Films I Saw in 2013

1. fb507963176
  2. Patrick

Page Views
Comments
  fb507963176's Rating My Rating
Gangster Squad 2013,  R)
Gangster Squad
Not as terrible as most of the reviews make it out to be, it's your average gangster film with good guys vs. bad guys with very little "grey" in between. The cinematography is rather sumptuous and the cast makes due with the threadbare plot. However, once you see another cops vs. mob movie, you'll quickly realize that the majority of scenes are taken from other sources. For example, the sequence where O'Mara follows a trail of blood into his home is taken almost shot for shot from "The Untouchables." Overall, it's entertaining if you're looking for a decent action movie, but this is by no means a watershed moment for the genre.
Texas Chainsaw 2013,  R)
Texas Chainsaw
I really wanted to like this, but it's a by-the-numbers horror movie. A few corny one-liners and some oddly humorous getaways save it from being unbearable. However, I am interested in watching the other films in the series to see how it contributes to the franchise as a whole.
The Untouchables 1987,  R)
The Untouchables
Great performances and great direction make this a superb action film. I wish Costner was a bit more charismatic as Eliot Ness, but overall the pieces come together for a great movie.
Mama 2013,  PG-13)
Pitch Perfect 2012,  PG-13)
Pitch Perfect
Great acting by everyone in the cast and a fun, spirited look at finding yourself in college. Supporting actress Rebel Wilson should get her own tv series or starring role in a movie. It's a tad too perfect, but then again, it's only a movie.
Jack the Giant Slayer 2013,  PG-13)
Jack the Giant Slayer
The film doesn't do much to create its own mythology, but the cast does go the extra mile to make the work believable. Nothing groundbreaking, but it provides decent entertainment on a lazy afternoon.
Ordinary People 1980,  R)
Oz the Great and Powerful 2013,  PG)
Oz the Great and Powerful
While exciting at the beginning and finishing with a rousing ending, the film drags towards the middle and it can't match the magic and wonderment of the original. And don't get me started on its characterization of the female cast members.
The Croods 2013,  PG)
The Croods
I went into this expecting to see a story about a young woman coming of age, but instead I was treated to a tried and terrible tale of how girls can't do anything without me in their lives. I'll blame it on the marketing, but this came off as a really shallow, typical film that doesn't provide tweens with the strong female characters they need in their lives. But other than that, the animation is great. So, yeah, nothing special and I hope any sequel gives the young daughter more to do than fawn over her boyfriend.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 2013,  PG-13)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
While the action scenes are pretty by the books and the plot isn't too complicated, I would have liked to have seen more comedic elements. The scenes between Duke and Roadblock are actually pretty humours, and Jonathan Pryce as the President added much needed comic relief to the film. Looking forward to the sequel!
Spice World 1997,  PG)
Spice World
A gonzo parody of nearly every type of film genre, this is a wild fun send up of fame, fortune, and the 90s. It knows what it wants to do and does it VERY well. It's one big joke that everyone is in on and has fun doing it.
Soapdish 1991,  PG-13)
Soapdish
This is an entertaining, campy romp through some backstage drama of a soap opera. While soaps aren't as relevant as they were two decades ago, it does in a way predict how the line between scripted fiction and "reality" shows would eventually blend into the current publicity/entertainment machine Hollywood now aims for. And also, Cathy Moriarty's scream at the end makes the whole movie worth it.
Iron Man 3 2013,  PG-13)
Iron Man 3
Robert Downey Jr and Guy Pearce turn in some excellent scenes, and there are some really great moments between Tony Stark and his kid sidekick. Ben Kingsley also adds a fantastic element to the film. However, and maybe because the "inbetween" scenes are really so good, the action elements seem average. Otherwise, an interesting cap on the Iron Man trilogy section of Marvel's film empire. It fits together as its own series while propelling itself out of the Avengers movie. I would have appreciated more of a lead into the next few movies, but having Iron Man 3 stand on its own probably makes more sense.
Oblivion 2013,  PG-13)
Oblivion
It's a gorgeous look into the future, but the pacing and lack of any major thrills sucks the excitement out of what could be an interesting look at identity in post-apocalyptic, mechanized society. Entertaining and pretty, but not much else going on.
The Wolverine 2013,  PG-13)
The Wolverine
Well, that happened. While the action sequences were interesting, there were no scenes that really stood out as unique or excellent. Hugh Jackman does a fair enough job as Logan, but at the end of the day, the story failed to hook me in and care about any of the characters. The cheesy dialogue, matched with some really terrible dubbing for one of the antagonists, made me wonder why I saw this and not just skipped to "Days of Future Past."
Pacific Rim 2013,  PG-13)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments