Sports (Showing 1 - 9 of 9 comments)

• PedigreeChum
    posted by PedigreeChum

Opinions on the 2018 and 2022 Fifa world cup locations

Russia and Qatar? Really? I mean I understand spreading the game around. But Qatar is ridiculously hot and the players are actually going to die :P
    posted 3 years ago
  • QuietCompany
    posted by QuietCompany

It's supposed to be held during the winter in Qatar. Obviously their winter is still warm but not as bad. It is suspicious and the voting is flawed/corrupt.

There's a blog called http://www.howtofixasoccergame.com/blog/ which if you scroll down talks about this issue. The author is a journalist who's covered corruption and match-fixing in professional football around the world.
    posted 3 years ago
  • PedigreeChum
    posted by PedigreeChum

I know! But screw having it in the winter! As that will screw up the Premier League, La Liga etc...

Which I prefer to the world cup anyway!
    posted 3 years ago
  • QuietCompany
    posted by QuietCompany

La Liga, Bundesliga, and Seria A take breaks during the winter anyways. I'm pretty sure the French league does as well. The German break and that for other European countries lasts almost a month I think which is the length of the WC.

So accommodating the schedule wouldn't be a problem. They would just start the season a bit earlier and end it a bit later, it would be interesting.

But I would prefer if the WC was in a west/north European country since those are always good. Wouldn't mind seeing it in the US/Canada or Australia/NZ either but Australia/NZ I don't know if they would be as good because of the time difference for the South/North American continent or even for Europe/Africa.
    posted 3 years ago
  • PedigreeChum
    posted by PedigreeChum

But they would still need a break after the world cup... So that doesn't really solve anything.
    posted 3 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

Qatar failed miserably in hosting the Asian Cup. Crowd attendance was woeful at the games, and for the final they gave tickets away to locals,to stop the Stadium from looking so empty. The trouble was, the tickets had already been sold to foreigners. So people that had travelled across the World to be there, were locked out and herded by police with batons, and had to watch the game from outside on screens.

FIFA must be so proud of picking that forsaken wretched country.
    posted 3 years ago
  • DarkSun555
    posted by DarkSun555

They really couldn't have done any worse. I'm shocked Qatar even had the funds to bribe FIFA with.
    posted 3 years ago
  • DarkSun555
    posted by DarkSun555

Qatar is a place where people, including Muslims, can legally buy alcohol and then be taken to court for drinking it. Earlier this year an Egyptian man had some beers on a plane on the way here to try and forget the toothache he had. After checking in at his hotel he got a taxi and asked the driver to take him to a dental clinic. Instead, the driver took him to the police station and he ended up receiving lashes for being inebriated. When the sentence was passed, he wept (source: Gulf Times).

Sounds like a brilliant place to hold the Cup.
    posted 3 years ago
  • jamesfast
    posted by jamesfast

the decision was really good for FIFA for taking the world cup in qatar but it's not good for the fan who are drinking,smoking,parting etc.
    posted 3 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

FIFA only cares about the money. The Asian Cup was supposed to a practice for the World Cup, and no one that lived in Qatar, unless given free tickets actually attended the games. It was a woeful decision, it should have gone to one of the Sport loving nations, and not have been decided on by the greed of a corrupt body of officials. I really hope England's plans to try and clean up FIFA happen, but realistically the fat cats are not going be moved.
    posted 3 years ago