close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Movies of 1989

Page Views
Comments
  jjb3332003's Rating My Rating
Casualties of War 1989,  R)
Glory 1989,  R)
Glory
One of the best war movies ever; as much for the fully-fleshed characters as for the actual fighting scenes themselves. By the end, during their heroic yet hopeless charge, you can't help but feel a knot in your stomach. The musical score is wonderful, as are the acting performances (though I do feel Morgan Freeman was more deserving than Denzel Washington for Best Supporting Actor). The constant contrast shown throughout between life and death is a tribute to the fabulous directing job by Edward Zwick as well. And, as much as I have heard complaints about Matthew Broderick, he was ideal for this role; not only because he is a talented actor, but because he did not fit the part. And that was the whole point.
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 1989,  PG-13)
Born on the Fourth of July 1989,  R)
Uncle Buck 1989,  PG)
Say Anything... 1989,  PG-13)
Dead Poets Society 1989,  PG)
Dead Poets Society
Very good movie, but not quite as powerful as I remember it.
The Rachel Papers 1989,  R)
The Rachel Papers
a pleasantly surprising get-the-girl 80's flick - Brit style
When Harry Met Sally 1989,  R)
Harlem Nights 1989,  R)
Valmont 1989,  R)
Valmont
I liked Dangerous Liaisons better - though not by much; great casting..
Licence To Kill 1989,  R)
Licence To Kill
While full of some plot weaknesses, this is one of the best of the "other" James Bond movies.
Road House 1989,  R)
Road House
Not as cheesy as I would've thought. Basically an Americanized version of The Big Boss. Sam Elliott rocks!
Crimes and Misdemeanors 1989,  PG-13)
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Typically good Woody Allen.
UHF 1989,  PG)
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids 1989,  PG)
The Abyss 1989,  PG-13)
Shirley Valentine 1989,  R)
Old Gringo 1989,  R)
Batman 1989,  PG-13)
The Little Mermaid 1989,  G)
Triumph of the Spirit 2000,  R)
Triumph of the Spirit
Another decent WWII story. Boxing actually plays very little into the plot.
Dead Calm 1989,  R)
Dead Calm
Entertaining and mildly thrilling but has perhaps one of the dumbest endings I have ever seen. A little more background into the story of the boat and Billy Zane's character would've been nice too. And their son dying in the beginning added absolutely nothing to the plotline.
Do the Right Thing 1989,  R)
Do the Right Thing
I have no idea why this movie is regarded highly. It's very average, and Spike Lee is very overrated.
Who's Harry Crumb? 1989,  PG-13)
Bloodhounds of Broadway 1989,  PG)
Bloodhounds of Broadway
Not bad, but not that great either. The Cotton Club is a much better period piece during the same era.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989,  PG-13)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Though not as bad as I remembered, it is still by far the weakest of the trio. The supporting cast of stooges (yes, even Sean Connery), the annoying Elsa, and some horrible special fx drag this down.
Cat Chaser 1989,  R)
Mystery Train 1989,  R)
Mystery Train
An obvious influence on the works of Tarantino, but I found this rather pedestrian.
Dr. Alien 1988,  R)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil 1989,  R)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
I thought this would be funnier.
Her Alibi 1989,  PG)
Her Alibi
I love Tom Selleck but he has to have one of the worst track records in picking movies. Mildly entertaining throughout, but a bit too silly at times, and I really just can't respect any movie that makes light of any animal dying.
Night Visitor 1989,  R)
Night Visitor
A blend of Nightmare On Elm Street meets 80's teen comedy. Elliott Gould and Shannon Tweed were good in some of their scenes. Otherwise nothing too memorable here.
We're No Angels 1989,  PG-13)
Cyborg 1989,  R)
Cyborg
Really quite muddled and bad.
Going Overboard 1994,  R)
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 1989,  PG)
Weekend at Bernie's 1989,  PG-13)
Weekend at Bernie's
A prime example of 80's silliness. No, that's not a compliment.
Shotgun 1989,  Unrated)
Shotgun
By no means is this a GOOD movie, but it was actually pretty funny and not a bad watch at all. The end fight was awesome, and who really cares if it was edited like crap?
Lethal Weapon 2 1989,  R)
Lethal Weapon 2
They should've left it alone after the first one. There's nothing good to say here.
Hellgate 1989,  R)
Hellgate
Silly 80's horror.
Paura nel Buio (Fear in the Dark) (Hitcher in the Dark ) 1989,  R)
Paura nel Buio (Fear in the Dark) (Hitcher in the Dark )
So bad it was almost good. But then it just dragged on and on.
The Toxic Avenger, Part II 1989,  R)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child 1989,  R)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child
After the first one these just aren't worth watching. There's really no plot, just segues from one ridiculous episode to the next.
Vice Academy (Vicebusters) 1988,  R)
Terminal Force 1988,  R)
Caged Fury 1990,  R)
Caged Fury
Bad - even by women-in-prison standards.
Kinski Paganini 1989,  Unrated)
Kinski Paganini
Horribly boring with shoddy production value and editing, though I hear the producers' version is at least of better quality.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments