close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Movies of 2002

Page Views
Comments
  jjb3332003's Rating My Rating
The Count of Monte Cristo 2002,  PG-13)
The Count of Monte Cristo
One of the best movies ever. Perfect in almost all aspects. I have no respect for the political machinations that nominate garbage for awards and ignore pieces of art such as this.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002,  PG-13)
The Emperor's Club 2002,  PG-13)
The Emperor's Club
If you liked Dead Poets you will like this
About a Boy 2002,  PG-13)
The Hours 2002,  PG-13)
Road to Perdition 2002,  R)
The Bourne Identity 2002,  PG-13)
Hero 2004,  PG-13)
Hero
awesome kung fu, great story
About Schmidt 2002,  R)
About Schmidt
A wonderful movie on all levels - story, writing, directing, casting, acting, music. I found myself wishing it were longer. The underlying, and sometimes overt, humor blended with the seriousness of the character and his situations was astounding. Bravo.
The Good Girl 2002,  R)
One Hour Photo 2002,  R)
One Hour Photo
this is a great movie. Robin Williams (like Tom Cruise) needs to play the "bad" guy more often.
The Rules of Attraction 2002,  R)
The Rules of Attraction
I loved this movie. Great cast, directing, soundtrack (and use of music), with an original presentation. Sort of a Pulp Fiction meets Fast Times. Which is not surprising as it was adapted and directed by Roger Avary, Quentin Tarantino's credited (and uncredited) partner in many-an-early film.
The Other Side of the Bed (El Otro Lado de la Cama) 2003,  R)
The Other Side of the Bed (El Otro Lado de la Cama)
cute romantic comedy with an original infusion of a musical
Door to Door 2002,  Unrated)
Door to Door
A touching story about a man with cerebral palsy who chooses to overcome the adversity he faces. William Macy delivers a fantastic performance and is backed by a stellar supporting cast.
Dirty Pretty Things 2003,  R)
The Housekeeper 2003,  R)
Leo 2002,  R)
Leo
awesome tale of two parallel souls
Minority Report 2002,  PG-13)
Minority Report
excellent adaptation of a Philip K Dick story
40 Days and 40 Nights 2002,  R)
Mr. Deeds 2002,  PG-13)
Irreversible 2002,  Unrated)
Irreversible
a powerful story told in reverse chronology; has perhaps the most disturbing 30 minutes of footage I have ever seen
Maid in Manhattan 2002,  PG-13)
Spirited Away 2001,  PG)
Spirited Away
My first Hayao Miyazaki film and all I can say is that I'm in for a treat. Truly fascinating and captivating. What an imaginative mind. The story is beautifully told and wonderfully illustrated. The last half hour or so is particularily touching. It's hard to describe why it evokes such feeling. I think it's all the little nuances and how the minutae seem to become the focal point of the directing. I can certainly understand why his films are so highly regarded. A fine example how a children's story can be presented in an adult fashion without sexual inuendos, one-liners, or slapstick humor.
Laurel Canyon 2003,  R)
Laurel Canyon
Very strong movie. Great acting, directing, and soundtrack - and an outstanding ending.
The Heart of Me 2003,  R)
A Walk to Remember 2002,  PG)
The Ring 2002,  PG-13)
The Ring
freaked the shit out of me the first time I saw it - which was at 12 AM alone at home
Life or Something Like It 2002,  PG-13)
National Lampoon's Van Wilder (Party Liaison) 2002,  R)
National Lampoon's Van Wilder (Party Liaison)
fucking hilarious...and a good message to boot.
Unfaithful 2002,  R)
Sweet Home Alabama 2002,  PG-13)
Sweet Home Alabama
I thought this movie was cute but it was even better than I remembered.
The Hot Chick 2002,  PG-13)
High Crimes 2002,  PG-13)
Sorority Boys 2002,  R)
L'Auberge Espagnole (Pot Luck)(Euro Pudding)(The Spanish Apartment) 2003,  R)
L'Auberge Espagnole (Pot Luck)(Euro Pudding)(The Spanish Apartment)
I liked most everything about this movie - directing, music, cast, story.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 2002,  PG)
Two Weeks Notice 2002,  PG-13)
Femme Fatale 2002,  R)
Femme Fatale
with a different ending this could've been a great movie
Punch-Drunk Love 2002,  R)
Star Trek - Nemesis 2002,  PG-13)
Barbershop 2002,  PG-13)
Mon idole (My Idol) (Whatever You Say) 2002,  Unrated)
Mon idole (My Idol) (Whatever You Say)
Extremely quirky dark comedy with a fine use of American music interjected during key moments. I was very impressed with Guillaume Canet's (the French Patrick Dempsey) writing and directorial debut. Very cool ending.
Signs 2002,  PG-13)
The Secret Lives of Dentists 2003,  R)
The Secret Lives of Dentists
Really well-directed film about familial abrasion and adhesion.
Nicholas Nickleby 2002,  PG)
Nicholas Nickleby
The typical Dickens formula shines in this adaptation.
Personal Velocity: Three Portraits 2002,  R)
Personal Velocity: Three Portraits
The movie takes a backstage to the stories and the content itself. Along the same vein as "If These Walls Could Talk." Wonderful performances by all three actresses and set to a beautiful score.
Ted Bundy 2002,  R)
8 Mile 2002,  R)
8 Mile
This Rocky of rap movie pleasantly surprised me. I gained a new perspective on Eminem and also Kim Basinger's acting ability.
Fuehrer Ex (Führer Ex) 2003,  Unrated)
Fuehrer Ex (Führer Ex)
Good, gritty account of two young friends dealing with life behind the Berlin Wall and behind bars.
Riders (Steal) 2002,  R)
Analyze That 2002,  R)
The Importance of Being Earnest 2002,  PG)
The Four Feathers 2002,  PG-13)
The Four Feathers
could've been a great movie but Heath Ledger as an Arab is ridiculous; although Lawrence of Arabia pulled it off
XXX 2002,  PG-13)
The Pianist 2002,  R)
Rabbit-Proof Fence 2002,  PG)
The Banger Sisters 2002,  R)
800 Balas (800 Bullets) 2002,  R)
The Guru 2002,  R)
The Guru
(When I saw the previews for this I thought it looked absolutely stupid so I was not expecting much. What I got, despite it's hokey humor at times, was a film that ended up being quite charming). I like it more and more every time I see it. It is truly one of my guilty pleasures.
Love Liza 2002,  R)
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2002,  PG)
Spider-Man 2002,  PG-13)
Spider-Man
When will they make a superhero movie that doesn't end so cornily?
The Transporter 2002,  PG-13)
Frida 2002,  R)
Frida
I want a house like her and Diego had
The Mothman Prophecies 2002,  PG-13)
The Mothman Prophecies
A fascinating story that gets much better at the end, but overall suffers from weak writing and directing.
Pumpkin 2002,  R)
Chicago 2002,  PG-13)
Chicago
much overrated, in my mind
Buying the Cow 2000,  R)
Buying the Cow
A bit too silly, but still cute. Ryan Reynolds was hilarious as usual.
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist 2002,  PG-13)
Mou gaan dou (Infernal Affairs) 2002,  R)
Mou gaan dou (Infernal Affairs)
Extremely disappointing. Here is a rare case of the Americanized version being vastly supeior to the original. The opening was lame, the score horrendous, and the directing overdramatic at times. The cover art (not the one here but the one generally seen, is also misrepresentative. Then they milked this baby for a prequel and a sequel. Yikes.
Dragonfly 2002,  PG-13)
Dragonfly
The ending salvaged an otherwise nondescript movie.
The Magdalene Sisters 2003,  R)
The Magdalene Sisters
Basically a women-in-prison film without the lesbianism and with a more substantive plot.
Trapped 2002,  R)
Confessions of an American Girl 2004,  R)
Confessions of an American Girl
Nothing too special here. The darkness it touched upon in the middle never materialzed into anything more than haphazardness.
24 Hour Party People 2002,  R)
24 Hour Party People
Interesting to learn a bit of the background of Joy Division/New Order but otherwise not much special here.
Sex and the Teenage Mind 2002,  R)
Sex and the Teenage Mind
A pretty typical teen comedy featuring some fairly likeable characters. Basically "Can't Buy Me Love" - just nowhere near as cute or as good.
Now You Know 2002,  R)
Now You Know
Had it's moments, but I feel like I've seen this all before - and much better done - by the original Jersey angst man Kevin Smith
Vendredi soir (Friday Night) 2003,  Unrated)
Vendredi soir (Friday Night)
Interesting avant-garde film on human behavior but a bit slow for my taste.
Deathbed 2002,  R)
Deathbed
A subpar horror movie that gets quite creepy at the end.
Zigzag 2002,  R)
Zigzag
Sad but not depressing. John Leguizamo was very good.
Far From Heaven 2003,  PG-13)
Far From Heaven
I found this to be pretty nondescript.
Resident Evil 2002,  R)
Resident Evil
The video game is a classic, the movie...not so much.
Shottas 2006,  R)
Shottas
Shottas - Jamaican for gangsters. While the movie had potential and some decent moments, ultimately it just feels like a Scarface ripoff.
Hafið (The Sea) (Havet) 2002,  R)
Hafið (The Sea) (Havet)
I love watching a bunch of spoiled brats in action...
Rollerball 2002,  PG-13)
Rollerball
Ridiculous, yet strangely captivating
Miranda 2002,  R)
100 Women (Girl Fever) 2002,  R)
100 Women (Girl Fever)
I wanted to like this more, as it's kinda cute. Problem is it's also a bit too silly.
Spider's Web 2002,  R)
Spider's Web
For B-movie actors Baldwin and Wuhrer are not bad, and neither is this movie, though it gets a little too convoluted toward the end.
Queen of the Damned 2002,  R)
Queen of the Damned
I had a fonder memory of this than what proved to be true. Lestat and Jesse were horribly annoying. In it's own fasion, as lame as Twilight. The only redeeming factor was Aaliyah as the vampire queen. She stole the show, as she so often did.
The Skulls 2 2002,  R)
The Skulls 2
Much weaker than the original, but just entertaining enough not to be a total waste. Some horrible music though.
Roger Dodger 2002,  R)
Roger Dodger
Had this movie continued down it's dark descent it could've been a notch better. It certainly wasn't very comedic; I found it quite Edmond-like. Roger is a pretentious, disgusting, unhappy creep - something his nephew appeared to be realizing. But, based on the ending, I believe we are actually supposed to like this guy. Or perhaps he was attempting to save his dead soul. Either way, this movie was a dud.
Cube 2 - Hypercube 2003,  R)
Cube 2 - Hypercube
Here's a prime example of how a bigger budget does not make a better film.
Ice Age 2002,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D 2002,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 3D
The abomination of the Star Wars saga continues. Almost from the get-go I just wanted this to be over. There were a couple interesting pieces to the historical plot puzzle but mostly this was just an overdone special effects fest with wooden dialogue (particularly Samuel Jackson), ridiculous situations, and corny humor. Ewan McGregor was the only bright spot as a younger Obi Wan. At least we weren't subjected to much of the most annoying character in film history - Jar Jar Binks.
Bare Witness 2001,  R)
Bare Witness
I like this movie than it actually is. A decent B-movie.
fear dot com (FeardotCom) 2002,  R)
fear dot com (FeardotCom)
Ridiculously lame and blatant ripoff of Ringu. And I wish stupid movies wouldn't pretentiously leave themselves open for sequels.
Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled 2002,  R)
In My Skin (Dans ma peau) 2002,  Unrated)
In My Skin (Dans ma peau)
While for the most part I found de Van's directing to be quite good, this film just got too weird for my tastes.
Highway 2001,  R)
Highway
Despite an all-star cast, this wannabe cult film was weak and aimless.
Russian Ark 2002,  G)
Russian Ark
Respectably shot in one take, featuring beautiful costuming and the stunning Hermitage Museuem, but overall boring in it's lack of a storyline.
The Greenskeeper 2003,  R)
The Greenskeeper
If you're into cheesy slashers then this is for you. Enough tongue-in-cheek humor to provide some entertainment even if you're not. Musical score by Kip Winger...enough said.
Guardians of the Frontier 2002,  Unrated)
Guardians of the Frontier
Breillat-like in scope and delivery; I appreciated the strangeness but just didn't find it deep enough to be very interesting.
Japón 2003,  R)
Japón
The only thing this movie does well is showing animals being treated like shit. What a piece of garbage...
Lana's Rain 2004,  R)
Lana's Rain
This had about a 10-minute stretch of looking up toward the end, the rest was nondescript.
Men with Brooms 2002,  R)
Men with Brooms
It's too bad the most likeable character died in the opening scene...
Unspeakable 2003,  R)
Unspeakable
Quite bad; no focus of any kind.
Open My Heart 2004,  Unrated)
Austin Powers in Goldmember 2002,  PG-13)
The Backlot Murders 2002,  R)
The Backlot Murders
Pretty stupid.
Teenage Caveman 2002,  R)
Novo 2005,  R)
Novo
This was a bit too weird, and just not very good.
Die Another Day 2002,  PG-13)
Die Another Day
(This movie epitomizes why Halle Berry is an overrated actress; but she's not even the worst here - that dishonor goes to Madonna). Not only the worst Bond movie, but one of the worst films ever.
The Tuxedo 2002,  PG-13)
The Tuxedo
This was painful to watch and done before much better as "The Mask."
Hell's Gate 2002,  R)
Hell's Gate
Pretty bad thriller.
Nightstalker 2009,  Unrated)
Nightstalker
This was just silly.
The Sweetest Thing 2002,  R)
The Sweetest Thing
What a waste of 1 1/2 hours. Has perhaps the worst single scene in a movie I've ever seen. Or maybe that's the two worst scenes...
Bomb the System 2003,  R)
Death Factory 2002,  R)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments