My Most Anticipated Movies of 2013

1. douglasmarksberry
  2. Trey

My personal list of movies I'm most anticipating in 2013.

Page Views
Comments
  douglasmarksberry's Rating My Rating
Star Trek Into Darkness 2013,  PG-13)
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 2013,  PG-13)
The Place Beyond The Pines 2013,  R)
Man of Steel 2013,  PG-13)
Kick-Ass 2 2013,  R)
Pacific Rim 2013,  PG-13)
Evil Dead 2013,  R)
Evil Dead
Everyone knows that "Evil Dead" is the remake to Sam Raimi's 1981 cult classic "The Evil Dead", so there is no need to go into detail about that. My expectations going into this film were that it was hopefully going to be terrifying and brutal. I was hoping to come out of the film having been scared shitless and freaked out. I mean the movie holds the slogan "The most terrifying film you will ever experience". So expectations were no doubt high.

This 2013 remake is mega violent. I mean MEGA violent. From shooting nails into faces, to vertically sliced hands, to arms being ripped off, this film is not for people with weak stomachs. And the violence is the first positive to this movie. This film does a great job of bringing back the excessive gore that made the original so squeamish. The types of violence that occur in some parts of this film are very disturbingly creative and will take many people by surprise. Fede Alvarez does a great job of making this film an absolute blood bath.

Another positive of mine was the setting. I loved the remakes choice of scenery when it came to the old famous cabin in the woods. Great visuals. And great visuals for the violence as well. What makes some scenes so tough to watch is how gritty and raw the violence could be.

This movie has its positives, but it also has its negatives. What bothered me the most about this film is that it wasn't scary. It really wasn't. At all actually. There was never a time when I was thinking "Holy crap whats gonna happen?" It was quite obvious what would usually happen and there was nothing in particular that was 'terrifying'. Every once in a while there would be a sort of jump out scare and that was the only thing scared-wise that would get a reaction out of me.

Next was the humor. As stated in RT's summary, it lacks the absurd humor of the original. But it was quite obvious that Fede Alvarez TRIED to put the humor into the movie. But all his humor attempt translated into was terribly dumb decisions made by the characters in the movie. My own personal analyzing of the humor was that you were supposed to think it was funny when one of the characters made a bad decision; for example help one of the characters even after they have tried to kill every single person in the house. And it wasn't funny. It was annoying. The only humor came out of Mia while she was possessed and would say a ton of really raunchy things.

After taking some time to think about it, this is my overall thoughts on the film: The film is no doubt one of the better horror movies in recent years. This is no haunted house scare, but more of a brutal scare. Don't expect to jump, expect to squeal. Fede Alvarez does a very good job of remaking the cult classic, and I give him props. Did the movie reach my expectations? No, sadly no. But this film is still definitely worth the watch and probably won't be a film you forget. "Evil Dead" is a bloody good time from start to finish despite any flaws.
Thor: The Dark World 2013,  PG-13)
Fast & Furious 6 2013,  PG-13)
The Wolverine 2013,  PG-13)
Iron Man 3 2013,  PG-13)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments