[Style > Pre-CGI Rubber Creature Costume/Animatronics]

1. hipsterfilmreviews
  2. Octavian

Rubber monster suits, mostly. A lot of ape costumes. Very midcentury :P
The land before computer graphics.
At some point I may have to split up costumes and animatronics into separate lists.

Page Views
Comments
  hipsterfilmreviews's Rating My Rating
Legend 1986,  PG)
Planet of the Apes 1968,  G)
Planet of the Apes
lol @ charlton heston, just yelling all the time.

ps. last i checked, humans were apes, so being required to swear before a court that they are not is just daft.

Great costuming, TERRIBLE acting. This is one of those movies that just terrible, but it's classic so you'll see it, and still enjoy it a lot despite all it's flaws. Idk what they spent their budget on instead of hiring competent actors, because it was obviously filmed in Hollywood, not in some crazy remove desert. I want to punch Linda Harrison; These people aren't acting, they're pretending to act.

Tim Burton's version is almost an exact copy of this version, and smooths out a lot of the problems it has, and actually brings up the slavery issue more. So I advise heading in that direction.
Quest for Fire 1982,  R)
Quest for Fire
Warning:
Cannibalism, hostages.

Adept use of non-verbal communication. Communication is clear, despite total absence of dialog. 2 hours extended version of the ape part of 2001 A Space Odyssey. EXCEPT BETTER COSTUMING.
At the Earth's Core 1976,  PG)
At the Earth's Core
Misogyny, women as rightful spoils.

Journey To The Center Of The Earth retold featuring giant prehistoric rubber monsters. It's pretty bad.
Unknown Island 1948,  Unrated)
Tremors 1990,  R)
Tremors 2: Aftershocks 1995,  PG-13)
Tremors 3 - Back to Perfection 2001,  PG)
Tremors 4 - The Legend Begins 2004,  PG-13)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 1977,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
I dunno guys. The plot is really basic, acting is mostly terrible (except R2). I can't even make excuses like "Oh, I'm not taking into consideration when the movie was made". I love old movies, and I love sci-fi. What I don't love is tired plots, flat acting, one dimensional characters, and OH GOD terrible lighting. I've seen and read this exact plot hundred of times in things that were produced prior to Star Wars. The fanfare annoys me. The only parts that this film didn't steal from someplace else are weak.
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 1983,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 1980,  PG)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
XD

SO much better than the first one. Better set (filled in), better acting, better script (wild lack of corny dialog ..which was a huge problem in IV), better plot (depth and development and less cliche and obvious), better cinematography (omg lighting variation and shadows).
Evil Dead 2013,  R)
Mothra 1961,  Unrated)
Troll 1985,  PG-13)
Land of the Lost 2009,  PG-13)
Land of the Lost
Warning:
Misogyny
Sexual harassment
Racism (they seriously lose points every time they do this. they keep saying emphatically racist and sexist things to be ironically funny. it's not funny. stop.)

Okay you're going to have to suspend your disbelief. Point: Everyone judges based on appearances wrongly, and discovers that they were wrong.

But wait. Then the monkey was speaking Arabic???
Gamera 2: Assault of the Legion (Gamera 2: Region shurai) 1996,  Unrated)
Daikaijū Gamera (The Giant Monster Gamera) 1965,  Unrated)
The Land That Time Forgot 2009,  Unrated)
The Land That Time Forgot 1975,  PG)
The Land That Time Forgot
Approximately the worst thing that's ever happened.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments