close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Movies of 1997

Page Views
Comments
  jjb3332003's Rating My Rating
Good Will Hunting 1997,  R)
Good Will Hunting
Somehow I doubt Ben Affleck had much to do with this classic script...
Chasing Amy 1997,  R)
Chasing Amy
Even better than I remembered. A perfect blend of comedy and drama. Wonderful dialogue and so true-to-life. Definitely my favorite Kevin Smith movie.
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil 1997,  R)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
The side stories and characters are what keep this afloat. I just didn't find this anywhere near as fascinating as my memory served me. (great everything)
L.A. Confidential 1997,  R)
L.A. Confidential
While the mystery of whodunit is lost upon reviewing, a better understanding of both the complexities of the characters and the plot is gained. Great movie.
My Best Friend's Wedding 1997,  PG-13)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 1997,  PG-13)
The Assignment 1997,  R)
The Assignment
I can't believe this movie is not more widely well-known. It's a great action flick that also delves into the mindset of an undercover operative trying to adjust back to life as a civilian with a family. Aidan Quinn's acting is fantastic, with two powerhouse supporting actors in Ben Kingsley and Donald Sutherland. And, while fictionalized, it is also based on the true story of the infamous terrorist Carlos the Jackal. Well-written and great directing to boot.
Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) (Permanent Midnight) 1999,  R)
Open Your Eyes (Abre los ojos) (Permanent Midnight)
Great movie and not at all like I expected; sort of Donnie Darko-like; makes me want to see the Americanized remake - Vanilla Sky
Rosewood 1997,  R)
Rosewood
Solid movie from beginning to end. Great cast, story, and directing. Avoids overly preaching and, like any good message movie, let's the characters' own words and actions do the talking.
Jackie Brown 1997,  R)
Trojan War 1997,  PG-13)
'Til There Was You 1997,  PG-13)
'Til There Was You
cute movie
Picture Perfect 1997,  PG-13)
The Jackal 1997,  R)
Amistad 1997,  R)
Breast Men 1997,  R)
Breast Men
a surprisingly good movie about the making and breaking of the silicone implant inventors' partnership and product
The Wings of the Dove 1997,  R)
Life Is Beautiful (La Vita bella) 1997,  PG-13)
Addicted to Love 1997,  R)
Addicted to Love
Meg and Matthew are so cute together as psycho-stalkers
Fools Rush In 1997,  PG-13)
The Saint 1997,  PG-13)
Anna Karenina 1997,  PG-13)
Private Parts 1997,  R)
Private Parts
you probably have to like Howard Stern to like this
Boogie Nights 1997,  R)
Boogie Nights
What I once thought was classic I now find merely entertaining (with a dash of great music), though it still has one of my favorite scenes of all time.
Murder at 1600 1997,  R)
Murder at 1600
Very entertaining action thriller.
City of Industry 1997,  R)
City of Industry
A bit of Reservoir Dogs in this gritty little flick. Could've been even better but it just seemed to lack that oomph. Nice directing and quality cast.
Hoodlum 1997,  R)
Hoodlum
Underrated gangster flick with Laurence Fishburne reprising his role of Bumpy that he first played in The Cotton Club. All-star cast, great directing, and a nice blend of hard-hitting action and heartstring-pulling sentiment.
Liar Liar 1997,  PG-13)
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion 1997,  R)
In & Out 1997,  PG-13)
I Know What You Did Last Summer 1997,  R)
Winter Sleepers 1997,  R)
Winter Sleepers
Flashes of brilliant directing and an interesting story marred by a couple of misplaced montages.
Gattaca 1997,  PG-13)
Gattaca
I think this movie has a fascinating concept, wonderful message, great score, very good acting and directing. I feel the only thing preventing it from being a great movie are some weaknesses in the premise and some inconsistencies in the characters.
Seven Years in Tibet 1997,  PG-13)
Seven Years in Tibet
Better than I remembered.
Titanic 1997,  PG-13)
Soul Food 1997,  R)
Soul Food
Deep characterizations and a good story.
Ulee's Gold 1997,  R)
Ulee's Gold
Peter Fonda pulls his best Clint Eastwood imitation in this slow-burn drama. Almost from the get-go you feel a pit in your stomach which doesn't dissipate, even at the end. Backed by a solid supporting cast and a wonderful original score.
Lawn Dogs 1998,  R)
En Brazos De La Mujer Madura (In Praise of Older Women) 1997,  Unrated)
En Brazos De La Mujer Madura (In Praise of Older Women)
A fine blend of war and coming-of-age, with a very romantic ending.
187 1997,  R)
Samuel L. Jackson does a great job as a vigilante teacher just trying to do his job amidst the bullshit of a messed up legal and education system. I didn't care for the Gran Torino ending however.
Cop Land 1997,  R)
Cop Land
The build-up was solid, but the ending was a bit hokey. Great cast.
The Fifth Element 1997,  PG-13)
The Butcher Boy 1997,  R)
The Butcher Boy
Some good music in the Christmas Story-on-crack tale of a disturbed boy.
An American Werewolf in Paris 1997,  R)
The Edge 1997,  R)
The Edge
Good movie on survival, human nature, and redemption. Anthony Hopkins is stellar as always, and even Alec Baldwin turns in a solid performance; beautiful cinematography.
Deconstructing Harry 1997,  R)
Beverly Hills Ninja 1997,  PG-13)
Beverly Hills Ninja
Good, clean Chris Farley fun backed by Nicollette Sheridan eye candy.
Kuro no tenshi Vol. 1, (The Black Angel) 1997,  PG)
Kuro no tenshi Vol. 1, (The Black Angel)
A well-directed, cinematically rich, kung fu vengeance flic. It is obviously apparent that the vastly overrated Kill Bill series was strongly influenced by this movie.
The Postman 1997,  R)
Selena 1997,  PG)
Smilla's Sense of Snow 1997,  R)
Smilla's Sense of Snow
The first half is taut and interesting, while the second half degenerates into a second-rate thriller. It seemed quite obvious that there was just not enough time to cover what must be a great book. Dan Brown's Deception Point feels like a blatant rip-off.
Orgazmo 1998,  NC-17)
Le Bossu (On Guard) 1997,  Unrated)
Le Bossu (On Guard)
A plot worthy of Dumas but, alas, the execution is not there.
Cube 1998,  R)
Cube
An obvious influence on the Saw franchise. Like a souped-up THX 1138 - and that's really not saying much.
States Of Control 1997,  Unrated)
States Of Control
Bordering on prententious, yet strangely compelling; definitely weird.
Love Jones 1997,  R)
Love Jones
Decent movie about relationship ups-and-downs.
The Odyssey 1997,  PG-13)
The Odyssey
The supernatural trials and the ending are what make this movie. Eric Roberts was awesome as Eurymachus, but Isabella Rossellini can't help but drag down any movie she's in by a notch.
The Devil's Own 1997,  R)
The Boxer 1997,  R)
The Boxer
Some good boxing and Northern Ireland politics, but overall I found it a tad boring.
Anastasia 1997,  G)
Anastasia
Perhaps if this had stuck to being a musical it could've been salvaged. As it was it was typical animated drivel. Bartok is certainly one of the most annoying supporting characters in film history. And I thought granny never saw Anastasia again?? Pfft.
Bounty Hunters 2 - Hardball 1997,  R)
Hugo Pool 1997,  R)
Hugo Pool
It's Robert Downey Sr, therefore extremely quirky. It was a bit touching at the end however, all the moreso because his wife died from ALS.
Sara 1997,  Unrated)
Sara
A very poor-man's "Leon." This movie could've been much better than it was but the weak directing and questionable writing dragged it down.
Commandments 1997,  R)
Commandments
This movie was pretty dumb, although the ending was all right.
The Game 1997,  R)
The Game
Utterly ridiculous and reeking with pretention throughout. An absolute waste of two hours.
How to Be a Player 1997,  R)
How to Be a Player
Good for some mindless entertainment - and that's about it; movie feels older than what it is.
Affliction 1997,  R)
Affliction
This felt like a poor man's Fargo. Any award nominations for this were grossly overdone.
Cure 1998,  Unrated)
Cure
Boring.
Tomorrow Never Dies 1997,  PG-13)
Tomorrow Never Dies
Like it's predecessor, nothing good about it and plenty bad.
As Good As It Gets 1997,  PG-13)
As Good As It Gets
I am still in shock by the utter stupidity of this movie.
Taste of Cherry (Ta'm e Guilass) 1998,  Unrated)
Taste of Cherry (Ta'm e Guilass)
A movie so boring I had to watch it over a two-day period.
The Relic 1997,  R)
The Relic
This is pretty silly.
Dangerous Ground 1997,  R)
Dangerous Ground
Ice Cube is at the bottom of his acting game, and the characters and execution are just plain silly. Thankfully Elizabeth Hurley is her hot self to salvage any shred of reason to watch this movie.
Starship Troopers 1997,  R)
Starship Troopers
At first the cheese was manageable, but when they started fighting aliens it got just plain stupid. I assume the novel does a much more effective job of conveying the satirical message of militaristic propaganda than the film, where it is secondary to special effects-driven mass appeal and undoubtedly lost on the ignorant.
Wag the Dog 1997,  R)
Wag the Dog
Even more lame than I remembered.
Another 9 1/2 Weeks 1997,  R)
Another 9 1/2 Weeks
Almost as bad as Wild Orchid.
Career Girls 1997,  R)
Career Girls
Boring and British...not a good combination.
Human Desires 1997,  R)
Hercules 1997,  G)
Hercules
horrible...even for a Disney movie.
The Haunted Sea 1997,  R)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments