1. alice5mith
  2. Alice

Movies made in 2009 which I think are worth to be seen or I got to see due to various circumstances.

Please notice that only those I've already seen are ordered. Those that I liked are, naturally, at the beginning of the list, and those I think are a waste of time are at the end. Between those two categories, are listed the movies I haven't seen yet, in no particular order.

Page Views
Comments
  alice5mith's Rating My Rating
Jeon Woochi : The Taoist Wizard 2009,  Unrated)
Sherlock Holmes 2009,  PG-13)
Sherlock Holmes
Not bad, not bad at all.

Nothing that we didn't know, actually, but everything seems to have been put in the right place.
The non-classical approach of the characters reminded me of ' The Sherlock Holmes's Private Life', especially since brother Mycroft is mentioned and a romantic interest is implied, but the new one is faster, and this looks good on Sherlock, even if it's not so much of a British feature.
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus 2009,  PG-13)
Fantastic Mr. Fox 2009,  PG)
Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) 2009,  R)
Politist, adj. (Police, Adjective) 2009,  Unrated)
Pink Panther 2 2009,  PG)
Pink Panther 2
The film is delightfully funny and subtle. Clouseau is a cartoon in a real world, his thinking is pure intuition and refuses to be hindered by the walls of any prejudices, just as his body seems to be not affected by any of the shocks to which it is subjected. If Clouseau would even be aware how odd he looks sometimes, I imagine him saying, with Bugs's words: 'I'm not upside down, doc. You are!'. But he isn't.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 2009,  PG)
Ne Te Retourne Pas (Don't Look Back) 2009,  Unrated)
Antichrist 2009,  Unrated)
Coco Before Chanel 2009,  PG-13)
Astro Boy (AstroBoy) 2009,  PG)
Astro Boy (AstroBoy)
The first superhero that I like (and the only one). Perhaps because he's miniature or perhaps because he is good at math. I cannot say for sure.
District 9 2009,  R)
Creation 2009,  PG-13)
Nowhere Boy 2010,  R)
Coraline 2009,  PG)
Coraline
It was good... really good. From a visual point of view. But I expected more from the music, still.
Dorian Gray 2009,  R)
Dorian Gray
No "spectacular acting" involved here, but maybe that's how it was supposed to be. After all, this is Dorian ... immutable as his portrait should have been.

However, as far as I'm concerned, the sight of old London worth watching it even for itself.
The White Ribbon (Das weisse Band) 2009,  R)
Fish Tank 2009,  Unrated)
Tetro 2009,  R)
Nine 2009,  PG-13)
X-Men Origins - Wolverine 2009,  PG-13)
Mr. Nobody 2013,  R)
Orphan 2009,  R)
Orphan
A thriller that reveals complex psychological issues. I cannot see what is Horror in this film, but it is a good film with excellent performances (especially from the youngs).
Of course, there are some question marks, like why does Esther keep that Bible (I doubt she is religious).
The Fourth Kind 2009,  PG-13)
Everybody's Fine 2009,  PG-13)
Everybody's Fine
Excellent performance from Robert de Niro in a film that will stir emotions in all of us, more or less, because I assume that everyone had to deal, one way or another, with the everyday lie that everything is fine.
An Education 2009,  PG-13)
The Princess and the Frog 2009,  G)
The Princess and the Frog
Will be enjoyed by romantic souls who dream of true love, will be equally appreciated by those who value work and pragmatism, will be loved by those who like jazz, will be welcomed by those with a sense of humor and will be watched with pleasure by any lover of classic animation.
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant 2009,  PG-13)
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
Another funny movie with vampires. At least this one is a comedy so it's a good thing that we break out in laughter every time we see a vampire.
Race to Witch Mountain 2009,  PG)
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 2009,  R)
Harry Brown 2009,  R)
Bran Nue Dae 2009,  PG-13)
Arthur and the Invisibles 2: Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard 2011,  PG)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2009,  R)
Up 2009,  PG)
Whip It 2009,  PG-13)
500 Days of Summer 2009,  PG-13)
500 Days of Summer
Entertaining and refreshing, due to subjective memory inflows.
Angels & Demons 2009,  PG-13)
Angels & Demons
Sort of a promising mystery, waltzing among monuments of Renaissance art,
which turns out to be a sinister joke. But it shouldn't surprize us, in a movie in which a professor who had studied medieval symbols his entire life doesn't understand latin.
The Trotsky 2009,  Unrated)
Inglourious Basterds 2009,  R)
Inglourious Basterds
It looks like someone has figured that we are going to watch the film and feel like we are throwing darts in the image of Hitler. But I doubt that anyone who had anything to do with real events of the time will enjoy this movie. However, the only noticeable character was col. Landa, so I do not understand why the film was titled as such.
Daybreakers 2009,  R)
Daybreakers
Another piece of Horror which I don't understand why is called so. Maybe because it's about vampires. But it is either funny, either laughable. I'd say funny and enjoyable... however, if you're not inclined to trust green eyed people, try it yourself.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest 2009,  R)
Knowing 2009,  PG-13)
Knowing
I would have enjoyed a more complicated numbers puzzle but less sf items (including the end, which I still wonder if they haven't mistaken from another movie).
The Informant! 2009,  R)
Pandorum 2009,  R)
Brooklyn's Finest 2009,  R)
All About Steve 2009,  PG-13)
All About Steve
I was curious how was Sandra going to handle such a role. She was wonderful, clattering and hopping like a cartoon.
Julie & Julia 2009,  PG-13)
Julie & Julia
Interesting, but I would have liked it to focus more on Julia's story (maybe because it was happening in Paris or maybe because of the actors in this part). Anyway, from a certain point it becomes excessively sentimental and predictable. And it is too long.
The Men Who Stare at Goats 2009,  R)
Whiteout 2009,  R)
State of Play 2009,  PG-13)
A Perfect Getaway 2009,  R)
A Perfect Getaway
Why would the murderers pretend to themselves that they did not know who the murderers were? Wasn't the filmmaker able to find a better way to fool the viewer, one the viewer not to feel fooled, perhaps? Or maybe the murderers were so imbeciles that they could not remember when to pretend and when not.

Or is this a parody and the twist is ironic, as suggested by a friend of mine? It is possible, because everything must have a purpose, so this film. But it is a bad parody, because before the twist I was bored to death but patient with the hope that the end will be better and when the twist came I realized that waiting was pointless and I should be watching a geographical documentary if I want to see beautiful landscapes, so I would be spared the dull dialog. However, I suppose it really is a parody, for everything is extremely unusual, from the characters' declared professions to the scenes of excessive tenderness (from her) or indifference (of him) and I assume I would have noticed the weirdness of the situation if I had not been so busy being bored or annoyed.
The Joneses 2010,  R)
It's Complicated 2009,  R)
It's Complicated
It starts as a casual comedy, then develops couple issues, which may be interesting or funny to a point, but towards the end it becomes annoying.
City Island 2009,  PG-13)
Watchmen 2009,  R)
Agora 2009,  R)
The Proposal 2009,  PG-13)
The Uninvited 2009,  PG-13)
The Invention of Lying 2009,  PG-13)
Defendor 2009,  R)
Defendor
Yeah, the guy is kinda funny. For the first 10 minutes, he provides some really good laughs. But then you just get used to it.
Old things (I guess it wouldn't be nice to say 'stolen ideas') dressed in 3d imagery. Nothing original or extraordinary. Anyway, it turns out to be better than I expected.
Disney's A Christmas Carol 2009,  PG)
Disney's A Christmas Carol
An agglomeration of stunning effects that builds a monument of arbitrariness.

Let's see... for a few moments, it seems that Marley is multiplying himself infinitely (some sort of Davy Jones's Locker ?!), and then Scrooge flies to the moon.

Don't get me wrong... I did enjoy all those moments... truly. But know this is all about... an exhibitionistic circus, with no interest in the inner transfiguration.
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee 2009,  R)
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
Not the kind of movie I would usually watch. Not so bad, though.
Women in Trouble 2009,  R)
The Hangover 2009,  R)
Dante's Inferno 2009,  R)
Dante's Inferno
Violent, bloody epic and sexual graphicalness.
My Sister's Keeper 2009,  PG-13)
My Sister's Keeper
I guess it was supposed to make me cry. Instead, it made me really angry.
Baby donor? Is such a thing possible? Please tell me this is just a horror movie.
Public Enemies 2009,  R)
Public Enemies
Today I'm going to watch this movie.

Or, better leave till tomorrow.
The Limits of Control 2009,  R)
Cea mai fericita fata din lume (The Happiest Girl in the World) 2009,  Unrated)
Michael Jackson's This Is It 2009,  PG)
Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans 2009,  R)
Tales from the Golden Age 2011,  Unrated)
Persécution 2009,  Unrated)
The Blind Side 2009,  PG-13)
Nefes: Vatan sagolsun 2009,  Unrated)
Claustrophobia 2009,  Unrated)
Where the Wild Things Are 2009,  PG)
The Villa Golitsyn 2009,  Unrated)
De l'autre côté du lit 2009,  Unrated)
LOL (Laughing Out Loud) 2009,  Unrated)
The Collector 2009,  R)
Carriers 2009,  PG-13)
The Stepfather 2009,  PG-13)
The Disappearance of Alice Creed 2009,  R)
Army of Crime (L'Armée du Crime) 2009,  Unrated)
Weekend cu mama (Weekend with my Mother) 2009,  Unrated)
Micmacs (Micmacs à tire-larigot) 2010,  R)
The Road 2009,  R)
Triage 2009,  R)
The Sword with No Name (Bool-kkott-cheo-reom na-bi-cheo-reom) 2009,  Unrated)
Del amor y otros demonios (Of Love and Other Demons) 2009,  Unrated)
Phobia 2 (Ha phraeng) 2009,  R)
Undertow 2009,  Unrated)
A Prophet (Un prophete) 2009,  R)
La Yuma 2009,  Unrated)
Engelen 2009,  Unrated)
The Hole 2012,  PG-13)
Peacock 2009,  PG-13)
Eyes Wide Open (Einaym Pkuhot) 2009,  Unrated)
All That I Love (Wszystko, co kocham) 2009,  Unrated)
Peepli Live 2010,  Unrated)
The Temptation of St. Tony (Püha Tõnu kiusamine) 2009,  Unrated)
9:06 2009,  Unrated)
The Blacks (Crnci) 2009,  Unrated)
Valhalla Rising 2009,  Unrated)
Youth in Revolt 2010,  R)
Youth in Revolt
I expected the thing to be funny but it wasn't, not even a bit, just kinda wierd, since it was never clear how much of the happenings were imagined by the `hero` and there were plenty of reasons for us to suspect he was imagining everything, not only his alter ego, but also his perfect girlfriend and all the rest. However this was the good part of the movie.
The bad part was that I couldn't bring myself to care about anyone or anything in this movie.
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Flickan som lekte med elden) 2009,  R)
The Box 2009,  PG-13)
Duplicity 2009,  PG-13)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon 2009,  PG-13)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
I have to admit... it is hard to choose: werewolves are portrayed as lamentable as vampires. Between her best friend and the pretty face, Bella delivers no surprise.
Adventureland 2009,  R)
Adventureland
I'm sorry but I really don't understand why this movie is a comedy. And I can't find much sense however I would take it.
They might have some fun together, but they take all their decisions arbitrarily and they have no idea where they are going.
If this is the portrait of a certain generation, then the movie succeeded to present it and it's a good movie, but I can't tell you that.
But if it isn't, the whole thing is useless.
I Love You Phillip Morris 2009,  R)
2012 2009,  PG-13)
The subject (some guys thinking they can manage the apocalypse as a war or crisis of their ... not to mention the childish image they have about the end of the world) is idiotic so it was my mistake to watch this in the first place.
But it was highly recommanded to me, as being about some prophecies, so I took the risks.
But don't expect to hear anything but anything at all about Mayan civilization nor any prophecy whatsoever in this movie.
Be prepared to watch all kinds of natural disasters (earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tzunamies, towns submerged) and to witness the most improbable things (probably phisics, geography, common sense and who knows what else were the first victims)... and some modern Noah's arcs (with animals... really nice!).
Any dramatic component is canceled by the obtuseness of the characters and the director's constant effort to surprise us with their incredible luck.
However, there are a few funny moments and you also can watch this if you like visual effects. But nothing else. As the tag line states, you were warned.
If you still plan to ignore my advice and watch this movie...

You might think the heroes survived because they are the good guys, suitable to populate the new earth.
Know that I liked more Charlie and Sasha (for being much more fun) and they died. I'm not complaining, too much of a happy end can be boring and who wants a too crowded planet anyway? I just wanted to let you know who my favorites were. I think they were quite representative for this movie: Charlie was extatic in front of the volcano that killed him (beautiful images) and Sasha... what did Sasha do? Ah, yes... he took off a huge russian plane without having any proper take off track... and that's not all: when doing this he brought down the Eiffel Tower's top (which, by the way, was God knows where, but not in Paris)
After.Life 2009,  R)
The Lovely Bones 2009,  PG-13)
The Lovely Bones
A surreal fantasy of 'the in-between' world, unfortunately pointless, unless you consider an end to hide under beautiful colours that you have no idea what you're doing.
Zombieland 2009,  R)
Chloe 2010,  R)
The Loved Ones 2012,  R)
Serious Moonlight 2009,  R)

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments