close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Movies in 2010

1. BondFiction
  2. Dave

ranking this shit as i see it

Page Views
Comments
  BondFiction's Rating My Rating
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird 2010,  R)
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird
A little-seen Korean western/comedy that deserved a much bigger release in the U.S. The action scenes are phenomenal, the characters are great, and the director absolutely nailed this crazy pseudo-Leone style, updated for modern films. Awesome.
The Social Network 2010,  PG-13)
The Social Network
this was excellent. i mean every aspect of this thing, from sorkin's fast-paced script to the all-around fantastic performances to trent reznor's terrific score. the whole thing works. easily one of the best movies of 2010.
I Saw the Devil 2011,  Unrated)
I Saw the Devil
Magnificent.
The Town 2010,  R)
The Town
This was right up my alley. Just a hard-boiled crime story through and through, pulled off really well. The action scenes rivaled Inception as some of the best this year.
Inception 2010,  PG-13)
Inception
Just gonna paste a review i typed elsewhere: "Yo I just got back from this. I want to turn around and see it again but it's 3 fucking AM and they aren't showing it.

You probably won't "get" this at first. I didn't. In the early scenes, a lot is implied and it's kind of tough to figure out what's going on. Plus they chose Ken Watanabe to drive the plot forward and his English is hard to understand.

But as the movie got deeper and deeper and the laid out more of its world and its rules, I really got into it. And that's when I thought it became fucking awesome.

I really think Chris Nolan is absolutely perfect in how he builds tension in his films, second probably to only Paul Thomas Anderson. That music swells and there's so much shit going on and it keeps you pinned to the edge of your seat. At one point there are three different action sequences going on in three different levels of their target's subconscious. It's amazing. It's been so long since I've seen an action movie that actually challenges an audience to think and come up with their own conclusions. I hate to use the old cliché "breath of fresh air", but this movie really is. And that's why I think it might not catch on with audiences, because I'm not sure if that's what people are looking for.

But anyway, go see this. If you like Nolan's films or shit like The Matrix, you will definitely dig it. I thought it rocked. 5 Zero Gravity Joseph Gordon-Levitt fight scenes out of 5. He is so handsome"
Toy Story 3 2010,  G)
Toy Story 3
Just absolutely perfect. I can't believe Pixar's success rate. This film was fantastic, easily my favorite of the year so far.
Chugyeogja (The Chaser) 2008,  R)
Chugyeogja (The Chaser)
Technically this was released in '08 in Korea, but it didn't receive a proper American release until 2010, which is why I'm putting it on my best of the year list. This is an awesome fucking thriller. Really tense and beautifully violent.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 2010,  PG-13)
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
copy/pasted from elsewhere: "Behind the visual effects and pop culture references, the movie was actually a pretty great meditation on love and maturity. It was about adult relationships. One of the reasons I like Edgar Wright's work so much is that there's always an emotional throughline--whether it be about a romantic couple or just friends. There's always something driving the characters and keeping you watching. Here, beyond the the snarky dialogue and hipster bullshit, there's a real relationship between two people, baggage and all. That's what makes the action so great, because the people are actually fighting for something. I suppose it depends on how likable or believable you find the characters though, or you'll be left feeling hollow, like some reviewers.

Personally, I thought the film was great. The humor was fast-paced and fresh, the action scenes were visually striking, and Edgar Wright's direction remains as top-notch as ever. I give it 2 Vegan Police out of 2
True Grit 2010,  PG-13)
True Grit
cowboys are badass as fuck. great cast all around. I CAN'T DO NOTHIN' FOR YA SON
The Fighter 2010,  R)
The Fighter
really great performances and dialogue raised the overly cliche plot. it was like rocky with crack smoking
Exit Through The Gift Shop 2010,  R)
A Prophet (Un prophete) 2010,  R)
A Prophet (Un prophete)
Much like all the other foreign films on this 2010 list, this movie didn't see U.S. release until this year. Anyway, I'd equate this almost to a modern day Godfather--certainly the scope isn't as epic, but the character arc is just as solid and I really loved everything about this movie.
Four Lions 2010,  R)
Four Lions
This movie kind of flew under my radar for a while so I'm glad I caught word of it, because it's quite possibly one of the funniest films I've ever seen. The dark subject matter and style might not be for everyone, but fuck it, not every film can be. I felt that juxtaposing broad slapstick and idiotic characters with the very potent backdrop of the Taliban made a fucking hilarious combination.
Black Swan 2010,  R)
Black Swan
I get the feeling a lot of people won't like this movie because it doesn't explain much and doesn't put a period on everything. But I loved it. It was fucking crazy and brilliant and beautiful. Darren Aronofsky can do no wrong in my mind.
Cyrus 2010,  R)
Cyrus
Despite having a stupid-ass name, I really like the mumblecore genre. Everything feels real and grounded, and by melding this style with the improvisational wonders that are John C. Reilly and Jonah Hill, the Duplass brothers crafted a really great romantic comedy.
Restrepo 2010,  R)
Restrepo
Absolutely fascinating documentary. Props go out not only to the soldiers who risked their lives but the filmmakers as well. This is, as they say, "a must-see".
Animal Kingdom 2010,  R)
Animal Kingdom
Any shortcomings this movie may have had I completely forget thanks to that stunner of a fucking ending. Seriously. Just awesome.
The Ghost Writer 2010,  PG-13)
The Ghost Writer
this is a really great 70s conspiracy thriller throwback through and through. sure, it gleans a lot of its story from today's headlines, but the methodical pace and underlying paranoia are straight out of something akin to "the conversation", not unlike the new amc series 'rubicon'. without spoiling anything, my favorite shot in the film is the very last--it's equal parts heartbreaking, mesmerizing and perfectly fitting. Great movie.
The Other Guys 2010,  PG-13)
The Other Guys
It's no Hot Fuzz or anything, but still a great buddy cop parody in its own right. McKay-Ferrell haven't let me down yet.
A Serbian Film (Srpski film) 2010,  Unrated)
A Serbian Film (Srpski film)
Holy shit. I am still kind of baffled by what I just watched. But that was one of the most captivating and insane films I've seen in a long time.
Kick-Ass 2010,  R)
Kick-Ass
this movie was hella rad. it was like watching a line of cocaine come to life and then shoot itself.
MacGruber 2010,  R)
MacGruber
Absolutely fucking hilariously stupid. One of the dumbest, greatest, action movie parodies ever made
Shutter Island 2010,  R)
Shutter Island
I thought this was great until the the third act. Shutter Island falls apart with a cliche, obvious ending; up until the last 15 minutes, it's a wonderful psychological thriller.
Winter's Bone 2010,  R)
Winter's Bone
Bleak, depressing, and done in a neo-noir style...so basically this was right up my alley. It's a bit slow moving but gets really, really tense in its second half. Great performance by Jennifer Lawrence, but the shining star here is John Hawkes.
Get Him to the Greek 2010,  R)
Get Him to the Greek
As the plot gets more and more insane, the movie gets funnier and funnier. Diddy was hilarious. Not the best Apatow-produced movie by any means but it doesn't tarnish his legacy or anything. there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes
Due Date 2010,  R)
Due Date
This movie was pretty funny. I doubt a lot of people will enjoy it, though; Downey basically plays the world's biggest shit head (he punches a child in the stomach) and Galifianakis plays the world's biggest buffoon (I could never see anyone pulling some of the shit he pulls, but the movie never shoots for realism). So you've got two unlikable leads stuck in a close proximity for 90 minutes, but I thought it worked somehow. Both actors brought a lot of pathos to their roles, and the situations, while a tad 'trite' as losers say, are raised by the cast. There's some great cameos by Matt Walsh, RZA, Danny McBride, Juliette Lewis, Todd Phillips and some other people. Jamie Foxx shows up for a little bit.

Anyway it was cool.
Piranha 3-D 2010,  R)
Piranha 3-D
Absolutely just barrels of fucking b-grade, cheesy fun. It knows exactly what it is and delivers exactly what you'd expect. Piranha 3D doesn't overstay its welcome, it just dumps buckets of three dimensional titties and blood on the audience and runs. Beautiful.
Dinner for Schmucks 2010,  PG-13)
Dinner for Schmucks
Pretty goddamned funny. It was sappy in parts but I think the cast really sold it. All in all it was a good way to kill two hours on a hot afternoon.
The Crazies 2010,  R)
The Crazies
Really tense, taut thriller. Timothy Olyphant was great as usual. If they had shied away from the government point of view and the cliché explanation of the virus, I would have enjoyed it more. I thought it worked really well as a story of just a few small town folks in over their heads. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by this.
The A-Team 2010,  PG-13)
The A-Team
Really dumb fun. Great cast, but the action started to feel a bit derivative toward the end. Needed more titties, too.
Hot Tub Time Machine 2010,  R)
Hot Tub Time Machine
Walks a fine line between stupidity and totally fucking awesome, and i mean that in the best way possible
Iron Man 2 2010,  PG-13)
Iron Man 2
Ultimately not horrible and not very great either. I can't wait for Avengers though
Death at a Funeral 2010,  R)
Death at a Funeral
"It's just like Who's Your Caddy at a funeral. Honestly, I though this was underrated. I really enjoyed pretty much everything with James Marsden.
Predators 2010,  R)
Predators
at times groan-inducing, at other times totally badass. third act runs out of steam but for the most part it is a rad predator movie, easily the best since the original.
She's Out of My League 2010,  R)
She's Out of My League
pretty cliche and predictable, but it had a good cast. i liked the part where the dog licked the semen off his dick, every movie should have that.
Date Night 2010,  PG-13)
Date Night
tina fey and steve carell had great chemistry, but they deserve a much better script than this. it was so cliché. lots of wasted talent
The Expendables 2010,  R)
The Expendables
I was sorely disappointed in this movie. You know that awesome scene in the hallway where it's just these muscled madmen beating the sweet fuck out of every single dude that shows up and then Terry Crews bursts in with a Call of Duty shotgun and starts blasting dudes into chunks and there's gore spewing everywhere and Jason Statham unnecessarily pumps an entire handgun clip into a guy's stomach and then later he kicks some poor bastard's head causing his neck to snap? And then Terry Crews shouts "You better remember this at Christmas!" which is one of the most stupid-rad one liners in recent memory. Do you remember that scene?

Why wasn't the whole movie like that?

Aside from a couple bright spots, the first 75 minutes of this film were a hopelessly boring exercise in mediocrity. The action was, as stated, poorly edited (at times sped up to Three Stooges level of hilarity) and the acting was lifeless, with only Dolph Lungren, perhaps happy to be in a theatrical release for once, seeming to have any fun.

I hate to poop on this film so much but it was such a letdown, in my eyes. All the cheesy 80's-style fun that was promised by Stallone and the advertisements only came during the last stretch of action. And you can't get by on 20% of a good movie.
Splice 2010,  R)
Splice
It's hard to review a movie like this because it seemed to me to be intentionally cheesy. It was like an homage to old school creature feature B-movies but done with a straight face. Kind of an odd film.
Cop Out 2010,  R)
Cop Out
ugh, what a waste of potential. the whole movie needed seann william scott in it, because he was literally the only one who seemed to be having fun
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010,  R)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
this was just too one-note and uninteresting for me to even finish. in fact, i fell asleep halfway through and AHHH IT'S FREDDDYYYY
Grown Ups 2010,  PG-13)
Grown Ups
1/2 for "Idi Amin with a propellor on your head", 1/2 for Steve Buscemi's cameo and 1/2 for Tim Meadows showing up just to say "BOOYAH" twice. I think the characters laughed more at each other than I did at them.
Youth in Revolt 2010,  R)
Youth in Revolt
doo-doo
Operation: Endgame 2010,  R)
Operation: Endgame
i never thought a movie about a bunch of comedians brutally murdering each other could be so boring
127 Hours 2010,  R)
127 Hours
the best part was the part with scooby doo
Blue Valentine 2010,  R)
Blue Valentine
i would never divorce ryan gosling
The King's Speech 2010,  PG-13)
The King's Speech
cute movie but overrated. learn to talk good ya limey tea-drinker

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments