1. alice5mith
  2. Alice

Movies made in 2008 which I think are worth to be seen or I got to see due to various circumstances.

Please notice that only those I've already seen are ordered. Those that I liked are, naturally, at the beginning of the list, and those I think are a waste of time are at the end. Between those two categories, are listed the movies I haven't seen yet, in no particular order.

Page Views
Comments
  alice5mith's Rating My Rating
Gran Torino 2009,  R)
Nunta muta (Silent Wedding) 2008,  Unrated)
Nunta muta (Silent Wedding)
Stalin died on March 5. I am convinced that the filmmaker knew this very well but deliberately ignored it and has placed the events in mid-summer. I think this allows us to consider that the story isn't true and to enjoy the movie as it is: a picture of a cursed place in which people stick to their ways and traditions and try, like in the old tragedies, to fool the gods and complete their destiny.

I don't think it has much to do with communism, and it could be very well understood even by someone who has no idea about communism, and I also think it would be better for viewers not to take positions, nor for the Romanians, nor for the Russians, and also not to attach too much of the events, as they are only snapshots of an ancient and magical world thrown into a meaningless history.
Here begins the comical: in the contrast between two worlds: one very much alive and celebrating life (with all that implies it, love, circus, music, joy ...) and the other - stone-still in absurd laws, celebrating death.
The Class 2008,  PG-13)
The Dark Knight 2008,  PG-13)
The Dark Knight
I only have this question: are we supposed to like the Joker that much? Isn't he a villain or anything? He's drug-like, and not just because he's funny or has no respect for rules and things like this... there's something more about this Joker that made me like him, but I can't say what it is. Maybe that's it: the mystery around him.
Brideshead Revisited 2008,  PG-13)
Brideshead Revisited
I don't know the book and I never saw the tv series, so I can't compare, but I found this movie just perfect. It is slow, but that's one of its charms, time goes slowly over Brideshead and the people connected to it, and so few seem to change. Sebastian's wish is that time could stop and always be summer at Brideshead. Somehow, it comes true: they all look like ripen fruits waitting to be gathered.
Iron Man 2008,  PG-13)
Asterix at the Olympic Games (Asterix aux jeux olympiques) 2008,  Unrated)
21 2008,  PG-13)
They had a math genius in Vegas and that's all they could come up with? I confess myself utterly disappointed. But then again, what else could there be if you'd want to be served a slice of real life, too?
Keith 2008,  PG-13)
Keith
The bad part about this movie is that honestly I don't enjoy romantic dramas.
The good thing is that I didn't really find out that this one is a drama until the last 15 minutes. I had fun trying to figure out what Keith really wanted, I also had a lot of fun at poor Natalie's expense (oh, she was puzzled and her friends were resentful). Natalie was right about Keith... he was a good actor, I never suspected a thing and enjoyed the little funny movie.
Of course, a sensitive, delicate person will apreciate this film even more than I did. I can tell you it's way better than 'A Walk To Remember', mainly with the same issues, only this one tries to build a story, too. And succeeds.
Okuribito (Departures) 2009,  PG-13)
Okuribito (Departures)
Simple, natural, moving, without exaggerations of any kind. Universally true.
Let the Right One In 2008,  R)
Let the Right One In
Was this a vampire movie? We'll have to define the concept... and whose story was it. If this is about Oskar, the lonely kid and his love for the strange girl next door, then it isn't exactly a vampire movie. But it's a sweet young romance in a sort of spooky tense atmosphere. There is, of course, Eli's tale, the vampire plot, but I found that one quite uninteresting: there's no mystery for the viewer, she lives with blood, we know this from the beginning. Only I'm not worried for her, she's able to take care of herself, despite the fact she is only 12 years ... On the other hand, she's a nice vampires, kills just to live ... no conflict at all. Therefore, no, I don't think this was a vampire movie. More like a dream-story of a lonesome soul disturbed by his conflicts with a world he seems not to be included in... Wouldn't have been a surprise to find out in the end that Eli was only the fruit of Oskar's imagination. After all, the whole story is about Oskar.
Watch carefully how the movie opens... Oskar fighting imaginary enemies. And, of nowhere, just from his anger, takes shape a strange creature able to fulfil everything he hasn't been capable (includding the rubik cube).
Doubt 2008,  PG-13)
Doubt
I expected this to be an atmosphere movie. Mostly, it is, at least of plot. But I'm surprised that Sister Aloysius, who constantly is told us that is the most feared of beings, chooses such unexpected moments to become funny.
Don't get me wrong. I don't mind she's being funny. That's great. And surely she would have had no doubts if she was made of stone. The problem is that we are told she is frightening but it's hard to believe that people living alongside her have not seen her comic side.
Milk 2008,  R)
Milk
Truly entertaining movie. Should have become a comic saga, instead of ambitionating to become a drama.
The Oxford Murders 2010,  R)
The Spiderwick Chronicles 2008,  PG)
Paris 2008,  R)
Last Chance Harvey 2009,  PG-13)
Last Chance Harvey
Not my favorite genre but I enjoyed the performances.
Dorothy Mills (Dorothy) 2008,  R)
Vantage Point 2008,  PG-13)
Vantage Point
The fact that many situations and characters are exaggerated to Caricature made me think that this movie was a parody and enjoy it as such. Only I'm not totally sure it was meant this way.
The Reader 2008,  R)
Taken 2009,  PG-13)
Journey to the Center of the Earth 2008,  PG)
What Just Happened? 2008,  R)
Changeling 2008,  R)
Changeling
Good enough. Some aspects were a little bit overdone, but the atmosphere was enjoyable.
Deception 2008,  R)
Sunshine Cleaning 2009,  R)
Sunshine Cleaning
As always in movies which describe the life of an ordinary family, the grandfather is the most interesting and fascinating person. To my disappointment, however, the movie focuses on the most boring character.
Australia 2008,  PG-13)
Australia
I've seen this before, in 'Out of Africa', only better done, better acted and with some twists.
Most interesting about this version is the way it sees the natives: half wizards, creatures with magical misterious powers, half lacking any sense (hiding in the water tank ??)
Pineapple Express 2008,  R)
Pineapple Express
Surprinsingly enjoyable, since I usually find Seth Rogen disgusting and I change the channel the minute I clap eyes on him.
I suppose that, being this some kind of an action movie, he has less time to do his usual stuff, or it's the merit of the other guys who, without being necessarily great, manage to offer to the viewer something better.
Tropic Thunder 2008,  R)
Tropic Thunder
Very few funny scenes, mostly involving strifes between Kirk and Alpa Chino. As for the action and adventure... there isn't any.
The kid who leads the Dragons is funny, too.
Two Lovers 2008,  R)
The Wrestler 2008,  R)
Happy-Go-Lucky 2008,  R)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian 2008,  PG)
WALL-E 2008,  G)
Wanted 2008,  R)
The Duchess 2008,  PG-13)
Mamma Mia! 2008,  PG-13)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas) 2008,  PG-13)
RocknRolla 2008,  R)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona 2008,  PG-13)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 2008,  PG-13)
Chain Letter 2008,  Unrated)
Righteous Kill 2008,  R)
In Bruges 2008,  R)
Burn After Reading 2008,  R)
Kung Fu Panda 2008,  PG)
The Other Boleyn Girl 2008,  PG-13)
How to Lose Friends & Alienate People 2008,  R)
L'Heure d'été (Summer Hours) 2009,  Unrated)
Shirin 2009,  Unrated)
Jumper 2008,  PG-13)
Synecdoche, New York 2008,  R)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall 2008,  R)
Choke 2008,  R)
Get Smart 2008,  PG-13)
Valkyrie 2008,  PG-13)
Hancock 2008,  PG-13)
Eagle Eye 2008,  PG-13)
Sex and the City 2008,  R)
Sex and the City
I doubt that I would like it. Still, I could try to see it one day. Maybe I'll understand why it was such a big fuss about the TV series.
Be Kind Rewind 2008,  PG-13)
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay 2008,  R)
My Sassy Girl 2008,  PG-13)
Dark Matter 2008,  R)
Slumdog Millionaire 2008,  R)
Nobel Son 2008,  PG-13)
Les Femmes de l'Ombre (Female Agents) 2008,  Unrated)
Exchange (Schimb valutar) ,  Unrated)
An American Carol 2008,  PG-13)
Marley & Me 2008,  PG)
Mirrors 2008,  R)
Stop-Loss 2008,  R)
Miracle at St. Anna 2008,  R)
Killshot 2008,  R)
Sparks 1997,  Unrated)
Yes Man 2008,  PG-13)
The Happening 2008,  R)
Pescuit sportiv (Hooked) 2009,  Unrated)
High Life 2009,  R)
Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire 2009,  R)
La Barbe Bleue (Blue Beard) (Bluebeard) 2008,  Unrated)
The Brothers Bloom 2009,  PG-13)
Lesbian Vampire Killers 2009,  R)
The Secret of Moonacre 2008,  PG)
Uncertainty 2009,  PG)
Tropa de Elite (The Elite Squad) 2007,  R)
Gigantic 2009,  R)
Twilight 2008,  PG-13)
Twilight
I went to see this movie because I'm interested in anything regarding vampires, but I didn't expect it to be such a mess of supernatural features which had nothing to do with vampires. I understand that there's a book but I probably would not like that either.
And why didn't they get some real actors, I wonder... those people did nothing but walk around with their strange appearences and that was their idea about acting.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2008,  PG-13)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
If Fitzgerald's story is short and has a significance, the movie is too long and loses its meaning, messing up all the relationships between characters.
Seven Pounds 2008,  PG-13)
Seven Pounds
Yeah! Everybody seems to know what to do with life and death these days. Just great! Am I supposed to be impressed or what?
Not to mention it is awfully dragging.
Little Ashes 2009,  R)
Little Ashes
I have never seen something more lifeless. What happened? Did the filmmaker decide to illustrate Dali's ideal, 'No limits', by representing the characters stuffed?
Cloverfield 2008,  PG-13)
Cloverfield
At first I thought that if we are told a tape was found, even if the characters die in the end, what they filmed is going to be sufficiently interesting to maintain the interest. Unfortunately, I find no interest in monsters came out of nothing on the streets of a big city.
Step Brothers 2008,  R)
Step Brothers
Disgusting and stupid. Not in the artistic or grotesque way, just ordinary stuff we can see around us.

Comments (0)

Post a comment

Recent Comments