100 must see movies from 1970-2012

Page Views
Comments
  RobinWe1's Rating My Rating
Blade Runner (The Final Cut) 1982,  R)
The Shining 1980,  R)
Fargo 1996,  R)
Fargo
A perfect murder story, it succeds with being funny but at the same time thrilling, the story moves forward in a slow and comftorable pace which captivates and builds suspense throughout the movie.
A Clockwork Orange 1971,  R)
A Clockwork Orange
This odd dystopian masterpiece by Stanley Kubrick really captures the viewers attention at once with the opening milk bar scene. It then proceeds with a mind-blowing silhouette shot and continues on with twenty minutes of intense "ultraviolence". Basically everything in this film is flawless Malcolm McDowell´s brilliant acting, the insane plot, the astonishing surroundings. Another genius idea was using the "Nadsat" slang from the novel which is done in perfect quantity and really adds to the tone of the film. A must see movie for every cinephile.
The Deer Hunter 1978,  R)
The Deer Hunter
Depicts three friends and their smalltown lives as well as their different fates when going of to fight in vietnam. The movie is a brilliantly horrifiyng depiction of war and the russian roulette scene in the middle is easily one of the best scenes in cinematic history.
The Godfather 1972,  R)
The Godfather, Part II 1974,  R)
The Silence of the Lambs 1991,  R)
Life Is Beautiful (La Vita è bella) 1997,  PG-13)
Life Is Beautiful (La Vita è bella)
Life Is Beautiful takes a very different and original approach compared to other holocaust films, it's a comedy-drama film about a Jewish-Italian man named Guido Orefice. In the first part of the film Guido is trying to open a bookstore in Italy and at the same time he's trying to win the heart of a local schoolteacher named Dora, this all takes place during the expansion of fascism in Italy. The latter half of the film is about Guido using his young sons vivid imagination to shield him from the horrors of the holocaust, something he accomplishes by telling him some of the most absurd lies you could possibly imagine.

Roberto Benigni is the co-writer, director and lead actor of this film and the part of the charismatic Guido, with one of the biggest personalities I can remember seeing on a film, is so perfect for Benigni that I don't think any other actor could have played the role well. This is a very subtle offbeat comedy, but it still has its share of hysterically fun moments. It did get some criticism for trivializing the holocaust by not directly showing any of the atrocities committed by the Nazi's, but I think that those critics has quite obviously missed Benignis point and reason for not showing such events. Since most people watching this will already have a pretty clear picture of what went on in the concentration camps Benigni is able to give the audience two perspectives, the adult perspective that knows exactly what's going on and the child's perspective, which is Guido's sons point of view. This is by far the most unconventional, poetic and inspiring holocaust film and definitely two hours well-spent.
Pi 1998,  R)
Pi
Extreme complexity and simplicity both put to use in the same film, Darren Aronofsky's "Pi" is eerie, forceful and incredibly grasping. The film depicts mathematician Maximillian Cohen's descent into madness during his project to find a pattern in the stock market and as his work progresses so does his paranoia, anxiety and hallucinations. Max soon starts to see parallels between his own work, his mentor Sol's work with the irrational constant pi and religious number theorist Lenny Meyer's work which is an attempt to find a 216-digit code in the Torah. Because of Max's condition I was always in a state where I didn't know what was real and what was only part of Max's delusions, making this surreal psychological thriller all the more suspenseful and brilliant.

Lead actor and co-writer of the film, Sean Gullette, is extraordinary as Max Cohen, skillfully playing the odd and eccentric character more vividly than most other actors would be capable of doing. Otherwise the film uses a small, but solid supporting cast with memorable performances from Mark Margolis as Sol and Ben Shenkman as Lenny Meyer. The plot is delightfully complex and very thin on dialog at times, but instead Max's recorded research logs and inner monologue is utilized as part of the narrative. The visual elements on the other hand has been kept simplistic using high-contrast black and white, this is one of those stylistic independent films everyone should give a chance.
Apocalypse Now 1979,  R)
Reservoir Dogs 1992,  R)
American Psycho 2000,  R)
Platoon 1986,  R)
Platoon
Oliver Stone has gathered a variety of great actors for this very gruesome and genius portrayal of the vietnam war. This film goes deeper than most vietnam films in terms of showing the emotional and psycological strain the war had on the soldiers and it also shows the horrible acts man is capable of carrying out as an result of this strain.
Throughout the movie Chris Taylor played by Charlie Sheen brilliantly narrates the film by letters to his grandmother and thereby informs the viewer of his emotional state. Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe all makes an outstanding performance, to see Willem Dafoe do both emotional acting and some Rambo-like scenes is very entertaining. Because of the brilliant acting, along with some amazing cinematography and a important message that has been all but forgotten "The Platoon" is one of the four films about the vietnam war everyone should see.
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 1977,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 1983,  PG)
The Killing Fields 1984,  R)
The Killing Fields
A dramatisation of American journalist Sydney Schanberg and Cambodian journalist Dith Prans experiences during the escalation of the Cambodian civil war. The Killing Fields is an incredible and emotional film that focuses both on the friendship between Schanberg and Pran as well as the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge and the irresponsible handling of the crisis by the American government.

The film is violent and very effectively graphic which I feel it needs to be given the subject matter. The soundtrack is very mixed and utilized to its full potential, with some powerful orchestral scores and at times some eerie futuristic scores. The film also does something very unconventional, which is to change from Scanberg to Pran's point of view halfway through the film, but it works out perfectly and it's the second half about Pran that is the better part of the film. The latter half is very thin on dialog and gives Cambodian doctor Haing S Ngor a chance to shine which he does and his performance is so spectacular that it won him an Oscar for his first role ever, as Dith Pran. This is a film that portrays historically important events more vividly than any history book ever could.
Dog Day Afternoon 1975,  R)
Dog Day Afternoon
A young Al Pacino delivers an extremely dynamic, intense and yet credible performance which is one of his absolute best. This very engaging hostage situation story takes some real twists and turns along the way, it focuses primarily on the hostage-takers played by Al Pacino and John Cazale, and the story is loosely based on real events.
The film has some portrayal of group behavior in the crowd and stockholm sydrome among the hostages, that feels both realistic and in a unique sort of way even comical.
A suspenseful and calmly paced crime drama film worthy of great recognition.
Monty Python's Life of Brian 1979,  R)
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Takes place in first century Judea and depicts the life of Brian who is born on the same day as jesus in a manger next door. As an adult Brian decides to join a resistance group called The People´s Front of Judea to finally put an end to Roman occupation. The film uses some imaginative cinematography and rich scenery to recreate new testament era Judea, also does a good job to fill up its runtime with lots of hilariously ridiculous scenes, for example a scene where Brian is painting propagandic graffiti and gets grammar correction from a Roman soldier. The People´s Front of Judea and some brilliant irony makes a perfect combo to make fun of Left-wing revolutionary groups and loads of razor-sharp satire is used to deliver hard-hitting comical blows at religion.
Reds 1981,  PG)
Reds
A bold move by Warren Beatty, to direct and star in a biopic on one of Americas most famous communists John Reed, but the result is a great drama film that won three Oscars. The film depicts Reed's political quest to start a worker's union, his involvement in the Bolshevik revolution and his romance with strong-willed Louise Bryant played by Diane Keaton. This film is filled with incredible acting from Warren Beatty also from Jack Nicholson as Nobel prize-winning playwright Eugene O'Neill and Mauren Stapleton as political activist Emma Goldman, Diane Keatons performance is great as well, but in a few particular scenes I thought her acting was a little stale. All of the actors mentioned above got nominated for Oscars and Mauren Stapleton won in her category, so that gives a small clue as to how good the acting in this film is. This is a true epic with a run time of three hours fifteen minutes, but the story is easily interesting and grasping enough to handle it.
Schindler's List 1993,  R)
Mean Streets 1973,  R)
Pulp Fiction 1994,  R)
Taxi Driver 1976,  R)
Taxi Driver
A story about a former marine working nightshifts as a taxi-driver while at the same time sliding deeper and deeper into insomnia, alienation and insanity.
Martin Scorcese's masterpiece is captivatin, it's insane and De niro's performance makes Travis Bickle one of the most realistic and creepy characters ever to be shown in a movie.
Ed Wood 1994,  R)
Ed Wood
Leave it to Tim Burton to make a tribute to the art of filmmaking through a biopic on a person who is generally considered one of the worst directors to ever make films, Ed Wood. The fifties sci-fi and horror film director who basically have been called everything from the most incompetent filmmaker of all time to an oblivious avant-gardist and misunderstood poet. The story starts with Edward D. Wood Jr as a struggling young screenwriter and director who is having trouble to find a studio willing to finance his first picture, when a film about the controversial topic of sex change comes to his attention. Ed desperately tries to convince the producer that he is the best man for the job on the grounds that he's a cross-dresser, but is rejected. Later that same day Ed has a run in and forms a friendship with the out of work acting legend, Bela Lugosi, a former horror-star with a severe morphine addiction. He returns to the studio and offers to get them Lugosi for their sex change film if he's allowed to direct and filming of the first, Edward Wood Jr, film Glen or Glenda begins.

Ed Wood is a very rare film in many ways and not the average type of character study. It only depicts the rise, if you might call it that and not really any fall or many downs. Ed wood as a character is dealt with in a very comedic and lighthearted fashion making it the ultimate feel-good film. The fascinating friendship between Ed and Lugosi take as big a part of the story as the career of Ed and the two characters are brought to life through incredible performances from Johnny Depp and Martin Landau. The supporting cast is a solid bunch consisting of Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, George Steele, Max Casella, Brent Hinkley and Bill Murray. Costuming and makeup are both perfectly done to resemble the fifties and the film is shot in very atmospheric black and white intended to mirror Ed Wood's own films. Tim Burton probably decided to direct this film out of true admiration for the cult-filmmakers passion and loyalty to his vision, which really sets the tone for the entire film and sends the message that even the most popular filmmakers today have something to learn from this small time director of cheap b-movies.
Natural Born Killers 1994,  R)
Natural Born Killers
I decided to rewrite my review and even give Natural Born Killers a higher score because I've seen it twice since i wrote the former and it's truly a film that grew on me after the first viewing, although it was good the first time around. The film is jam-packed with subtle symbolism and messages, but at the same time a lot of the satire is very aggressive and in your face. The story is about two young individuals named Mickey and Mallory who fall in love at first sight and decides to go on a roadtrip and killing spree after murdering Mallory's abusive father and her mother. During their murdering mayhem they are covered heavily in the media especially by a shallow and overly dedicated reporter named Wayne Gale.

Oliver Stone is a genius filmmaker with many great films on his resumé and this media satire about the glorification of violence and exploitation of serial killers for the sake of profits, is one of his absolute best. My opinion is that this film was massively underrated by critics, and it was also accused of becoming what it criticized. I don't think that the film satirizes violence in movies, but rather exploitation of real violence especially in true crime shows and it's of course impossible to satirize something without actually depicting it. The Screenplay was originally written by Quentin Tarantino, but heavily revised by David Veloz and Oliver Stone after Quentin decided to sell it. The original would have focused on Wayne Gale and made Mickey and Mallory supporting characters, Stone on the other hand decided to take another approach and as much as I like, Tarantino's work, I do think that Stone's approach to the story and his visual style serves the film well, but who is to say if Tarantino's version would have been better.

The visual style used in this film is hard to explain with words. Almost every scene is accompanied by some video-clip playing in the background and quick cutaways of cryptic imagery are used frequently as well as switches between color and black-and-white, with the occasional animated sequence. When editing Natural Born Killers almost 3000 cuts were used, but while some might call it messy I think that it's masterfully edited. Stone also decided not to go light on the peculiarity when it came to telling the story and tried out some boldly inventive ideas as one of the earlier scenes which presents Mallory's relationship with her sexually abusive father in the form of a sitcom with a live audience, perhaps commenting on the human tendency to ignore serious social problems when being able to laugh at them. The film is cynical in a lot of ways like that, but much of the meaning and messages are either very cryptic or ambiguous, for example it's highly suggested that their upbringing and attempted escape from reality have made Mickey and Mallory numb towards violence and completely insane, but it's also implied more than once that at least Mickey is possessed by some form of demon or satanic power.

The soundtrack of the film is absolutely spectacular and very varied with some Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, L7 and The Specials among others, what is especially brilliant is the fact that a lot of the songs fit into the films story both in terms of tone, which is standard, but also in terms of the lyrics having relevance to the plot, which is a lot harder to accomplish. The cast gives flawless performances and have Woody Harrelson as a haunting presence in the role of disturbingly calm and psychotic serial-killer, Mickey Knox. The much more intense, energetic and obviously insane Mallory Knox is played by Juliette Lewis. Most of the comedic moments come from the journalist character, Wayne Gale, played by Robert Downey Jr who is easily the most memorable character in the film and used perfectly as a satire on the media. There's also a performance from Tom Sizemore as the obsessive and downright insane police inspector, Jack Scagnetti and a smaller, but still iconic performance from, Tommy Lee Jones. I do think that this film will be looked on kindlier by future critics and that it is a perfect example for how the audience is sometimes a lot less bias than the critics since this film really is one of the most underestimated films of the 90s.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2001,  PG-13)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
This martial arts film directed by Ang Lee brought back the Wuxia film genre to the west. The film is a tale of good against evil with a flashback story about forbidden love as a backdrop and it's set in China during the Qing Dynasty. A martial arts master named Li Mu Bai, member of a clan called the Wudang gives his legendary sword Green Destiny to his long time friend Sir Te as a gift, but trouble soon arise as the sword is stolen by a mysterious and talented young fighter, and Li Mu Bai's mortal enemy Jade Fox, former member of Wudang and the murderer of Li Mu Bai's master appears to be involved as well. This forces Li Mu Bai to postpone his plans to retire and begin a new life with his love interest Yui Hsui Lien and sends them both on a quest to retrieve the sword, kill Jade Fox, and to save the talented young fighter from the path she is on.

An astounding action-packed adventure with incredibly well-choreographed fighting scenes and visually amazing special-effects that haven't been masqueraded to look real, but rather to look superhuman, adding to the mythological tone of the film. The cast is great consisting of Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Chang Chen and Cheng Pei-Pei, but the person that really stands out is Zhang Ziyi, who is strikingly remarkable in her role as Jen. The main-plot and Jen's forbidden love-story are both interesting and equally important to the film and storyline as a whole. Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a film well-suited for both fans and non-fans of martial art films.
Full Metal Jacket 1987,  R)
Requiem for a Dream 2000,  R)
Gandhi 1982,  PG)
The Day of the Jackal 1973,  PG)
The Day of the Jackal
"The Day of The Jackal" is a slowly paced, but exceptionally suspenseful political thriller about a conspiracy to assassinate the French President Charles De Gaulle. The story is based on the novel with the same name, which has integrated a lot of real French history into the fictional story, for example the OAS and their true intent to murder De Gaulle, this adds a lot of credibility to the plot. Edward Fox does an outstanding job playing the ice-cold professional killer known as The Jackal and so does Michel Lonsdale who plays investigator Lebel, my only complaint is that that to little screen-time is spent familiarising the viewer with this character. The film is essentially a cat and mouse chase between the two in which The Jackal always seems to be one step ahead. A classic film that I would strongly recommend for all fans of thrillers.
Cidade de Deus (City of God) 2002,  R)
Ink 2009,  Unrated)
Ink
The film Ink is one of those independently made jewels that doesn't come around very often and it's a film that I urge everyone to give a try. I will start of by correcting RT which lists the runtime as 25 minutes, in fact it's 1 hour and 46 minutes long. It might be a bit hard to locate a copy of the film, but director Jamin Winans, who also owns the production company that made Ink once stated that he embraces piracy since Ink reached a much bigger audience after it was uploaded on torrent-sites and as a result dvd-sales increased significantly. So I guess that downloading the film shouldn't be any problem.

Ink was made on a small budget (250.000$), but with that said I don't think of it as, just great considering the budget restrictions. I think it's a great film that doesn't suffer because of the budget restrictions and a film that can trump even the biggest productions. The plot is incredibly complex and thought-provoking. At night when we sleep, individuals called Storytellers enter our dimension to give us our good dreams. On this particular night at the beginning of the film a shadowy figure also enters our realm and abducts a young girl named, Emma, viciously battering the Storytellers in the process. The shadowy figure known as Ink manages to bring Emma into another dimension which leaves her physical body in a comatose state. Allel, the story-teller responsible for Emma must now enlist the help of a wise blind man ironically named, Jacob the Pathfinder, and find a way to bring Emma's consciousness back to the physical world before Ink delivers her to, the Incubi, beings who are responsible for our nightmares.

This is a film that doesn't fit neatly into just one genre. With elements both in the story and the visuals that would categorize it as fantasy, some theoretical physic concepts such as multiple dimensions and non-linear time that I would attribute to science-fiction and some uniquely shot fight scenes that looks like revamped and modernized Wuxia film scenes. The film is thought-provoking in the way it builds up the plot and carefully keeps the viewer trying to figure out the solution to this extremely complex mystery for almost the entire duration of the film. Another way in which the film is thought-provoking is some philosophical statements about shallowness and happiness that it makes. The small cast consists of almost completely unknown actors and features Chris Kelly, Quinn Hunchar, Jessica Duffy, Jeremy Make, Jennifer Bater, Eme Ikwuakor and Shelby Malone. Although the acting is not always great, Quinn Hunchar, who plays Emma is one of the better child actors I've seen and Jeremy Make as Jacob the Pathfinder is a hilarious source of humor for the film and an iconic character. The inevitable climax of the story makes for one of the most action-packed and emotionally powerful movie endings that I've seen so far.
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut 1999,  R)
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut contains edgy humor and genius satire that combined results in one great musical cartoon comedy film. When a whole generation turns foul-mouthed by a foreign-film, parents are quick to assign blame and war breaks out. As a political and satirical film South Park manages to get it´s message across incredibly well, Trey parker and Matt Stone has truly made a motion picture equal to their tv-series.
Oldboy 2004,  R)
Oldboy
Since the remake/readaption was recently released i finally remembered to write a review for the sinister and twisted film that is Park Chan-wook's Oldboy. There's really not that much I can say about the plot without spoiling it except that it's about a man named, Oh Dae-Su (Min-Sik Choi) who gets kidnapped of the streets during a drunken craze and is then kept locked up in a room for 15 years only to be released, hungry for revenge. As the story progresses it becomes clear that Oh Dae-Su wasn't chosen at random and that if he's to find the person responsible he has to look deep into his past.

As sinister as the film might be, it's also a mesmerizing tale of poetic justice filled with a lot of twists and turns along the way. Neither the protagonist nor the antagonist in the film are purely good or purely evil, but rather obsessed and the result of odd, traumatic experiences in their lives. Very few films are able to have such a disturbed and violent protagonist without me losing sympathy for him, but to not feel sympathetic for Oh Dae-Sue is basically impossible as this mystery unfurls. The actor trio in this film is simply incredible, Min-sik Choi's plays the tormented Oh Dae-Su, Gang Hye-jeong plays the sympathetic Mido and Ji-tae Yu plays the nefarious Lee Woo-Jin. It's not often that a director uses such innovative camerawork as Park Chan-wook does here and I especially liked the camerawork used in the fighting scenes, which is strikingly brilliant. I'm actually a little surprised that the mpaa rated this R and not NC-17 seeing how graphic, gory and perverse it is, but nice to see that they are being open-minded for once. To sum up the film in one sentence, Oldboy could basically be described as a psychotic puzzle with a motif that changes every time you add a piece.
The Crow 1994,  R)
The Crow
Director Alex Proyas takes on the filmatisation of James O´barr´s graphic novel The Crow.With Brandon Lee Making an astonishing and unfortunately last performance this gothic melancholical film succeds with being original inspite of the cliché revenge fantasy and the fast moving story.Not many directors pull off making a movie with almost pitch-black surroundings but in this case it only adds to the dark tone of the film. After watching this you will also have a pretty clear picture of where Christopher Nolan got much of the inspiration for The Dark Knight. But that which stands out as most brilliant is the emotional acting performance by Lee that just makes you wish that Eric Draven will get his full revenge and kill all his enemies."It can´t rain all the time" R.I.P Brandon Lee
Fitzcarraldo 1982,  PG)
Do the Right Thing 1989,  R)
Do the Right Thing
Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" is a film that covers such topics as racism, segregation and poverty. The story takes place during one of the hottest days of summer in the streets of Brooklyn and it shows how on small occurrence can escalate into disaster due to racial-tension. I felt that Spike Lee succeeds brilliantly with getting his point across. The story was somewhat lacking in structure and instead I got familiarized with a massive ensemble of characters and their everyday lives. This film shows the same story from different points of view and it felt very honest by making the point that even though all the characters went into the situation with the best of intentions their personal flaws and obsession make them turn to despicable acts, to the point that the only voice of reason is the character that seemed to be the most flawed from the start.
Dazed and Confused 1993,  R)
Dazed and Confused
Probably the greatest teen movie ever made, exeptional cast, exeptional soundtrack and the structure of the film is just delightful.
Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai 1999,  R)
Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai
A highly stylized hitman movie which succeeds brilliantly in mixing genres and cultures. Ghost Dog is a unique character who lives in solitude on a rooftop and follows the code of the samurai warrior, while sporadically working as a hitman for a mobster whom he considers to be his master. His best and only friend is a Tahitian ice-cream salesman named Raymond who only speaks French thus complicating communication between the two. This is an iconic performance by Forest Whitaker who skillfully plays the character Ghost Dog. A lot of the films humor is drawn from the friendship between Ghost Dog and Raymond, by translating his French dialog we are shown that the two friends are actually able to understand each other better than either of them realizes. The film uses a few elements from the film Leon: The Professional, but what is interesting is that director Jim Jarmusch makes a bigger effort to show this, rather than hide it and with a lot of stylistic shootout scenes, quirky characters and a philosophical approach Ghostdog: The Way of the Samurai is a film that is unique even though it has a few borrowed elements.
Serpico 1973,  R)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 1998,  R)
Scarface 1983,  R)
Midnight Express 1978,  R)
Midnight Express
A harrowing prison story based on the book and experiences of William Hayes an American citizen caught by Turkish customs while trying to smuggle hash to the U.S, William or Billy as he's called is made an example of and gets an unusually harsh sentence. One of the things that makes this movie work is the exceptional acting performance from Brad Davies which makes the main-character very easy to sympathise with, but also the solid performances from both Randy Quaid and John Hurt. As a result of these incredible performances the viewer is fully indulged in the hardship and misery that is the Midnight Express story. Hats of to Alan Parker, Oliver Stone and Billy Hayes for this incredible drama based on real events.
Salvador 1986,  R)
Dark City 1998,  R)
Dark City
The neo-noir science fiction film Dark City is intensely thrilling right from the start. John Murdoch wakes up in a hotel suffering from complete amnesia. Soon he learns that a group of supernatural men is out to kill him and that he´s the main suspect in the murder of several prostitutes, but while investigating his own past he becomes aware of an unbelievable and huge conspiracy. Alex Proyas has once again created a incredible and dark visual experience similar to "The Crow", and with a very original plot. The viewer is gradually presented with clues in a tempo that really keeps you enthralled and waiting for the next piece of the puzzle, although this movie has some slight overuse of poorly animated special effects it is still one of the greatest dystopian science fiction pictures to date.
Kill Bill: Volume 1 2003,  R)
Kill Bill: Volume 2 2004,  R)
Dead Man 1995,  R)
Dead Man
A revisionist western shot in all black and white in which we get to follow the journey of William Blake and native american Exaybachay, aka Nobody. Both Johnny Depp and Gary Farmer delivers outstanding performances and as they travel through incredible landscapes the viewer is presented with some stunning visuals. The film has alot of references to poet William Blake, the most obvious of course is the main characters name, but also some of his poetry is qouted most of it by Exaybachay and the scenes with the character Thel, acts out his poem "The Sick Rose" in a brilliant way. Many native american critics have praised this film for depicting native americans in a very accurate and non-stereotypical fashion. Doubtlessly this is one of the best revisionist westerns ever made.
Léon: The Professional 1994,  R)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? 2000,  PG-13)
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Takes place in the deep south during the depression era, were we get to follow the story of Everett, Pete and Delmar who after escaping a prison chain-gang must race against time to dig up a treasure Everett once hid. As i personally always tend to very much enjoy odysseys i went into "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" with high expectations which the cast and Coen brothers managed to fulfill. With an original soundtrack compiled out of a broad-spectrum of country and blues subgenres, the characters move through incredible landscapes and overcome a wide selection of obstacles in true Odyssey style. The film also have good depression era counterparts to the blind seer, the cyclops and Poseidon.
Back to the Future 1985,  PG)
Back to the Future Part II 1989,  PG)
Back to the Future Part III 1990,  PG)
The Conversation 1974,  PG)
M*A*S*H 1970,  PG)
M*A*S*H
Mash is truly one if the oddest films in the works of great cinema, being a goofy and very loosely structured satire comedy set in an American M.A.S.H facility (Medical army surgical hospital) during the Korea War. The film, which is directed by Robert Altman was made before the popular TV-series with the same name and features an almost completely different cast consisting of Elliot Gould, Donald Sutherland, Tom Skeritt, Robert Duvall, Sally Kellerman, Gary Burghoff, Roger Bowen and René Auberjonois among others. The only actor from this cast who remained to reprise his role in the TV-series is, Gary Burghoff, who plays Radar, but the characters are the same.

Even though the film is built like a fast-paced collection of absurd situations and ridiculous antics drawing a lot of laughs from slapstick comedy, there is a more to the film than meets the eye. The story, if something this loosely structured can even be called a story is just a backdrop for a subtle anti-Vietnam war statement that doesn't even need to depict the war it's making satire on to get the point across. To not laugh as the film ridicules military regulations, hypocrisy and disorganisation is nearly impossible and when about 90% of the characters consists of cowboys, undedicated officers and various eccentrics all bets are off. Most of the characters is completely out of control compared to what you expect from Military personnel. One great example is also one of the first things to happen on screen, Hawkeye played by Donald Sutherland has just arrived in Korea and is in no mood to wait for transportation to the M.A.S.H facility so he willy-nilly decides to steal an army Jeep and drive there himself. The loose structure and the vague plot didn't bother me at all since it didn't stop the film from having a well-thought-out point. The dynamic between the characters Trapper and Hawkeye, Radar and Colonel Blake was incredible and besides that the whole ensemble gives a great performance for which I can't really give anyone more credit than the others, they all have their moments, performs convincingly and with perfect comedic timing.
Serenity 2005,  PG-13)
Serenity
An intense and action-packed space-adventure, exceptionally directed and well-acted. Joss Whedon does an outstanding job concluding his superb but short-lived tv-series Firefly, The series ended leaving alot of loose ends, most of which are tied up nicely, altough it benefits from the viewer having seen the series it can also be viewed on its own as well.
The Big Lebowski 1998,  R)
The Untouchables 1987,  R)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail 1974,  PG)
Gattaca 1997,  PG-13)
Heat 1995,  R)
Alien 1979,  R)
Aliens 1986,  R)
Unforgiven 1992,  R)
Unforgiven
Clint Eastwood delivers a legendary performance in one of the few great western movies of the 90s era. A pretty much traditional western story delivered in style, but story apart this western film is anything, but conventional especially the main characters, three gunslingers on an assassination mission, who at many points throughout the film breaks the stereotypes and clichés of the genre. The solid performance from the cast alongside the tie down of stereotypes gives the characters a very deep and realistic touch. The same realistic touch has been used to choose perfect filming locations and make authentic looking sets. All these things add up to make Unforgiven the great Western film it is.
The Terminator 1984,  R)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1991,  R)
Patton 1970,  PG)
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan 2006,  R)
Scream 1996,  R)
Scream
Casey: Who's there?
Ghostface: Never say "who's there?" Don't you watch scary movies? It's a death wish. You might as well come out to investigate a strange noise or something.

A cult classic and a perfect example of a movie that couldn´t have been released at a better time, with some clever and innovative ideas it served as a perfect tribute to the almost dead slasher genre. The story focuses on Sidney Prescott who haven´t even had the time to overcome the murder of her mother one year ago, when she herself gets stalked by a serial-killer called Ghostface. This movie is filled with alot of amusing references to slasher and horror classics, and it also brings up the classic slasher rules and clichés which it both tributes and subverts. The final act is a splatter filled one and finishes the movie off by giving the viewer a true slasher-style incidental motive.
Deliverance 1972,  R)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 1975,  R)
Akira 1988,  R)
The Warriors 1979,  R)
The Warriors
I've had this cult-film in my "to watch list" for quite a while and finally decided to give it a shot. I must say that "The Warriors" truly surpassed every expectation I had of it, many dystopian-action films of this era fail to impress me, even though they are widely recognized films. I found this film, however, to be a lesser known gem.

It takes place in a not to distant future where hundreds of small gangs rule New York, these gangs mostly have names that are vaguely reminiscent of sports-teams. The Warriors, The Rogues, Turnbull AC's and Baseball Furies just to name a few and all of these gangs have a theme, which draws the mind to the classic, "A Clockwork Orange" the society in this film seems similar, but the approach is much more focused on style and the scope of the story narrower. When Cyrus the leader of New York's most powerful gang holds a gathering for almost all of the city's gangs in an attempt to form an alliance, The Rogues murder him and frames The Warriors, who now have to make the entire trip from the gathering in Bronx to their turf in Coney Island while being pursued by every rival gang in New York. The style of the film with the themed gangs, the cool action scenes, the dark settings and the burdensome quest would make one think the film was based on a graphic-novel that, however, is not the case the director was just shooting for a comic-book look and even starts every chapter of the film with a comic-strip. The film was actually based on a novel which borrows some elements from the old greek text Anabasis.
Enter the Dragon 1973,  R)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1986,  PG-13)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974,  R)
Gremlins 1984,  PG)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978,  PG)
Once Upon a Time in America 1984,  R)
There Will Be Blood 2007,  R)
Badlands 1973,  PG)
Jaws 1975,  PG)
Brazil 1985,  R)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 2001,  PG-13)
Downfall (Der Untergang) 2004,  R)
Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes 1972,  PG)
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981,  PG)
The Shawshank Redemption 1994,  R)
Raging Bull 1980,  R)
Raging Bull
Depicts the life and career of middle-weight boxer Jake LaMotta aka "The Bronx Bull". This almost entirely black and white film deserves a place among Scorssesse's two other masterpieces, "Taxi driver" and "Mean streets" it is also an excellent biopic with a great ratio of screen-time distributed between the career of LaMotta and his personal life and fight against his inner demons. That Robert DeNiro got the 1980 Oscar for best lead actor is not at all surprising, but what astonishes me is that Joe Pesci didn't get the Oscar for best supporting actor. Their individual performances are great, but what really sticks out is the incredible dynamic between the two.
The Exorcist 1973,  R)
Das Boot (The Boat) 1981,  R)
Hotel Rwanda 2004,  PG-13)
Hotel Rwanda
Hotel Rwanda is the one depiction of the Rwandan genocide that I've found to be the most gripping and to be the best of such films so far. The story is about the Hutu genocide of the Tutsi population seen through the eyes of Paul Rusesabagina, hotel manager of hotel Milles Collines, which for a short period of time became a refugee camp for Tutsi refugees. Paul himself is Hutu, but his wife is Tutsi and he is, therefore, forced to use all his connections and saved up favors to save his family and friends from an attempt to exterminate the entire Tutsi population.

This independent film quite vividly brings to life one of the biggest tragedies of the 90s and even educates about the origin of the hate in Rwanda that dates back to the Belgian colonisation. A very emotional film about one of the saddest chapters of history and the fact that it happened less than 20 years ago is terrifying to say the least. The film has a lot of characters to care about and very convincing performances from Don Cheadle, Sophie Okonedo, Nick Nolte, Fana Mokoena and Hakeem Kae-Kazim, especially impressive is Don Cheadle who rises to deliver his best performance so far.
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984,  R)
Che: Part One (The Argentine) 2008,  R)
Che: Part One (The Argentine)
A dramatic look on the cuban revolution with focus on Che Guevarra, Great political film with an exceptional acting performance from Benicio Del Toro and incredible cinematography.
Che: Part Two (Guerrilla) 2008,  R)
Django Unchained 2012,  R)
Zodiac 2007,  R)
A Beautiful Mind 2001,  PG-13)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments