Comments
  hipsterfilmreviews's Rating My Rating
An American Crime 2007,  R)
An American Crime
Warning:
Violence
Child abuse
Sexual abuse

That was as boring as that could possibly have been.
This Boy's Life 1993,  R)
This Boy's Life
Warning:
Physical and Psychological Child Abuse
Rape
Sexual Violence
Domestic Violence
Misogyny and sexist attitudes
No Child Of Mine 2011,  Unrated)
Sybil 1976,  Unrated)
Sybil
Warning:
Child torture
Sexual abuse

The acting isn't good enough to make you forget that it's acting, but it will definitely hold your attention, if just by virtue of the strangeness of the performance. Worth having watched, not worth recommending.
Also, Hattie Dorset reminds me too much of my own mother.
Sybil 2007,  Unrated)
Sybil
Warning:
Misogyny
Ableism
Ableist slurs
Victim blaming
Sex negative
Discussion of child sexual abuse, child abuse, neglect, rape.
Heteronormativity
The Tree of Life 2011,  PG-13)
The Tree of Life
Warning:
Domestic abuse
Domestic violence
Misogyny
Victim blaming

No real plot, just a portrait of a family. Probably the best film I've ever seen.

You really understand the beauty of water in light in a way no director has ever portrayed. You understand lines. You understand that plants are mass textures and use them accordingly. You understand that everything is beautiful, that the things that life is filled with are all from the fantastic. You understand that the soundtrack to human emotion, galaxies, tides, birth, death, amazement and destruction is Brahms.

"Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things."

"The world lives by trickery. If you want to succeed you can't be too good."

I really like Brad Pit's character. Even when he's not hurting someone, he has the perspective of an abuser. Hyper realistic. Well designed. The interrelations between the other characters reflect on his being an abuser, even before it starts. Like how he touches their bodies as if they belong to him, and how he refers to himself in third person.
Trust 2010,  R)
Trust
Warning:
Paedophilia
Psychological abuse
Predatory behaviour, grooming (Trigger warning!)
Rape
Rape culture
Rape apologism "It's not rape if it's not violent".
Victim blaming
Internalized rape apologism
Suicide

Wow I'm going to throw up.

I can't believe this is David Schwimmer. It's good.
Mystic River 2003,  R)
Mystic River
Warning:
Kidnapping
Child sexual abuse
Ableism ("he's a good kid, he talks to his deaf/mute brother even though he doesn't have to") SUCH CHARITY O LA LA.
Violent homicide
Corpse
Extreme violence
Blood
Firearms, Knifings

Highly overrated, not recommended.
Children of God: Lost and Found 2007,  Unrated)
Children of God: Lost and Found
Warning:
Child sexual abuse
Child abuse

Not a very good doc, because it didn't really have access to the information it was trying to cover, but some interesting footage of victim cognitive coping strategies, justification, explanation, etc.
Capturing the Friedmans 2002,  R)
Capturing the Friedmans
Warning:
(topics, not shown)
Pedophilia
Rape
Child sexual abuse
Incest

Yah well, I like documentaries, and this was interesting. Intriguing psychological dynamic in the victim-molester relationship. Contains a huge amount of home video footage concurrent with the investigation, trial and aftermath; very revealing and exposed.
Natural Born Killers 1994,  R)
Mooz-lum 2010,  PG-13)
Mooz-lum
Warning:
Binarism
Transphobia
Racism
Privilege denial
Cultural genocide Islamophobia
Child abuse
Violence against religious minorities
White Saviour bullshit.
In the Name of the Family 2010,  Unrated)
In the Name of the Family
Warning:
Child abuse/Sexual abuse.
Slut shaming.
Misogyny.
Violence against women.
Honour killing.
Domestic abuse.
Cultural intolerance.
Women approving of misogyny and honour killing, & internalizing misogyny.
Cultural reinforcement of misogyny by shaming men (by calling them women-like btw; more misogyny) who don't (implying that they "can't") dominate women.

I don't understand why people's reaction to a girl being murdered, is to defend islam. It's not about Islam. Let's start a dialog about the culturally embedded misogyny. All the reasons given for abusing those girls were "because they were being sluts or whores". The issue at hand is the violent oppression of women. And people are saying things like "ugh, now Islam is going to get a bad name again." Are you fucking kidding me? If it's a cultural problem, AND IT IS, declaring Islam not misogynistic doesn't make YOU not misogynistic. Being Muslim doesn't make you stop being part of that culture.

Here, I'll give you a comparative example.
"Blue people are violent."
Blue square person stands up "And they're making us squares look bad."

They're just making their allegiance to whichever group allows them not to take any responsibility for their beliefs. And changing the subject. And derailing the dialog to make accusations of Islamphobia.
Boy A 2007,  R)
Boy A
Warning:
Bullying
Suicide
Rape
Incest
Ableist slurs
Ableism
Child killing
The Education of Little Tree 1997,  PG)
The Education of Little Tree
Warning:
Racism, +institutionalized
Fat negative
Residential school
Child abuse

Little Tree goes to live with his grandparents in the mountains, where they give him clearer perspectives on the world he's growing up into. A story about love and family.
Chernobyl Heart 2003,  Unrated)
Chernobyl Heart
Stream here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ujAG_Ofj4M

Warning:
Cancer
Extreme birth defects
Dehumanization of disabled people (both being documented, and actively, by this documentary)
Ableism
Medical procedure

WTF is this shit.
Host - "This child is so deformed thats I'm not sure that being alive is the best thing for her."
And then self-righteously explains how someone needs to come around and kiss these children [for a documentary] and that she'll do the job if no one else will. /resilient.
What a fucking bitch. Shit.

The interviews are informative about the effects of the radiation. Fantastically lot of footage. Kind of amateur/blocky/non-dynamic arrangement of ideas. God make that host stfu. I don't care about your fucking opinions.
Sleepers 1996,  R)
Sleepers
Warning:
Rape
Child Sexual Abuse
Child Abuse
Palindromes 2004,  Unrated)
Palindromes
Warning:
Body Shaming
Fat Shaming
Victim Blaming
Domestic Violence
Adult/Minor Sexual Relationships
Coerced Abortion
Graphic Description of Fetus Mutilation
Child Sexual Abuse
Sexual Abuse of Runaways
Sex Negative
Rape Culture
8MM 1999,  R)
8MM
Warning:
Child Abuse
Sexual Abuse
Kidnapping
Snuff
Murder
Paradise Lost - The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills 1996,  Unrated)
Paradise Lost - The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
Warning:
Corpses
Homicide
Amputation/Mutilation
Child abuse
Institutionalized bullying
Institutionalized abuse of social minority
Scapegoating of religious minority (even though their "religious affiliation" is facetious
Ableism
Threats of extreme violence, stalking, torture, rape.
Rape culture (attitudes, norms, practices, which normalize, excuse, tolerate, or condone rape)

God. Poor Damien. Poor Jessie.
Why does Jason seem like he's only "Whoopsie, what a to-do. Drat I'm in jail." He's not wounded by this attack. He doesn't see it as an attack. He sees it as an innocent misunderstanding.

I'll want to use this as a data point later so I'm recording it here. Jessie Misskelly has an IQ of 76.

"Case File Number 93-05-0666"
I'm rolling my eyes at you. Your ridiculous bias actually preceded your opening a casefile. I couldn't write this stuff.

The interviews of the children (who mustent be photographed) claiming to have overheard confessions to unknown people at unknown times sounds like The Crucible.

Ironic moment when prosecuter says of the defendants in referene to satanism "Look at history. Look at hundereds of years of religious history. There have been hundreds of people killed in the name religion. It is a motivating force. It gives people who want to do evil, who want to commit murders, a reason to do what they're doing." ..says a Christian community whose urge to ostracise becomes murderous. And you're scapegoating the children. I get that they need to lash out, so they blame the members of the community that they're the most okay with blaming. Which, really, we're just looking at a community given opportunity to hate lawlessly. Also "hundreds of people killed" wut.
Paradise Lost 2 - Revelations 1999,  Unrated)
Paradise Lost 2 - Revelations
Warning:
Child abuse
Torture

Mark Byers is pretty much acting out my warning list. This is less about the defendants and more about how Mark Byers is easy to dislike.
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory 2011,  Unrated)
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Warning
Homicide
Child abuse
Corpses
Torture
Mysterious Skin 2004,  NC-17)
Mysterious Skin
Trigger warning:
Violent Rape
Child Sexual Abuse
The Last Minute 2002,  R)
The Last Minute
Warning:
Drug Use/Abuse
Child Abuse
BDSM
Firearms
Water 2005,  PG-13)
Water
Warning:
Misogyny
Rape
Child sexual abuse
Rape culture (attitudes, norms, practices, which normalize, excuse, tolerate, or condone rape)
We Need to Talk About Kevin 2012,  R)
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Warning: Depression Child abuse (Neglect) Child abuse (Agression, Violence) Ableist slurs Fat shaming Blood Nice guy symdrome Homicide Here's what I see that a lot of reviewers seem to be ignoring. A mother has a son. She suffers severe postpartum depression, which goes untreated, and her husband is oblivious to her delicing health or her failure to recognize and respond to her baby's needs, resulting in both neglect from being unintuitive, and also deliberate neglect arising from frustration. The child, which is not an innanimate object, doesn't care if the reasons for the abuse are hostile or incidental. The organism only detects its needs not being met, and reponds defensively. The mother responds to this defensiveness as a personal attack, with anger. The child's perception of the abuse checks off the [Hostile] box. The child responds to the mother as an enemy. So we have two people who hate each other. And it seems like a even two-sided fight. Until you remember that one of these people is the parent, and another one is the child. And the parent started it. Depression is not a excuse for abuse, it is only a contributing factor. And then she tries to reintroduce herself once he's an adult. Like everythings normal and fine. And then she's going to view it as herself "making an effort" and him shutting her out being the reason for the state of the relationship. The she plays the victim. A victim of the hate of the child she victimized. >_> What I see in other reviews: -people say how kevin is terrible to that poor mother. -even the movie description says " she contends for 15 years with the increasing malevolence of her first-born." Yah, he fucking hates you. ..And yah, he's probably emotionally disturbed now. However, YOU did that to him. This movie is about child abuse. Not parent-abuse, which isn't a fucking thing, because the power disparity in the parent-child relationship is not in favour of the child. Other reviewers watch this and label Kevin a sociopath. That's just stupid. He's not just killing small animals and hurting people because it makes him feel powerful. He's doing it deliberately to upset his mother. And he didn't kill small animals as a child, he did it when he was 17. Sociopathy is apparent in childhood. In Kevin's childhood we see a distressed alienated child who isn't being treated affectionately by his mother; rather, we see her angry that her neglected child isn't delivering to her the affection that a non-abused child might express to a non-abusive parent. Suppose everything had happened the same up until the point where he starts lashing out violently. When it isn't as easy to dismiss Kevin as completely disturbed and to blame him for the state of the relationship. He just *happens* to hate this one person who also abused him and no one else, but it's due to his pre-existing mental illness that prevents him from having emotions. OR. OR. Is he responding in a ratinoal way to being attacked by the person entrusted to care for him - who failed their responsibility. No one wants to talk about what makes a person like that. They just want to dismiss him as a [ableist slur]. Suppose we ended the story when he was only 10. Then what do you see. They call his behaviour irrationally hateful. I see an infant baby crying and its mother not meeting its needs. READ A TEXTBOOK- thats a perfect setup for insecure attachment. The story goes on. Kevin reaches early childhood, displaying insecure attachment. Mother fails to receive the affection from her child that she feels she deserves not as a reward for caring for said child (since she didn't) but because society said that this is the way children act toward a parent. She thinks that children are love machines and love anyone near them. She doesn't understand that a child's affection arises from a child feeling safe and secure around those adults. If a mother is just an adult who fails to take care of you, and sometimes ignores you out of frustration or mental illness, then a mother is someone who has indicated that your distress is not their job to resolve. Him not loving her is preceded by her indicating that she doesn't love him. Of fucking course he hates her.
Nobody Knows (Dare mo shiranai) 2004,  PG-13)
Bastard out of Carolina 1996,  R)
Bastard out of Carolina
Warning:
Misogyny
Racist slurs
Child grooming
Child abuse
Child sexual abuse
Sexual assault
Domestic abuse / abusive relationships / aggression / violence
Male privilege
Victim blaming followed by internalized victim blaming
Depression
Blood
Rape

The closing monologue was stupid.
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 1986,  NC-17)
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Warning:
Sexualized violence against women
Blood
Misogyny
Child abuse
Sexual abuse of children
Slut shaming
Violence against sex workers
Sexual harassment
Gender roles
Groping
Incest (non-consentual/rape, in both childhood and adulthood)
Rape
Graphic violence

I kind of want to see this? I have this problem where I won't watch films that I know are going to be graphically violent. BUT all the best films, including a lot of my favorite films, are ones that contain exactly the kind of violence I will avoid a film over, had I known.

[UPDATE]
This is just matter-of-fact gratuitious violence. It's not a slasher, and it's not trying to get the strongest reaction from the audience. It's just telling a horrible true story, with very little redeeming qualities that would warrant sitting through something so aversive.

DISLIKE, and also for separate reasons, NOT RECOMMENDED
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire 2008,  R)
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Warning:
Fat shaming
Rape
Incest
Rape culture
Child abuse
Domestic violence
Victim blaming
Slut shaming
Misogyny
Sexual harassment