Best Movies

1. fb2238333
  2. Joel

Page Views
Comments
  fb2238333's Rating My Rating
The Ring 2002,  PG-13)
The Ring
Still my favorite scary movie of all time. Terror that stays with you long after you've seen the film. Hans Zimmer's score is incredible. Took what Ringu had and fully fleshed it out, while still maintaining the intensely terrifying image of the antagonist.
Galaxy Quest 1999,  PG)
Galaxy Quest
Beats out Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for best Sci-Fi Comedy ever made.
Dumb and Dumber 1994,  PG-13)
Dumb and Dumber
Legendary
Spirited Away 2001,  PG)
My Neighbor Totoro 1988,  G)
My Neighbor Totoro
I want a friggin' cat bus, man. Also, Totoro looks like Snorlax's goofy cousin. Or vice-versa.
Ponyo 2009,  G)
Ponyo
Ponyo will charm your face off. My favorite Miyazaki movie and one of the most loveable movies of all-time, animated or otherwise. Joe Hisaishi's beautiful score plays a big part, and should've received AT LEAST a nomination for best musical score. The English dub was done impressively well considering Disney hired in-house, using the younger siblings of the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus for the two lead roles. Liam Neeson is awesome as usual, Tina Fey and Matt Damon give solid performances as well, but as a viewer you don't focus on the voice actors at all, you're simply drawn into the story - a sign of both good film-making and a transparent dub. If you're a fan of animated films, Pixar, etc., then this is a must-see.
Man on Wire 2008,  PG-13)
The Devil and Daniel Johnston 2006,  PG-13)
Psycho 1960,  R)
Psycho
Of the best movies of all time, horror or otherwise. Htichcock created something so innovative that it changed the way people watched movies (no one was allowed in after the first 10 minutes). He even started rumors about who was playing Mrs. Bates to cover what most consider cinema's ultimate plot twist. Bernard Herrman's all-string score is superb and sets the tone perfectly. You couldn't have asked for a better script from Joseph Stefano, who had the daunting task of adapting Robert Bloch's novel, but worked closely with Hitchcock to get an idea of the direction he was going to take. I can't say enough good things about it, honestly.

ARBOGAST!
Zodiac 2007,  R)
Zodiac
One of the best mystery-crime thrillers ever made. And for the most part, it all really happened.
Hot Fuzz 2007,  R)
Hot Fuzz
I have freakin' man crushes on these guys, I swear. I hope they make 100 more movies.
Shaun of the Dead 2004,  R)
Shaun of the Dead
The best apocalyptic romantic comedy ever made.
Citizen Kane 1941,  PG)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 1971,  G)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cherished by children and acid-tripping adults alike.
The Sixth Sense 1999,  PG-13)
The Sixth Sense
Oh, M. Night. You had to start your main-stream writing/directing career with this gem. Then, movie by movie, your pretentious screenplays got worse and worse, and your plot twists dumber and dumber. Honestly, considering his tailspin into near-irrelevance over the last 10 years or so, this movie is a miracle. Along with 'The Orphanage' as one of the only two 'feel-good' horror movies I have ever seen. Damn good.
The Wizard of Oz 1939,  PG)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments