close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

My favorites so far for Oscars 2013

Page Views
Comments
  millotpue's Rating My Rating
Les MisÚrables 2012,  PG-13)
Les MisÚrables
Hooper creates a mix of opera and musical although, despite the good scenography, he employs the camera to close shots to underline what can not be done in a musical. Although a little strange because there is no pause in the singing, the product works quite well (not as well as the story itself from Hugo, which is one of my favorites), specially by the great work of some actors, specially Jackman, Barks, and, over all, a great Hathaway with a incredible interpretation of "I dreamt a dream" (astounding). Music, of course, is amazing, songs are addictive, and such good characters as Gavroche give a note of color. The main "but": Russell Crow was a very weak Javert. The movie itself is a 3.5, but I add half an additional star because all the details I have mentioned above.
Life of Pi 2012,  PG)
Life of Pi
The same way that the original novel was an exercise of literary lyrism, the movie is a perfect example of visual lyrism. First, becomes it preserves the spirit of the original book, including the magic realism and the delightful first part talking about the childhood of a boy in India. Second, because Ang Lee employs his visual resources to show us the wonders of nature in a wonderful scenario. Although the book continues being better, and of course there are things which are not mentioned or slightly change, in general, it is a good adaptation.
Cloud Atlas 2012,  R)
Silver Linings Playbook 2012,  R)
Silver Linings Playbook
Very good movie. Funny, original, surprising, and with good chemistry among the interpreters (leading and supporting), which make a good work. The end is maybe too stereotypical, but, OK, you can not have everything. Close to 3.5
Argo 2012,  R)
Argo
Close to 3.5. Good direction and settings, but, is that enough to deserve the Oscar? Who knows.
Skyfall 2012,  PG-13)
Skyfall
Probably, it is the best James Bond movie I have ever seen. It is clear that Sam Mendes is directing: the use of photography, the remindings to old aspects of the saga, the intimistic tone sometimes. Mendes combines classic and new elements, underlines interesting aspects, and presents us a good threaten and a very good villain by Javier Bardem. Maybe, in some moments, the combination of intimacy and spectacularity is difficult to carry out properly, and some things look "out of the place", or introduced just to make the plan in the director's head go on. And, after all, it is an action movie, but it deserves some acknowledgement. Anyway, an interesting movie.
No 2013,  R)
Moonrise Kingdom 2012,  PG-13)
Amour 2012,  PG-13)
Amour
This is probably the first Haneke movie I can achieve the end not being disgusted with him (although the slow pace does not make easy to finish the movie). Some people could say that there is not much interest in telling something that we all know that happens, or that Haneke has played a little "tricky" in talking about something that affects everybody, so it can be easily acclaimed by people and critics. But I think that, contrary to other Haneke movies, love and tenderness are present here, as well as finding beauty on little things or even difficult to understand things, and also tries to avoid the most terrible scenes but at the same time make us thrill, being restrained but expressive, showing all the worryings as an act of love, to which their actors contribute.
Beasts of the Southern Wild 2012,  PG-13)
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Between 2.5 and 3. Strange but curious movies. It shows a kind of community with a life quite different to the one we are used to see. Others will talk about beauty and allegories, and about the main actress work, and everything is good to be spoken about.
The Sessions 2012,  R)
The Sessions
Between 2.5 and 3. Not exceptional, but entertaining.
Brave 2012,  PG)
Brave
Between 2.5 and 3. Not bad but I expected much more. They promised us (spoiler) a warrior princess, and it is more the classic "poor little princess" (end of spoiler). Having such a good environment as they had, and coming from the first feminine character from Pixar, I think they had the opportunity to get a better material. Although funny, after all, and with some impressive moments.
Lincoln 2012,  PG-13)
Lincoln
The movie is boring (2 stars) most of the time: the characters are good, and the stories which are told are interesting, but not the way to tell them. This is a fail for Spielberg as a director. 2.5 stars is being too generous, but actings and some particular aspects can make us feel that way. The effort of Day-Lewis is not enough to create a good story.
ParaNorman 2012,  PG)
The Master 2012,  R)
Zero Dark Thirty 2013,  R)
Zero Dark Thirty
I do not want to enter if this film justifies torture, I think it is more documentary than any other thing. But, if it lies about the product of interrogatories, as some people say, I should take a star off, as minimum.
Django Unchained 2012,  R)
Django Unchained
Everything started perfect: Christoph Waltz was a wonderful character, funny, interesting. The plot was intelligent, entertaining, and looked attractive, even not as violent as other Tarantino movies (or, at least, a little more subtle). Then, the story became artificial and weak just to go by a long, boring pathway which seemed to go nowhere. And then, when the cards get over the table, some stupid and nonsense things start to happen just to justify that (as always), Tarantino made a long boring period before an orgy of destruction. I mean, I do not hope that every point of a plot is absolutely realistic, but in this case, it is so obvious you can not lie yourself. From that moment, movie becomes stupid, absurd and you see you have been waiting for nothing (this last part is 1.5 stars for me, but the beginning and Waltz save the day a little bit). Please, Tarantino, stop making the plots of your movies: hire a script writer. (P.S. The character of Di Caprio is much weaker than I expected).
The Invisible War 2012,  Unrated)
The Invisible War
A story which had to be told.
Anna Karenina 2012,  R)
Anna Karenina
I started to watch it, but...
Kon Tiki 2013,  PG-13)
Wreck-it Ralph 2012,  PG)
Wreck-it Ralph
Although with good things, I do not like when animation movies become too much for adults or too much cynical. And this is an increasing risk in animation movies -and also in Pixar. Future kids are going to grow into post-modern adults before they come into teenagers.
The Gatekeepers 2013,  PG-13)
5 Broken Cameras 2012,  Unrated)
Searching for Sugar Man 2012,  PG-13)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments