Films watched in 2012

1. danielprinn1
  2. Daniel

Just a documentation of the movies I've in 2012. In total I watched 418 films (couldn't add Titanic, and I rewatched a few of them). Some probably won't have reviews on them though, I'll review ones that I remember well enough to, I haven't really been writing reviews for a long while. It's going to be in the order of when I saw them.

Page Views
Comments
  danielprinn1's Rating My Rating
The Conspirator 2010,  PG-13)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 2011,  PG-13)
Mad City 1997,  PG-13)
The Hangover Part II 2011,  R)
Prom Night 2008,  PG-13)
Fred Claus 2007,  PG)
Hall Pass 2011,  R)
Hall Pass
Hall Pass
Release Date: February 25, 2011
Director(s): Peter Farrelly, Bobby Farrelly
Stars: Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate
Runtime: 105 min
Tagline: One week. No rules.

Rick (Owen Wilson) and Fred (Jason Sudeikis) are two average married men. After their wives start to get really annoyed by their constant gawking and 24/7 sex drive, they come up with a simple solution: a hall pass. A hall pass is where a week off of marriage is issued; which gives the guys the opportunity to do whatever they want and sleep with whomever they want, in order to hopefully improve the marital issues they have been having. The film follows the erotic tales and adventures of the two men trying to get with women.
The film does have funny moments, but a lot of the film is weak. The first half an hour is quite strong, and some of the adventures they have are rather funny - but then it just gets very weak.
In the weak parts, there still are a few laughs - but it isn't enough to keep you intrigued. The filmmakers even threw a
*SPOILER*
crazy geek with a gun into the film as an attempt to get the viewers intrigued again, but it's pretty lame.
*END OF SPOILER*
The film suffers very much from maintaining any comic momentum, and it definitely is a waste of such an all-star cast, but it does have some laughs and the occasional sentimental moment.
The film stars Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate, Jenna Fischer, Nicky Whelan, Richard Jenkins, Larry Joe Campbell, Stephen Merchant and Alexandra Daddario.
It's only an average comedy, nothing all that special. Watch it if you don't mind sitting through some moderately boring scenes, for some pretty funny moments and
*SPOILER*
the ever so sexy Australian actress, Nicky Whelan takes off her top.
Alpha Dog 2006,  R)
Click 2006,  PG-13)
Zombieland 2009,  R)
The Illusionist 2006,  PG-13)
Bridesmaids 2011,  R)
Home Alone 1990,  PG)
Captain America: The First Avenger 2011,  PG-13)
Anacondas - The Hunt for the Blood Orchid 2004,  PG-13)
Tropic Thunder 2008,  R)
17 Again 2009,  PG-13)
Clockstoppers 2002,  PG)
Clockstoppers
*May contain spoilers*

Release Date: March 29, 2002
Director: Jonathan Frakes
Stars: Jesse Bradford, Michael Biehn, French Stewart
Runtime: 94 min

It's a bad Back to the Future for this generation.
Zak Gibbs (Jesse Bradford) is an ordinary high school guy who just wants to get the attention of the new girl, Francesca (Paula Garcés), at school. When he puts on this watch that his father was working on, he discovers that when he presses one of the buttons, the world appears as if it is frozen and no one can see him, as he is in "hyper time". When a Secret Agency wants to get their hands on the watch, and Zak, things turn into the chaotic.
The idea is really cool, but they don't use it to their advantage. The plot is poor, the dialogue isn't great, the acting isn't great; not exactly Razzie worthy, but not any small award worthy either, and the characters can get annoying.
I think I liked it when I was a kid but now that I look back, I really don't know how I liked it as much as I did.
The Shawshank Redemption 1994,  R)
Superbad 2007,  R)
X-Men Origins - Wolverine 2009,  PG-13)
Batman Begins 2005,  PG-13)
Moneyball 2011,  PG-13)
Saw II 2005,  R)
Saw II
It's really good for a sequel. It's an intense and thrilling ride, sometimes the plot is a little messy I thought, but it's a real guilty pleasure film. I like it.
Just Friends 2005,  PG-13)
Without A Paddle 2004,  PG-13)
Pineapple Express 2008,  R)
Sucker Punch 2011,  PG-13)
Slumdog Millionaire 2008,  R)
The Marine 2006,  PG-13)
X2: X-Men United 2003,  PG-13)
The Help 2011,  PG-13)
Crazy, Stupid, Love. 2011,  PG-13)
The Uninvited 2009,  PG-13)
The Dark Knight 2008,  PG-13)
Fright Night 2011,  R)
Catch Me If You Can 2002,  PG-13)
The Ides of March 2011,  R)
Pulp Fiction 1994,  R)
Dead Poets Society 1989,  PG)
Step Brothers 2008,  R)
National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze 2003,  R)
Saw III 2006,  R)
Saw III
I liked it more than the second, it has some really good scenes. it's both fun and flawed, it's a good ride. A nice instalment to the franchise.
Fantastic Four 2005,  PG-13)
The Change-Up 2011,  R)
50/50 2011,  R)
X-Men: First Class 2011,  PG-13)
Finding Nemo 2003,  G)
Finding Nemo
It's a great Pixar film, the characters are great and the film is usually extremely funny. Even a lot of adults will like it, it's a great plot filled with lots of heart and lots of laughs.
Happy Gilmore 1996,  PG-13)
Scream 1996,  R)
Source Code 2011,  PG-13)
Daredevil 2003,  PG-13)
The Silence of the Lambs 1991,  R)
In Time 2011,  PG-13)
21 2008,  PG-13)

Release Date: March 28, 2008

Director: Robert Luketic

Stars: Jim Sturgess, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey

Runtime: 123 min

Robert Luketic directs a stacked tight cast (Jim Sturgess, Kate Bosworth, Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Spacey and Aaron Yoo) in this grand, really entertaining, suspenseful film experience.

A math professor, Mickey Rosa (Kevin Spacey, American Beauty) takes 5 M.I.T students under his wing to count cards to make some money in Las Vegas. Remember, it's not illegal - it's only frowned upon. When a brilliant student (Jim Sturgess, Across the Universe)has to earn cash to find his way to Harvard Med, he takes a chance on the elite mathematician team. Lucky enough for him, a spot has just opened up.

This is just overall a good, interesting and entertaining factual-based story.

What would you do to get into Harvard Medical School?

75/100

Review written on: February 12, 2012
The Ladykillers 2004,  R)
Saw IV 2007,  R)
Carrie 1976,  R)
Hannibal 2001,  R)
Scream 3 2000,  R)
Life as We Know It 2010,  PG-13)
Invictus 2009,  PG-13)
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas 2011,  R)
Red Dragon 2002,  R)
Inglourious Basterds 2009,  R)
Holes 2003,  PG)
Anonymous 2011,  PG-13)
Anonymous
Some of it's pretty interesting, but a lot of it was also very boring. The fact that it's a true story made it the most interesting. I wanted to see it because I wanted to see how good of an actor David Thewlis would be outside of the 'Harry Potter' films, and he did a pretty good job. It's a great British cast, but it's not really that memorable. I was a bit let down by this period drama, it could have been better. I found myself having troubles getting to the very end. Some entertaining scenes, but also many very boring ones.
Freddy vs. Jason 2003,  R)
Awakenings 1990,  PG-13)
Hannibal Rising 2007,  R)
Halloween 1978,  R)
Halloween
Halloween
Release Date: October 25, 1978
Director: John Carpenter
Stars: Donald Pleasence, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tony Moran
Runtime: 91 min

John Carpenter's classic is just awesome.
Michael Myers is a psychotic murderer who has been institutionalized since childhood for murdering his teenage sister. After he escapes from the mental institution, he begins to stalk a bookish high school girl and her friends on Halloween night, whilst on the run from his doctor, Sam Loomis.
Halloween brings something to great to the horror genre: an original and great story. This film is the greatest slasher film to ever hit the genre, and still remains it to this day. It's just overall an excellent film.
It definitely would have been scarier in its day, but it is still especially spooky and has its fair share of frightening scenes. The acting is quite great, the direction is amazing, the score is great, and the story is so simple, great and effective. I like how it just shows that really bad things can happen in a safe and secure suburban neighbourhood; which can make you feel very unsettled while watching it and when you're trying to sleep, even.
The character of Michael Myers is just great, and this film started a grand franchise. It's classic horror at its best.
Jurassic Park III 2001,  PG-13)
Bruce Almighty 2003,  PG-13)
Rain Man 1988,  R)
Saw V 2008,  R)
Attack the Block 2011,  R)
Attack the Block
Set in a rough part of South London, a gang of teens have to protect their block from a pack of gorilla looking aliens.
It's a nice blend of comedy, science fiction, some horror elements and great action. It's a really good British made sci-fi. It's unique and original, and I enjoyed
watching it. It might be worth another watch if I owned it, but I only caught it on TV. I hadn't heard anything about the film, so I had no expectations and it was a really pleasant surprise. It was funny to see Nick Frost in it.
I could recommend it to most.
Club Dread 2004,  R)
Saw VI 2009,  R)
Saw 3D 2010,  R)
Yes Man 2008,  PG-13)
No Country for Old Men 2007,  R)
The Happening 2008,  R)
Detention 2003,  R)
Halloween II 1981,  R)
Fanboys 2007,  PG-13)
Halloween III - Season of the Witch 1982,  R)
Poseidon 2006,  PG-13)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 1988,  R)
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 1989,  R)
Saving Silverman (Evil Woman) 2001,  PG-13)
Halloween - The Curse of Michael Myers (Halloween 6) 1995,  R)
Prom 2011,  PG)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 2011,  PG-13)
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Release Date: May 20, 2011
Director: Rob Marshall
Stars: Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Ian McShane
Runtime: 136 min

This series has started to lose quality, and this one is a shining example of that. I've seen all of them, but I frankly can't remember them thoroughly.
Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) and Captain Barbarossa (Geoffrey Rush) embark on an adventure to find the fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard (Ian McShane) and her daughter (Penélope Cruz) want it for themselves.
As adventure films go, it's a bit of a mess at times. It isn't completely terrible, but it wasn't as a compelling of a film as all of the others. But granted, I'll have to give the series another view, as
I haven't watched them for a while.
The majority of the original cast was disposed (Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, leaving only Depp) so it wasn't as enjoyable, because the characters are really one of the most enjoyable
aspects of the series. And the director of the first three (Gore Verbinski) shouldn't have handed over the series to Marshall.
This one was quite disappointing.
Halloween H2O 1998,  R)
Identity 2003,  R)
Psycho 1960,  R)
Psycho
Words cannot express well enough how impressed I was by this film; it has so many great aspects to it.

Marion Crane is a beautiful blonde who just stole forty thousand dollars from her employer, and she sets on a road trip to be with her lover a few towns over. She stops at the Bates Motel, where she meets a young quiet man, Norman Bates, who seems to be dominated by his wicked mother.

This was the first film that I saw from Alfred Hitchcock, and I loved the film so much it encouraged me to check out a lot of his other features, and a lot remain on my watch list. It's one of my favourite horror/thriller experiences of older cinema.

The film doesn't rely on things that pop out for scares (but there are a few effective scares that made me jump), but its eerie material is what makes it the most terrifying.

A great horror/thriller with a few big scares, huge twists and turns, and a great sound to accompany it all. It's just difficult not to be entertained by this film; from the beginning, it held my attention tight and never let go until the end credits, and it's a movie that is truly unforgettable.

It's effective and disturbing, this is the first and one of the greatest slasher flicks ever made, and is my favourite Hitchcock film.

The film stars Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin, Marvin Balsam and John McIntire.

Hitchcock brings his usual great direction to this one.

It's a film that it was correctly chosen to be in black and white, it wouldn't have been quite as spooky if it was in colour.

It's an unforgettable and entertaining film experience, which is still discussed to this day, and is about as must-see as horror films get. Horror and thriller fanatics check this out. Even if you don't like black and white films, still check it out. If you watch one horror film in your life (I don't see how you could personally), this one is an extremely strong contender of what that one film should be.

Read the uncut review at filmcraziest.wordpress.com.
Halloween - Resurrection 2002,  R)
Seven (Se7en) 1995,  R)
The Box 2009,  PG-13)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2011,  R)
Bad Teacher 2011,  R)
Bad Teacher
Bad Teacher
Release Date: June 24, 2011
Director: Jake Kasdan
Stars: Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel
Runtime: 92 min

.At least it stays true to its title (the movie is bad, and she's a bad teacher).
The film is about this woman named about Elizabeth Halsey (Cameron Diaz) who just got dumped by her sugar daddy and got a teaching position, and she doesn't do her job very well. When she wants to woo a fellow colleague, she begins a feud with a well-respected teacher (Lucy Punch).
The film is vulgar and rude, which I could forgive if it were actually funny. I remember only laughing out loud once and chuckling once.
The acting isn't grand, and the plot is quite done-before, utterly weak, and predictable; and the characters are hardly likeable at all.
This film also stars Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel, Phyllis Smith, John Michael Higgins, and Noah Munck.
It isn't even worth the watch on TV. I couldn't recommend it.
The Sixth Sense 1999,  PG-13)
The Hunger Games 2012,  PG-13)
Field of Dreams 1989,  PG)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 1975,  R)
1408 2007,  PG-13)
The Descendants 2011,  R)
Speed 1994,  R)
My Week with Marilyn 2011,  R)
The Switch 2010,  PG-13)
The Switch
The plot is about these platonic friends (only guess what, he wishes they weren't) where she has a kid from a sperm donor and moved away from NY. When she returns, he realizes that on a drunk night, he switched the real donor's sperm for his own, and he's really the father of the child.

It can be a pretty funny romantic comedy, though it has more dramatic elements. It has some heart. A lot of it though is really quite clichéd and predictable, but it's usually pretty enjoyable to watch. I think I've watched this one too many times, because it's always on when nothing better is. It's good enough for a first viewing, and sometimes a second but it starts to get a bit worn on the third or fourth view (if it hadn't already). It's pretty decent, average, but it has some nice scenes, though there isn't a lot of memorable material here. It's a pretty good cast, and the most memorable part of it for me was the nice relationship between Wally and Sebastian. It's good for Aniston and Bateman fans, it might be worth a buy for a really cheap price or a watch on TV. It doesn't necessarily have to be seen, but there isn't a lot here that I regret seeing.
War Horse 2011,  PG-13)
Groundhog Day 1993,  PG)
American History X 1998,  R)
The Iron Lady 2011,  PG-13)
The Sitter 2011,  R)
Date Night 2010,  PG-13)
The Experiment 2010,  R)
Despicable Me 2010,  PG)
Meet the Parents 2000,  PG-13)
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Will Ferrell 2002,  Unrated)
The Rundown (Welcome to the Jungle) 2003,  PG-13)
Daddy Day Care 2003,  PG)
Black Christmas 2006,  R)
United 93 2006,  R)
Shrek Forever After 2010,  PG)
Scary Movie 2000,  R)
Scary Movie
It's better than one's average spoof film, it had some pretty good laughs, but I still didn't like it all that much. It's good enough to watch for cheap laughs, but it isn't all that special. But it probably is the best in the series.
Scary Movie 3 2003,  PG-13)
Scary Movie 2 2001,  R)
The Shining 1980,  R)
21 Jump Street 2012,  R)
Contagion 2011,  PG-13)
The Birds 1963,  PG-13)
The Birds
It's a pretty good Hitchcock suspense film.

A wealthy San Francisco woman follows a potential boyfriend to a small North Californian town where things soon start to turn nightmarish after birds of all kinds attack the small town with increasing numbers and drastic viciousness.

It really is suspenseful, but some of it can get a little ridiculous and is laughable at times, when it isn't supposed to be. It's somewhat flawed and was probably much scarier in its day and has some very intense sequences. It really is an original piece of work, and has such an effectively simple plot.

I enjoyed it at the time, but I don't think I'll go back to it anytime soon. It's pretty memorable, though. It's generally memorable, and is a really great Hitchcock experience, but I don't think I'll return to it soon. Hedren delivers a good performance, as well of a performance she could give while being attacked by birds. The character development is actually very efficient, and they are generally likeable; and unlike the horror films of today, you may actually be upset if a character here were butchered off by some hungry birds.

While some of the birds and sets feel so fake they took away from my enjoyment a little, the performances feel pretty genuine. I wouldn't hate a remake of this one, as maybe they could throw in some better effects, and maybe even make it scarier with a modern touch.

Watch it if you like old suspense films, it isn't a waste of time at all. It isn't my favourite Hitchcock film, but really is quite good.
Lottery Ticket 2010,  PG-13)
Gone Baby Gone 2007,  R)
Remember the Titans 2000,  PG)
Quiz Show 1994,  PG-13)
Horrible Bosses 2011,  R)
Brothers 2009,  R)
Rope 1948,  PG)
Rope
It is a truly engaging feature

Brandon (John Dall) and Phillip (Farley Granger) are two young men who have always wondered what it would be like to kill someone. After they strangle an inferior classmate, David (Dick Hogan), they invite over his family and friends as a means to test their perfect crime, and also an old brilliant schoolteacher played admirably and stunningly by James Stewart; all while the body is in a chest in the middle of the apartment.

It's an interesting and entertaining fight of wits, between Brandon and Rupert, as Brandon drops subtle hints of the murder to see if Rupert would pick up on them. And then Phillip's

Most of it is extremely entertaining, and a lot of it is really suspenseful. It really kept me guessing, and a lot of it is pretty intense. It's an 80 minute experience that feels longer than it is, and Hitchcock shot the film in a really interesting fashion. Hitchcock only used about ten takes throughout the whole film (if the trivia proves accurate), ranging from four to ten minutes. This fashion makes you feel like you're watching a play because of the one set, and the editing and how it looks like the film's just all ongoing.

The performances are pretty good from the majority of the cast, their performances feel genuine and not like they're in it for the money, John Dall and Farley Granger did a good job, and James Stewart stands out the most, though, with a really great performance.

The film could have been better paced, it isn't perfect but it's enjoyable. I caught it on TV, and it was an interesting experience, but if I saw it at a store I'm not sure if I'd buy the film, as I'm not sure if I'd be apt to experience this flick again anytime soon.

The film also stars Edith Evanson, Douglas Dick, Cedric Hardwicke, Joan Chandler, and Constance Collier (who I wish could have gotten strangled, she was so irritating, in the case that I am thinking of the correct annoying character).

Hitchcock really does deliver us an entertaining experience, with the way that he films the thing making it, and the performance given by Stewart, the most memorable aspects of the film.
The Cabin in the Woods 2012,  R)
The Cabin in the Woods
The Cabin in the Woods
Release Date: April 13, 2012
Director: Drew Goddard
Stars: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison
Runtime: 95 min
Tagline: You think you know the story.

A group of young adults go for a getaway vacation to a, you guessed it, cabin in the woods; where things start out alright, but they soon turn into a wicked nightmare.
It's quite admirable that this has some reminiscent themes of two extremely different films: 'Scream' and 'The Truman Show'.
I can't really say a lot about this film, because I don't want to spoil anything, but it does have some great twists and turns and was a real pleasant and fresh surprise.
You don't want to miss this horror treat from the minds of Drew Goddard (Cloverfield) and Joss Whedon (The Avengers), and is Goddard's directorial debut. It's a can't miss, has big scares, can be really funny at times, and is the most original horror film I have seen since 'Scream'.
The Parent Trap 1998,  PG)
Going the Distance 2010,  R)
Zodiac 2007,  R)
Shark Night 3D 2011,  PG-13)
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star 2011,  R)
Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star
Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star
Release Date: September 9, 2011
Director: Tom Brady
Stars: Nick Swardson, Christina Ricci, Don Johnson
Runtime: 97 min
Tagline: There are no small actors. Just small parts.

Bucky Larson is an ordinary loser who lives in the Midwest, and after he sees a nude flick, that his parents starred in, he wants to follow in their footsteps and heads out for the bright lights of Hollywood.
The film fails in all aspects and is painfully unfunny. I never thought I'd ever see a movie even more stupid than Jack and Jill. The plot sucks, there's little attempt at character development that isn't very interesting at all, and the acting isn't good. It feels like a spoof film, and it's hard to get good acting with this poorly written script.
The film relies on three main unfunny jokes: Bucky's buck teeth, his small penis, and his premature ejaculation.
The only good thing about this film is the short appearance by Adam Herschman (Glen from Accepted), he wasn't exactly funny but it was nice to see him in a film again. Like I said, it's hard to be funny in this flick. The talents of Nick Swardson and Christina Ricci are extremely
wasted.
I don't know how this is a movie. It's just horrible and not even fun at all. It's a chore to watch.
It gets a half a star because it has to, but in reality: it gets a big old zero.
Chronicle 2012,  PG-13)
Hostage 2005,  R)
Memento 2000,  R)
Memento
Memento
Release Date: October 11, 2000
Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano
Runtime: 113 min
Tagline: Some memories are best forgotten.

Leonard Shelby is a man who suffers from short-term memory loss. With this disability, he must rely on tattoos, notes and photographs to find the man who killed his wife.
It's an original, intelligent mystery thriller that can be easy to follow, but will involve some thinking power to a lot of viewers.
I really liked this film for its intelligence, cinematography, direction, originality and the great backwards fashion that the whole story was unraveled in.
I bought it at a local store for like eight dollars; a film of this quality at that price is a steal.
Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Insomnia) is a masterful filmmaker and has not disappointed me yet.
Guy Pearce delivers a wonderful performance. The film also stars Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano, Mark Boone Junior, Jorja Fox, and Stephen Tobolowsky.
I might have to give it another watch to see if they are any aspects of the film I didn't pay attention to, though. It's a great, intriguing story and I really enjoyed it all. I also enjoyed watching the pieces of the puzzle, that is the film, come together. It grasped my attention and didn't let it go until the very end.
Fans of Nolan's, those who like unique and very entertaining mysteries, intelligent flicks and just films that involve thinking power, should really check this one out.
Braveheart 1995,  R)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984,  R)
American Psycho 2000,  R)
Bring It On: All or Nothing 2006,  PG-13)
Marvel's The Avengers 2012,  PG-13)
Marvel's The Avengers
Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Captain America (Chris Evans)
make The Avengers. This film is pretty sweet.
The Avengers assemble to face off against the god of mischief himself, Loki (portrayed by Tom Hiddleston).
What does The Avengers have? Awesome visual effects; great characters; great direction; not the best plot. I can't think of any other villains that they could have fought against, well villains of these superheroes. Magneto or a Batman villain could have worked, but of course that goes out of their section of villains. I just wasn't feeling the alien invasion thing.
Though, the action was incredible - and it prevented the viewer from becoming bored. The gags were really funny,
Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk added charisma to the film. The film casts a big box office shadow for upcoming super hero films like The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises, so hopefully those don't disappoint.
My expectations were high, from hearing all of the awesome things about it, so I didn't enjoy it AS much as I wanted to. And I also viewed the film in 2D and not 3D, in which it was made for, so that may have taken away from my enjoyment. Granted, the film is still better than one's average super hero film and was still extremely enjoyable.
Inside Man 2006,  R)
Monster 2003,  R)
Caddyshack 1980,  R)
Disturbia 2007,  PG-13)
Disturbia
Disturbia
Release Date: April 13, 2007
Director: D.J. Caruso
Stars: Shia LaBeouf, David Morse, Carrie-Anne Moss
Runtime: 105 min

A lot of people say this flick is like Hitchcock's Rear Window, but when I was watching that film - I didn't think of this one once. I mean after when I really thought about it, there are some similar themes -- but not very many that are quite obviously reminiscent of Rear Window??.
After Kale (Shia LaBeouf) loses his father, he has become emotionally unstable. A year later, when there is an incident at school, it lands Kale under a court-ordered house arrest. When Kale is running out of ideas of things to do, he resorts to spying on the neighbours - and takes a special interest in a neighbour, Robert Turner (David Morse), whom he begins to suspect of being a serial killer.
The originality of the film isn't the best, as a lot of the things of the film have been done before, but it really is a great thriller. The thrills and scares are big, and it is thoroughly entertaining and too has its fair share of comical moments. The cast really does an incredible job, from the young acting talents to the great performances by David Morse and Carrie-Anne Moss.
The film stars Shia LaBeouf, David Morse, Carrie-Anne Moss, Sarah Roemer, Aaron Yoo, Jose Pablo Cantillo, and Matt Craven, with Viola Davis.
The character development of the film is really grand, and I really like the plot as well. It's one of my favourite thrillers.
Men in Black 1997,  PG-13)
Mean Girls 2004,  PG-13)
Fight Club 1999,  R)
Smokin' Aces 2007,  R)
Clerks 1994,  R)
Let Me In 2010,  R)
Chernobyl Diaries 2012,  R)
Chernobyl Diaries
Chernobyl Diaries
Release Date: May 25, 2012
Director: Bradley Parker
Stars: Jesse McCartney, Jonathan Sadowski, Olivia Dudley
Runtime: 86 min

Chernobyl Diaries is really nothing that special.
Natalie (Olivia Dudley), her boyfriend Chris (Jesse McCartney), his brother Paul (Jonathan Sadowksi), and a friend Amanda (Devin Kelley) are all vacationing in Europe. When Paul hires an extreme tour guide (Dimitri Diatchenko) to take them up to the abandoned city of Pripyat, the former home of the workers of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor, they're intrigued and most of them want to do it. They think they'd just have to worry about the dangerous levels of nuclear activity, but they are very wrong.
The beginning is quite promising, but then it just gets to be a little silly and quite stupid.
The storyline seems original, but the contents of the film have been done before. It's just a messy screenplay. Some of the scares are actually pretty big; but others are just really expected. The acting isn't very good at all.
As my first experience for a horror film shot in a found footage format, it was actually pretty good. Though, I feel as if I had seen all the others (like the Paranormal Activity series, The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield), I would have been utterly disappointed.
The film also stars Ingrid Bols? Berdal, and Nathan Phillips.
It's only an okay movie.

45/100
A Dangerous Method 2011,  R)
Final Destination 5 2011,  R)
Little Nicky 2000,  PG-13)
The Greatest Game Ever Played 2005,  PG)
The Green Mile 1999,  R)
Rear Window 1954,  PG)
Rear Window
Alfred Hitchcock is a really great filmmaker, making greats such as this, Psycho, The 39 Steps (which I haven't seen, admittedly, but I've heard great things about it) The Birds, and Rope, to name a few.

It's a simple film with a great and effective plot, which just keeps you on edge, especially when it gets into the feature, and then it becomes even more engaging.

L.B. "Jeff" Jefferies is a photographer who hurt his leg and has to stay at his apartment and is wheelchair bound for a while. To pass some time, he starts spying on the neighbours. When he notices some peculiar behaviour, he wonders if a woman across the way has been murdered - which leads himself into a mystery that he must attempt to solve with the help of an investigator, his gal, and his nurse.

It's really one heck of a suspenseful ride and I really enjoyed it. I haven't had this much of a great time with a film of only few sets since 12 Angry Men. The beginning was moderately slow because it was only just starting to build up the suspense, but it is still interesting, and when it really got into the story it really is engaging and has pleasant twists and turns and is one heck of an entertaining and suspenseful experience.

James Stewart delivers a usual great performance as Jefferies (he is really one fine old-time actor that I've really grown to love) and the film also stars Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter and Raymond Burr.

It isn't my favourite Hitchcock film (that would be Psycho), but it is truly worthy of a close second, the suspense hardly stops.
Thor 2011,  PG-13)
Thor
*May contain spoilers*

Thor
Release Date: May 26, 2011
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman
Runtime: 115 min

It's a pretty entertaining super hero film.
Thor, the arrogant thunder god, is banned from the realm of Asgard and is sent to earth. From there, he soon discovers that he must become a defender of earth. He meets a team of scientists after crash landing into earth. He also soon finds out that his brother Loki wants to send earth into total destruction, and attain the Asgardian throne for himself, from his father Odin.
It's safe to say that Loki has quite the inferiority complex.
This film actually has some great direction (from Kenneth Branagh, director of Henry V and Hamlet) and a pretty stellar cast too. The cast includes Chris Hemsworth (Star Trek), Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs), Natalie Portman (Black Swan), Stellan Skarsgård (Good Will Hunting), Tom Hiddleston (War Horse), and Kat Dennings (The 40 Year-Old Virgin).
It's not my favourite super hero film, but it's definitely not my least favourite. I'm talking to you, Green Lantern.
Easy A 2010,  PG-13)
Safe House 2012,  R)
Safe House
Safe House
Release Date: February 10, 2012
Director: Daniel Espinosa
Stars: Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Vera Farmiga
Runtime: 115 min
Tagline: No one is safe.

Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds) is a young CIA agent whose mission is to go to this safe house and look after a fugitive, Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington). Frost used to be a great CIA agent, until he turned rogue. It turns out others want Frost dead, too. After the safe house is attacked, Weston must protect Frost at all costs.
The action sequences are pretty great at the time, but they aren't very memorable at all. There's also quite a few boring scenes. The plot also isn't all that memorable either, and it can get a little complicated at times - when you'd think a film with such a seemingly simple plot wouldn't involve any thinking power at all.
The performances are decent, Washington is the best in his role, though.
This movie stars Ryan Reynolds, Denzel Washington, Vera Farmiga, Brendan Gleeson, Sam Shepard, Nora Arnezeder, Robert Patrick and Joel Kinnaman.
What you get is an action film I could live without, but I enjoyed quite a few aspects of it. Nothing I regret seeing but it just left a feeling of "that could have been so much better," by the end of the running time. It isn't a total waste of time as some of it's interesting, see it if the opportunity comes along; as some of it has some good action and isn't a complete fail of a
film.
I was just generally disappointed by this really decent action flick that could have been greater, considering it has seemingly such a simple plot and a great cast, but ended up being unfortunately between average and pretty good.

63/100
Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines 2003,  R)
The Hurt Locker 2008,  R)
Conviction 2010,  R)
Due Date 2010,  R)
The Grey 2012,  R)
The Grey
The Grey
Release Date: January 27, 2012
Director: Joe Carnahan
Stars: Liam Neeson, Dermot Mulroney, Frank Grillo
Runtime: 117 min
Tagline: Live or die on this day.

The Grey was a pleasant surprise.
After their plane crashes in the Alaskan wilderness, six oil-workers are led to survival by a skilled huntsman (Neeson). What they soon find out is that they are being stalked by a pack of hungry wolves.
It's actually a pretty great thrill ride, and I cannot think of any other survival film that I had a better time with than this. Liam Neeson delivers in this film, along with others who I was quite impressed by.
I liked how they did the casting in a fashion of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, in the way that they had one central, well-known actor (in this case: Neeson; in Cuckoo's Nest case: Jack Nicholson) and other moderately unknown (as I was hardly familiar with any of the other actors, with the exception of James Badge Dale as I had seen him in The Conspirator and the bad film adaptation of Lord of the Flies) actors. In this fashion, the audience takes more to the lead actor.
I was really liked the film, and the direction (as I didn't like Carnahan's project, Smokin' Aces).
The thrills were grand, the plot execution was actually pretty impressive, and the character development was quite good. The only complaint I have about the film is that at times, there was too much talking and not enough action.
It was filled with thrills, pure entertainment, and quite a few sentimental moments.
And it has a really awesome poem that's a nice theme of the film: "Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day."
The film is like an awesome mix between Frozen and Taken.
If survival films, or Liam Neeson, or good movies in general are your thing, this is a film that is definitely worth checking out.
Man on a Ledge 2012,  PG-13)
Straw Dogs 2011,  R)
Straw Dogs
*Contains spoilers*

Straw Dogs
Release Date: September 16, 2011
Director: Rod Lurie
Stars: James Mardsen, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgård
Runtime: 110 min

A screenwriter, David Sumner (James Mardsen, Death at a Funeral), and his wife Amy (Kate Bosworth, 21) move back to her small Southern hometown, where tensions build with them an a few locals.
Not a horrid work by Rod Lurie, but not any close to good, either. When I watch a gritty film like this, I like to be both entertained and disturbed, but I was more disturbed by this film. Some of the confrontations between Charlie (Alexander Skarsgård, TV's True Blood) and David are just silly and random attempts to add to the creepiness of the film. It had some pretty solid performances (Skarsgård, Woods) but it just did not do very much for me.
It also stars James Woods, Dominic Purcell, Willa Holland
The original film has Dustin Hoffman, so I'd be interested to see that little guy crack. That one I'd be pleased to add to my film collection. I'm glad I found this one on TV, saved me about twenty bucks. After I watch the original, I don't think I'd be surprised to conclude that this film didn't do it any justice at all.
30 Days of Night 2007,  R)
The Game 1997,  R)
Forrest Gump 1994,  PG-13)
Harvey 1950,  Unrated)
Harvey
It's a great fantasy-comedy. It's a classic, but as far as classics go, it isn't that amazing.

Elwood P. Dowd is a pleasant mild-mannered man, who is the drunk around town (but ironically enough, he only ever takes a drink once or twice throughout the film). Elwood used to be so much more pleasant, until his mother died and he had entered an emotional phase, which
involved him gaining an imaginary friend. The imaginary friend is very special, as he is a six foot-three (and a half, get the facts straight) bunny named Harvey.

It really is a pretty charming film, a good fantasy, and still has comedy that works to this day.

Some of it definitely would have worked better in its day, which would make it much better a few decades ago. I really rather enjoyed it though, as I do like old cinema, but I'm not sure how much it will stick out in my memory - but it really was quite enjoyable at the time.

I don't know if I'd watch it again, but it was pretty good.
Some of the plot got really ridiculous at times, but it was needed in some ways.

James Stewart is a real pleasure to watch. Some of the other actors aren't that great (like practically the rest of the whole cast, with the exception of Josephine Hull). Peggy Dow, Charles Drake and Cecil Kellaway also appear in this film.

If you like old cinema, or if you like James Stewart, you should give this one a watch.
Hot Tub Time Machine 2010,  R)
Garden State 2004,  R)
The Truman Show 1998,  PG)
Sixteen Candles 1984,  PG)
Sixteen Candles
It isn't a good John Hughes film. It's a really good John Hughes film.

Samantha Baker is an average suburban girl, who just turned sixteen. With the whole chaos of her older sister's wedding, no one in her family remembered her birthday. Samantha is also trying to get the attention of Jake Ryan, the alpha senior, who she doesn't think she could ever
get.
The character of Samantha shares the screen with other main characters, like Long Duk Dong, the prom queen, and The Geek (a.k.a. Farmer Ted) and his posse of nerds (played by Darren Harris and John Cusack).

Samantha Baker is decent, but merely forgettable, and the least memorable of the ensemble. Long Duk Dong, the Chinese (or Japanese) foreign exchange student truly steals the show, and gets the biggest laughs with his curiosity of a new country and his sexy giiiirlfriend.

The film is greatly directed, and quite enjoyable. It's another Hughes 80s comedy classic.
The Breakfast Club 1985,  R)
The Breakfast Club
This is John Hughes at his absolute best.

Five high school students come together in a Saturday detention. They are all of different social statuses: there's an athlete, a criminal, a princess, a brain, and a basket case. They all find out that they really do have more in common than they thought, especially for their hatred for their principal, Richard Vernon.

The characters are the most memorable aspect of the film. John Bender (Judd Nelson), the criminal, is just a wise-cracking bad boy who seems just to despise the world; Andrew Clark (Emilio Estevez) is a nice guy with an overbearing father who just has a bit too much pressure on him; Claire Standish (Molly Ringwald), the princess, is the virginal (or maybe not?) female who's in for skipping class; Brian Johnson (Anthony Michael Hall), the brain, is the talkative smart guy who just needs to try in school so he can get into a good college; and Allison Reynolds (Ally Sheedy) is the basket case who's also a compulsive liar.

John Hughes just makes the best on-screen chemistry. It's a film that has lots of laughs, lots of heart, and lots of cinema greatness.

The characters are really relatable, and the actors are well-casted to portray each stereotype. The film is both very emotional at some scenes and also quite feel-good in others, and Hughes knows very well how balance the two out, he really penned a defining teen film, here.

The only tainting factor that took away five points from my enjoyment is that one of the characters gave up their individuality by the end of it all, which sort of just really peeved me off.

You'll just want to watch it again and again. It's the best teen coming-of-age comedic drama of its time.
Where the Heart Is 2000,  PG-13)
Where the Heart Is
Where the Heart Is
Release Date: April 28, 2000
Director: Matt Williams
Stars: Natalie Portman, James Frain, Ashley Judd
Runtime: 120 min

It's an alright film based on the novel of the same name by Billie Letts. It's decent but it just seems to drag on at some moments.
Natalie Portman beautifully plays a pregnant woman in her late teens called Novalee Nation, and her irresponsible boyfriend abandons her at an Oklahoman Wal-Mart. There she has to set up camp, and has to start a new life with no money or family. She does meet some interesting characters along the way and builds strong friendships.
Sure, it's a pretty heartwarming and occasionally chuckle-worthy film, like the fact that Novalee has a phobia of the number five, but some of it is not completely interesting.
It's an okay film, Natalie Portman delivers her usual great performance, but at times her talents feel wasted, that goes the same for Judd.
The film stars Natalie Portman (her performance being the best part of it), James Frain, Ashley Judd (a good suppourting role), Stockard Channing (Rizzo from 'Grease'), Keith David, Dylan Bruno and Joan Cusack.
It's pretty entertaining and sometimes it can be interesting and other times not, but if you like a mediocrely heartwarming story, Natalie Portman and have Netflix, you should give this film a shot.

63/100
Mrs. Doubtfire 1993,  PG-13)
Sleepers 1996,  R)
John Tucker Must Die 2006,  PG-13)
Sex Drive 2008,  R)
Stand by Me 1986,  R)
Stand by Me
Rob Reiner directs this coming-of-age drama based on the Stephen King novella, with a young cast including Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman (The Goonies), Jerry O'Connell and Kiefer Sutherland.

A young group of kids set out on an adventure after gaining knowledge of a dead body out in the woods. In the group there is: Gordie (the writer), Chris (the leader), Teddy (the maniac), and Vern (the chubby one).

They find out about the dead body from another group (a gang of older kids led by Kiefer Sutherland) after Vern overheard two of them talking.

It is an adventure with a few laughs, some thrills and a lot of drama.
It is a nice childhood adventure that is told wonderfully through a soothing narrative, and the film isn't very long, so even if you don't like it - it isn't a waste of time.

It isn't my favourite movie based on a work of Stephen King's (but I love a lot of them, and this movie still wasn't near bad at all) or my favourite coming-of-age movie (it isn't The Breakfast Club of course) or my favourite adventure film either (it's not The Goonies), but it still is quite enjoyable, and has great acting and a good screenplay, it isn't boring, and it's still a story that works well in 2012. It's an overall good time.
Face/Off 1997,  R)
I Love You Beth Cooper 2009,  PG-13)
Ted 2012,  R)
Ted
*May contain spoilers*

Release Date: June 29, 2012
Director: Seth MacFarlane
Stars: Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Seth MacFarlane (Voice)
Runtime: 106 min

Seth MacFarlane hits the big screen with Ted, and it's actually rather good.
The film opens in a small Boston town on Christmas Eve 1985, where John Bennett is having a rather difficult time making friends. On Christmas morning, he receives a teddy bear, which he grows highly attached to. He makes a wish that Ted would come to life, and voila! he does.
Then the film skips to when John is thirty-five years old, living with his girlfriend of four years, Lori, and still his thunder buddy, Ted. The film is about John, Ted and Lori's relationship - and Lori is starting to get really fed up with Ted, and he has to try to receive a taste of the real world.
The movie actually has many laughs. It's definitely funnier than you might think a buddy movie could ever be about an immature grown man's relationship with his real life teddy bear, which consists of much pot smoking and movie watching.
When there are laughs, they're really big; granted, the film does have some dull areas, as it suffers from maintaining comedic momentum throughout the entire feature (the most laughs are at the beginning and near the end). The factor of MacFarlane's comfort zone being a 22-minute slot (as he created Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show) should definitely be considered in that area.
The film is actually quite the fun ride, has great quotes, laughs, pop culture references, great narrative (by the British voice styling of Patrick Stewart at the beginning and end of the film), and even when it is at its dull areas of the feature, it isn't completely boring.
It also stars Joel McHale as Rex, Lori's horny boss, Giovanni Ribisi as the crazed Donny, and Patrick Warburton as the drunken co-worker, Guy.
The character of Ted is actually really funny and intriguing, the on-screen chemistry is grand, and it's a comedy that should be cherished - as it is one of the funniest films of 2012 thus far (its only competition, that I have seen, being 21 Jump Street).
Grease 1978,  PG)
Grease
Over the summer, good girl Sandy and greaser Danny have a great summer romance. When the school season comes back in session, Sandy has moved to the same school as Danny, Rydell
High (they say it so much at the beginning, that if you took a shot for every time it was spoken, you'd be drunk really fast). She joins the crew called 'The Pink Ladies,' a female group of girls who wear all pink. Danny's in a group called the T-Birds. When Sandy sees that Danny isn't the same sweetheart that she fell in love with over the course of the summer, their chances to
rekindle their romance doesn't seem so likely.

Grease is a stylish musical based in 1950's California that has an above average romance story and great catchy tunes.

The actors in this are good, especially Olivia-Newton John and John Travolta.
The songs make you want to do a little jig, and you can sing along to them endlessly. While it is great, it isn't perfect, because it is a bit lengthy for a musical. Also, the actors are in their 20's and are playing high school students.
Though, it does use its fairly simple plot of young love to its advantage. The message that it offers is not to be fake and just be yourself (well, at least that's what I get from it).
It's all sure to put a smile on your face and just give you a great feeling after it's all over with, you'll be singing the songs days after you've watched it if you really enjoyed the film. It's a film that really leaves a wonderful lasting expression, it is entertaining and sure is charming. For a musical, it really is worth checking out.
Nanny McPhee Returns 2010,  PG)
Spider-Man 2002,  PG-13)
Spider-Man
Spider-Man
Release Date: May 3, 2002
Director: Sam Raimi
Stars: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, Willem Dafoe
Release Date: 121 min

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) is an average everyday science wiz, until he goes on a field trip and gets bitten by a spider that gives him superhuman abilities. After tragedy befalls his family, Peter must use his abilities to become New York's masked saviour.
Along the way, he deals with a number of things: coping with his newfound abilities, fight for the love of Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), and fight the evil Green Goblin.
It's quite the action film; and it is one of my favourite super-hero films. The storyline is well-structured, the characters are mostly likeable, the acting is good, and the direction is good also.
The film also stars James Franco, Cliff Robertson, Rosemary Harris and J.K. Simmons.
It's a good movie, and a great first film for a great movie trilogy.

75/100
Bad Santa 2003,  R)
Good Morning, Vietnam 1987,  R)
Good Morning, Vietnam
Robin Williams had disappointed audiences with films before this one like Popeye and Club Paradise, and this is one of the first comedies that he actually was able to present his true talents and impress audiences, and he really did impress me.

When a new and unorthodox DJ, Adrian Cronauer, comes to Vietnam to be on the radio to bring news to the armed forces to Vietnam, he becomes a huge voice for the army, bringing them laughs and rising their spirits; much to the displeasure of an unfunny (who thinks he's a real riot, even the guy at the radio station who knows funny thinks that he isn't funny at all) Lieutenant and other higher officers.

I've heard generally good things about this one, and boy was impressed by this flick. I thought it was just going to be the usual comedy shtick and antics of the usual Williams, while it does have a lot of that, it also has really quite interesting subplots and some dramatic and romantic elements that I really enjoyed. Williams was able to show two of his best acting sides: his very funny comedic styling, and his stunningly great dramatic side. I love him both as a comedy actor and a drama actor. In some cases, he's better as a drama actor; and both of his sides were equally good in this one.

Some of the subplots include him trying to woo a local Vietnamese schoolgirl, Trinh, who he saw and followed her to an English class for the Vietnamese, and he paid off the teacher so he could teach these guys some stuff, in a charismatic and funny fashion. Another subplot includes his relationship with the young woman's brother, Tuan.

I admire this flick because of its comedic and dramatic elements, and how it's so much more than just Williams improvising war and popular culture jokes on the radio.

It's too hard to pick which one would be my favourite Williams flick, but this one would probably be up there.

This one has some really memorable scenes, jokes, characters (especially the flamboyant and creepy Vietnamese bar owner) and great performances by Williams, Forest Whitaker and Tung Thanh Tran as Tuan, especially.

I guess I should try to point out a flaw or two, right? It's good that I actually had to think really hard to discover a flaw in this film looking back at it, the only thing I remember is that some of the Vietnamese actors were hard to understand on the odd sentence, but maybe that's just me; and I think it does have a boring sequence or two, but they're really quite rare and didn't taint my general view of the film.

It's one great war comedy, and one of the finest I've seen. If you're a fan of Robin Williams, war films, great comedies, or are just a general movie-goer, check this one out. It's an enjoyable, funny and entertaining film experience. There's hardly a thing I regret seeing. Good Morning Vietnam is an extremely good late 80s comedy, and contains one of Williams' greatest improvisational perfomances.
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind 2004,  R)
Goon 2012,  R)
Office Space 1999,  R)
Office Space
Office Space
Release Date: February 19, 1999
Director: Mike Judge
Stars: Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman
Runtime: 89 min
Tagline: Work sucks.

Mike Judge is a really good comedy director.
Peter Gibbons has a job at Initech that's very repetitive and he loathes going there every day. After he is in the middle of hypnosis, the counselor has a heart attack and Peter becomes a whole different person, always slacking and pretty lazy. He and some friends eventually want to get back at their evil boss, Bill Lumbergh. This film follows their efforts and usually funny antics, and Peter's relationship with Joanna, his martial arts loving girlfriend. The film does have memorable charcters like Michael Bolton, Samir and his hard to pronounce last name, and especially Milton; and the film made the term 'ass clown' popular. Some of the characters are a little annoying, but I like a lot of them.
A lot of it is pretty funny, but not as funny as I expected it would be. Though, you can really relate to the film on a great level, who wouldn't want to get back at their superior?
It is sometimes pretty memorable, especially the show-stealing Milton, who is the funniest part of the film. It made me really like Stephen Root more than I did before.
The film is an above average comedy, but it wasn't as funny as I was hoping.
It stars Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman, Ajay Naidu, Diedrich Bader, Stephen Root, Gary Cole and John C. McGinley.
A usually funny film with cult status, it's relatable and has a great sense of realism, better than average and can be watched over and over, especially the scenes of the priceless Milton. Don't hide his stapler, folks.
Cape Fear 1991,  R)
Cape Fear
Cape Fear
Release Date: November 13, 1991
Director: Martin Scorsese
Stars: Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange
Runtime: 128 min
Tagline: The Bowden family has moved to New Essex.

It's a pretty good stalker film.
Max Cady is a convicted rapist, who just served a fourteen year sentence, and begins to stalk the family of the lawyer who originally defended him all of those years ago, Sam Bowden. At first the stalking starts off rather innocently, which gradually becomes more and more threatening. Bowden is a man with family problems, his relationship with his wife is distant and
his daughter Danielle can also be hard to communicate with; so all the stalking doesn't help.
I liked the film, but some of the pacing felt off at times. It was pretty interesting, and it uses the theme of revenge quite nicely; and it had a nice narrative when it was used. It's enjoyable, and I didn't really get bored.
There isn't a thrill a minute, but it can be very thrilling, and it sure is creepy. The most thrills are during the finalé on the river.
For a thriller it's relatively weak in some areas, but not the weakest I have ever seen, and it's still pretty enjoyable. I'm not sure how great of a remake it is as I haven't seen the original, but it was a pretty great film if it stood on its own.
For a Martin Scorsese film though, it is probably his weakest I've seen, but that doesn't by any means imply it's bad because he is such a great filmmaker. It has good direction and a great Oscar nominated leading performance by Robert De Niro. It doesn't have a great rewatchability factor, but I'd sure give the original a watch.
The film stars Robert De Niro, he really steals the show in this as the hideously creepy Cady, Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange, Juliette Lewis, Joe Don Baker, Illeana Douglas, Robert Mitchum (the original Max Cady) as Lieutenant Elgart, and Gregory Peck (the original Sam Bowden) as the lawyer Lee Heller.
It's a gripping and engaging film, often enough, and it sure is an efficient and a really great one-time thrill ride.

75/100
Mean Creek 2003,  R)
American Reunion 2012,  R)
American Reunion
American Reunion
Release Date: April 6, 2012
Director: Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg
Stars: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Seann William Scott
Runtime: 113 min
Tagline: Save the best piece for last.

The whole gang is back for a high school reunion after thirteen years.

*SPOILER ALERT, EXPLAINS SOME GAGS AND HAPPENINGS IN THE FILM*

Jim and Michelle are having marital problems and hope to resolve them over the weekend. Everyone else offers their same antics, Stifler's trying to make a name for himself in society, Kevin hopes Vicki still isn't hung up on him after all these years, Oz has a new sexy girlfriend but he's still after the one that
got away: Heather. Also, Finch has been travelling the world and isn't really hung up on Stifler's Mom anymore. Jim's Dad experiments with alcohol and drugs with Stifler's Mom, as a way to get out of the house after he's been widowed for a few years (what a beautiful way to get rid of a character if the actress doesn't want to be in the project, kill her off).

*END OF SPOILERS*

It's a little disappointing if you anticipate it for a long while, but if you don't really have expectations, it's a pretty good comedy. I liked most of it. Some of the antics are old, and some of the jokes are recycled from the first film and some you actually have to see that film to understand it.
I didn't care for a lot of the young cast, but the extended period of time the one young woman was topless; I didn't hate that at all.
Some of it's really predictable, but it's nice to see the whole gang back together. The MILF guys have drifted away from each other, and it's just the lone John Cho (MILF Guy #2) currently, and there's still the ongoing feud between Finch and Stifler, which is still pretty funny.
Some of it wasn't funny, but other stuff really was, but it did run a little long for a comedy of only mediocre quality. It would have been nice if Adam Herz (writer of the first three films) was more involved in the project. It's a pretty good film that revisits the original cast (it being the fourth film that goes to theaters and the eighth in the series if you count the straight to video
trash [with the exception of Band Camp, which was a little funny]). It's better than the second, in the range of the goodness of the third film, and is definitely better than the straight-to-DVD releases.
The cast is all much older, time does that; it stars Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nichols, Seann William Scott, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mena Suvari, Tara Reid (a minor part though), Katrina Bowden, John Cho, Jennifer Coolidge, Eugene Levy, Ali Cobrin, and small appearances by Natasha Lyonne and Shannon Elizabeth as Nadia.
It's a little memorable; I'd give the Unrated version a view and then maybe view the film again in a couple of years or so. It's a pretty tasty slice of pie that can really hit the spot. If you've seen the original series, watch it; but there are better comedies that you could watch for the year of 2012.

63/100
Clerks II 2006,  R)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2005,  PG-13)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
The crew of Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and the rest of the Hogwarts gang return for the fourth installment of the successful Harry Potter franchise.
Harry's fourth year is going to be an interesting one, because Hogwarts has the honour of holding The Triwizard Tournament. When Harry gets entered into the tournament by some unknown cause, he is tossed into one wicked adventure.
The fourth installment offers new characters, love interests, great direction, and the usualbeloved characters.
While the film offers great characters, great acting, actual comical moments and emotional moments, and great action, it also does have its share of mediocrely boring scenes, not very many though - which is good. Granted, I am writing this review after I've viewed the film a few times.
The film still is a wicked ride. It's not my favourite film in the franchise, but it still is very good.
Spy Kids 2001,  PG)
Cujo 1983,  R)
Cujo
It's a decent horror flick.
Cujo once was a really friendly family dog, who wouldn't hurt a fly... Until, he got bitten by a bat and contracted rabies.
The Trenton family are rather troubled, the father Vic (Daniel Hugh Kelly) works a lot, the mother Donna (Dee Wallace) is having an affair with a friend of the family, and Tad (Danny Pintauro) is a Daddy's boy who is afraid of monsters.
When Donna and Tad go to get their car battery changed, they have a run into Cujo; and from there, it's a race of survival.
It isn't my favourite Stephen King adaptation (that would probably be It or The Shining for the horror genre, for at least those of them that I have seen) but it is better than your average King flick.
It's predictable at times but there are some good scares packed in there.
It isn't amazing but it isn't a bad work of horror by any means.
Christine 1983,  R)
Christine
John Carpenter directs a pretty solid film here.
Christine is a pretty wrecked up red 1958 Plymouth that is a danger to everyone who drives it.
When a nerdy high school boy, Arnie Cunningham (Keith Gordon), stumbles upon a junkyard that holds an "officially" antique car that catches his attention. He automatically becomes attached to the vehicle, and really wants to fix it up to make it look pristine. The car starts to take up his life, affecting his social life, work life and family life.
The car has a mind of its own, and Arnie starts to adopt the nature of the car to reflect it, even going as far as dressing as a "greaser" would in the 1950s.
John Carpenter directs this film really well, and the acting is actually pretty decent for some unknowns.
The plot is great, and the suspense is really well built, and they are some thrilling scenes.
I don't think I'll ever want to buy a Plymouth after this flick. It's a decent Stephen King adaptation, that is a pretty well made and entertaining thriller.
The film also stars John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul, Robert Prosky and Harry Dean Stanton.
I can recommend it for horror and suspense lovers, and people who like a good Stephen King story.
Black Swan 2010,  R)
Black Swan
*May contain spoilers.*

Release Date: December 17, 2010
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Stars: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel
Runtime: 108 min

Black Swan is one of the best films of 2010.
Nina (Natalie Portman) is a delicate, ambitious young ballet dancer who really wants the lead in this season's production of "Swan Lake", as the magnificent Swan Queen. She is perfect for the role of the White Swan - the delicate Prince Odette - but soon loses her grasp of sanity as she becomes more and more like Odile, the Black Swan. Nina feels as if one of her co-workers, Lily (Mila Kunis), is trying to steal her part.
This is quite the achievement from director Darren Aronofsky (Requiem of a Dream), a brilliant, compelling, and quite interesting psychological thriller. I'm not one for ballet, but the overall film is truly grand.
The film also stars Vincent Cassel, Winona Ryder, Barbara Hershey. Portman definitely was the correct choice for that Best Actress Oscar.
I can't think of a better time that I had being disturbed by a film. It's a great film that might notbe for everyone and can be extremely graphic and explicit but it's a great cinematic experience that shouldn't be missed by people up for new and unique films.
Thinner 1996,  R)
Thinner
*Contains spoilers.*

Thinner
Release Date: October 25, 1996
Director: Tom Holland
Stars: Joe Mantegna, Robert John Burke, Lucinda Jenney
Runtime: 92 min

It isn't great, but it isn't that bad.
Billie Halleck (Robert John Burke) is an overweight (roughly 300 pounds) lawyer who has tried every diet there is, and none really work. One night, whilst getting sexual favour from his wife (Lucinda Jenney), he accidentally hit an old Gypsy woman. To cover up his misdeed, he gets his buddy cop and a judge to help cover it up. What he doesn't know is that the woman that he hit is the daughter of a chief of a band of Gypsies. After the old Gypsy sets a killing curse on Billie, which makes him lose weight at a rapid rate until he dies, he has to take matters into his own hands.
Some of the characters aren't that likeable, or memorable. The direction is pretty good, the acting is only okay. The plot Is really predictable and simple. I know it's supposed to be horror, but I can't remember one scare at all - but at times it can be disturbing.
It also isn't my favourite Stephen King adaptation, or a great one, but I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it.
American Pie 1999,  R)
American Pie
American Pie
Release Date: July 9, 1999
Director: Paul Weitz
Stars: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Alyson Hannigan
Tagline: Boy gets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets pie.

It's a pretty funny coming of age comedy.
Four high school boys enter a pact to lose their virginity by the end of prom night. Jim is the main guy in the group, doing things like trrying to get with a hot foreign girl Nadia, doing a nasty deed with an apple pie, and eventually finding something great in an unexpected girl. Oz is on the lacrosse team, and has his eye on the beautiful choir girl, Heather. Kevin has been dating Victoria for a while and hasn't had the most luck in the department of pleasuring her and is focused solely on losing his virginity to her. Finch is the sophisticated nice guy who has an infamous love interest by the end of the film. And Stifler is the the immature and hilarious jerk friend, who is the funniest in the film.
The whole story seems a little shallow for a coming-of-age comedy film, but it really can be funny. It has a great bunch of funny and memorable scenes, and very memorable characters.
It's a movie that can be watched a few times, as it's very funny, and the comedic tension between Finch and Stifler is always funny. Going to Band Camp would be a funny experience.
The film stars Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Chris Klein, Alyson Hannigan, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Shannon Elizabeth, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Tara Reid, Mena Suvari, Chris Owen as The Shermanator, Jennifer Coolidge as Stifler's Mom, and Eugene Levy as Jim's Dad.
It's a great start to a pretty awesome comedy franchise (with the exception of the pretty bad straight to DVD crap). It's the best slice of Pie in the series.

75/100
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back 2001,  R)
War of the Worlds 2005,  PG-13)
War of the Worlds
War of the Worlds
Release Date: June 29, 2005
Director: Steven Spielberg
Stars: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins
Runtime: 116 min

Steven Spielberg brings a modern retelling of H.G. Wells' classic War of the Worlds to the big screen.
The story follows one family's fight for survival after the Earth is attacked by alien tripod fighting machines.
The film has sweet special effects, the usual great direction from Spielberg, great acting and a pretty great story. The film was lacking in very much heart at parts, though. Spielberg did direct it well, but generally for a Spielberg movie, it definitely isn't his greatest.
It's a pretty sweet sci-fi thriller though, and is quite gripping at times.
The film also stars Justin Chatwin, Miranda Otto and Rick Gonzalez.
I never saw the original, so I wouldn't know if it's a good remake or not - without the original to affect my overall view of the film, it's a pretty solid science fiction flick.
It seems a little underrated by the user community.
Cellular 2004,  PG-13)
Cellular
Cellular
Release Date: September 10, 2004
Director: David R. Ellis
Stars: Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, Jason Statham
Runtime: 94 min
Tagline: If the signal dies so does she.

David R. Ellis directs this rather good thriller, as his second endeavor for the genre (after Final Destination 2).
Jessica Martin is a high school biology teacher who has just been kidnapped. And her husband and son might soon be in danger, and she has no idea why they're doing this to her. The only way she can save herself and her family is by trying to get someone on the line on a broken phone in the attic where she is being held. Once she gets hold of Ryan, an ordinary
and irresponsible young man, he is tossed into an extraordinary mission where he must stay on the line with her, in order to save her and her family.
The plot's simple enough, and a little average, it can get a little messy at times, but it always gets back on track; and the movie is often pretty predictable, but it's still a really enjoyable film.
It has a lot of great action sequences and many thrills and much intensity. I really enjoyed it all and the thrills start within the first five minutes of the film, so it really can be engaging.
It stars Kim Basinger, Chris Evans, Jason Statham, William H. Macy, and Jessica Biel.
It's one of the my favourite simpler thrillers, it really can be quite entertaining and has a few funny lines.
White Chicks 2004,  PG-13)
White Chicks
White Chicks
Release Date: June 23, 2004
Director: Keenen Ivory Wayans
Stars: Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans, Busy Phillips
Runtime: 109 min

The Wayans Brothers have made a name for themselves with their show The Wayans Bros., their films like LiTTLEMAN, Don't Be a Menace and the first two Scary Movie flicks.
In this flick, they are guys disguising themselves as women.
Marcus (Marlon Wayans) and Kevin (Shawn Wayans) Copeland are two FBI Agents that are put on a case, and their duty is to babysit two hotel heiresses, the unattractive and incredibly annoying Wilson sisters. The FBI believe they might get kidnapped, and when the sisters have a
mental breakdown - Marcus and Kevin have to go undercover as the sisters.
The plot substance is pretty bad, there's hardly any heart at, there are quite a few annoying characters and unattractive women trying to be hot, and it really gets ridiculous at times. Granted though, it can be pretty funny. It suffers from keeping complete comic momentum throughout the flick, but in the whole thing there's probably a really strong scene with funny jokes followed about seven to ten minutes of blandness. I really used to like this, but now that I view films as
more of a work of art - this flick is no Mona Lisa, but it still is pretty darn funny.
Terry Crews is the funniest in this flick. It also stars Jennifer Carpenter, Jaime King, Brittany Daniel, Terry Crews, John Heard and Lochlyn Munro. And the acting can get pretty brutal.
I guess you really can't expect gold from two of the writers of Scary Movie.
Though, the flick does have pretty large laughs and is a guilty pleasure film.
Orphan 2009,  R)
Orphan
This is definitely the best film I've seen from director Jaume Collet-Serra (the other two being Unknown and the House of Wax remake).
When a married couple with multiple problems lose a child in the womb, they set out for something to fill the missing part of their relationship at a local orphanage. They find Esther, and she seems like a really sweet little Russian girl. They bring her home and, eventually, bizarre and vicious occurances start happening, where Esther seems to always be there. Kate is the only one who seems to see Esther for sinister colours, and must expose her
before it's too late.
This movie is a rather orignal horror/thriller that has great twists and turns, and is a real treat for thriller and mystery lovers, as it brings something fresh to the genre. It has wicked suspense and is very creepy, and I liked it a lot. It's rarely ever boring, and can really keep your attention throughout (for a lot of it), and some scenes you can see some things coming (but rarely). It has some pretty great pacing, though. It really is carried along well enough by
some solid performances.
It can be really original, but some of its themes and even scenes were very reminiscent of The Good Son.
Though, even though how similar they seem to be, this film has more twists and turns and can be more complex, while Good Son had a simpler plot compared to this. It was better in many ways, and more entertaining. Esther (Orphan) was much creepier than Henry (T.G.S.).
I don't see why though that this family would need another daughter, I guess to fill the hole, but they already have enough problems on their hands, why add in a psychopathic child? Though, I love the film's ability to show the fear that the characters are feeling and other emotions, as well as some of the character's general ignorance.
This film stars Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, Isabelle Fuhrman as the show-stealing eerie and troubled Esther, CCH Pounder, Jimmy Bennett, Margo Martindale and Aryana Engineer.
If you expect a film that's thoroughly scary, you may not get it because there's only a few big scares, but it is an effective and chilling psychological thriller.
Orphan is just all thoroughly entertaining and it would be high up there on my list of favourite psychological horror/thrillers. Fans of horror films, creepy stories, mind games of a film, and good film twists, should really give this one a watch.

Check out the uncut version at: http://filmcraziest.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/orphan-a-film-review-by-daniel-prinn-an-effective-and-chilling-psychological-thriller/
Michael Clayton 2007,  R)
Fright Night 1985,  R)
Fright Night
Charley Brewster (William Ragsdale) is an ordinary high school teen with girlfriend problems, who gets put into an extraordinary nightmare when a new neighbour moves in next door, Jerry Dandrige (Chris Sarandon), and Charley suspects him of being a vampire. He must enlist the help of his girlfriend, Amy (Amanda Bearse), Evil Ed (Stephen Geoffreys) and the famous vampire slayer host of Fright Night, Peter Vincent (Rowdy McDowall) to expose Jerry for his true colours.

It's a very good vampire classic. The pacing of the film is really good, and the plot is quite awesome also. It's a horror comedy, but I really didn't see the comedy of it. There are some frightening scenes, but there's really more creepy and suspenseful scenes than anything. The performances are decent, the ones given by Chris Sarandon and Stephen Geoffreys stand out the most, though.

It is a stellar film. Horror lovers should really check this one out.
Project X 2012,  R)
Project X
Project X
Release Date: March 2, 2012
Director: Nima Nourizadeh
Stars: Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper, Jonathan Daniel Brown
Runtime: 88 min
Tagline: The Party You've Only Dreamed About

An extremely poor and stupid film that is used as commercialism for teen partying.
I'm one for the subgenre of "found footage" films, but when that format is used for a teen comedy, it gets a little silly. I like it for horror films and it even worked well for the disturbing super power film, Chronicle, but this just looks like a poorly made home movie. It's starting to be an excuse for amateur directors to make a film that ultimately looks sloppy, and Project X is Exhibit A.
So, the idiotic plot goes like this: a trio of high school boys (Thomas, Costa and J.B.) throw a party of a lifetime in an attempt to get themselves known. When word of the party spreads, more and more people show up and things begin to gradually get crazier.
For what it's supposed to be, a mindless party film with no attempt at character development and it just tries hard to convince the viewer that they're having a good time, it's good; but other than that, it's just pretty horrible. The plot is stupid, there's hardly any character development, the acting isn't very good, I really didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.
I don't really like to party (that being said, maybe I couldn't appreciate it as much as someone would if they actually did party), so I found it a little tiring to watch. It's worth one laugh-out-loud moment, a few chuckles here and there, and many topless girls dancing around, but that's really all that it's worth. It isn't exactly worth the eighty seven minutes and nineteen dollars I spent with the thing. To some, it's satisfying enough but to me it left me a little unsatisfied.
The characters of Superbad are revisited here (in ways): Thomas best represents Evan, Costa best represents Seth. The difference between these characters? Those of Superbad are well-developed, pretty likeable, and actually really funny; while these are annoying on a whole new level and can be painfully unfunny.
This film makes me think of a similar concept as watching sports on television, would you rather watch others having a wicked time partying like carefree teenagers at one great party, or actually have the good time yourself?
It's a simple little film for teenagers and young adults that a lot of people will enjoy (judging by its box office earnings, or be disappointed by, like me. It's too hyped up, and it couldn't give me the good time that it seemed to
promise. So just expect a simple film going into this, or just expect nothing and you might like it but you might not. If you're looking for Oscar gold or solid performances or solid character development or a game changing plot, avoid it.
Will this film stick out in my memory as a stupid party film that portrays just how ridiculous, insane and reckless my generation can be? Heck yeah!
The more important question: will it stick out in my memory as a great, ground breaking comedy that should be treasured? Not in this lifetime, Sugar Tits.
American Beauty 1999,  R)
Chill Factor 1999,  R)
50 First Dates 2004,  PG-13)
50 First Dates
50 First Dates
Release Date: February 13, 2004
Director: Peter Segal
Stars: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore, Rob Schneider
Runtime: 99 min
Tagline: Imagine having to win over the girl of your dreams... every friggin' day.

It's actually a pretty good romantic comedy, as far as the standards of Sandler films go.
Adam Sandler plays a ladies' man named Henry Roth, and wants to change his ways after meeting the wonderful Lucy. What he finds out the next day is that Lucy was in a terrible car accident, which gave her short-term memory loss, where her memories of the day get wiped clean when she wakes up the next morning. Now, Henry must make her fall in love with him
every day, if he wants her to stay in his life.
It's usually very cute, funny and sweet. It isn't a horrible plot at all, and has some great on-screen chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler.
It also stars Sean Astin, Blake Clark and Rob Schneider.
If you're a fan of Adam Sandler or romantic comedies, check it out. It isn't bad at all, and is really worth one or more watches.
Steel City 2005,  R)
Spider-Man 2 2004,  PG-13)
Spider-Man 3 2007,  PG-13)
The Hot Chick 2002,  PG-13)
Erin Brockovich 2000,  R)
Predators 2010,  R)
Sister Act 1992,  PG)
All Good Things 2010,  R)
World Trade Center 2006,  PG-13)
Final Destination 2 2003,  R)
Final Destination 3 2006,  R)
Dickie Roberts - Former Child Star 2003,  PG-13)
American Pie 2 2001,  R)
American Pie 2
American Pie 2
Release Date: August 10, 2001
Director: J.B. Rogers
Stars: Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Shannon Elizabeth
Runtime: 108 min
Tagline: It's time for a second helping.

It's not an excellent sequel.
The film is a mediocre comedy sequel that continues to display the antics of Jim and his friends, and Stifler, when they reunite after their first year of college and go to a vacation house for the summer to impress chicks.
It's decent enough for a sequel, but it is pretty predictable and really rather forgettable. Some of the gags are pretty funny, but others are a little tasteless and tired. I can't say I really loved it on a high level, but I didn't hate it that much, it did give me a few laughs, but I really can't remember what
they were. A good comedy to me is that one that's memorable and I can just chuckle by thinking back at it. This one, is not really one of those films.
The whole crew is back for this one and all the likeable characters, but at the odd time they can get a bit annoying.
Give it a watch if you liked the first one, it can be a moderately enjoyable time, it's satisfying enough; but there are funnier films out there.
Spy Kids 3-D - Game Over 2003,  PG)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe 2005,  PG)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Release Date: December 9, 2005
Director: Andrew Adamson
Stars: Tilda Swinton, Georgie Henley, William Moseley
Runtime: 143 min
Tagline: The beloved masterpiece comes to life December 9.

It's a pretty great fantasy children's and family film.
I wasn't aware that this was actually based upon a literary masterpiece until I saw the film, but I never read the book so I'm not sure how great of an adaptation this is, but I'd think it would be because this is a pretty sweet flick that children will enjoy and some older people.
The Pevensie children are relocated out into the England country to stay at a professor's mansion to protect them from the dangers of World War II. They are very unaware of the adventure they are about to encounter. When young Lucy finds a wardrobe, she enters it (and later all of the siblings) and finds a magical kingdom called Narnia. Narnia has been plunged into winter for years, as the citizens feel threatened by the White Witch. They learn of their destiny with the help of Aslan, a lion who is the rightful ruler of Narnia. They must restore peace to the kingdom of Narnia, and eventually enter a war between Aslan's army and the White Witch's army.
Some of it's moderately boring, and it's a little lengthy for a film that isn't completely incredible, but still is good. It's really a great fantasy film for children, though. I liked it for the most part, as it had some pretty good action sequences, the occasional fantastic moment, and the big war was pretty great (not Braveheart or 300 great, but as good as war scenes can be in a PG film).
It isn't in the same great franchise ranks as Harry Potter, but it's enjoyable for a watch (or two, but not necessarily 'desert island' movie status) and can be generally memorable. This is really the only film in the Narnia franchise I cared for on a moderately high level. Liam Neeson lending his majestic Irish voice to the character of Aslan was the film's real masterwork.
The film stars Tilda Swinton, Georgie Henley, William Moseley, Liam Neeson (voice of Aslan), James McAvoy, Jim Broadbent, Skandar Keynes and Anna Popplewell.
Many adults may enjoy it too, and if you have a kid with a running imagination, it might make a wholesome flick for a family movie night that surpasses two hours.

75/100
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 2012,  PG-13)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Release Date: February 17, 2012
Directors: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor
Stars: Nicolas Cage, Violante Placido, Ciarán Hinds

The Ghost Rider rides again in this not completely horrid, but not very good sequel.
Johnny Blaze is hiding away in a remote part of Europe in an attempt to keep his inner Rider
hidden away. When he's seeked out to help a boy from the Devil, and who's being chased after by a group of criminals, he has to decide whether to help or not. After some thought, he realizes that if he helps this child, he may be able to be rid of his curse for good.
While Blaze was much better in the first film, he still has some charisma; but he can get really silly. The film made me laugh a few times though. The characters got to be silly, and the acting wasn't very stellar (Cage and Hinds were the only mediocre ones).
I was able to get through the thing without getting bored, but sometimes I only had little interest for it. I like the character of Johnny Blaze, so that helped me get through it. I didn't really care for the plot, it seemed really average.
I respected the film for one thing though: its cinematography and film editing. I didn't exactly care for it, but it was refreshing to see something different.
The film stars Nicolas Cage, Violante Placido, Ciarán Hinds, Idris Elba, Johnny Whitworth and Fergus Riordan.
It isn't a very good film, but it isn't horrible; and it isn't a great sequel. I didn't really have any expectations for this film after all of the bad buzz, so in a way I was moderately satisfied.
The Prestige 2006,  PG-13)
Bridge to Terabithia 2007,  PG)
Psycho II 1983,  R)
Psycho II
It's actually pretty decent for a sequel.

Norman Bates has been hospitalized for the last twenty-two years and he returns home with hopes of fitting into society. Bates has made a friend in a young woman at the restaurant he got placed out for probation purposes; but his mother, and his crimes he once committed continue to haunt him.

Like I said, for a sequel it's pretty decent. It's near as eerie as the original, but ultimately not as effective. The decision to shoot it in colour was a poor choice; and they put in the legendary scene from the first, the shower scene, in the beginning (probably as a way to remind the audience a bit of what happened the first time around) and it's in black and white, but then it just turns to colour. It isn't as suspenseful. Granted, it made me pull up the covers up to my face unlike the first - but the film relies much more on pop-out scares.

Comparisons to the original Psycho aside, some of the scenes are kind of cool, but it feels poorly paced.

There's really not a point in the film where I was very bored, but all the suspenseful build-up just led to an ending that I didn't care for.

It's also a little messy in areas and at times and gets a bit so ridiculous at scenes where I was just thinking: What's going on?

It's a little poorly paced, the first two acts of the film are decent but it goes downhill near the third act.

The only thing that saved this film from being a complete failure was that Anthony Perkins reprised his role as Bates, and Vera Miles reprised her role as well.

I don't think I'll rush to it again anytime soon, or ever again really, but most of it was satisfying enough; good for a sequel but just average when it stands alone without any comparison.

For a film that was saved from a bin at Giant Tiger and one that I didn't necessarily have any expectations for it, it made for a moderately satisfying movie night.

Lovers of horror, check it out if you're interested, but if you do want to see it, you should check out the first before watching this; but if you haven't seen the first, it doesn't really have to be seen as it's just average.
Insomnia 2002,  R)
Road to Perdition 2002,  R)
The Girl Next Door 2004,  R)
American Wedding 2003,  R)
American Wedding
American Wedding
Release Date: August 1, 2003
Director: Jesse Dylan
Stars: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Seann William Scott
Runtime: 96 min
Tagline: Forever hold your piece.

It was a bit of an improvement compared to the franchise's second outing.
The crew is back (excluding the characters played by Chris Klein, Mena Suvari, Tara Reid and Natasha Lyonne, and a decent decision that was after the disastrous second film), and Jim and Michelle are getting married, and they've invited all of Jim's old pals and Michelle's little sister. Oh, and the unwanted Stifler makes a pretty comedic drop-in at the wedding party that he thinks is a graduation party. Some shenanigans that are played out include a bachelor party, Stifler mistakenly going to a gay bar, and Finch and Stifler switching roles (Finch becoming the Finchmeister, and Stifler becoming sophisticated) to win the affection of Michelle's little sister, Cadence.
I was more entertained by this film than the second, it's better; not by very much, but better.
A lot of the material was pretty fresh, I enjoyed it. It has more memorable scenes than the second, it's a decent comedy.
The really only notable stars that are added to the mix are January Jones and Eric Allan Kramer portraying a character called Bear, and he now plays the Dad on the Family channel show Good Luck Charlie, kind of an interesting thing that he went from a pretty vulgar and nude comedy like this to a family TV show.
If you liked the first and want to see a better film than the second, give it a watch.

63/100
Save the Last Dance 2001,  PG-13)
Save the Last Dance
For me, Save the Last Dance is just a chore to watch.

Sara (Julia Stiles) is a young Midwestern girl who has just been struck by tragedy. Her mother tried to speed to Sara's dance audition, only to die in a car accident. Due to this tragedy, Sara has lost all hope of pursuing her dreams as a dancer. She moves to Chicago to live with her father, and get away from that city. There, she meets Derek, a black teen with whom she soon confides in, and strikes up a relationship with; despite his semi-criminal past.

Save the Last Dance is a great story of hope, following one's dreams and trying to overcome racism. It well blends those themes with a stylish probably-done-before concept, that didn't really spark my interest at all. I did respect of its ability to blend the romance, the racism and the
dancing.

There definitely is a lot of drama in here, and I did enjoy some scenes. There just wasn't a lot of relatable material for me. A lot of the scenes are really predictable, also.
Monsters 2010,  R)
The Exorcist 1973,  R)
The Exorcist
William Peter Blatty adapts his own novel for the big screen with The Exorcist. This began all those poor exorcism flicks, and this stands out as the greatest and one of the scariest. There's a vast canvas of great characters, and Reagan stands out as one of the most frightening and funniest villains of all-time/the 1970's. She's such an innocent little girl, but she soon turns into the face of evil through the help of that demon. It certainly would have been scarier in its day, but it still is pretty frightening.
Ladder 49 2004,  PG-13)
Billy Madison 1995,  PG-13)
Toy Story 1995,  G)
Toy Story
A cowboy doll is profoundly threatened and jealous when a new spaceman figure supplants him as top toy in a boy's room.

Toy Story introduced us to the magnificent world of Pixar, and its awesome CGI-animation. It's a very cool concept that these toys come to life when Andy isn't in the room. It raises that philosophy of: Do your toys really stay still when you're out of the room, or do they mend relationships? It's something awesome to believe in for the kids of the 1990s. Both the concept and premise are very fresh, and very entertaining. The toys are awesome and the voices of Woody and Buzz Lightyear have become iconic.

Woody's jealousy of Buzz cues the start of a great adventure. It also begins a great Pixar trilogy, that is soon to become a saga.
Marnie 1964,  PG)
Marnie
I guess Hitchcock liked watching Hedren get attacked by birds so much, he just had to cast her in another flick. It's a good decision though, as she's a pretty good actress.

Marnie is a habitual kleptomaniac with multiple psychological problems (like an extremely odd fear of the colour red, thunder, and being touched) who has just picked a new town to hit. After she steals some money from the safe in a suspenseful scene, she gets caught by Mark, a wealthy man high up in the corporation, who marries Marnie in order to try to delve into her life and help her confront and resolve her psychological problems.

For a Hitchcock flick, it isn't as suspenseful as one would expect but nonetheless, it is extremely fascinating. It does have its fair share of suspenseful scenes, but they are quite far from each other, and it can be entertaining, but the best word to describe this flick is either interesting or fascinating.

I never got bored but it really was quite lengthy for not a completely entertaining ride.

Mark's obsession with Marnie and how he treated her like a caged animal was a little peculiar, I think he's aspiring to be a psychologist, but he really is a little troubled himself seemingly. It's actually a really good character study, and is pretty thought-provoking. It's a real treat for those movie-goers with an interest for the human mind. It's not a film I'll rush back to any time soon, or may even watch again, but it's a very intriguing one-time-experience that mostly kept me glued to the screen, and there's not anything I regret seeing. It could have been shorter in length and is probably one of Hitchcock's weakest films, but it really is interesting and isn't bad at all.
Some of the sets are extremely artificial in a very obvious way that made me criticize it, and that is probably one of its biggest flaws.

The film stars Tippi Hedren who delivers a really good performance, Sean Connery who delivers a great one, Diane Baker and Martin Gabel.

It's generally one of Hitchcock's weaker attempts, but it's a good experience that should be seen. Respecters of fascinating films, character studies, old time cinema and Hitchcock generally, should really check this one out. It really does blend aspects of romance, mystery, thrills and some suspense very well together, with some very fine leading performances and an interesting finale.
Nightwatch 1998,  R)
Agent Cody Banks 2003,  PG)
The Blair Witch Project 1999,  R)
Straw Dogs 1971,  R)
Straw Dogs
A young American and his English wife come to rural England and face increasingly vicious local harassment.

The original Straw Dogs makes the remake look like a tumbleweed (or a fart in the wind, if you prefer to think about it like that). It's one of those things that just blow through town, but no one really pays much attention to it. If the remake stood on its own, it's still sort of like a tumbleweed. The remake is surprisingly faithful, but its production value or general impression aren't nearly as good. Frankly, they're not good at all. They effectively took James Mardsen and made him eventually snap. For the remake, I would rather Steve Zahn. Still, I'd much rather see this little Dustin Hoffman crack like a boiling egg over a pan. He makes the script come to life so finely with his performance, and his performances in really any movie.

The highly controversial violent film Straw Dogs first brought the interesting concept of a man's breaking point to the screen. David Sumner's breaking point moments, for me at least, aren't nearly as good as Jack Torrance's of The Shining, but it's extremely memorable. At times, it is quite frightening and surprising because of the words that come out of this little nice guy's mouth. The finale is really one of the most memorable and violent in cinema history.
His breaking point is after his wife gets sexually assaulted (okay, this shouldn't be classified as a spoiler alert - this film is 41 years old). During that scene, the audience would feel nearly as violated as Amy herself. Oh, speaking of Amy, she is just about one of the most annoying, idiotic characters in history. She is quite irritating, and for irritating characters, she ranks up there with that chick from The Blair Witch Project.

This is a deeply thematic and pretty great piece of cinema. I didn't adore it, but I didn't really dislike it on any level. It's just great filmmaking. Also, it isn't perfect because it has its fair share of boring scenes. Here's a fair warning: Once this is seen, it cannot be unseen. It isn't horrifying, but it is quite violent and has the potential to leave a scar on the mind for the faint of heart. It certainly isn't for everyone.
The Omen 1976,  R)
The Omen
Robert and Katherine Thorn have it all, and he's the US Ambassador to Great Britain, when their own child isn't well, a priest approaches Robert with an idea of getting a healthy newborn whose mother had just died in childbirth. After they relocate to London, strange events - and ominous warnings of a priest - lead him to believe that his son is the face of evil.

The Omen isn't all that scary today, but it definitely was scarier when it was released. The idea that your son may be a little evil, admittedly, is a pretty scary one. And the fact that Robert really doesn't know who the child actually is, or the history behind him, makes it a little more eerie.

It isn't as scary as everyone seems to say it is, but the Evil Servant Nanny can be pretty creepy and a little off her rocker. The score makes it for an effective film atmosphere, and definitely does amp up the suspense. There aren't really any scares, but it can get pretty intenes.

The pacing isn't great because it's a little slow, but it eventually escalates to an okay ending. This one's quite anti-climactic, but as are two of the other Omen flicks.

Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, David Warner, Harvey Stephens, Billie Whitelaw, and Patrick Troughton star.

The Omen offers a pretty solid atmosphere with a nice concept and great score, but it doesn't have great pacing and has the tendency to get a little boring. It's the first and best one of the series, really the only really good one, that started up a horror series that was practically the same premise four times. Does that remind you of Paranormal Activity?
Jaws 1975,  PG)
Jaws
When a gigantic great white shark begins to menace the small island community of Amity, a police chief, a marine scientist and grizzled fisherman set out to stop it.

The only people who may not like it are owners of beaches. Jaws has certainly turned me off of swimming in oceans... I know, I know, they apparently don't kill a lot of humans every year; but they're still pretty scary. Maybe if the government sent some dentists under water to fix them big teeth, they wouldn't be as intimidating. Anyway, essentially, one's fear of the ocean is thanks to Bruce the Shark.

Jaws is exciting and drips (it's more like a waterfall) with suspense. There's a lot of great comedy in here and suspense to get your adrenaline going for the whole night.

Jaws, a film that's great for its amazing score by John Williams; amazing and comedic performances; great iconic lines; superb direction by Steven Spielberg; and the priviledge of being one the greatest summer blockbusters of all time.
Deliverance 1972,  R)
Deliverance
What if your river-rafting trip turned into a ride to hell like this one does?

Intent on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it's turned into one huge lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a river-rafting trip they'll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.
The character of Lewis is great because he is threatening, and nature-savvy. Ed is also a great character because he's pretty timid, and his story is of trying to overcome the odd dangers that face him, and getting over those damned shakes.

Finally, after seeing this I understand whenever someone references Deliverance. There's some very dark scenes here and there, and the pacing is great. Near the beginning, one might want something to happen. There's many memorable scenes: the opening comedic voice-over to that banjo duel between Drew and that little kid; it gets more enjoyable as it goes along. The characters are great and the acting is great. I really enjoy the story, too. This is a great river-rafting adventure that make the water seem quite, quite dangerous.
The Usual Suspects 1995,  R)
Saving Private Ryan 1998,  R)
Mr. Deeds 2002,  PG-13)
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle 2004,  R)
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay 2008,  R)
The Benchwarmers 2006,  PG-13)
Drive 2011,  R)
The Sandlot 1993,  PG)
Freaky Friday 2003,  PG)
Let the Right One In 2008,  R)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2011,  PG-13)
Carnage 2011,  R)
Shame 2011,  NC-17)
Beerfest 2006,  R)
Super 8 2011,  PG-13)
Phone Booth 2003,  R)
One Hour Photo 2002,  R)
Bernie 2012,  PG-13)
Million Dollar Baby 2004,  PG-13)
Damien: Omen II 1978,  R)
Damien: Omen II
Damien is now thirteen and spending his time now with his cousin at a military school. He eventually learns of his actual destiny by more disciples of Satan. Meanwhile, dark forces begin to eliminate those who may pose a threat to Damien's rise of power.

This is a pretty good sequel actually, not great, but pretty good. It's better than a sequel like Halloween II or something.

The pacing is definitely quicker than the first, and the kills are actually pretty good. Some are boring, but the pleasantly gruesome ones outweigh the bad.

The acting for this series is still horrid, but the great score by Jerry Goldsmith is borrowed from the first, which helps its fairly pleasant effectiveness.

It's practically that same premise from the first, and don't forget that the Omen series has never known the physical meaning of the word "climax" which can get quite irritating. This series is a prime example of why sometimes the ending isn't the best part (but at least this one tries to be edgy, but in a pretty lame way).

William Holden, Lee Grant, Jonathan Scott-Taylor, Robert Foxworth, Nicholas Pryor, Lew Ayres and Sylvia Sidney headline Damien: Omen II.

This is pretty good for a sequel, but it still isn't anything special. It doesn't offer anything groundbreaking, but at least the film isn't mind-numbing. Even though this wasn't scary at all, and at times I forgot that it was trying to be a horror film. At least it still has that great and effective score.
The Muppets 2011,  PG)
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D 2011,  PG)
There's Something About Mary 1998,  R)
Omen III: The Final Conflict 1981,  R)
Omen III: The Final Conflict
This is just about the most boring "horror" movie I've ever seen.

The now adult Antichrist plots to eliminate his future divine opponent while a cabal of monks plot to stop him.

Apparently, Goldsmith's great original score was used but I can't remember a time that it was actually effectively used.

This one tries to convince the viewer that it has a fast pace, but the kills are about as boring as watching grass grow. I know, I know, it's a little harsh. So I'd like to apologize for offending grass so deeply.

The plot just gets ridiculous, and I absolutely hated the only climax in the series. Is this really supposed to be a horror film?

The ultimate question is raised for this film: Who's a disciple of Satan and who isn't? Are you, the reader, a disciple? Are your parents? Go ask them. I think everyone was a disciple here, but they just had to be brainwashed to do it.

Damien's still psychopathic and wanting to taste power more than ever now, but he isn't portrayed very well. Okay, okay it isn't all Neill's fault! He was not given good dialogue, good emotions to portray, or really anything good to go along with, for that matter. He was given a flaming pile of dog shit on a silver platter, with a paycheck wreaking of desperation beside it.

This is about the most boring horror film I've ever seen, maybe even the most boring film of all time. My mother and I both got tired simultaneously, and we thought it was just because it was late. We took our own twenty minute naps. And then we returned to the film, completely rejuvinated. Yet suddenly, we felt tired again! What's up with that? We both reached a verdict: It's the movie that's making us tired, it's boring as anything.

The ending was just odd. The acting was horrid, the number of redeeming qualities is a small list. The score, where I forget where it was used, is often good. There was one effective scare, but probably because it was stranger than anything. Also, some of the mystery was a little good.

This one left me thinking one thing: What in the name of all that is holy, did I just experience? Don't see it. Even if you want to watch all the films of the series, don't watch it. Save yourself the agony, and just read the synopsis of it or something.
Cloverfield 2008,  PG-13)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off 1986,  PG-13)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
How many of you guys felt you really needed a day off from school, or work, this week? Ferris is just one of those people, who has the courage to constantly do it.

Ferris Bueller is a wise-talking high school senior, who the student body thinks is just this one "righteous dude." Bueller's a guy who really knows the value of a day off. After making his parents believe he was sick, Bueller gathers his constantly nervous friend, Cameron (Alan Ruck); and his younger girlfriend, Sloane (Mia Sara) for a day out on the downtown Chicago area, whilst ditching school. With the access to a ricked red Ferrari that belongs to Cameron's father, they have the whole day ahead of them, despite the situations and comedic antics they get themselves into. All the while, both Principal Ed Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) and Ferris' sister, Jeanie
(Jennifer Grey) are both determined to catch Ferris for ditching class and to expose him for the not-so-sick boy everyone thinks he is.

John Hughes penned this great script in just six days; but it can't get any better. The elements of comedy and some drama are blended very well, and it has many great scenes.

The characters are great here and there are some great scenes of characters finding their place in the world, having changes of heart and learning how to take a stand.

The characters are all easily relatable (and well-cast), despite some of them having some annoying aspects to them. Jeanie in specific, but she's just having a hard time because she feels like an outcast and all of the attention is always on Ferris; so she's easily excusable because everyone may feel overlooked from time to time. Ferris is relateable because everyone tends to
have a rebellious side to them, and he just really knows how to have a good time. Cameron for me is quite relatable because I also tend to be constantly nervous and worrying, and Cam is one of the funniest characters in the flick, and is played very well by Alan Ruck. Sloane is the least relatable, but she is decent and pretty funny. Rooney is fairly relateable, because we all know the feeling of needing to catch one's mortal enemy.

I only wish Rooney's secretary, Grace, was in the film more - she is absolutely hilarious.

The flaws of the film are limited because there's an even share of laughs and some drama, and it is all quite well-paced. The only flaw I can think of is sometimes it gets really ridiculous, and the [Ferris'] parents are just so stupid. Also, the antagonists here are quite a few, but don't make the film completely crowded - Rooney's the obvious one, Jeanie's cries for attention and need to bust her brother (that's so Candice on Phineas and Ferb), and the danger of Ferris and co. running into his parents, but what's a film without a little danger and risk? Cameron's skepticism and nerves often can be annoying, but he's good to provoke more conflict that way.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off offers a memorable story and many memorable characters, scenes, musical numbers, and a great feel-good experience that you want to experience over and over.

John Hughes is the only one who can create such great chemistry between this ensemble. There's big laughs to be had and messages to be cherished, F.B.D.O. is Hughes entertainment at a fantastic peak. It's really just a must-see for anyone, a great and entertaining [Hughes] teen
comedy.
The Forgotten 2004,  PG-13)
Hop 2011,  PG)
Omen IV - The Awakening 1991,  Unrated)
The Strangers 2008,  R)
White Squall 1996,  PG-13)
Terry 2005,  Unrated)
Taken 2008,  PG-13)
Kick-Ass 2010,  R)
Kindergarten Cop 1990,  PG-13)
Winter's Bone 2010,  R)
House at the End of the Street 2012,  PG-13)
House at the End of the Street
It saddens me that my favourite part of this was the Argo trailer before the movie...

Elissa (Jennifer Lawrence) and her mother Sarah (Elisabeth Shue) have just moved out to the country. They are able to rent their home for such a low price because of the gruesome events that took place four years ago down the street. A small girl, Carrie-Anne, killed her parents in the middle of the night and it is believed she later drowned that evening, but her body was never recovered. The surviving son, Ryan (Max Thieriot), still lives in the house as a way to hold onto a memory of his parents. He was actually at a senile Aunt's house during the time of the murders. Elissa soon strikes up a relationship with Ryan, and learns that the local horror story is far from over.

I liked the concept, but at times it really just bore me and lost my attention. Jennifer Lawrence is good in her role, as much as she can be for a horror film. The performances aren't that special, but some characters are effectively creepy.

The execution of the film is poor and it feels dragged out in some spots. The scares are pretty good, but some are far between. The character of Ryan is pretty interesting, he's living at a house where his parents were murdered as a way to hold onto them - despite the actual horrific memory it really is. His character is nonetheless well developed, even though some questions for his character are unanswered by the end of it all. His character is really the only one they spent a lot of time developing, so all of the others were pretty forgettable. Especially Lawrence's character, she's just another dumb horror girl protagonist.

The country setting was pretty nice, but average for the whole local town legend horror killer story type-thing. It was actually filmed here in my hometown of Ottawa, Ontario, but it really didn't look like it. It's sort of cool either way.

The twist was pretty good, what's a good horror movie without a decent twist? The twist is pretty pleasant and shocking at the time, but as the film drags on, it just gets more and more ridiculous. It does make for a fairly memorable ending though.

The camerawork really felt eye-straining in areas. Especially when some of the shots were seen from the point of view of one of the primary characters - the visuals really hurt my eyes and the colors and the shakiness of the camera were really quite irritating. I mean it was unique camerawork in some areas, but all of it didn't exactly work out in the film's favour.

Lawrence's character really does all of the things you're not supposed to do in a horror movie, but really which horror protagonist doesn't? They're written to be stupid so they can lengthen the film and torture me even more!

I give props to Jonathan Mostow for coming up with the cool story, but David Loucka didn't write the best screenplay I've seen.

Jennifer Lawrence, Elisabeth Shue, Max Thieriot, Gil Bellows, Eva Link, Allie MacDonald and Nolan Gerard Funk star in this film. Oh, and Joy Tanner, the mother from that Family channel show Life with Derek.

House at the End of the Street (boy, that's a mouthful) is a great concept and story that got butchered with a poor screenplay and lousy execution. The twist is pleasant and lame, and the film overstayed its welcome for me. The whole visuals and trying-to-scare-you-but-it-doesn't-really-work situations made it lame in some areas. Watch it if you're really interested. It's generally a decent horror experience that doesn't offer a lot of memorable material, so you won't miss much of any cinema chatter if you skip this one.
Mr. Popper's Penguins 2011,  PG)
The Dark Knight Rises 2012,  PG-13)
Silent House 2012,  R)
Taxi Driver 1976,  R)
Taxi Driver
I really wanted to enjoy this more than I actually did.

Don't get me wrong, it's a piece of great cinema. The set direction, actual direction, cinematography, acting and writing are all great. It was just a little slowly paced. I didn't dislike it, but I wouldn't necessarily want to watch the whole thing again. Maybe if someone enlightened me with its cultural meaning or purpose, I'll give it another shot with a different perspective. The message that I take from this is the streets of New York can be a very dark, corrupt and violent place. Especially when Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro) is around.

The character of Travis Bickle does fascinate me, and he is beautifully portrayed by the great Robert De Niro. It is sort of a great character study. I love the psychopathy of his character. He is obviously very unstable.

The ending is a great pay-off for me. The great direction by Scorsese is great, and the highlight of the film is definitely the finale and De Niro's "Are you talkin' to me?" monologue.

I wouldn't necessarily rush back to it, but I wouldn't be completely against watching it again. Bickle is worth the watch, and he is a great character filled with many layers. It's a movie that I may have not particularly love, but you might like it - so check it out.
Trading Places 1983,  R)
Trading Places
Trading Places is a great cult film and the ultimate social satire film of 1983. Who would have thought a premise so silly could be so hilarious? Dan Aykroyd's character is a pompous jerk, but he lightens up as the film goes on, and as he is introduced to the life of just getting by. And Eddie Murphy's character, the hilarious street small-time thief, gets his limousine and nice mansion and butler. All for a bet two pompous higher-up idiots made. When the amount is revealed, it's hilarious. Eddie Murphy gives a fine majority of the laughs, he's great in this. The best scene is on the train, that's just hilarious. And then Jim Belushi shows up and it gets even funnier. Also, I love any film where I get to see the Scream Queen naked.
Looper 2012,  R)
Looper
Johnson brings us action, and science fiction, moviegoers one heck of a unique ride.
It is the year 2042, where time travel hasn't been invented quite yet. Thirty years in the future, though, it has been - and criminals send back people they no longer want to deal with. They send them back illegally to a group called 'Loopers', where a Looper awaits the victim with a gun. Joe is one of the best Looper's there is, despite his drug problem. One day, Joe's future
victim turns out to be his future self. In turn, it puts both Joe's on the run from their once trusted group.
Looper offers a fairly unique experience, and a lot of great action sequences. The character development is pretty awesome, too. It's a fairly awesome story that can drag on in areas, but is still quite enjoyable.
There isn't a lot of material that has been done before. This time travel story is fresh and unique. There are a lot of moral dilemmas thrown into the screenplay, so that makes for really good character development. Jeff Daniels' character of Abe was sort of awesome; he had the
whole nice-crime-boss-who-could-be-ruthless-when-he-wanted-to-be bravado going on. Some of the subplots are a little tired and not explored quite enough.
The performances from the cast are really good, and the whole thing is easily enjoyable and entertaining. Bruce Willis definitely brings his great badass-ness to the feature. Looper brings together elements of great action, science fiction because of the time travel concept, thrilling moments, and there are even a few laughs to be offered.
Even some of the supporting actors did well, like Paul Dano as Seth, Noah Segan as Kid Blue and Pierce Gagnon as the cute child, Cid. The numerous antagonists tended to make some parts of the screenplay a little crowded. It is a film that has a cool concept and it executed itself quite well. That's admirable because a lot of films have cool concepts, but wasted the
opportunity - like Clockstoppers, for example.
Looper stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt (with some really cool makeup on to make him look like a younger Willis), Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Noah Segan, Piper Perabo, Jeff Daniels, Pierce Gagnon, Qing Xu and Garret Dillahunt.
Looper offers quite an action experience that should be cherished because of its unique entertainment value, along with a memorable story and characters. It is one of the finest action films of the year thus far, and the only other great action film so far this year that is nearly as good as this is The Dark Knight Rises. Looper may be flawed because of its crowded areas, numerous antagonists and sometimes lack of non-stop carnage. It really can be quite easy to follow despite one scene, but I was back on track in a hurry. I thought that was impressive because it seems like a concept that could easily confuse if it got much too complex. The concept is intelligent,
and it doesn't aspire to be any smarter than it has the rite to be. Its action sequences are extremely memorable, and don't drag on too long. It's a flawed film that nonetheless offers one of the most entertaining action experiences of the year.
Donnie Darko 2001,  R)
Donnie Darko
The atmosphere of Donnie Darko is unique and often chilling. Donnie is a very troubled character that gets plagued by visions of a large eerie bunny that tells him the world is going to end soon. It's a very, very original story that may require a second viewing. It's sometimes hard to follow, but it's an easy atmosphere to love. Time travel gets mixed into this and it's really interesting. The performances are pretty good, Jena Malone is a stand-out and Gyllenhaal plays his part well. He is required to look spaced-out the whole film, and he just does that. This is a great drama/mystery from Richard Kelly. It's really a shame that this was a box office bomb. I guess it's not a good idea to release a film that involves a plane crashing into a house only a month and a bit after 9/11...
Drive Angry 2011,  R)
The Book of Eli 2010,  R)
The 'Burbs 1999,  PG)
The 'Burbs
It's sort of a cult classic for some, but it doesn't feel like one to me

The jokes are very hit-and-miss; you might find it funny, but it really depends on your preferred brand of comedy

I never found myself absorbed in this, and I just couldn't wait for it to end

It's very stupid, but at times it's sort of funny

There's comedic mock screaming that's supposed to be funny, but it really isn't

The score is sort of effective

The apparent cannibal neighbours look more like lumberjacks. Regardless, they're quite eerie.

It feels like a lame ass rehash of Fright Night, but instead of vampires there's cannibals, and there's a larger emphasis on comedy

The set design of Klopek's house is pretty effective, and pretty eerie

Bruce Dern is given the best character and he is given the funniest lines, and he has some great comic delivery. Tom Hanks has some good lines, too

Apparently, the cinematographer couldn't decide on how to film this feature. It's sort of like this: let's zoom in! No, no, no, let's zoom out! Oh you know what? Let's just zoom back in.
Take Shelter 2011,  R)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower 2012,  PG-13)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Not any writer has quite analyzed teen angst as well as John Hughes, but Chbosky comes pretty close.

* Alternate opening hook: And some people said Project X was a good teen film, anyone can take a Super 8 camera and film garbage, but not everyone can create something quite as beautiful as this.

Meet Charlie (Logan Lerman), a young freshman outsider who has to deal with his own inner demons of the past, depression, and loneliness, and the death of his best friend. Charlie is extremely nervous for his first day of high school, and doesn't want any old nice teacher to be the only friend he makes. He encounters two fellow outcasts, Sam (Emma Watson) and her hysterical step brother Patrick (Ezra Miller). They take him under their wings, show him lessons of love, pain, friendship, belonging, and overcome being a complete wallflower.

Stephen Chbosky directs, and adapts his own novel for the big screen. And he does it quite well. The cast really fits each character, and their performances are awesome for such a young cast.

There are some really cool visuals, like when one of the main characters is on drugs. The writing is brilliant through and through. One can sense that The Perks of Being a Wallflower is set in the 1990s (according to the film's IMDb trivia page, it's set during the 1991-92 school year) because of all the vinyl records, wardrobe, mix tapes and not CDs, the typewriter (some of you may not have even heard of this stuff..)and the older music. This film is a perfect example of a film that offers a great atmosphere, and it's one that the viewer can really fall head over heels in love with.

For the majority of people - and high schoolers especially - it's a film that is very easy to relate to - everyone feels out of place at some point in their lives, don't they? A lot of the characters are easily relatable; and they are all substantially, and utterly effectively, developed. They all have great depth, and each have some sort of inner demons. When Charlie finally shakes off his inner cloak [feeling] of invisibility (I don't think it's a spoiler, it's obvious he would - and I just had to do the Harry Potter pun), it's enough to fill you with happiness. Just remember though, these loner kids have dreams too, just like you or me. There is a great sense of poignancy, and can easily cause the viewer to get choked up in several areas because of sensitive subjects. The poignancy is large, and the comedy is also hysterical. The funniest character is definitely Patrick. There's a lot of romance mixed in, Logan Lerman's character was kissing people left, right and centre. The mix of genres is beautiful, and the film can definitely make the viewer feel extremely emotional at one point, and fall-off-their-chair-laughing at the next minute. That is always an aspect of films that I truly admire.

The depiction of the high school world feels a little off, because I know I've never seen a high school quite so brutal. Granted, the majority of high school films depict it in that fashion, so I can't hold it against this film for following that cliché.

The three primary actors were extremely impressive, Logan Lerman proved he's an incredible actor; Emma Watson proved she's destined for greatness (like you couldn't already tell, she has great star power); and Ezra Miller proved that he's a diverse actor that can take on a great list of roles, from the terrifying Kevin in We Need to Talk About Kevin, to a flamboyant character like Patrick.

Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, Dylan McDermott, Kate Walsh, Johnny Simmons, Nina Dobrev, Mae Whitman, Erin Wilhelmi, Melanie Lynskey, Paul Rudd and Joan Cusack star in this film.

The profound, and unique, analysis of teenage angst is accurate, brilliantly touching, and heartbreakingly poignant. Thinking back, there isn't a flaw visible in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The performances are great, the story is awesome, and the atmosphere it offers is perfect. It has a cool use of visuals and flashbacks when they are there. It also has a nice use of voice-over narration from Charlie in some scenes. This is a film that I didn't want to end, and I can't wait to watch it again (and I didn't even mind being choked up half the freaking time!). That's one heck of a definition for an enjoyable experience. It's one of my favourite experiences and atmospheres of 2012 - it's a must-see. It's a fine classic of 2012 that can define a generation as well as John Hughes could.

It deserves to be seen; so get off the couch, grab a few friends - but if you don't have any, it's okay to be a wallflower* - and go see this movie!

*For those of you who do not know, a wallflower is just slang for a loner. I certainly didn't know what it meant before I saw this, so hopefully this may be helpful information.
Argo 2012,  R)
Argo
Argo is one of the best films of 2012.

Argo tells the story of the Iranian revolution, and hostage situations that were involved with it. On November 4, 1979, the Iranian revolution reached its boiling point, the U.S. Embassy in Tehran was stormed by militants, and Americans were taken hostage. During this revolution, six American citizens manage to escape and find refuge in the home of the Canadian ambassador. It was only a matter of time before the citizens' cover was blown, or they were rescued. A CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) specialist, Tony Mendez (Ben Affleck), concocted the best bad idea the CIA had to rescue the citizens, and get them out of the country with their lives.

This was a covert operation that wasn't known to the public eye until the 1990s. The story is amazing, and extremely memorable. This story was back in 1979 and 1980, so it definitely makes for an early 80s atmosphere. It's nice that this revolution gets revisited, it brings knowledge of something that happened a fairly long time ago. The impact it had on the world at the time seems large, but, apparently, not large enough for me to hear of it in this day and age.

It's sort of fascinating how Affleck made it feel more like the 80s, and he did it in quite the innovative way: according to IMDb, he shot it on regular film, cut the frames in half and blew those images up to 200% to increase their graininess. The viewer can also tell that they're in for an older styled atmosphere because of the old Warner Bros logo which was to match the time of the 80s.

Ben Affleck's pure Hollywood acting career may be dust in the wind (or at least starting to feel a bit like that) but his directing career isn't going South anytime soon. He has a real knack for making great and memorable films.

It's an extremely thrilling and captivating film experience, and is the most riveting film of 2012 thus far.

There are history and politics thrown in here, but politics only crossed my mind a few times. It feels more like a great CIA rescue mission more than anything else. It's intense and there's some great comedy thrown in there. There's one great joke that gets used a few times, but doesn't get overused because it's thrown at you at times you least expect it.

The rescue mission is a great gamble, because Affleck's character is both risking his life and theirs.

The characters are fine, because they are real and none feel expendable at all. Affleck's character has a son and a wife; and some of the Americans stuck at the Canadian Ambassador's house are married. Each actor and actress wonderfully capture emotions of stress, anxiety and intense worry.

One of the most captivating things about Argo is the boiling suspense of the situation, and the viewer can just feel it build throughout. It also really is quite nerve-racking.The pacing is great, and it doesn't feel slow in a lot of places. There are a lot of memorable scenes, and then others just build up the plot. There aren't any bad scenes, though, so that's great. Argo sort of plays out like an assassin giving you his first choke-hold, he's inexperienced and you may feel the grip loosening from time to time, but then it strengthens again and doesn't let go until the very end.

Something that annoyed me is the odd time when there wasn't any subtitles when the Iranians spoke their language (Farsi, maybe?). Still, you can tell the emotions that they are feeling, so I guess it doesn't matter very much, now that I think it over more.

The use of old footage really interested me some. It worked into the film well and didn't feel out of place at all.

The film does live up to its hype, and to its trailer. The use of Aerosmith's song Dream On, was extremely effective and amped it up about ten times as much. I wish they didn't use some of the film's best lines in the trailer. Yet again, studios do that a lot. They still were great when I heard them during the film though.

Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan, Clea DuVall, Scoot McNairy, Rory Cochrane, Christopher Denham, Kerry Bishé, Kyle Chandler, Chris Messina, Zeljko Ivanek and Titus Welliver make up this great cast.

Argo offers an incredible true story, a lot of fine action, and a lot of great suspenseful scenes. It's one of the most riveting films of 2012, and definitely the most intense. The direction, acting, story, the amount of memorable scenes are all great. It's such an impressive piece of cinema, and will be a real contender at the Oscars this year.
In Bruges 2008,  R)
Seven Psychopaths 2012,  R)
Seven Psychopaths
Marty (Colin Farrell) is a struggling writer trying to write up a screenplay entitled 'Seven Psychopaths'. He doesn't really know how to start it out, and is struggling to find inspiration. His friend Billy (Sam Rockwell) tries to offer him some inspiration, despite constantly accusing him of being an alcoholic. Marty soon becomes entangled in the Los Angeles criminal underworld, much to his dislike, after his oddball friends kidnap a gangster's (Woody Harrelson) prized Shih Tzu.

The screenplay is smart and fun.

The plot is great and the film is just a fun experience. The pacing can feel a little off, and the plot can get quite ridiculous, but that's what makes it fun.

If there's any message I would have taken from this is that McDonagh makes great and original films, and his humour can sometimes be similar to that of Quentin Tarantino. The film is fun and can get a little crazy, but who could have thought up a plot so ridiculous? There is a lot of humour found in the most intense of situations, and I love that.

One of the funniest things about this film is all this carnage was started over a little Shih Tzu. Nope, not a wife, not a bunch of stolen cocaine, not the kidnapping of a best friend (even though a dog can be a man's best friend) or anything like that - but a freaking Shih Tzu dog named Bonnie.

I love the characters. Even Harrelson, who is the main antagonist, is a great character. Who thought psychopaths can absolutely be this lovable and hysterical? My favourite character would be a hard answer to give. The female psychopaths (played by Abbie Cornish and Olga Kurylenko) would be out first, because they hardly have a lot of lines of dialogue at all. Tom Waits' character of Zachariah is hysterical. Of the main protagonists, Billy (Sam Rockwell) would be the funniest, and then Hans (Christopher Walken). Generally, Charlie (Woody Harrelson) is my favourite, because he is just hysterical. Each character is well-developed.

For those of you who may have seen McDonagh's In Bruges, will be familiar with his certain sense of humour, and you may also know that his films have the tendency to get extremely gruesome. There is gore left right and centre in this film, but for anybody who likes that sort of stuff - will be probably love this.

The film offers a laugh at least every two minutes, and its spikes of crime and violence are great. Some of the time there are flashbacks and stuff which are good, and there are also movie-within-a-movie subplots which are effective. The moods set for this film is great, and all the subplots and general plot are extremely clever.

Seven Psychopaths stars Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Olga Kurylenko, Tom Waits, Abbie Cornish and Zeljko Ivanek.

Seven Psychopaths is a clever screenplay that can have some poor pacing, and offers a fairly simple, ridiculous, yet clever plot; but, it is another winner from writer/directer Martin McDonagh. It can be equal parts brutal, clever and hysterical. It is most of all extremely memorable, has great characters and a very good cast. Each cast member portrays their characters well. This is yet another 2012 film (I'm talking about Ted or 21 Jump Street, not Project X) that proves that this is a year to beat for comedies. and this may just have to get an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay.
The Social Network 2010,  PG-13)
Fatal Attraction 1987,  R)
Fatal Attraction
Fatal Attraction is quite atmospheric, and starts slowly, but builds to a great climax.

Dan Gallagher is an attorney, and when he has an affair with his colleague Alex, his life turns into a living hell. Alex won't let go of Dan just so easily, because she's a derranged psychopath who thinks that what they share is legitimate love. She begins to stalk him and his family, and her actions begin to beoome more and more drastic.

Glenn Close is effectively chilling, and rather disturbing. Some of the build-up is pretty slow, but it just gets better and better.

Fatal Attraction is really pretty rather original.

It is one of the greatest stalker films of all time, but I don't really want to say anything else about it.
Pitch Perfect 2012,  PG-13)
Pitch Perfect
TV Director Jason Moore (Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill) brings his talent to the big screen with Pitch Perfect, a great music comedy.

Beca (Anna Kendrick) is an aspiring Disc Jockey, who gets forced by her father to attend college before following her dreams in Los Angeles. She ends up attending Barden University, where she soon joins the school's all-girl a capella singing group, The Bellas. She knows that they sound beautiful together, but the (ever-so A-ca-clichéd) leader of the group, Aubrey (Anna Camp), doesn't like to stray away from her set design, or really try anything new for that matter. Beca just may be the one to change the Bellas for the better by adding energy and pizaz to the group, help them out in the competition, and make a few friendships in the process.

Going into this film, I really didn't know what to expect. It seemed that it had pretty sweet reception, so I guess I expected it to be a little good. It's probably one of the last films I'd see in theatres right about now, but I saw it. And you know what, I enjoyed it a little more than I'd like to admit. It's actually rather fun, and the hot girls help a lot, too.

In the cinema world, this is all fairly original. It's a lot predictable, but that doesn't keep it from being enjoyable. The pay-off is pretty great. The same premise of all those competitive dance and cheerleading films is offered here. So, in that way, it feels like the atmosphere of some Bring it On flick. The romance part of it all is offered, too. It isn't exactly the most original atmosphere, because we've felt it all before. What sets this film apart is that it isn't dancing or cheerleading (obviously), it's singing. And I can't really recall another film that the premise was a singing competition.* I say in the cinema world, that's a pretty darn original concept; but in the general popular cultural world, this feels reminiscent of TV's Glee. That's just all the music and stuff, but this does have the tendency to feel fairly fresh and new.

*Side Note: Can you guys?

The music is really great, and a soundtrack that would be really cool to add to a collection of any sort. There's a nice mash of rock and pop and rap, and practically whatever else. There's catchy tunes of all sorts, which really makes the film lots of fun.

The only flaws that were presented is that it could just get really predictable, and in some scenes I just felt a little worn out.

I usually really hate boy bands, but the main rival singing group of the Bellas, The Trouble Makers, is actually pretty good.

All of the characters are actually rather good and mostly likeable. Beca is really reserved, so when she breaks out of her tender shell, it's great. Some are really annoying, but in the end, a lot of them have changes of heart. I liked the characters, and I could only count the ones that I didn't like on one hand. There are scene stealers all over the place. Without surprise, Rebel Wilson's Fat Amy is the largest (oops, no pun intended) scene stealer, and she brings that same comedic timing as she did in Bridesmaids. You're going to be have to be with a name like that, anyway. Some other scene stealers include Lilly, the quiet Asian girl whose eyes make her look a little like that really creepy chick from the trailers of Frankenweenie. Also, the surprise appearance by Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad) and his character's larger friend, Justin, just make a perfect team. The great thing is that every character is developed, and they all get their chances to shine at some point in the film.

At points the film does get pretty ridiculous and strange, especially when the group initiations are happening for that one scene, or like the oddball, yet hilarious, announcers for the singing competition (played by John Michael Higgins, and Elizabeth Banks [who also helped produce the film]). Like I said in my previous sentence, it's pretty strange. Strangely entertaining, that is. The atmosphere isn't something all that special, but it's the characters, music, Anna Kendrick, and mostly because I didn't have a ride home, that convinced me stay until the very end. Something Anna Kendrick's character doesn't like to do.* The comedy that is offered can be a little too spaced-out for my liking, but when the jokes are made, they can hit pretty hard.

*Side Note: Sheesh. I really don't understand how some people don't stay until the very end. That's usually the best part!

The song mash-ups and set designs and all that are really nice and fun, and something to tap one's foot to. The wardrobe is okay, because the Bellas' uniform is that of a practical flight attendent. During the auditions, the filmmakers put them all together so they're all singing the song. It's really cool and funny; it's something I've seen on American Idol (or any other singing show) before, but it's cool to see it in a film.

Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow, Rebel Wilson, Anna Camp, Skylar Astin, Ben Platt, Ester Dean, Hana Mae Lee, Kelly Jakle, Alexis Knapp and Adam Devine star in Pitch Perfect.

Pitch Perfect offers a fun experience that is worth the look. It has great music, a pretty good plot, great characters, a great ensemble, and there's just a lot of things to love about this one. It's entertaining, and my have flaws because of its wicked predictability, but that doesn't stop this film from being a foot-tapping crowd pleaser.
Blood Diamond 2006,  R)
Apollo 18 2011,  PG-13)
Trouble with the Curve 2012,  PG-13)
Trouble with the Curve
Gus (Clint Eastwood) is a good old fashioned baseball scout who doesn't rely on computers to give him all the needed statistics. In a technology dominated society, this could cause problems. Gus isn't in his glory years, and he is now having difficulty seeing properly. He goes on one last recruiting trip, and much to his dislike, his daughter, Mickey (Amy Adams), tags along.

Trouble with the Curve is filled with clichés and it has a great amount of predictable moments and outcomes, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. Clint Eastwood is type-cast and plays that dynamic-seemingly-unpleasant-stubborn-old-fart. Amy Adams is that all-work-and-no-play(makes Mickey a dull gal) character. The characters are pretty solid, and there are great actors coming out the ying yang - Eastwood (who came out of acting retirement to do this), Adams, Justin Timberlake, John Goodman, Robert Patrick, and Matthew Lillard.

Some may be turned off by the baseball vibe of it all, but anti-baseball lovers, don't threat, because it's not all about baseball - there's enough humour, relationship building and self-sacrifice to make it enjoyable for those who don't like the game. Though, it does help if you enjoy it at least a little bit.

It really does offer a great story and narrative, and most of the characters have quite a few layers. The film is enjoyable, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. It's like a roller coaster of feel-good moments and emotional moments. There aren't any bad scenes, but some just aren't extremely memorable. Trouble is an experience that is very memorable and extremely enjoyable for baseball fans, but it might just offer entertainment and not make a lasting impression to non-baseball fans.

The only bad characters, really, are the baseball player that Gus is scouting, and Matthew Lillard's. Lillard has gone from the sort-of annoying stoner Shaggy in the Scooby-Doo films to an adulterous prick in The Descendants to a young baseball scout who thinks he knows everything there is to know about the sport, in this.

Eastwood's character seems unpleasant, stubborn and reserved; but that's probably because of his vision going, an upcoming threat of possible retirement, and that utter need for independence that a lot of elders possess.

The father-daughter relationship seems pretty timid, but it makes for some nice scenes throughout the feature.

There are some cool visuals, like when Gus is looking at something and his vision goes awry. At first, in all honesty, I thought I only percepted the screen as blurry!

Trouble stars Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, John Goodman, Justin Timberlake, Robert Patrick and Matthew Lillard, to name a few.

There's a lot of nice humour here and there, some great scenery and visuals, and there's great chemistry created between the actors (even though Lillard is that one odd guy out). There are some draining moments and predictable moments, but it still is quite enjoyable, and really doesn't overstay its welcome. Baseball lovers run out and see it, and non-lovers of the game, I give you permission to wait until it comes out on home media.
Chasing Mavericks 2012,  PG)
Chasing Mavericks
Chasing Mavericks brings the audience knowledge of the life story of Jay Moriarity. The year is 1994, and the location is Santa Cruz, California. 15-year old Jay Moriarity has always loved surfing, and has idolized local legend Frosty Hesson since childhood. When Jay hitches a ride on the roof of Frosty's van, he finds out that the myth of the Mavericks surf break, one of the biggest waves on Earth, is very real. He gets it in his aspiring stubborn head that he must ride this wave, and Frosty offers to teach him to survive it.

A lot of the content in C.M., is material that you've probably seen about ten times before, and the story feels simply between average and a bit above average. It's just that unfortunately average true underdog story, who just wants to beat the odds and come out a winner, with just a little determination and heart. Despite its average story , it still does offer an enjoyable experience and a story that someone could easily like a lot, or even love.

The true story is pretty nice, and it's all about following one's dreams and just aspire to become something, or some such bogus bullsh*t. If you do know Jay's story and everything before you see it, it isn't necesssary to check this one out. Unless you're really curious, but if you know beforehand, it may not be as enjoyable. It also might be a rewarding experience for you if you went in knowing as little about his story as possible, and go in without many expectations at all. It's just some really nice scenery and a fairly average tale.

Jay knows what it is like to be independent, as he has grown up (for the most part) without his father, and his mother works a lot. He finds a fatherly figure within Frosty, and it really is nice to watch their relationship grow over the course of the feature. Jay also learns great lessons of how to observe, and lessons of fear from Frosty. The chemistry created between the two is great. Also, the chemistry created between Jay and Kim is too, great. At times, the relationship between Jay and his best friend Blond, feels, oddly enough, awkward.

The beginning with Jay younger and Kim younger and Frosty younger, almost makes it feel like a whole different plot. That goes on for about fifteen minutes, but then it jumps ahead seven years to 1994, where the majority of the film is set. I didn't like how that was done.

The acting is good, and the main performers bring good chops to the table. I haven't seen a lot of Jonny Weston or Leven Rambin. Well, I've seen Rambin in her small role in The Hunger Games, but that's about it. There is also some incredible scenery and fine cinematography offered.

As far as surfing films go, this one was great. I've never been a huge fan of surfing, but I did enjoy this more than Soul Surfer. In that one, they really just chewed (really feasted) the scenery. Speaking of S.S., the success of that probably inspired Fox to make a surfing flick, for young Moriarity, for the 2012 Fall season.

The great thing about Jay and Frosty's relationship is that it doesn't feel like a teacher-student relationship, but a true friendship.
The climactic surf sequence is fairly quickly paced, but others just drag on; and at times the relationships that build on the land are greater than those draining surf sequences.

There isn't a lot of humour offered, but the few jokes are pretty funny. There's some poignancy here and there, but most of it can be pretty inspiring.

Gerard Butler (he also is Executive Producer), Jonny Weston, Elisabeth Shue, Abigail Spencer, Leven Rambin, Devin Crittenden and Taylor Handley star.

Sometimes, Chasing Mavericks feels just a bit too average. There's some nice humour, cinematography, and great scenery. Sometimes some scenes drag on, but the better scenes certainly outweigh those poor ones. It's worth checking out if you want to check out a nice inspirational story, but that's about the only big thing that makes C.M. stand out so vibrantly.

Read the uncut review at http://filmcraziest.wordpress.com
Sinister 2012,  R)
Sinister
Ellison Oswalt is a struggling writer whose last big hit was ten years ago. He and his family move into a house, in order for him to pursue a book idea. He's moved them into a house a few doors down from a crime scene before, but he didn't do that this time - he moved them into the house the actual crime scene took place. He finds a box of Super 8 films in the attic, that help him learn how and why the people who owned the house before them were murdered. This puts them in the path of a dangerous children soul-eating Ancient Pagan God by the name of Bughuul.

I'd like to say first that I'm not used to supernatural horror, because it just scares the hell out of me. Even for lovers of supernatural horror, this is a terrifying feature.

The film is flawed in terms of the latter segment of the film, it suffers from a few horror clichés, and at times I had trouble believing some of the stuff that was going on. Despite its flaws, there is a lot to love about it.

Sinister is deeply dark, wickedly atmospheric, and inventive. It's so twisted and convulted, that you just may ask yourselves, "Okay, which Stephen King book is this based on?" It relies more on its pretty great story, and its atmosphere, rather than those lame ass uneffective pop-out scares you see in traditional horror. There is a fair share of pop-out scares, but they're very effective thanks to the great score and the sounds that go bump in the night.

I know everyone would, or should be if they're in a right state of mind, be terrified of moving into a possibly haunted house. I know I would.

Jennifer Lawrence, in the horror film House at the End of the Street that was released in September, fell victim to that typical horrid dumb blonde in horror movies cliché, and while Ethan Hawke isn't as stupid as her character in this, he does have his own fair show of falling victim to those old-as-Santa-Claus horror cinema clichés. Seriously, one would think that the great Ethan Hawke would have the common sense to turn on a freaking light. When I hear the slightest noise in the night, I get out of bed with a light saber, ready to chop Darth Maul in half, if that's what is needed. This guy, he just seems to take a swig of whiskey and go right to the noise with shocked curiosity. I wonder if Jessica Chastain in next year's Mama is going to fall victim to these lame ass clichés? Probably.

One thing that I just had the hardest time believing, is how the family isn't hearing any of the crap that's going on in the house. They must be heavy sleepers. Like, heavier sleepers than corpses. Ellison might as well just be the only character in the film in most scenes.

Ellison's insistence to stay in the house can get a little drastic. He thinks he's helping his wife by not telling her, but he really isn't. I know I would have when all this supernatural stuff starts to happen. Ellison is just so bent on having another bestseller, that he sort of just feels distant from his family. Greed really begins to consume him.* This film really shows that writers can have stressful lives. Ellison is always cracking open his bottle of whisky, hardly sleeping at all, and he practically only has the one wardrobe. At least when he's being scared half the death, he'll have a comfy sweater on.

*If you're a kid, Bogghul will consume you, too.

The film is generally dark. Both thematically and that the dimly lit scenery. It isn't very easy on the eyes, but it's ultimately effective. This is a piece of impressive filmmaking with great direction, and some Super 8 films that are both graphic and chilling, and they add in to the great horror crime mystery, and really make this one stand out. It is combined well with the general cinematography. The tie-in of crime is really something nice, and the mythology is pretty interesting, too.

With some horror films, you may have the tendency to get scared when that big old sun, that often brings a sense of security to the viewer, go down. Since, of course, you know that the evening is the best setting for scares to occur. With this one, man, I was terrified. There was sweat on my palms by the end of it all.

Often, once a year, we should expect at least one great horror gem. For me, 2011?s was Scream 4. And this year, so far, The Cabin in the Woods is the gem. Sinister is a close second, and easily the scariest film of 2012. And, possibly, one of the scariest films I've ever seen.

There's this one really cool, but chillingly terrifying sequence, that has impressive cinematography, nice slow motion action and is quite original. I won't say anymore about that scene, because it really is cool to watch play out.

The great thing about this film is its wicked atmosphere. The tone was set right from the get go, with the opening graphic scene.
Ethan Hawke, Juliet Rylance, James Ransone, Michael Hall D'Addario, Clare Foley, and Fred Dalton Thompson star.

Sinister has some fine direction, and a nice story, but it still suffers from clichés, a poor could-have-been-so-much-better latter half of the film. Its atmosphere is something that one could easily love, or just as easily loathe. Sinister may not be the finest horror film of 2012, but it certainly is the most frightening.
Taken 2 2012,  PG-13)
Taken 2
I had a bit too much fun trashing this one.

Taken 2 is an occasionally enjoyable, but generally unsatisfying, sequel.

Bryan Mills is going on a business trip (I guess he came out of retirement) to Istanbul, Turkey. His ex-wife Lenore and his daughter Kim tag along after a few days because their own trip got cancelled last minute. What Mills isn't aware of is, the father of a man he killed on his first mission to rescue his daughter, is out for revenge. Mills must use his acquired set of skills that he acquired over a very long career, and enhanced in the first film, to save his and his family's lives and get home safely.

I didn't love this, nor I did like it very much, but I didn't absolutely loathe every part of it.

I really had a hard time believing some of the content that was happening. There was hardly a suspension of disbelief anymore, because some unbelievable ideas really bothered me. Remember that Robin Williams film, Flubber (1997)? Well if you don't, there was this little green flexible rubber (I guess, thus flubber) thing that could stretch a long way. Imagine that as my belief of the film, but it's one of those dud flubber's that snap really easily. It's sort of like a rubber band.*

*Maybe I should have just made the rubber band comparison... Oh well, I wanted to use that Flubber reference, okay! I think it's a little clever, and I only get clever ideas every so often.

Okay, I'll chat about some of the content that just bothered me.

1. Exotic trips so close together. This seems like it happens only a few months after the events in Paris, so if Kim gets kidnapped there, why would they want to take another trip to an exotic and probably criminal area like Istanbul? How good are the police forces going to be? Just come to Canada or something, we have a great police force. Better yet, why leave the country at all? Go to Hawaii or something!

2. Ninja daughter in training. When did the daughter become so skilled? It's not like she acquired those skills over a very long career, she only acquired some of them in a 90-minute first film. Okay, it's all right because they didn't make her have a shot like an assassin, and she was driving pretty recklessly, but what's up with that grenade throwing? There's really no way one could be that accurate with a grenade on their first throw. I guess they could practice with baseballs, but baseballs don't explode. It doesn't seem likely at the time. And, she has wicked perfect math skills, and she draws a near-perfect circle. How could one do that under that much stress?

3. Bryan and Kim treat this as if it is an everyday occurrence Lenore, who is just there and makes this pretty messy sequel even longer, freaks out a little bit. But Bryan and Kim had the tendency to just treat it like it happens so often, it might as well be an everyday occurence like walking a dog.

4. Maggie Grace's age. Maggie, Maggie. We audiences are not this stupid. The gig is up, you sexy 29-year old, you. You're playing a seventeen (almost eighteen) year old. And, you're not very convincing.

5. Nearly exact same final showdown as the first one. Mills fights one prime henchmen, and then faces the big old bad guy. Just like in the first one. It's a similar fighting scene, but it's just a little more frustrating, as the first one. And, the henchmen has the same exact knife as the prime henchmen in the first one. I know it's probably like a group knife, but the henchmen was fighting Mills nearly exactly the same way as a primary henchmen in the first one did.

6. Marriage Rebuilding 101, ran by Hollywood. What a great way to try to rebuild a marriage! Get kidnapped, it seems like such a bonding experience! Yeah, what a great way to rekindle a lost relationship.

Okay, I'm done with tearing apart the unbelievable content. Did I miss anything? Probably.

I'll talk about what was sort of good about it. The same simple premise is used, but it sometimes can be effective, but not nearly as effective as the first. It just drags on in a lot of areas. Admittedly, some of the action sequences were pretty good. Some were better than others, and some were just draining, predictable, and messy. It's enjoyable at times and pretty quickly paced, but it lost my attention at times.

Now for the next part of it that really bothered me. It's practically the same premise as the first, or at least extremely similar. It's like they consulted with The Hangover Part II director Todd Phillips, to see how they could make the same film twice. That brings me to this:

How to Make the Same Film Twice, For Dummies by Daniel Prinn

Step 1: Consult with Todd Phillips, because he's the one who prominently made the same comedy twice.

Step 2: Go to your documents. Find the screenplay of the first film.

Step 3: Open up a new word document. Okay, do you have it open?

Step 4: Now, go over to the original screenplay: copy it, and paste it to the new document.

Step 5: Now replace with only daughter being kidnapped, to the whole family being kidnapped.

Step 6: And now find every reference to Paris, and replace it with Istanbul.

Step 7: Did you do all that? Okay, good.

Step 8: Put in the mailbox, send it to a big studio like Fox, and start raking in the money.

Some of the flashback visuals, or visuals used when someone is drugged, was just really rough and hard on the eyes. Especially, the opening credits. That was truly bothersome. But, the landscape was admittedly pretty great.

At the beginning, as an introduction to the plot that shall follow, the narrative kept alternating between L.A. and Albania, and it felt like two different plots for the first (approximately) twenty minutes.

If I have learned anything from this action series, it's that the earth is occupied by many men who are bent on revenge.

The Mills family is just about the family representation of Princess Peach. They just keep getting kidnapped all the time, one would think they would learn from the first film. Though, if you ever get kidnapped, just call Bryan Mills at 1-888-789-TKN2, for assistance to get out of the jam. He'll help you out.

In one line of dialogue, Neeson even commented on how there will probably be a second sequel. He seemed to say it reluctantly, too.

Taken 2 is a generally unsatisfying sequel that has some enjoyable moments, but also very poor action sequences. The characters are still pretty lame, and no one believes Maggie Grace is really seventeen years old. I probably had more fun reviewing the film than I did watching it. Join us for the inevitable second sequel, where one of these things may just get taken from him: one of his buddies, grandchildren, identity, pet goldfish, or, GOD FORBID, his favourite weapon.
Wreck-it Ralph 2012,  PG)
Wreck-it Ralph
Wreck-It Ralph has one film aspect thing we are always searching for: nostalgia. Nostalgia is when you look back at some point in your life, and cherish that solitary memory. In the case of this great Disney animation film, we find ourselves looking back to our childhoods, when we would spend tireless hours playing Super Mario Bros. to take Princess Peach back from that spiky-backed Bowser or; controlling Donkey Kong to jump over those pesky barrels; or making Pacman run away from those ghosts. This nostalgia is most prominent for those 80s and 90s children. In Wreck-It Ralph, it truly shines through. In animation, this great feeling has not been shown so clearly as it has been here.

In other 2012 films, like The Perks of Being a Wallflower, the nostalgia feeling was looking back at the good times of high school (for my case, early high school, since this is my graduating year) or those generally depressing and lonely times. We've seen that in plenty of teen films before it, so it's a traditional nostalgic feeling in our hearts. With Wreck-It Ralph, it feels truly original because a great video game tribute has never been paid quite like this one, besides documentaries like Special When Lit that rediscovers the long lost game of Pinball.

The story follows Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) the villain of a 30-year old arcade game called Fix-It Felix Jr., where Ralph wrecks it and Felix (voiced by Jack McBrayer) races the clock to fix what Ralph has wrecked. Ralph feels like an outcast in his own game, because he lives in a dump across the way from his video game co-workers, while they hang out in the penthouse and party it up. Ralph sets out for different games, that ultimately wreaks havoc in his arcade, in search of a medal so he can redeem himself, and become the hero he has always wanted to be. He eventually ends up at Sugar Rush and meets the charismatic Vanellope (voiced by Sarah Silverman) a computer glitch in her own game. The two outcasts team up together, to defeat antagonists, and make names for themselves.

The main antagonist is the charismatic dictator of Sugar Rush, King Candy (voiced by Alan Tudyk). The other antagonists are from some games Ralph encounters, that find their way into the game of Sugar Rush. Also, there is the arcade manager, Mr. Litwak, who proposes the overbearing threat of pulling the plug of Ralph's game if Ralph and Felix can't get back to the game in time. This has the tendency to make the film slightly crowded, but it still is unarguably enjoyable and fun. A few things that make the film fun are the great and often delicious appearing set designs, very seemingly fun arcade games, and the stunningly beautiful [3D] visual effects. The humour is often hysterical, and very funny even for those who are not children. Although, if one is over the age of thirteen, they may think the toilet humour has the huge tendency to be obnoxious and over the top. Those toilet humour jokes are quite hit-and-miss, but most do indeed hit. To add to the general comedy of the film, there are also some exciting action sequences, like the races that made me want to play a good old game of Mario Kart. There is one sequence near the end of the film that features a creature that may just be a little too mature or frightening for a basic children's film; it reminded me of Pennywise the Clown from Stephen King's It (at the least the bottom half of it).

The message present (don't be afraid to be a hero) is great and does not feel forced. What does feel forced, however, are some of the relationships. The one relationship between Felix and Calhoun (voiced by Jane Lynch), feels forced because they just seem so opposite. The relationship between Ralph and Vanellope, on the other hand, was absolutely precious, often heartwarming (and at times heartbreaking), natural and inspiring. It's normal that this relationship may mend together well, because Ralph's towering build, that may remind viewers of Donkey Kong, and then Vanellope's figure that looks like a miniature Princess Daisy, seems like a father-daughter relationship. Instead, it feels like a real, non-condescending friendship. Not to mention, they are both great characters. Vanellope is absolutely adorable and hysterical, and one cannot help but smile when she comes on-screen. She just offers a needed supporting structure to the general film. These characters, and all others, do great jobs of portraying emotions, even though that isn't hard to do with animation, but regardless, the viewer still feels what they feel - from inspiration, to loneliness, to excitement, to heartbreak. The characters are each well put together, and have nice backgrounds.

Wreck-It Ralph is the finest 2012 animated feature, (but there isn't any competition, because surprisingly to me, it's the only 2012 released animated feauture I've seen) and is generally one of the finest and most original of 2012. The only thing I thought of with the coming to life at night is the two Night at the Museum films (and more obviously the Toy Story trilogy), but comparing this to that isn't exactly fair since they are so different. Disney has delivered us a great film yet again, and mashed two generally loved things together: their acclaimed animation, and video games. I had high expectations for this film, and this really rocked my world.
Flight 2012,  R)
Flight
Finally, Robert Zemeckis has returned, after twelve years, to directing real people (at least he didn't generally disappear from the directing game like James Cameron did for twelve freaking years). Zemeckis' last live-action film was 2000?s Cast Away, and since 2004, he has been experimenting with his unique knack of animated features. In 2004, he brought us the decent enough The Polar Express; in 2007, he brought us the Action/Animation feature Beowulf; and in 2009, he brought us the pretty over-the-top-and-not-in-a-good-way, Disney's A Christmas Carol. Now, he's back with a big old ka-boom to direct this beauty.

Whip Whitaker is ready to fly a plane after a night of partying. Once he takes that puppy in the air, it soon gets attacked by turbulence, and soon enough, the hydraulics take a turn for the worse. He lands it safely on the ground, and saves a lot of lives because of this. For a short time, he is seen as an unarguable hero, but once an investigation gets put in order, it reveals that Whitaker is a struggling alcoholic. Whitaker makes friendships along the way, and must simultaneously face both ridicule, and must fight off his inner demon of alcoholism and come to terms with the beast that lives inside of him.

Flight doesn't feel as long as it actually is. By the time the film is over, you may not have any idea that two hours and twenty minutes have gone by. And when you do realize it, you won't mind. Flight is totally compelling and often gripping. There is not one bad scene in this feature. The world of addiction is well and profoundly investigated with Whitaker, especially because he cannot admit to himself, or others, that he has a pretty serious problem. He also feels that if he wasn't drunk during the time of flying, everyone on the plane may have survived. That opening 20-minute sequence of the plane rushing through a sea of turbulence, and flying upside down, is both exciting and just a wicked does of an adrenaline rush. Imagine any other plane crash sequence in other films, and imagine it hyped up on cocaine and codeine (but without overdosing). Do you have that picture in your head? Yeah, it's pretty crazy, exciting and tense all at the same time. Even after seeing it a second time, you'll still feel as tense as you did the first time around. The suspense for that scene is beautifully created, and you can just feel it on each character's faces.

Flight sometimes can feel like an AA meeting, but only in a few scenes, especially when they are at an AA meeting of sorts. Though, those scenes aren't even bad. The fact that Whitaker wants to push everyone away who just wants to help him, can get a little frustrating for the viewer. Still, we all can feel the turmoil that Whitaker is facing in this state in his life, and over a vast majority of his life. Denzel Washington yet again brings a great character to life with ease, and portrays him beautifully, and makes us want to root for him wholeheartedly.

There is a sort of dramatic, emotional, darkly hilarious at times, and philosophical blended atmosphere that one can really get absorbed in. We, the viewers, may not know the true hardships of addiction and may not understand Whitaker's drinking, but we must comprehend that it seems like a very difficult disease to defeat. One person who tries to help Whitaker overcome his addiction is Nicole, a heroin addict who is trying to get sober. The relationship between the two grows is nice but can get a little strained because they both are addicts, but she has come to terms with her addiction and wants to overcome it, while Whitaker is having a tougher time. Some other relationships formed in the film are nice too, but almost all don't feel great (like with his union rep, Charlie Anderson or his lawyer, Hugh Lang) because Whitaker really feels like a person who doesn't play well with others, even though he's a very sympathetic man. One person he does play well with is Harling Mays (John Goodman), his cousin and sometimes drug dealer. Harling is not present in the film for an extremely long time, but when he is, he really steals the show with his comic relief, and no one else could play this role as well as John Goodman accomplishes. He is just the best, and only, man for the job.

The sound is great and the performances are great. Everything about this drama is just solid, because it is so profound and is very enjoyable. There is a load of emotional content here, and one heck of a suspenseful scene at the beginning of the feature. For those who find the concept of addiction fascinating, will enjoy this even more. Everyone does a superb job on this project, and if Denzel Washington doesn't get nominated for the Oscar for Best Leading Actor, I'll get drunk, fly a plane, and crash it.
Dr Seuss' The Lorax 2012,  PG)
Dark Shadows 2012,  PG-13)
End of Watch 2012,  R)
John Q 2001,  PG-13)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World 2012,  R)
Snow White and the Huntsman 2012,  PG-13)
Skyfall 2012,  PG-13)
Lincoln 2012,  PG-13)
The Amazing Spider-Man 2012,  PG-13)
The Five-Year Engagement 2012,  R)
Brave 2012,  PG)
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted 2012,  PG)
Rise of the Guardians 2012,  PG)
Life of Pi 2012,  PG)
Red Dawn 2012,  PG-13)
Silver Linings Playbook 2012,  R)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 1989,  PG-13)
Men in Black III 2012,  PG-13)
Killing Them Softly 2012,  R)
Killing Them Softly
Ah. Hitmen meet the economy; what a pair they make!

Jackie Cogan (Brad Pitt) is an enforcer hired to restore order after three dumb guys, who think they're smart, rob a mob-protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse.

Johnny Amato (a.k.a., Squirrel; portrayed by Vincent Curatola) is the so-called mastermind behind the heist of a mob-protected card game. He enlists the assistance of Frankie (Scoot McNairy) and Russell (Ben Mendelsohn), and the plan is seemingly golden. The host of this card game is Markie Trattman, a man who hosted another card game in the past, and he then robbed his own card game. Due to that, card games went away for a little while. Now they're back. The local criminal bosses believe that if this one gets robbed, Markie will have to be behind it. That's what makes these three dumb guys believe that this is a foolproof plan.

Because of all this, Jackie Cogan gets called in to restore a little order to this imperfect local economy.

The film opens with Frankie (Scoot McNairy) walking down a rundown street, and the film cuts between a politician speaking (Obama or George W., possibly) and him. The wording constantly gets off. This is both stylish and artistic, but it will get irritating to the impatient viewer. It becomes known that this film is set when George W. Bush was still leader of the free world, and America was in an economic crisis. The card game being robbed doesn't particularly assist the local criminal economy in any way.

In that way, this is both a story of violence and despair, and a compelling and complex social commentary of 2008 America in the midst of one of the worst financial situations since the Great Depression. The concepts in Killing Them Softly are complex, but they aren't hard to comprehend. The film suggests that America is not a place where one could easily raise their kids. It is not a community, it is a business. However, these concepts of economics and capitalism are not subtly explored. The political voice-over speeches are practically right in your face, as if they're 3D. Though, this barely bothered me.

Jackie Cogan is an awesome character who is filled with philosophy and mystery. Though, he isn't the only interesting character in this. There is also Frankie and Russell, who may be a little dim-witted, but they are nonetheless good characters. Russell is often really there just for comedic relief, and he is also a representation of the stupid people of America. Frankie may be sort of dumb, but he is much smarter than Russell. Both the characters are good enough to carry the film for their scenes. In fact, they practically carry the film for the first twenty minutes - with a little help from Curatola and Liotta. These actors remind us that a film can be good, even when Pitt isn't onscreen. Also, Brad Pitt entering the screen to the sound of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" is the perfect touch.

Brad Pitt, as usual, is a booming screen presence. Put him next to Richard Jenkins' character, he's cool and he has a mysterious bravado. Speaking of Richard Jenkins' character, his name is never revealed. He is just the middle man of crime who pays Cogan. Though the question of who Jenkins works for is left unanswered. That is one of the pleasant ambiguities and mysteries of the film.

Though, put Pitt next to James Gandolfini's character of Mickey (another hit man called in by Cogan to help out), he's nothing special. Only because he's listening to Mickey talk his ear off. Mickey's character is hardly interesting though, all he talks about is sex and money. He talks too much, and he doesn't kill enough.

Scoot McNairy has proved to audiences that he is a solid supporting presence (Exhibit A: this; and Exhibit B: Argo) and also a good leading man presence (as shown in 2010's Monsters). I look forward to more performances by this promising actor.

The story, the cinematography and the editing are the real highlights of the film. There are a few other vividly cool editing sequences, that leave me feeling impressed. There's one scene where Pitt is firing a gun in the rain in a slow-motion sequence, that is stunning. It's vividly cool, and is worth the watch simply for that. Don't stay for just that, though. This is one of the best films of the year!

There is a whole load of killing, but not as much as it seems to promise. In that way, the advertising is sort of deceiving. That's okay, though, the other things that it never promises make up for it. There's a fair share of soft, but brutal, killing to satisfy all, even though the killings are far between each other. The social commentary it offers is also profound. Sometimes it gets talky, but it is never uninteresting. The soundtrack is great and the atmosphere it offers is one of the most unique of the year. The writing is great, and the actors are great. They don't disappoint one bit. There's enough violence, and enough politics and economics to leave both crime movie lovers and scholars with a smile on their faces by the time the end credits roll. Just don't expect non-stop carnage, and you'll be good.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter 2012,  R)
That's My Boy 2012,  R)
Sparkle 2012,  PG-13)
Sparkle
Sister and Her Sisters? More like the Hussy and Her Sisters.

Sparkle is a performing arts drama set in the 1960s. It follows three sisters: Sparkle (Jordin Sparks), Sister (Carmen Ejogo) and Dolores (Tika Sumpter) who mend a girl group and they soon become local sensations with major label interest, but fame brings turmoil and further struggle to the tight-knit family.

Sparkle is a fully mediocre story that simply borrows its delightful concepts from other, better films. It may be filled with clichés and owns a very predictable premise, but it is thoroughly entertaining, and I never found myself bored. However, I did find myself fairly irritated at some points in the film.

While Sparkle is the titular character, for a good majority of the flick, she does not feel like the focal point. She is mainly a reserved character who wants her music to be heard, but she is much too timid to sing them herself. The band's manager, Stix (Derek Luke), is one character who wants her to break out of that shell. And because of all of this, Sparkle is merely placed as a background singer - and subsequently, a usual background character (with the exception of the last twenty-five minutes, or so) since she is often drowned out by waves of sub-plots.

There is a sub-plot also worked into Sparkle's character; she does not believe in herself, but partly due to the fact that her mother (Whitney Houston, in a great last performance) does not believe in her either. The mother almost had a music career when she was younger, but it ultimately failed. She does not want to see her daughters go down that same road, but she doesn't know of their constant sneaking out for the majority of the film. There's a petite sub-plot of Dolores (a.k.a. Dee) only joining the music group to make enough money to go to Medical School.

However, the largest sub-plot (and really, the main plot point) is Sister's wrestle with fame. She is also one of the main reasons of the family's struggle. She is a character that is so enveloped by the fame of it all, that she cannot see a good man who cares for her right in front of her eyes, and one who will care for her, Levi (Omari Hardwick). Instead, she chooses the incredibly lame and annoying comedian, Satin (Mike Epps). He leads her down a road of drugs and physical and mental abuse (like no one's heard that story before). Basically, the characters of Sister and Satin affected my enjoyment of the film. I may have never been bored, but those two characters made me feel a certain loathing. Also, they made me feel skeptical of opening up to any other characters.

Sparkle is a mediocre and average performing arts drama. It is entertaining, but it isn't anything memorable or special. It has a great debut performance from Jordin Sparks and a great last performance by Whitney Houston. The characters of the mother, Sparkle, Stix and Dee are great; but the characters of Sister and Satin are not easy to appreciate. It's a predictable ride, but it is nonetheless a fairly good, but not memorable, one.
This Means War 2012,  PG-13)
The Campaign 2012,  R)
The Dictator 2012,  R)
The Lucky One 2012,  PG-13)
Wanderlust 2012,  R)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 2001,  PG-13)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002,  PG-13)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
What else can I say about this film other than that it it is visually stunning, engaging and astounding? Everything there is to be said about this flick has probably been stated or though, so that's really all I have to say about this one.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 2012,  PG-13)
House on Haunted Hill 1999,  R)
Snow Day 2000,  PG)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 2001,  PG)
Monsters, Inc. 2012,  G)
The Guilt Trip 2012,  PG-13)
This is 40 2012,  R)
A Walk to Remember 2002,  PG)
A Walk to Remember
In 1965, a romance novelist was born who would be known for his schmaltzy, predictable and usually mindless love stories that can sometimes express a certain charm and always make girls expect so much more from men. That man is Nicholas Sparks. In 1994, he wrote his debut novel, 'The Notebook.' Since then, he has became a household name. Especially in homes with teenage girls. Eight (including the upcoming 2013 film, Safe Haven) of his novels have been adapted into films, some of the best include The Notebook, Dear John and The Last Song. While most of the movies adapted from his works are incredibly lame, two stand out: The Notebook, and A Walk to Remember.

This film follows Landon Carter (Shane West), a high school senior who gets sentenced to do community service after he and a few buddies play a cruel initiation prank on a poor old sap who wants to be a part of their group. Landon soon lands his eyes on the beautiful daughter of the Reverend, Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore). While they soon fall in love, Landon must deal with his sudden plummet of popularity, and Jamie must deal with her over-bearing father and a secret she keeps from everyone.

No folks, she isn't a man. That isn't her secret. Her secret is fairly predictable, but it admittedly adds a surprising flare of emotion when it comes around the bend.

Like all other Sparks adaptations, this is still predictable and melodramatic, but it is one of the most bearable of his features. The two leads create a charming chemistry, and they make it bearable - and Moore is the pretty face that adds to its attraction. They are the best part of the feature, but the story is nothing new or anything you haven't really seen before.

Landon must make a hard self-sacrifice of giving up his friends for the one he loves, and sacrfice his mega-popularity at the top of the high school food chain. And then, as expected, Jamie starts to change his heart for the better. Though, her secret makes her a little more reserved. These concepts are made new though, by the unexpected amount of heart and tenderness the film possesses.

All these redeeming qualities do not stop it from being predictable and melodramatic, however. These just merely make the experience bearable for anyone outside of its target audience. It's fairly entertaining, and it's a nice little mindless break from the real world. It also gives girls a fantasy world to live in for 101 minutes, and for that, it should be cherished by them. News flash: we men don't have scripts written for us, not all of us know how to woo you with a fine ease. We're not the figure you write about in all your diaries.

In a nutshell: A Walk to Remember is a fine feature for its target audience: credulous teenage girls who want to believe men are something they really aren't; and for others, it's only a little entertaining. It is made mostly bearable by Mandy Moore, but the story leaves something to be desired.
The Watch 2012,  R)
The Watch
In the town of Glenview, Ohio, Evan is the store manager of the local Costco. He is guilt-stricken after his night watchman, Antonio Guzman, gets mysteriously murdered in his store. Because of this, he constructs a neighbourhood watch with middle-aged Bob (Vince Vaughn); the guy with all the mental problems, Franklin (Jonah Hill); and the British dude whose parents couldn't give him a logical name, Jamarcus (Richard Ayoade). Their initial purpose is to protect the neighbourhood from the baddies and instil justice wherever possible and find the killer of Antonio; but their purpose soon alters into being protectors of the whole earth, who must stop a gang of skin-stealing aliens from taking over the entire planet as we know it!

This little gang might as well be the alien-versing version of the Ghostbusters, but they don't have a catchy jingle or cool gadgets. Excluding that cool orb they acquire from the opposing side. The aliens might as well be the other-worldly weird country cousins of Leatherface who take the body's skin instead of just the face. So, it's Alienbusters vs. Alien Leatherbodies. That sounds promising, or maybe even a little, dare I say, scary; right? Wrong. The only thing scary about this feature is its staggering waste of potential.

Do any of you remember last year's surprise British hit, Attack the Block? I'm convinced Stern, Rogen and Goldberg were inspired by that flick to make a more successful American alien comedy. If this is the case, it was an ambitious idea at best, but the end product is not rewarding. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the two writers (Rogen & Goldberg) involved in this project, but it simply isn't in the right hands.

Maybe don't allow Akiva Schaffer, director of SNL digital shorts and Hot Rod, direct this film. Next time, get someone with a bit more experience in directing: Jay Roach, a man who has dabbled in directing comedy (Austin Powers franchise, Meet the Parents and its two sequels) and producing science fiction (The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy). And get some funny consultants, maybe Judd Apatow or Kevin Smith. Then again, I don't have any power in Hollywood. I just enjoy my crude humour to be usually funny. And the laughs it does offer are limited and far between each other.

The premise of this is promising: mashing a good old sci-fi story of protecting the world from invaders with a great buddy (plus a few) comedy sounds great. It doesn't turn out to be as great. In fact, it doesn't really even turn out to be good. There wasn't a lot of thought put into the story, as it only offers a few original ideas. The actors on their own are usually funny (Vaughn, Hill, Forte and frequent TV actor Ayoade in particular, sometimes Stiller), but when they come together, all of them don't look like they're having the most fun in the world. Or in the galaxy. Ayode looks like he's having a blast most of the time; Forte is making the best of an unfunny character; Vaughn is trying to make the best of it; and Stiller and Hill (who is probably the funniest of the bunch) look like they want their freaking paychecks already. Well, boys, while watching The Watch, I often just want the end credits to roll.

In a nutshell: The Watch wastes the opportunity to do something with a nice but not original premise. The writing, character development and some of the actors wanting to be done with this project don't complement the initial good idea at hand. The end product offers something to be desired in both the comedy (there's only a few laugh-out-loud moments) and science fiction departments. It really is not as good as you'll want it to be.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas 2000,  PG)
The Expendables 2 2012,  R)
Everything Must Go 2011,  R)
Mirror Mirror 2012,  PG)
The Woman in Black 2012,  PG-13)
The Woman in Black
A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals.

The Woman in Black is a solid horror drama that runs on unanswered questions. It is also an extremely effective and spooky gothic tale that has the potential to chill you to the bone.

The chilling tale may not be for everyone because it is sort-of a period, gothic tale that may not fascinate all. However, those who could be intrigued by this should definitely check it out. A few things that make this stand out are the specific and interesting concepts that add a necessary fuel to the film: finding closure in the afterlife. The ghostly antagonist had someone close to them taken by someone, and that is their fuel to haunt the town folks and take their children.

The atmospheric tale runs on unanswered questions, and not all get answered in the end. This makes the feature thought-provoking, but it also makes it a frustrating experience. The purpose of spending 95 minutes on this film is to have the questions answered in the end, not to be left hanging. This doesn't make the mysterious film have a good pay-off in the end, but the journey to actually get there is more than fine.

The characterization is pretty good. The main protagonist, Arthur Kipps (portrayed by post-Harry Potter, Daniel Radcliffe), is established as a widow who would do anything to protect his dearest son. This adds layers to him because he actually has the ability to relate to the ghost, because he understands what one may do to protect a child they have raised. Radcliffe has expressed he has some potential to be a great actor. He captures emotions like fear expertly. You'll like him in this, too, if you don't expect him to pull out his wand, and yell 'Expelliarmus!' (or any other incantation) at the big old scary baddie.

In a nutshell: The Woman in Black runs on unanswered questions, and it is a solid experience until the last frustrating twenty minutes. It is mostly a great turn from Daniel Radcliffe, who has left the wand at home and jumped back to the 1860s.
Red Eye 2005,  PG-13)
Jack Reacher 2012,  PG-13)
While You Were Sleeping 1995,  PG)
Les Misérables 2012,  PG-13)
Django Unchained 2012,  R)
Parental Guidance 2012,  PG)
Prometheus 2012,  R)
Training Day 2001,  R)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 2010,  PG-13)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments