My Favourite To Least Favourite Movies Of 2013 So Far

1. ShadowNightWolf
  2. Bryan

Updated every time I see a movie from 2013.

Page Views
Comments
  ShadowNightWolf's Rating My Rating
The Conjuring 2013,  R)
The Conjuring
James Wan adds another impressive film to a great body of work. The film is quite intense, with scares that comes across effectively without having to resort to gore. Besides this, the characters and storyline are great. The film also has a strong 70's haunted house film vibe that gives fans of Amityville Horror a wave of nostaliga. Has impressive camera work as well.
Why Don't You Play in Hell? 2014,  Unrated)
Why Don't You Play in Hell?
Crazy, over the top, hilarious and amazing.
The Wolf of Wall Street 2013,  R)
Evil Dead 2013,  R)
Evil Dead
Groovy! Very Fucking Groovy!
The Place Beyond The Pines 2013,  R)
Prisoners 2013,  R)
Prisoners
A grim, intense and haunting thriller. With excellent performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal
Her 2013,  R)
Now You See Me 2013,  PG-13)
Now You See Me
Surprisingly a very entertaining film. It uses a great cast of Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson (working with their chemistry created on Zombieland) as well as Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. A film to pay attention to as it has many tricks up it's sleeve.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 2013,  PG-13)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Surpasses the original. The acting, camera work, story line and soundtrack is far superior. Finally starting to become a worthy series.
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 2013,  PG-13)
The Hunt 2013,  R)
Blue Is The Warmest Color 2013,  NC-17)
V/H/S/2 2013,  R)
V/H/S/2
V/H/S/2 surpasses the original. More entertaining and less hit and miss like the original.
The Last Stand 2013,  R)
The Last Stand
A bit uneven, but wildly entertaining and action packed. Arnold is great, Johnny Knoxville is kind of annoying and Forest Whitaker acting way too good, feels like he's in an entirely different movie. Main point of the film is to have a great time, and that I did.
Maniac 2013,  Unrated)
Maniac
Elijah Wood gives quite a terrifying performance as a psychopathic killer. The film is shot stylishly and majority of it from the point of view of the killer which is quite effective.
The Lords of Salem 2013,  R)
The Lords of Salem
The Lords of Salem is a very atmospheric horror film with a Kubrick-esque tone. It's a strong turn for Rob Zombie who usually delivers very gory and sex filled horror films. This film relies on mood and it's imagery. The cast is great as well. The only major problem is that it borrows too heavily from Rosemary's Baby in terms of plot.
Frozen 2013,  PG)
Gravity 2013,  PG-13)
Gravity
Gravity is a stunning visual achievement. Storyline and characters, not so much. I found the film not as intense or emotionally engaging as Ron Howard's Apollo 13.
Iron Man 3 2013,  PG-13)
Iron Man 3
Robert Downey Jr. is amazing as usual. But the plot and the villain are forgettable.
Kick-Ass 2 2013,  R)
Oblivion 2013,  PG-13)
The Lone Ranger 2013,  PG-13)
The Lone Ranger
Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer make a great duo in this film. The only problem with this movie is that it is overly long and the script could have been tighter. Not as bad as critics are saying.
Fast & Furious 6 2013,  PG-13)
Fast & Furious 6
Mindless entertainment, but good mindless entertainment
Escape Plan 2013,  R)
Curse of Chucky 2013,  R)
Curse of Chucky
A return to form for Chucky. With some awesome twist and turns along the way!
Gangster Squad 2013,  R)
Mama 2013,  PG-13)
Mama
Decent horror film with some elements of a dark fairy tale. The ending is a bit ballsy and will split it's audience.
Bullet to the Head 2013,  R)
Warm Bodies 2013,  PG-13)
Insidious: Chapter 2 2013,  PG-13)
Insidious: Chapter 2
The original Insidious was my favourite film of 2011. The Conjuring will more than likely be my favourite film of 2013. Both of these films are amazing James Wan horror films, which I think is one of the best new horror film director's out there. Insidious: Chapter 2 is unfortunately a step back for James Wan. The positives of this film is that Patrick Wilson is amazing in this film, he's able to act in quite a terrifying manner. I also enjoyed how the film worked as a prequel, a sequel and a connection in the original film. Leigh Whannell and James Wan are starting to create a mythology to this series. Problem is, is that this film focuses more on that aspect. There are few too little scares compared to the first movie and the instances of humor is not as fresh. The film also has strong nods to The Shinning and Sleepaway Camp, which didn't seem to bother me as much surprisingly. Overall a decent film, but wanted more.
12 Years a Slave 2013,  R)
This Is the End 2013,  R)
This Is the End
It has dark and gory elements that I would enjoy more so in a comedy. But with a lack of me caring about the actors, it's very hit and miss for me. People who appreciate the actors and comedy films in general will enjoy this film more.
Homefront 2013,  R)
Phil Spector 2013,  Unrated)
We Are What We Are 2013,  R)
We Are What We Are
A slight disappointment
World War Z 2013,  PG-13)
World War Z
World War Z has a few good action scenes and some moments of suspense. But has problems with character development, has no gore and a half assed ending. I was surprised that people actually applauded for this films when the credits started to roll.
Machete Kills 2013,  R)
Dark Skies 2013,  PG-13)
Dark Skies
It has some eerie moments and has a great cameo from J.K. Simmons. But it does nothing new for the alien horror genre and relies too heavily on the story structure of Insidious and Poltergeist.
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 2013,  R)
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
I don't know how this film got made, but it falls under the category of it's so bad it's good.
Snitch 2013,  PG-13)
Texas Chainsaw 2013,  R)
Texas Chainsaw
Ridiculous, but has some fun. Leatherface becomes a anti hero.
Escape From Tomorrow 2013,  Unrated)
Escape From Tomorrow
It has a good concept and it still unbelievable how the filmmakers got away with it. But the film is incredibly mediocre.
Oz the Great and Powerful 2013,  PG)
Oz the Great and Powerful
Meh.
Carrie 2013,  R)
Carrie
A major disappointment. I'm a huge fan of the 1976 original and was skeptical once a remake was announced. I became hyped when Chloe Grace Moretz was cast as Carrie (Her performance in Let Me In blew me away) and all of the great advertisement created for the movie. In the end, what we get is an uninspired mess. Instead of trying to be a closer adaptation of Stephen King's novel, it tries to recreate the original 1976 film without Brian DePalma's directorial style. In DePalma's original there were creative camera angles, choices of split screen and an amazing score and soundscape (especially during the prom scene). The remake has virtually no style with bland camera angles and nothing interesting coming from the camera or sound department. The remake has little to no suspense. The pivotal point of the story, which is the prom scene is very unimpressive in the remake. The only thing that is positive about this movie is the two leads Chloe and Julianne Moore who try their best with the material that they are given. The rest of the cast is forgettable.
You're Next 2013,  R)
You're Next
Terrible. I'm shocked that critics are really digging this film. The film is so joyless with unlikable characters and a barely functioning plot. The dark humor didn't fully work for me and only one death scene was interesting. A disappointment.
Parker 2013,  R)
The Purge 2013,  R)
The Purge
Fucking Terrible. It had such a great premise and it's wasted on terrible characters and uninteresting kills with a lack of gore.
The Last Exorcism Part II 2013,  PG-13)
The Last Exorcism Part II
Another dreadful exorcism film to add to the pile. The first Last Exorcism film though flawed had it's moments. This has nothing. The Devil Inside (which features the worst ending in the history of horror films) at least was a film on exorcism. This doesn't even try to have a scene of one. The ending also brinks on self parody.
Only God Forgives 2013,  R)
Only God Forgives
Artsy trash. A film about nothing. The cinematography is beautiful, but the film has a barely functioning plot with little to no character development. A waste of 89 minutes.
R100 2014,  Unrated)
R100
Fucking Awful. The whole movie is a joke. Knocking off other films like Monty Python and Blazing Saddles as in what you are watching isn't really happening. But at least in those movies the joke built around the film was enjoyable, R100 isn't. The movie is slow and unfunny. It tries to make up for everything by becoming batshit crazy in the last twenty minutes, but by this point I didn't care anymore. I'm quite sure I'm missing the point, but I didn't enjoy the ride.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments