close [×]

Dear Flixster Community,

After seven fabulous years with you all, we are sorry to let you know that we're going to be retiring the Flixster Community site on September 30, 2014. Please note that you can still access your ratings, reviews, and quizzes on Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes using your same login. We have had so much fun building this community with you.

Thanks for all the memories,
Flixster

250 films any movie-lover should watch at least once!

1. rojastortu
  2. Luis Diego

This is a list I've made myself of the 250 films I consider any movie-lover should watch at least once! It goes from 1902 to 2007! NOT NECESSARILY THE BEST MOVIES, but those MUST-SEE!!

Page Views
Comments
  rojastortu's Rating My Rating
Le Voyage dans la lune (A Trip to the Moon) 1999,  Unrated)
The Great Train Robbery 1903,  Unrated)
Fantômas - À l'ombre de la guillotine 1913,  PG)
Cabiria 1914,  Unrated)
The Birth of a Nation 2005,  Unrated)
Intolerance 1916,  PG)
Broken Blossoms 1919,  Unrated)
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari. (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari) 1920,  Unrated)
The Golem (Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam) 1920,  Unrated)
The Kid 1921,  Unrated)
Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) 1922,  Unrated)
Safety Last! 1923,  Unrated)
Safety Last!
Amazing silent film! Hilarious from beginning to the end! I think those were awesome special effects to the date! Very original and satisfying, a movie to watch more than once!
Der Letzte Mann (The Last Laugh) 1925,  PG)
Greed 1924,  Unrated)
Sherlock Jr. 1924,  Unrated)
Sherlock Jr.
Sherlock Jr. is THE MAN!!! Could it be the beginning of action movies?? Buster Keaton is a genius!! One of the most entertaining films ever! And without any sound! Amazing! There's some scenes that will leave you open-mouthed and questioning "how they did that??" One ot the greatest American silent films ever, and one of the funniest!!
Battleship Potemkin 1925,  Unrated)
Battleship Potemkin
The birth of editing as we know it to date! A movie where the hero is the "people", the battleship is more like a collective soul of the mob. It has one of the greatest scenes on cinema, the stairs of Odessa, breathtaking and depressing to watch. Brilliant film!
Die Nibelungen: Siegfried (Siegfried's Death) 1924,  Unrated)
Faust 1926,  Unrated)
Metropolis 1927,  PG-13)
Metropolis
Science fiction's most influential picture, who inspired hundreds of movies even at our time, Metropolis is just GREAT!
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 1927,  Unrated)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
It has some of the saddest scenes I have ever seen, and with not even a word! Then it turns to be the happiest movie ever, then it turns to be terriblly depressing, then pure joy... Could this be the first emotional rollercoaster even on cinema?
Visually stunning, with amazing music, and great performances. This is one of the best silent films I have ever seen. You should watch it at least once!
The General 1927,  Unrated)
The General
Esencial Buster Keaton
The Crowd 1928,  Unrated)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc) 1928,  Unrated)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc)
A rare gem in classic cinema, The Passion of Joan of Arc dared to use all the magic of the movies to tell a story in a way it developed with a few scenes and characters, although its complexity. Maria Falconetti did one of the greatest performances ever, I even thought I was watching the real Joan of Arc. She felt sad, not only seemed sad, but FELT like she was the one to be tortured. She showed fear, confusion, and a hundred more emotions with no words or sound. Also, to be shot a first frame (only head) throughout 80% of the movie isn't easy, but she did her best and succeded. The story may be a little boring sometimes, but a great achievement in every aspect.
Chelovek s kino-apparatom (Man with a Movie Camera) 1929,  Unrated)
Chelovek s kino-apparatom (Man with a Movie Camera)
An exploration of the documentary genre, one of the most interesting films, portraits the common lives of Russian residents; with powerful, creative and original style of film-making.
Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) 1929,  Unrated)
L' Âge d'Or (Age of Gold) (The Golden Age) 1979,  Unrated)
L' Âge d'Or (Age of Gold) (The Golden Age)
Despite mocking on Cristianity (most notorious on the very final scene), this is one of the most bizarre films I have ever seen. Surrealism at its best. With some sexual content, and making parody of the high-classes, this movie was one of the most scandalous movies of the time, being banned for more than 40 years! A must see.
Der Blaue Engel (The Blue Angel) 1930,  Unrated)
M 1931,  Unrated)
M
Great film about an assassin and his hunting! Suspenseful and with an amazing performance by Peter Lorre. Fritz Lang does it again!
City Lights 1931,  G)
City Lights
How could anyone NOT be in love with City Lights? A masterpiece, best of Chaplin! Who needs dialogue to prove real love? Who needs to see to fall in love? City Lights is everything anyone always wanted a romantic movie to have. Just perfect! And of course, my favorite ending of all time!

Directing: 5
Acting: 5
Story: 5
Originality: 5
Visual elements: 5
Impact: 4.5
Enjoyment: 6!
Music: 5
Frankenstein 1931,  Unrated)
Freaks 1932,  Unrated)
Scarface 1932,  PG)
The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse 1933,  Unrated)
Duck Soup 1933,  Unrated)
Duck Soup
Absolutely amazing and one of the funniest movies EVER made! Every character was hilarious, the situations seem a little off context but that makes them funny. With political issues and parody of society itself, this makes the finest movie of 1933 and one of the greatest in the 30's!
King Kong 1933,  Unrated)
King Kong
What can I say? One of the most original classics of the 30's, the idea still remains fresh to date (example, the 2005 version directed by Peter Jackson). Although the effects seem very poor in comparison to recent ones, the movie is well action-packed and keeps you attached to your seat. I only had a problem with two things... I think the performances were terrible, and the script could've been better. But it still has a memorable quote: "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast." A great effort and a huge achievement in cinema.

PS: I still feel sorry for poor Kong :-(...
It Happened One Night 1934,  Unrated)
It Happened One Night
One of my favorite love stories! Simple but charming, not cheesy AT ALL, with great story and character development that keeps you entertained throughout the whole movie. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert at their finest make this even better. Frank Capra does an amazing job in directing. My favorite scene is the one they're trying to hitchhike, brilliant and one of the funniest scenes out there! A must see for everyone! (I like to think this is one of the first chick-flicks, and inspired many of those).
Les Misérables 1934,  Unrated)
The Bride of Frankenstein 1935,  Unrated)
The Bride of Frankenstein
Impressive horror movie! Stunning/creepy cinematography, great character development, scary directing, smashing performances by Boris Karloff and Elsa Lanchester. This is what a classic really is! Great special effects considering the time. And the ending is what makes this from a good movie to a great movie!! I bet you didn't see what is going to happen at the end!
It reminded me to E.T., to religion and the whole "accept people for who they are" stuff. This is a movie to last forever in history.

Originality: 4.5
Visual elements(effects): 4.5
Impact: 5
Enjoyment: 4.5
Music: 4.5
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town 1936,  Unrated)
Dodsworth 1936,  Unrated)
Modern Times 1936,  G)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937,  G)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Re-watched it this night, after more than 10 years since the last time I saw it when I was a kid... And I must say this is one of the most magical movies I have ever seen. Almost every scene has become a classic and a signature everyone would recognize. This movie is so special (main reason: first feature animated film ever made) - made more than 70 years ago and still alive in everyone's minds.
The Awful Truth 1937,  Unrated)
La Grande illusion (Grand Illusion) 2012,  Unrated)
Olympia 1. Teil - Fest der Völker (Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations) 1938,  Unrated)
Olympia 1. Teil - Fest der Völker (Olympia Part One: Festival of the Nations)
The most wonderful documentary ever made... You take the first 20 minutes, and are just magical. Leni Riefenstahl used so many new techniques that seem as "normal stuff" nowadays. She kept aside the olympic activities and focused on giving it a new life as one of the most fascinating works of art. The shadows, textures, movements, camera frames, everything seems so professional and masterfully made. Some of the scenes are sublime, specially the beginning when the statues wake up into moving athletes and the ending scene of the marathon, in which you could almost feel the competitors' fatigue. Wonderful piece of art everyone should watch at least one!
Bringing Up Baby 1938,  Unrated)
Aleksandr Nevskiy (Alexander Nevsky) 1938,  Unrated)
Jezebel 1938,  Unrated)
Jezebel
Bette Davis is amazing playing this spoiled woman that doesn't take a "no" for an answer. A drama of monumental proportions that brings to the table many political and social issues of that era.
Gone With the Wind 1939,  G)
Gone With the Wind
The perfect story about love, war, bravery, and above all a woman "spirited away" to save her legacy. A brilliant movie in every aspect, a must se for everyone.
The Wizard of Oz 1939,  PG)
The Wizard of Oz
The perfect story about childhood innocence and the magic of dreams...
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 1939,  Unrated)
Ninotchka 1939,  R)
The Rules of the Game 1950,  Unrated)
The Grapes of Wrath 1940,  Unrated)
Rebecca 1940,  Unrated)
Fantasia 1940,  G)
The Philadelphia Story 1940,  Unrated)
The Maltese Falcon 1941,  PG)
Citizen Kane 1941,  PG)
Casablanca 1943,  PG)
Casablanca
Greatest Hollywood production EVER. Timeless, more than 60 years later and it's still freash to watch. Ahead of its time. Every genre posible addressed perfectly by the cast and director. The movie with most memorable quotes ever, transformed a whole culture! Humphrey Bogart practically made smoking and boozing in films to be "cool". A classic, most important movie ever, there's not enough space to finish talking about Casablanca. A must have in every film collection.
Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942,  G)
Maria Candelaria (Xochimilco) 1944,  Unrated)
Maria Candelaria (Xochimilco)
Is it just a representation or a more critical approach to ultra-conservative extremely-religious "Machismo" societies in Latin America during the last century?
A beautiful and depressing story about a woman tortured because of her mother's past.
Double Indemnity 1944,  Unrated)
Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise) 1945,  PG)
It's a Wonderful Life 1946,  PG)
It's a Wonderful Life
Wow!! The most heart-warming movie I had ever seen, and probably for my whole life... A real masterpiece about friendship and helping others. It's nearly a metaphor: we need more people like George Bailey and less like Mr. Potter. A real classic film from the US, ahead of its time, it has pop culture written all over it, so many scenes and actions present in today's TV and movies, and our lives. I just loved this movie, I had never felt so good inside and happy after watching a movie, it's just special. James Stewart is awesome. It blew me away, of how much soul this movie has. One of my favorite movies!
Notorious 1946,  Unrated)
Ivan Groznyy (Ivan the Terrible, Part One) 1944,  Unrated)
Gentleman's Agreement 1947,  PG)
We the Poor (Nosotros, los pobres) 1948,  Unrated)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1948,  Unrated)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
A moral journey in what greed and insecurity creates in the minds of people, driving them crazy. Describes what is like when you can't trust anybody. Good entertainment, with great performances and a not very expected ending. A good classic staring legend Humphrey Bogart. A good movie to watch any time!

Directing: 4.5
Originality: 5
Visual elements: 4.5
Impact: 4.5
Enjoyment: 4.5
Music: 4
Ladri di Biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (Bicycle Thieves) 1949,  Unrated)
Ladri di Biciclette (The Bicycle Thief) (Bicycle Thieves)
I don't really know how I waited that long until finally watching this movie. This got to be one of the most perfect, beautiful, depressing, and important movies I've seen in a long time. The very first part was so joyous I couldn't help but smiling every minute of it, even when I already knew what was about to happen. Then the movie began to depict a battle of classes and a post-war Rome full of unemployed and hopeless people. And the ending, perfectly merges
The Third Man 1949,  Unrated)
Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned) 1952,  Unrated)
Los Olvidados (The Young and the Damned)
Fucking masterpiece.
Sunset Boulevard 1950,  Unrated)
Rashômon (Rashomon) (In the Woods) 1951,  Unrated)
Orphée (Orpheus) 1950,  Unrated)
All About Eve 1950,  PG)
All About Eve
Bette Davis shines by herself in this movie, it is a great entertainment to watch her perform!
A Streetcar Named Desire 1951,  PG)
Umberto D. 1952,  Unrated)
Umberto D.
Beautiful and depressing.
Singin' in the Rain 1952,  G)
Singin' in the Rain
The perfect musical! "Singin' in the rain" tune still lives in our minds, a very happy and warming movie that portraits transition between mute cinema to audio.
Ikiru (Doomed) (Living) (To Live) 1956,  PG)
Ugetsu monogatari 1954,  Unrated)
The Wild One 1954,  Unrated)
Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai) 1954,  Unrated)
Seven Samurai (Shichinin no Samurai)
WOW! THE real Japanese epic! More than perfect, this film is one of the most beautiful, best told, most moving and effective film EVER. Not only by its amazing cinematography, but its colorful characters, they're actually alive! A battle movie that doesn't need graphic violence to be great! There's no words to describe its perfection, Akira Kurosawa is a genius.

Oops!

Oops

Our site ran into some problems while handling your request. We've logged it, and we'll check it out soon. Click here to the previous page to try again, or you can also contact us about the problem. Thanks.

uuid:none

Troubleshooting

Support Forums

Ask questions and share answers on the Flixster Help Discussion Forum

Contact Us

Still can't find an answer? Contact us.
  • Server: web41.flixster.com ()
  • JSP: /movie-list/250-films-any-movielover-should-watch-at-least-once
  • release: glo20140915
  • flixster-git-desc: COMMRELEASE.2014-09-15.13-02-02 cf2ab27