, but it is certainly one of his most satisfying.
Billy Elliot 2000,  R)
Billy Elliot
A really good film. I think time will be very nice to this film; I see this being a classic in the future.
Singin' in the Rain 1952,  G)
The Wizard of Oz 1939,  PG)
The Ides of March 2011,  R)
The Ides of March
I really liked this one! Gosling and Clooney are both fantastic, as usual. I could not name the last sub-par film either actor has done recently. Well written, well directed, well acted. One of the best of 2011.
From Here to Eternity 1953,  G)
From Here to Eternity
A really good film featuring two very compelling romances set in a 1941 Hawaii. Great performance from Montgomery Clift as Prewitt. Nominated for 13 Academy Awards and winner of 8 including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor (Frank Sinatra).
The Shining 1980,  R)
Vertigo 1958,  PG)
Vertigo
Great film, but I was expecting so much more. I wasn't dissappointed, just surprised by how I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Not as intense as I expected, but definitely a film for everyone to check out. The pacing is brilliant, as it seems all of Hitchcock's films are, the story is interesting and intriging, but not as mind blowing as I had heard. Maybe it's because I've seen to many new thrillers that like to spoil the ending right away and incorporate unrealistic twists. I have more Hitchcock films left to watch so hopefully my understanding of his strategy will improve.
Minority Report 2002,  PG-13)
Toy Story 2 1999,  G)
Toy Story 2
Not as good as the first. Toy Story was a huge success so Toy Story 2 had to bigger, better, and completely new. Pixar delivered. With an all new story, new characters, new locations, this sequel really adds to the trilogy. Joan Cusack as the voice of Jesse is very nice. She's so great!
Margin Call 2011,  R)
Margin Call
Brilliant film! Great cast. Fantastic screenplay. While I'm not an expert in business/economics, the dialogue in this film was engrossing and powerful. One of my favorites of 2011 and one of the best as well! I plan to watch this again soon.
The Matrix 1999,  R)
The Matrix
An amazing Sci-fi/action film. Action-packed, stylish, but also unique and intelligent. Laurence Fishburne is a badass.
Winter's Bone 2010,  R)
Winter's Bone
Great movie. Drags a little at times but overall this was really well done. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic.
Fatal Attraction 1987,  R)
Fatal Attraction
Really good film! Solid writing and directing. BRILLIANT performance from Glenn Close. The thing I loved about her performance is that it evokes so many different emotions from the viewer. As an obsessive ex-lover, she is annoying, infuriating, sick, and horrific, but at the same time she also comes across as a real human worthy of sympathy, even if only for a brief time. Nominated for 6 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actress (Glenn Close). I loved it!
Field of Dreams 1989,  PG)
50/50 2011,  R)
50/50
Honestly, I think this is one of the best drama/comedy films I have seen in a very long time. The cast is perfect and Joseph Gordon-Levitt shines.
Blue Valentine 2010,  R)
Blue Valentine
Realistic and honest, and both beautiful and tragic, Blue Valentine grips you and never lets go. Gosling and Williams give astounding performances, truly heartbreaking, devastating performances. This film is unforgettable and powerful. One of the best films of 2010!
Chicago 2002,  PG-13)
Chicago
A really good film. Still the best musical I've seen from recent years; films just aren't made like this anymore. Fantastic musical numbers and choreography. Catherine Zeta-Jones gives a phenomenal performance; she completely deserved her Oscar! Great film, but it did not deserve Best Picture!
The Piano 1993,  R)
The Piano
A good film lifted by a brilliant ending and two superb performances by Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin. Both Paquin and Hunter won Oscars for their performances. The story is unique to say the least; many will appreciate it as I did, while others will likely hate it. With that aside, The Piano is a on-of-a-kind film that cannot be missed! Nominated for 8 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, and winner of 3 including Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress.
Midnight in Paris 2011,  PG-13)
Midnight in Paris
I can't really say what I was expecting, but this was completely different than what I thought it would be; it's a good thing, too, because it was unlike anything I have ever seen before. I loved it! It really made me wonder what it would be like to live in another era and meet all those important historical figures. This was actually my first Woody Allen film, so I can't really say how this stacks up with some of his other films, but it was certainly a very good directorial effort. The cast here, featuring a lot of household names, is perfect; everyone gives fine performances. It's definitely one of my favorite things about the film. The scenery and music is good as well. I also thought the writing was extremely solid. I loved the script, and it's no surprise that it was nominated for an Oscar. Including Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture, Midnight in Paris was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. One of the best films of 2011!
Moon 2009,  R)
Moon
Great film! The critics loved it, but this film still didn't receive all it's deserved praise...how could Sam Rockwell NOT be nominated for an Oscar? He gives a stunning, Oscar caliber performance as the main character Sam Bell. Check out this film for his incredible performance. Also, the story was well thought-out, unique, and really intriging and interesting. Unlike anything I have ever seen, really. I also liked that it incorporated a few of the good elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey, like the robot, Gerty's, appearance, and the classical musical score. Excellent music by Clint Mansell. I even thought the special effects and computer generated sequences were good, especially for a low budget of only 5 million dollars. Pretty impressive!

Moon is an excellent example of a great Sci-Fi film...sorry 2001 lovers! For me, this simple yet sophisticated movie delivers in every way one can. Story, acting, emotion, music, mystery, humor, conflict, scenery, setting, there was even a little romance and a fight scene. I definitely recommend this film to everyone!
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981,  PG)
Philadelphia 1993,  PG-13)
Philadelphia
What a brave film from 1993; we sure have come a long way. Tom Hanks won his first Academy Award for this role which happens to be the best of his career...even better than his performance in Forrest Gump. I absolutely loved this film.
Before Sunrise 1995,  R)
Before Sunrise
This dialogue driven romance is close to perfection; Before Sunrise is simply the story of a tourist and a French traveler who meet on a train, talk, and fall in love. Though it is simple and nothing more than a 100 minute conversation between two strangers, it's so much more. The script is absolutely perfect, with dialogue so smart, powerful, and incredibly real. Add to that the brilliant chemistry between Hawke and Julie Delpy and you have an excellent film that completely takes you in. You fall in love with the characters and believe everything they say.
Spider-Man 2002,  PG-13)
Spider-Man
A great film! Marvel's best superhero adaptation to date. This film, like the other superhero movies, is full of the things that instantly grab an audiences attention.....action, fighting, entensity, emotion, and story. Spiderman more than delivers in those areas. This film, unlike the other films in it's genre, has a perfect cast that makes this film more than typical. With leading actors like Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco, this film has a depthness that it otherwise would have lacked. Also a strong supporting cast with actors like Rosemary Harris and J.K. Simmons also adds to the film.

This is a classic film, one of the best superhero movies ever. One of my favorites!
Elizabeth 1998,  R)
Elizabeth
A great period biopic piece...Cate Blanchett is STUNNING! She completely deserved her Oscar nomination, she may have even deserved to win, but I have yet to see Shakespeare in Love for Gwyenth Paltrow's performance. I also liked Joseph Fiennes character and performance.

I great film! A must see!
The Hurt Locker 2009,  R)
The Hurt Locker
I've seen this film four times now, and I must admit the first time I saw I wasn't a huge fan, but every time I've watched it since I've gotten more and more out of it. Stunning and amazing in many ways. A Kathryn Bigelow masterpiece.
Gattaca 1997,  PG-13)
Gattaca
Brilliant concept...
Big Fish 2003,  PG-13)
Rachel Getting Married 2008,  R)
Rachel Getting Married
A powerful family drama that's one of the best from 2008. Anne Hathaway is stunning; she completely deserved her Oscar nomination.
Fish Tank 2010,  Unrated)
Fish Tank
I stumbled across Fish Tank simply because Michael Fassbender is in it; I had never really heard much about it because it's a low-budget British indie film, and well, I'm American, so just hadn't heard anything about it. I'm glad I came across it because it's a really good little film. Extremely realistic portrayal of a troubled family, great characters, perfect pace, and excellent performances from Fassbender and Jarvis. I completely recommend this film!
Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011,  PG-13)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
A very solid first entry/prequel in this (re)rebooted franchise that sets the stage nicely for future installments. This is not a great film, but thanks to a brilliant mo-cap performance from Andy Serkis, the film possesses a very compelling human drama that allows you to sympathize for the apes. This elevates the film and makes me optimistic for what's to come later on.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 2004,  PG)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I don't think this is my favorite HP film, but it certainly is one of the best. Alfonso Cuaron's direction is what holds The Prisoner of Azkaban together There are many brilliant sequences throughout the film, but there are also some moments where I felt the jumbled plot could have ruined the film, but Cuaron's vision and direction holds it all together and makes for a wonderful viewing experience. This film lacks some of the magic that the first films had, but the performances, writing, direction, cinematography, and tone are all spot-on. Really liked it!
Iron Man 2008,  PG-13)
Iron Man
Great film! Marvel's best since Spiderman 2!

Ironman is an action packed, blockbuster movie that delivers on all levels. The special affects are beautiful and one of the best things of the film. The story is also highly engaging. Another favorite of mine.

Gwyneth Paltrow is absolutely perfect as Pepper. I love her in this film!
The Sixth Sense 1999,  PG-13)
Shrek 2001,  PG)
Shrek
Classic! One of the best non-Pixar Studio animated films, if not the best! I love it!
The Constant Gardener 2005,  R)
The Constant Gardener
The great political thriller of 2005. Rachel Wiesz is fantastic in her Oscar winning performance...I had previously thought Amy Adams deserved the award that year but Weisz is excellent here. Great script and good editing. Well-done drama, one of the best of 2005. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards, The Constant Gardener is a must see.
The Others 2001,  PG-13)
The Others
Brilliant film! I won't name the film this reminds me of because that spoil it, those that have seen this probably know the film I'm thinking of, it came out a few years before this; I like The Others more! Don't miss this, it's a must see!

Nicole Kidman gives a flawless performance! 2001 was a great year for her. She really elevates this film.
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town 1936,  Unrated)
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
What a great classic film! Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur are absolutely perfect!
Back to the Future 1985,  PG)
Back to the Future
Always entertaining no matter how many times I watch it. One of the best films of the 80s.
Twelve Monkeys (12 Monkeys) 1995,  R)
Twelve Monkeys (12 Monkeys)
Interesting to say the least...don't know what I think about it yet...
Taxi Driver 1976,  R)
Taxi Driver
Not my favorite Scorsese picture, but it's certainly a classic.
The Thin Red Line 1998,  R)
The Thin Red Line
A really good war film, one of the best actually. The battle sequences were amazing, the cast is huge with many stars, the acting is superb (especially Nolte), and the cinematography is gorgeous. My only real complaint with the film is that the philosophical elements infused throughout the film aren't as easy to understand as they were in Malick's 2011 film, The Tree of Life. The battle sequences and performances were brilliant, but I wasn't able to fully grasp the full picture, at least not in the first viewing. I also found it interesting that the film was released the same year as Saving Private Ryan. This is a great film but unfortunately it was overshadowed by the brilliant Private Ryan. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, The Thin Red Line is a must-see!
Reservoir Dogs 1992,  R)
Reservoir Dogs
Not Tarantino's best film, but a brilliant directorial debut from a director who's among the best of all time. Perfectly acted, well written, and stylish, RD is a film that cannot be missed. A lot of this film reminded me a lot of 12 Angry Men...much of the film focuses on men talking in an empty warehouse, but yet each scene was intense. Great dialogue scenes. And of course, a Tarantino film must have great quotes...

"Are you going to bark all day little doggy, or are you going to bite?"

"Why am I Mr. Pink?...Because you're a f***ing fag!!"

A great Tarantino flick that cannot be missed!
The Incredibles 2004,  PG)
Michael Clayton 2007,  R)
Michael Clayton
Very, very, very slow and hard to follow at first. But, Michael Clayton is a very good thriller. A unique thing about this film, isn't the plot, but the way it appeals as a thriller. With the minimal use of a score and action, it's thrills are driven by the acting. So many other thrillers depend on intense music and fighting, but this film depends solely upon it's brilliant cast. George Clooney, Tom Atkinson, and Tilda Swinton are fantastic in this film. Definitely worth a watch. I promise that after the slow first hour, it gets very good and intense.
White Christmas 1954,  G)
Ocean's Eleven 2001,  PG-13)
Mary and Max 2009,  G)
Mary and Max
Mary and Max is one of the most heart-felt films I have ever seen. This animated feature is smart, original, charming, but also dark, bitter, and devastating. I loved it!
The Sound of Music 1965,  G)
Superman 1978,  PG)
Rango 2011,  PG)
Rango
Great! The best animated film of 2011, hands down...
Junebug 2005,  R)
Junebug
Amy Adams is my absolute favorite actress and I'm so glad I finally saw this film. I really liked it a lot, and Adams is absolutely fantastic. She completely deserved he Oscar nomination, and if it weren't for Rachel Weisz's great performance in The Constant Gardener, she would have won Best Supporting Actress. But, her time IS coming so I can live with that! Truly one of the best films of 2005.
The Last of the Mohicans 1992,  R)
Midnight Cowboy 1969,  R)
127 Hours 2010,  R)
127 Hours
An absolutely fantastic film! A powerful, touching, and inspirational film that is truly one of a kind. Fantastically shot and brilliantly directed by Danny Boyle, this film captures what I thought could never be an intriging story. I was so wrong! This film delivers in so many ways that I never imagined. It is undoubtably worthy of all the praise it received. This film would have had zero effectiness had it not been for the Oscar nominated performance by James Franco. He brilliantly portrays the trapped Aron Ralston as he cycles through countless emotions. His talent and his maturity as an actor shines here; this performance solidifies him as one the best young actors today. The film also has great cinemtography and a brilliant musical score by A.R. Rahman.

As for the arm scene. You've probably heard of it. It's gory and disturbing both visually and sound wise. However, it's a brilliant part of the story that is essential to it's message, the scene is not bad when you think of it in light of what else is happening.

127 Hours...a brilliant, briliant film. One of the best of 2010, and truly one of a kind. I absolutely recommend it!
About a Boy 2002,  PG-13)
About a Boy
Great film! Driven by great performances and a touching story, this dark comedy delivers an emotional dramatic punch that is impossible to not fall in love with. I love this film...it falls into that drama/comedy genre that I absolutely love (Garden State, Juno, Stranger Than Fiction).

The film follows an unemployed and selfish Will Freeman, played by Hugh Grant. Through a series of tragic life events, he comes in contact with a boy, Marcus, played Nicholas Hoult. From here, Will discovers that there is so much more to life than what he exposes himself to.

I'm not a big Hugh Grant fan; I've seen many of his films and liked many them, but there's always been something about him that annoys me. Here, he gives a fantastic performance. He plays a selfish, emotionless, introvert who, at times, I hated. He's such a jerk in the film, but all the while Grant shows the character's human side, too. Toni Collette also gives a great performance as Marcus' single, depressed mother. She has many emotional scenes and adds another dramatic level to the film. Nicholas Hoult, as Marcus, gives a convincing performance too. Although she only has a small role, the addition of Rachel Weisz to the supporting cast is very nice.

Overall, I find this film to be very, very strong. It's well acted, well written, touching, sad, funny, smart, different...it really has it all. I completely love this film! I recommend it to everyone.
Arsenic and Old Lace 1944,  Unrated)
Arsenic and Old Lace
The perfect combination of dark comedy and thrills! Cary Grant is really good here.
Fantastic Mr. Fox 2009,  PG)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Great movie! Highly imaginative and creative. I loved the scenery and appearance of the whole thing. I highly recommend it.
The Lincoln Lawyer 2011,  R)
Bridesmaids 2011,  R)
Bridesmaids
Seriously a great film! Smart, quirky, memorable, and hilarious! Kristen Wiig is great, as is the entire cast.
Fargo 1996,  R)
Fargo
A great film, but I find this film to be a little overrated. I really do like it alot and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for some reason it was not as "masterful" as I was led to believe. However, the film is still a strong one, and is worthy of much praise.

The cast was brilliant. Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, and Steve Buscemi really carry this film to a new level. Buscemi gives a very memorable performance, as does Frances McDormand, but it seems like too small of a role for an actress to win in the Best Actress category. But it was a good performance nonetheless. William H. Macy was great, also. Funny, too! The accents were particularly humorous, ya.

The cinematography was brilliant. But I expect nothing less from a Coen film.

The thing that I was disappointed in was the story. First of all, it seemed too short. I felt like very little actually happened. An additional 30 minutes would have been nice. Also, the pacing was so fast and typical, that the film barely sets itself apart from any other movie. Also, the story was slightly predictable, so the moments that were meant to be intense really weren't all that intense. The intensity as whole was pretty flat. The last 20-30 minutes were great, but the whole time I just wasn't very connected to the story at all.

Anyway, I still liked the film alot, but this is now the third popular Coen Bros. film that has slightly let me down. This one is the best of the three, but I was expecting so much more. I'd still recommend it to everyone. It's good!
Melancholia 2011,  R)
Melancholia
Lars von Trier certainly makes it hard to review films...I have no idea what to give this. I really like it! Elements in this were absolutely brilliant, but it doesn't make the film any less strange. Gainsbourg gives another fantastic performance, but Kirsten Dunst shines.
Hunger 2009,  R)
Hunger
Great! This is an extremely difficult film to watch. It's so realistic to how the prisoners were probably treated. The brutality of the beatings almost makes you want to turn your head, but the scenes are so artfully portrayed that the audience is still taken in! The cinematography also influences the realism of this film. The scenery and appearance of the film is brilliant. I also love the tone of this film; it's so dark, tragic, and real. Also the performances are great all around, especially Michael Fassbender as Bobby Sands.

The thing that really holds this film back is the lack of emotion. To me, most of the film was flat emotion wise. The story and tone were both deep and very strong, but when there's no emotion, the whole film cannot soar. It's sad that the characters weren't developed more because this film could have been monumental, but instead it's only great.

However there are one scene that I absolutely loved. The scene with prisoners being beaten on one side of the screen and a guard crying on the other side, is a brilliant shot. A beautiful scene. Had this film been as emotional and touching as that scene, this film could have been something special!

I still think this is a movie everyone should check out. It's very good! I recommend it to everyone!
Brick 2006,  R)
Brick
Unbelievably believable...
The Fugitive 1993,  PG-13)
The Fugitive
Really good film. BUT, I personally feel like this movie will go down as one of the most over-rated Oscar films of all time. While the film is incredibly intense, it's also terribly average...I have a hard time believing it deserved a Best Picture nomination. I also can't believe Tommy Lee Jones won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Good performance, but not Oscar-worthy in my honest opinion.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments