close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Share this List

Share this link by email, IM, or post it anywhere

Favorite Movies of All Time

1. fb1442685419
  2. Alex

Page Views
Comments
  fb1442685419's Rating My Rating
Spirited Away 2001,  PG)
Spirited Away
Strange, beautiful, dazzling - but most of all, magical. I've never seen a world so gorgeously rendered, characters so vivid, or a story with more heart than this one. Chihiro, Haku, and the rest of the large cast of characters burst with energy and leap off the screen with incredible ease, and the story consistently drew me in with one exciting event after another - in the end, the final half hour offers some of the most dazzling scenes ever put to film, managing to hit all the right notes at all the right times. Joe Hisaishi's beautiful score adds depth, emotion, and power to quiet scenes while adding passion and thrills to the fast-paced scenes, and the voice cast does an extraordinary job delivering their lines. Spirited Away is without a doubt Miyazaki's finest work to date, the most breathtaking film experience I've ever had, an essential part of my childhood, my favorite animated film of all time, and maybe most important of all, my favorite film of all time.
Inception 2010,  PG-13)
Inception
This is one of the most unique films I've ever seen, demanding several viewings that leave you just as in awe as the previous viewing. The plot keeps you engaged throughout, the visuals are outstanding, the ensemble cast perfect - it just doesn't get much better than this.
Star Trek 2009,  PG-13)
Star Trek
Not only is this a great introduction to the series for the uninitiated (like myself), but it's one of the most accessible and entertaining movies to be released in 2009. The space battles are some of the finest ever put to screen, and the cast is one of the best I've seen in a sci-fi movie to date. With its blend of space action, a strong story, and plenty of humor, Star Trek is one movie that is hard to resist, and one of the best sci-fi movies of the past decade.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2005,  PG-13)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
You'll laugh, you'll gasp, you'll cheer, you'll cry - Mike Newell really blew this movie out of the water, and has crafted one of my favorite films of all time. Dan, Rupert, and Emma completely knock their performances out of the park, giving some of the most emotionally resonant and passionate performances in their career, which makes them an absolute joy to watch on screen. While the absence of the Quidditch match in the beginning of the film is a little disappointing, the Triwizard Tournament more than makes up for it: it's easily the most exciting, tense, and downright amazing premise the world of Hogwarts has to offer. If that wasn't enough, the ending proves to be one of the most heart wrenching and epic finales of any fantasy film to date, complemented by stunning visual effects and a beautiful soundtrack (the rendition of Hedwig's theme for the opening titles still gives me chills to this day). While many won't recognize this as the best of the series, I believe that it takes the cake, with Deathly Hallows - Part 2 a close second. What an incredible fantasy film.
The Dark Knight 2008,  PG-13)
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight is not as much a superhero movie as it is an involving film and a modern tragedy. Christopher Nolan pulled no punches here - this is one of the darkest films I've ever seen, with much of the material incredibly mature for a PG-13 film. As a whole, the movie moves at a brisk but confident pace, and each scene with the Joker creates a tense yet relentlessly entertaining environment. Speaking of the Joker, Heath Ledger's performance in this film is breathtaking and terrifying - each scene is disturbing yet oddly comical, and his maniacal laugh and all the little things he brings to the character add greatly to the performance. His performance is a transformation in every sense of the word, flawlessly executed and an incredible send off - Heath's Oscar was incredibly well deserved. Not to say that the other actors are not great as well, though. Christian Bale is still fantastic as Bruce Wayne and Batman, Maggie Gyllenhaal makes for a fantastic Rachel, and the main supporting cast is equally strong. Also, the script is expertly crafted and densely packed, at least for a superhero movie - with a couple exceptions, it's obvious the Nolans took a lot of time and care with it. I have trouble saying The Dark Knight is my favorite superhero film because when I'm watching it, I seem to forget that it is one - which might be why it is such a special movie. It's not a flawless movie, but it's close, and Heath Ledger's performance helps propel this from a great crime drama to a thought-provoking, disturbing, and amazing piece of film. The Dark Knight is not to be missed by any one, and, along with Inception, is one of Christopher Nolan's finest cinematic achievements yet.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments