close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

Best of 2007

1. MANUGINO
  2. Manu

Give a list a short description

Page Views
Comments
  MANUGINO's Rating My Rating
Once 2007,  R)
Once
WOW I'm so happy seeing this film. Totally inspiring, this is the best movie of the year for me and one of my favorite's alltime. I'm just speechless of such a profound simple yet moving story about love. "Once" is a modern-day musical set on the streets of Dublin. Featuring Glen Hansard and his Irish band "The Frames," "Once" tells the story of a busker and an immigrant during an eventful week as they write, rehearse and record songs that reveal their unique love story.
El Orfanato (The Orphanage) 2007,  R)
El Orfanato (The Orphanage)
Great awesome edge of your seat perfect movie. Wow I was speechless of how good this movie was. Laura purchases her beloved childhood orphanage with dreams of restoring and reopening the long abandoned facility as a place for disabled children. Once there, Laura discovers that the new environment awakens her son's imagination, but the ongoing fantasy games he plays with an invisible friend quickly turn into something more disturbing. Upon seeing her family increasingly threatened by the strange occurrences in the house, Laura looks to a group of parapsychologists for help in unraveling the mystery that has taken over the place.
Transformers 2007,  PG-13)
Transformers
Great Movie!!! I have watched it a couple times again staying at the beach and the movie just rocks! A war re-erupts on Earth between two robotic clans, the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons, leaving the fate of mankind hanging in the balance.
No Country for Old Men 2007,  R)
No Country for Old Men
This movie was wildly good wth so much very good acting as well. It's true this is one of the best this year and could posibly win Best Picture either Golden Globes or Oscars but we'll see about that.
I think Javier Bardem brings us a new type of creepy psycho killer with new weapons that totally can give you nightmares I must say. Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon some dead bodies, a stash of heroin and more than $2 million in cash near the Rio Grande. Just a Great Movie!!!
P.S. I Love You 2007,  PG-13)
P.S. I Love You
I love this movie, it was perfect! One of my favorite movies this year. A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her 10 messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life.
300 2007,  R)
I Am Legend 2007,  PG-13)
I Am Legend
Excellent movie! I love this film, can't get enough of it. I enjoyed every second of it.

obert Neville is a scientist who was unable to stop the spread of the terrible virus that was incurable and man-made. Immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and perhaps the world. For three years, Neville has faithfully sent out daily radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But he is not alone. Mutant victims of the plague -- The Infected -- lurk in the shadows... watching Neville's every move... waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered... and quickly running out of time.
Ratatouille 2007,  G)
Feast of Love 2007,  R)
Feast of Love
Really an excellent movie!!! A couple stories about love which they interconect very closely. Love is blind, love is patient, love holds everything. The story is based on a Charles Baxter novel and revolves around a community of friends in Oregon who navigate the sometimes painful incarnations of love.
Rescue Dawn 2007,  PG-13)
Juno 2007,  PG-13)
Juno
Saw it again!!! Excellent and such a heart felt movie in this new age of teens. The movie brings different kinds of issues to us who see the movie which are really true in the world we live in. I absolute loved this film and this kind of movies are always very appreciated from my part.

The film begins with Juno (Ellen Page) staring at a recliner (while drinking a gallon of Sunny-D) telling the audience that it all began with a chair. We see a short flashback of Juno and her best friend, Paulie Bleeker (played by a skinny but flabby Michael Cera). Paulie sits naked in the recliner waiting for Juno. Juno takes off her underwear and sits down on him (the extent of the sex scene to keep it PG-13).

Juno (whom we learn is a smart and fast mouth throughout the movie) then goes to a convenience store to take a pregnancy test. Judging by her conversation with Rollo the clerk (small part played by Rainn Wilson), this is her third test today (hence her drinking all the Sunny-D to produce urine). The test ends up the same as the last two, shes pregnant. She calls (on her hamburger phone) her best friend, Leah. It takes Leah a few minutes to fully comprehend the realization of the position Juno is in. We see a funny clip of Paulie getting ready to run with the track team (with his trademark head and wrist bands). After he steps out of the house, he sees Juno who tells him the news. Paulie supports Junos decision to abort the baby. Juno goes to Women Now to get an abortion. Before entering, she bumps into her classmate Su-Chin. Su-Chin is a lone protestor who quietly and nervously tries to talk Juno out of her abortion. Out of all the arguments, the one that Juno finds remotely interesting is that her baby might have fingernails by now. She encounters a snarky receptionist who tries to give her boysenberry-flavored condoms. Juno eventually decides against the abortion. She meets up with Leah and the two discuss adoption and how to break the news to Junos dad and step mom (Mac and Bren, played by J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney). The other member of her family is her little sister Liberty Bell, whom we dont hear from much in the film.

Juno breaks the news to her folks, who are disappointed but supportive. Juno tells them she wants to give the baby to a couple she and Leah found on the Penny-Saver. She also lets them know who the father is (Mac: Next time I see the Bleeker kid, Im going to punch him in the wiener). Mac goes with Juno to visit the prospective parents, Vanessa and Mark Loring (played very well by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman). Vanessa cant have children and is very excited by Junos cooperation. The couples lawyer seems prepared to negotiate an open adoption (where Juno is updated on the childs development after birth). However, Juno has no interest and would rather have a closed adoption. The couple seems taken aback by how easy Juno is coming off (despite her less than polite attitude). Juno uses their restroom upstairs and bumps into Mark who is looking for something. The two talk about music (the conversation inspired by Marks Les Paul guitar). They seem to have compatible tastes in music and movies. Mark used to be in a band, though now he makes his nice living through commercial jingles. The two jam for a bit on the guitars, before Vanessa frustratingly interrupts so they can get back to business. The meet concludes with Mark and Vanessa agreeing to pay for medical expenses

Juno visits Paulie to hang out. Paulie says that the two should get their band back together after Juno delivers. He also tries to suggest that the two should get back together as a couple. Juno tries to play it off to Paulies disappointment. She suggests he try to get together with Katrina De Voort. Paulie doesnt like the idea, claiming Katrina and her house always smell like soup. Throughout the movie Paulie supports Junos decisions and quietly tries to help her in any way he can. Juno doesnt pay much attention to Paulies support, relying more on her parents as well as the Lorings.

Juno goes with her mother and Leah to get an ultrasound. During their appointment, the technician delivers a few passive-aggressive comments towards Junos teenage pregnancy. Bren reprimands her to Juno and Leahs amusement. Juno makes a few drop-ins to the Lorings (mostly unexpected). Mark is usually the only one home at the time. The two hang out a lot, watching bad horror films and listening to music. We can obviously see a chemistry forming between the two (though Juno may not see the seriousness of it). Eventually Vanessa comes home and Juno shows them pictures from the ultrasound. In a later scene, we see the Lorings in the babys future room. We can sense that Mark isnt as enthusiastic about being a father while Vanessa tries to figure out what to put on the wall. After Juno comes home, Bren warns her about going to see the Lorings so much, especially while Vanessa isnt there since it isnt appropriate. Juno shrugs off the advice. Juno will later see Vanessa at the mall, where she sees how great she is with kids (the kids being children of Vanessas friends). The two see each other and Juno lets her feels the baby.

At school, Juno is given the nastiest and most curious looks. She has to deal with being the only pregnant 16 year old. The two eat lunch by the schools trophy case, while Leah goes on about a few topics; one revolves around her crush on one of the teachers (an older man thing she has). The other is about Paulie asking Katrina to prom. Juno doesnt react so well, but denies she has any feelings for him, after being teased by Leah. Later in the day, she confronts him and the two have an argument at Paulies locker. Paulie holds most of the moral high ground, claiming that Juno is acting immature about the whole thing and how heartbroken he was when Juno claimed they were never a couple.

Juno makes another visit to the Lorings. They listen to All The Young Dudes. Mark says he danced to the song during his prom. The two slow dance to it in the basement, where Mark tells Juno hes leaving Vanessa. Juno is shocked and tries to convince him to stay with her. Mark thought Juno would be happy about the news, but learns that above all, Juno wants the baby to be in a loving family. Juno is about to leave, when Vanessa comes home. She sees Juno crying and stops her from leaving, wanting to know what is going on. Mark comes out with the fact that he isnt ready to be a father. Vanessa tells him that he needs to grow up and that he simply isnt going to make it as a rock star by now. The two fight while Juno makes her way out. She goes home and talks to he father about the need to know that people can be happy with each other. Mac tells her that shell know shes in love, when she finds the person that loves her for her, no matter what situation shes in. She comes to the realization that person is Paulie (though Mac amusingly believes shes talking about dear old dad).

As the Lorings discuss the pending divorce, Juno rings their doorbell and leaves. The two find a note left on their front porch. She then buys a ton of orange tic-tacs (Paulies vice) with Leah. She leaves them in Paulies mailbox to his amusement. After school, Juno goes to see Paulie at his track practice. She tells him, shes in love with him. Hes the ones that accepts her for her (always looking at her face--not her belly, when they talk). Juno calls him the coolest person she knows, and how he doesnt even have to try (Paulie: I try really hard, actually). The two kiss while Leah (from afar) teases them how it while induce the pregnancy.

While at home, Junos water breaks, and the family rushes to the hospital. Juno desperately wants a shot for the pain (incorrectly calling the shot a Spinal Tap). She goes into labor and gives birth to a healthy boy. She didnt want to disturb Paulie about the event since he had a track meet. However, after winning his event and realizing Juno wasnt around, Paulie figures it out and rushes to the hospital. The two decide not to see the child after the birth. Paulie lies next to Juno and holds her. Vanessa goes to the nursery to hold her new baby (the notes said If youre still in, Im still in). Vanessa asks Bren how she looks. Bren sweetly says she looks like a new mom, scared shitless.

After the event, we see Junos life afterwards. Juno says it began with a chair, and ended with a chair (Vanessas rocking chair). We see the babys room, where Vanessa has decided to put Junos note on the wall. Bren has finally bought a puppy (we see throughout the movie she is obsessed with dogs). Juno rides her bike over to Paulies, where he is waiting. She talks about the normalcy about falling in love, then having babiesand how it didnt end up in that order for her. The two play Anyone Else But You on the guitar. Afterwards, Juno kisses him.
Sunshine 2007,  R)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End 2007,  PG-13)
Atonement 2007,  R)
Atonement
The movie is truly an work of art. Truly can be seen as the best film of 2007 although I can't judge it as the best before i see the rest of talented movies as Michael Clayton, Eastern Promises and Charlie Wison's War. In 1935, 13-year-old fledgling writer Briony Tallis and her family live a life of wealth and privilege in their enormous mansion. On the warmest day of the year, the country estate takes on an unsettling hothouse atmosphere, stoking Briony?s vivid imagination. Robbie Turner, the educated son of the family?s housekeeper, carries a torch for Briony?s headstrong older sister Cecilia. Cecilia, he hopes, has comparable feelings; all it will take is one spark for this relationship to combust. When it does, Briony who has a crush on Robbie is compelled to interfere, going so far as accusing Robbie of a crime he did not commit. Cecilia and Robbie declare their love for each other, but he is arrested and with Briony bearing false witness, the course of three lives is changed forever. Briony continues to seek forgiveness for her childhood misdeed. Through a terrible and courageous act of imagination, she finds the path to her uncertain atonement, and to an understanding of the power of enduring love.
American Gangster 2007,  R)
American Gangster
Super great film. Great Story, based on a true story too!

In 1968, the loyal driver, bouncer and collector Frank Lucas witnesses the death of his boss and mentor Bumpy Johnson and finds that Harlem lost its leadership. Frank decides to import heroin direct from the source in Bangkok, establishing a logistic of transportation using the US military airplanes from Vietnam to USA. The quality of his product associated to the trade mark "Blue Magic" and the lower prices bring Frank Lucas to the position of number one distributor of heroin in USA. Meanwhile, in the Essex County, the incorruptible detective Richie Roberts that is studying for the Bar Examination is invited to join and head a Federal Investigation Force of Narcotics, seeking the leaders of the dealers in North America.
The Kite Runner 2007,  PG-13)
The Kite Runner
An excellent movie for sure! This movie remind me alot of The Namesake from last year but much better. Great acting and great emotion from everyone. Spanning from the final days of Afghanistan's monarchy to the atrocities of the Taliban reign, an epic tale of fathers and sons, of friendship and betrayal, an unlikely friendship develops between Amir, the son of a wealthy Afghan businessman, and Hassan, a servant to Amir and his father. During a kite-flying tournament, an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever. As an adult haunted by the childhood betrayal, Amir seeks redemption by returning to his war-torn native land to make peace with himself and reconcile his cowardice.
Waitress 2007,  PG-13)
Waitress
Really just a profound and magnificent film. Keri Ruseel prove to me that she has the talent to be one of the best actresses of our era. WAITRESS is the story of one woman trapped in a life from which she dreams of escape. Jenna's secret ambition is to save enough money from her waitressing job to leave her overbearing and controlling husband. Jenna is a sharp, sassy woman with a gift for making unusual pies whose recipes are inspired by the trials, tribulations and circumstances of her life. An unwanted pregnancy changes the course of events giving her an unexpected confidence via letters to her unborn baby.
Eastern Promises 2007,  R)
Eastern Promises
Great great movie. Russian mafia scares the hell out of me jaja. Viggo portrayed his character so well I was really impressed. The new thriller reteaming acclaimed director David Cronenberg with his A History of Violence leading man Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises is written by Steve Knight. As in the earlier film, director and star together explore the psyche, physicality, and fortunes of a man whose true nature may never be wholly revealed. The mysterious and charismatic Russian born Nikolai Luzhin is a driver for one of London?s most notorious organized crime families of Eastern European origin. The family itself is part of the Vory V Zakone criminal brotherhood. Headed by Semyon, whose courtly charm as the welcoming proprietor of the plush Trans-Siberian restaurant impeccably masks a cold and brutal core, the family?s fortunes are tested by Semyon?s volatile son and enforcer, Kirill (Vincent Cassel), who is more tightly bound to Nikolai than to his own father. But Nikolai?s carefully maintained existence is jarred once he crosses paths at Christmastime with Anna Khitrova (Naomi Watts), a midwife at a North London hospital. Anna is deeply affected by the desperate situation of a young teenager who dies while giving birth to a baby. Anna resolves to try to trace the baby?s lineage and relatives. The girl?s personal diary also survives her; it is written in Russian, and Anna seeks answers in it. Anna?s mother Helen does not discourage her, but Anna?s irascible Russian-born uncle Stepan urges caution. He is right to do so; by delving into the diary, Anna has accidentally unleashed the full fury of the Vory. With Semyon and Kirill closing ranks and Anna pressing her inquiries, Nikolai unexpectedly finds his loyalties divided. The family tightens its grip on him; who can, or should, he trust? Several lives including his own hang in the balance as a harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution reverberates through the darkest corners of both the family and London itself.
Lars and the Real Girl 2007,  PG-13)
Lars and the Real Girl
I absolutely loved this movie and it truly is one of the best of 2007. Ryan Gosling acted so very good and a supporting cast was awesome. A delusional young guy strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet.
Spider-Man 3 2007,  PG-13)
Live Free or Die Hard 2007,  PG-13)
Live Free or Die Hard
Oh Maggie Q i just love you, hottest asian ever!!! Great Movie!!! I saw this movie for the fourth time and just loved it, best of them all!! Action pack full of nonstop adventure. John McClane takes on an Internet-based terrorist organization who is systematically shutting down the United States.

NYPD Detective John McClane lives in Brooklyn, and he's now divorced from Holly Gennero, who lives in San Francisco. John has faced some brutal terrorists in his career, but now, he's about to face what may be his most dangerous enemy yet. John, who occasionally does jobs for the United States Department of Homeland Security, receives a call to bring in a hacker named Matt Farrell, because there has been a breach in an FBI computer system. Farrell is one of the many hackers who are suspected in the attack, and all known hackers are to be questioned. But after John gets to Matt's apartment, a group of men show up and try to kill John and Matt, who barely escape with their lives. As it turns out, a group of terrorists led by Thomas Gabriel are systematically shutting down the United States computer infrastructure. They crash the stock market, crippling America's economy. It turns out that Matt knows enough about hacking to know exactly how Gabriel is shutting down the USA. Gabriel, a disgraced former Department of Defense employee, plans to bring the country to its knees, but he doesn't count on John and Matt figuring out what's going on. Gabriel wants John and Matt out of the way, and for John, the situation becomes personal when an enraged Gabriel kidnaps John's daughter Lucy, who is a student at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Gabriel may think he now has the upper hand on John, but he has no idea how far John is willing to go to rescue Lucy.
Charlie Wilson's War 2007,  R)
Charlie Wilson's War
It's a solid film with great acting with a great story. Charlie Wilson was a bachelor congressman from Texas who had a habit of showing up in hot tubs with strippers and cocaine. His "Good Time Charlie" exterior, however, masked an extraordinary mind, a deep sense of patriotism and a passion for the underdog, and in the early 1980s the underdog was Afghanistan-which had just been brutally invaded by the Russians. Charlie's longtime friend and patron and sometime lover was Joanne Herring, one of the wealthiest women in Texas and a virulent anti-communist. Believing the American response to the Russian invasion was anemic at best, she prods Charlie into doing more for the Mujahideen (Afghan freedom fighters). Charlie's partner in this uphill endeavor is CIA Agent Gust Avrakotos, a blue-collar operative in a company of Ivy League blue bloods. Together, the three of them-Charlie, Joanne and Gust-travel the world to form unlikely alliances among the Pakistanis, Israelis, Egyptians, arms dealers, law makers and a belly dancer.Their success was remarkable. Funding for covert operations against the Soviets went from $5 million to $1 billion annually. The Red Army retreated out of Afghanistan. When asked how a group of peasants was able to deliver such a decisive blow to the army of a superpower, Pakistani President Mohammad Zia ul-Haq responded simply, "Charlie did it."
Hairspray 2007,  PG)
Zodiac 2007,  R)
Paris Je T'aime 2007,  R)
Paris Je T'aime
Very good I liked it alot. In "Paris, je t'aime," celebrated directors from around the world including the Coen Brothers, Gus Van Sant, Gurinder Chadha, Wes Craven, Walter Salles, Alexander Payne and Olivier Assayas have come together to portray Paris in a way never before imagined. Made by a team of contributors as cosmopolitan as the city itself, this portrait of the city is as diverse as its creators' backgrounds and nationalities. With each director telling the story of an unusual encounter in one of the city's neighborhoods, the vignettes go beyond the "postcard" view of Paris to portray aspects of the city rarely seen on the big screen. An outstanding host of actors graces these vignettes with larger-than-life personas. Their performances add even deeper resonance to this affectionate love letter to one of the world's most transcendent cities.
Awake 2007,  R)
Awake
Perfect movie! Great acting by everyone I was very impressed with this film. I never thought this could be one of the best i've seen in 2007 but it sure did shocked me and i'm glad it did. A psychological thriller that tells the story of a man undergoing heart surgery while experiencing a phenomenon called "anesthetic awareness," which leaves him awake but paralyzed throughout the operation. As various obstacles present themselves, his wife must make life-altering decisions while wrestling with her own personal drama.
Across the Universe 2007,  PG-13)
Across the Universe
Very good movie. It's a musical about love involving different historic events in which the couple lived in including Vietnam War, Martin Luther King assasination and Lyndon B. Johnson's government. A romantic musical told mainly through numerous Beatles songs performed by the characters. A young man from Liverpool comes to America during the Vietnam War to find his father. He winds up in Greenwich Village, where he falls in love with an American girl who has grown up sheltered in the suburbs. Together they experience the sweeping changes of America in the late 60's.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford 2007,  R)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
I liked the movie very much it was very well developed and I think Brad Pitt portayed a great Jesse James. "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" delves into the private life and public exploits of America's most notorious outlaw. As the charismatic and unpredictable Jesse James plans his next great robbery, he wages war on his enemies, who are trying to collect the reward money and the glory riding on his capture. But the greatest threat to his life may ultimately come from those he trusts the most.
In the Land of Women 2007,  PG-13)
In the Land of Women
This movie was really good! Meg Ryan as always portraying the classical movie actress with her laid back yet emotional taste she always brings to films. The plot goes like this: His world in complete disorder after his break-up with a famous actress, Carter, a young TV writer, goes to suburban Detroit to care for his sickly Grandmother and heal his broken heart. Along the way he forms a special bond with the family that lives across from his Grandma, and changes the live of each woman. In the course of this, as is required in every film and thus the world, he changes his own life as well.
Run Fatboy Run 2007,  PG-13)
Run Fatboy Run
Wow this movie rocks and its really Funny with a tremendous message!!! U.K.-born Dennis Doyle is in love with Elizabeth Odell, both get intimate, and when Elizabeth gets pregnant, plan to get married. On the day of the marriage, Dennis gets cold feet at the 11th hour and flees. Five years later, Dennis regrets this decision and attempts to re-enter Elizabeth and his son's lives encouraged by his friends, Gordon, and Ghoshadi Das, a Londoner originally from India. He decides to impress her by participating in a marathon-run in London. Before he could even act further, he finds out that Elizabeth has an American boyfriend, Whit, who proposes to her - and she accepts. Watch what impact this has on a visibly overweight Dennis' decision to continue to participate in the marathon-run.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments