1. oingoboingo
  2. Dr. F

Movies I watched

Page Views
Comments
  oingoboingo's Rating My Rating
Les MisÚrables 2012,  PG-13)
Les MisÚrables
The story is a little over the top, did Javert REALLY have to go to all that trouble just to catch Jean Valjean? Over all those years too, for what? and then he killed himself because he was spared? WHAT THE HELL? Apart from that I liked some of it but Hugh Jackman & Russel Crowe's singing was awful. Because i know nothing about Les Miserables I may sound very ignorant. I don't understand why they keep repeating the same tune over and over again, i don't understand why they spend so long beating around the bush with it. I have never seen a musical where they sing EVERY SINGLE LINE pretty much, i thought that was opera or something? If this was half an hour shorter perhaps it'd be better. Ehh...I think i'll just go and watch Rocky Horror for therapy. And what's with the British accents and HBC always playing cockney prostitutes?
Gangster Squad 2013,  R)
Gangster Squad
As ever It seems I have the unpopular opinion of really enjoying this. I was down in the dumps and I'd wanted to see this, I like gangsters and the cast looked appealing, i just wanted a good time. I had that good time, it's not exactly subtle, from the beginning scene you get a taste of violence, there are guns and explosions and strangling, all of which you'd expect. I haven't seen many films of 1940's/50's L.A cops V gangsters so i can't say i'm tired of the format. I know it is all a little cliche. I didn't like the fact that there wasn't much else to the characters. For it to be titled Gangster Squad you'd have thought that the squad would get a look in, sadly not. Overall i'd love to see this again, buy it even. I must also add that the trailer didn't do it any favors either. When I saw the trailer I wouldn't have been enticed to watch it. I didn't particularly like Sean Penn in this at times. I'd have loved to have seen more of Giovanni Ribisi and Michael Pena
Die Hard 1988,  R)
Die Hard
A great movie, it has the classic characteristics of any good action adventure. Though I found Bruce Willis's acting quite flat at the beginning especially with the dialogue but as soon as everything got going it was alright. I'm not sure as to why this has such a big reputation as being so brilliant, only that i found it generally average at best but perhaps i'm overlooking things that I would otherwise think nothing of. Alan Rickman plays Hans very smoothly but what's with all the weird hair styles with his henchman? I really enjoyed Die Hard, i hope to see it again sometime.
The Others 2001,  PG-13)
The Others
I gave up with it after an hour and twenty minutes. It's an interesting premise but it takes too long to go anywhere. It might just be that the air is so humid that i can't stand concentrating on anything though. Two stars for the production and what seems good acting.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1923,  PG)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Lon Chaney truly made Quasimodo creepy, especially at the beginning. Perhaps it was the soundtrack that provided me with this unnerving feeling but his jerky movements weirded me out. Now my low rating of this will probably reflect the quality of the film i saw this on. It is truly awful. I refuse to buy any more DVD's from this certain distribution company because they're always bad quality and deter my enjoyment. I'm sure there are better improved versions on youtube.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1996,  G)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
This has to be one of my favorites. I love the soundtrack by Alan Menken, which makes this movie. I don't know...I'm not really mad on Disney but this is one that I'd take to my grave with me. I watched it recently and realized how dark it is, especially when comparing it to the Disney of today. I guess that's probably why it has such a deep establishment within me. I can't help but relate to Quasimodo more than any other Disney character. I've never read the Victor Hugo book so i can't say if this is a true adaptation, i've seen the classic Hunchback movies which obviously present the story in that straight way but i suppose this is comfort watching.
Django Unchained 2012,  R)
Django Unchained
I'm not sure why my previous review has been deleted, surely Flixster hasn't got some sort of mental disorder, has it? Django Unchained is a great watch, with the wonderfully charismatic Christoph Waltz who i could just fall in love with - and i secretly didn't just say that not so secretly. The whole thing is very engrossing but i must admit as soon as they get to Leonardo DiCaprio in the story it takes a turn for the worse even if it is still completely compelling, i'm also not so sure about the out of place hip-hop soundtrack. I think overall this could have been edited down a little but i'm not complaining really, i do love the vision of Quentin Tarantino. The KKK scene is very funny!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1992,  PG-13)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Great campy vampire movie, i just love going back to the awesome 90s fashion. I love Donald Sutherland as Merrick and Paul Reubens is hilarious as always, especially in that get up. It's not as good as the following series, in comparison it looks awful but as a stand alone it's not too bad.
Predator 1987,  R)
Predator
You're ghosting us motherfucker. This is a great action movie, with all that you'd expect; Dumb dialogue, though memorable. Blood, guts, brawn, explosions, big guns, little time for standing around & that slightly cheesy 80's movie score. the Predator is creepy as hell, and i didn't expect for so many of the crew to get killed. I didn't foresee Billy giving himself up to the creature at all! Arnie, as always, brilliant. I felt that at the end the Predator unnaturally held back it's power for the sake of Dutch winning in the plot, that or it was more sadistic than i thought.
Shadow of the Vampire 2000,  R)
Shadow of the Vampire
Shadow of the Vampire was really good, this version of Nosferatu played by Willem Dafoe was actually pretty creepy, and when he ate that bat. Urghh... i just cannot stand liquid stuff dripping from people's mouths *SHIVER*. I think perhaps the movie would have been better if it hadn't revealed who Schreck really was right near the beginning. I'd say those interested especially in early film-making and classic vampires should take a look. I love John Malkovich! There's just something oddly creepy but also attractive about him.
The Goonies 1985,  PG)
The Goonies
I wasn't sure of The Goonies at first, it seemed overly loud with all the kids shouting over each other but after a time i warmed to the group's antics, some actually made me laugh out loud, which i'm not prone to. I loved the adventure here, the 'bad guys' are a little odd but i give them credit because they're not the average kids adventure film antagonists, especially that MAMA! I liked The Goonies, but i'm still not sure why its so revered.
She's Out of My League 2010,  R)
She's Out of My League
She's Out of My League was generally a good viewing, i was actually ridiculously tired before i started watching this but TV does strange things to me and so i got drawn in by the likable character of Kirk and what would happen to him. I didn't find it funny by far, i never do with these kinds of movies, so to me it was a rom without the com. I liked the character of Devon. That's about it. I wouldn't watch it again but seeing it wasn't horrible either.
Source Code 2011,  PG-13)
Source Code
Source Code was very enjoyable. Each repeat of the train memory didn't prove to be tiresome which i had wondered if it would. I didn't get bored throughout and Jake Gyllenhaal was great. I found it paced quite quickly and i enjoyed Vera Farmiga as Goodwin. Before watching i was tired from moving house but i kept awake for this. Now i am so tired i can't sleep...

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments