The Flixster Experts Lounge (Showing 1 - 25 of 39 comments)

• RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Put in your two cents and help the Expert program out!

Hey Experts!

This is where we are going to continue the conversation started in the Expert Wiki Home. Hopefully there is interest to talk about the subject past Monday (when the home gets updated again).

The original post had 5 questions aimed at getting your thoughts on how to make being an Expert even better. Here they are:

1. What is the most fun part of the process of working on a Wiki?

2. What is the most difficult?

3. Have you ever thought "I wish we could do such-and-such"? If so what was it?

4. Are there any processes that you wish were made simpler?

5. Anything else you care to add/ ask/ etc. ?

Many thanks!

RobGordon
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Will begin responding tomorrow. Sorry gang, something came up that I had to give my full attention to.
    My response coming tomorrow. But you can keep sharing ideas in the meanwhile :)
    R
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Ok, so far from reading through all of the posted comments (thus far) it seems like the most frequently mentioned themes are a) improving skin usage, b) some more diverse options to be made available (fonts was mentioned) and c) users not behaving as they should (by way of spam, not fulfilling Expert obligations, etc).

In terms of the comments about skins, fontsm and locking. These are all sort of the same thing and can be wrapped up into one request from myself to my boss: greater control over the page. I will be sending a report to my boss this weekend based on your comments in the home (and here hopefully!) and this will get mentioned for sure (as well as everything you have said).

In terms of people having a tough time with skins please contact me directly. We have people here at Flixster that specialize in Skin creation and I would love to introduce you to them. I think they will likely be able to help a great deal.

Scoop mentioned an issue where Experts are not tending to their pages. This is a problem. I contact Experts directly when I notice they are not meeting minimum requirements to their pages and try to work with them to fix this. Unfortunately it's hard to keep track of everyone at every moment. It's a process (especially being that there is only one of me doing this) and I make a point to look at pages as often as possible. I ask that everyone takes a moment to look at your work and see if there are any components of the page missing some info....
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Ok. Thats it for now. More thoughts/ response tomorrow (saturday) after I have thought some more about this.

Thanks for all your replies!

R
    posted 4 years ago
  • weelee18
    posted by weelee18

for some reason I can't send you a instant message on here Rob.. But I would like it if you send me a reply on who I can get to help me to make a skin.. thanks
    posted 4 years ago
  • debmm
    posted by debmm

For all those Experts who have been complaining about receiving comments every time someone posts something new on the wiki home, there is an easy fix (and has been for quite some time lol).

Go to My Account (at the top right next to Logout).
    On the right where it says "Email & Notification Options", click on "I want to update my email & notification options".
    Next, at the bottom of the list, where it says "Featured Wiki Comment Notifications", click "I hate notifications".
    Lastly, click "Update Options".

Live in peace.
    Cheers!
    posted 4 years ago
  • debmm
    posted by debmm

1. Mostly all fun 2. The template/tables in the main profile suck. They are set at a width of 494, which is wrong (should be about 488 to be safe). For folks without a clue about tables, their info ends up running off the box so one has to scroll across to see everything. This is a major faux pas in the "web world". It is almost better to delete the tables and start from scratch. 3. I agree with the Experts about the need for more fonts, however we do need to stay within the "web safe" fonts. 4. I also agree with Experts about the Best Movies & Characters page being long and tiresome to complete. I think the process could be made simpler if we had the option of using a different template/format similar to the one created by "junkpilejennifer". Here are two wiki's using her format:  Maggie Gyllenhall
    Orlando Bloom 5. anything else will be on the next post.
    posted 4 years ago
  • debmm
    posted by debmm

5. When will all the main profile wiki's be consistent? Currently some wiki's have a new style with a small space at the top, the experts on the right and the subpage links hidden at the bottom. The rest of the wiki's have the old style. We were told this was a test, however many months have passed. Also, since the change both the new and old style now have an error at the top right of the top box. There used to be a link there, but now from what I can tell, the engineers have tried to create a filmography list but the spacing is completely wrong. We can't see it!

Lastly, I've noticed some experts as recently as yesterday, pasting information directly from Wikipedia into numerous wikis without rewriting or changing any of the text. Now, I'm sure we all might have been guilty of this in the beginning, but we should know better by now. This is outright plagiarism and should not be tolerated. If this is you, please go back to all of those wiki's and either delete the text or rewrite it all.
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Tabulating comments -----
    These are the points that have been made thus far:

1)Pages can take a while to load new additions, specifically "best movies.."
    2)More fonts options
    3)Abilities to choose skins
    4)Hide content history - it visually gets in the way
    5)The process for making skins is confusing
    6)Create "stock" skins for actors, such as those available for user profiles
    7)Power over actors profile pic
    8)Re-order/organize news, facts, trivia, quizzes, videos, photos and movies in the actors page.
    9)Skins should also be made to flow over into the Biography, Characters and Quotes pages to match the main page of an actor.
    10)Moderators should be allowed to add casts to movie pages and possibly posters.
    11)Expert specific skin-requesting forum
    12)Spammers/ what to do
    13)Experts not being responsible
    14)Facebook bar at bottom of page
    15)Changing birthdate and death date

did I miss anything?
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Oh, debmm had the point about consistent profile layout.

This is a test being run. Don't know what the timeline is on this but I would presume that non-consistency will be temporary.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

10)Moderators should be allowed to add casts to movie pages and possibly posters. I fink the point above will help alot to make flixster which is now so-called "The biggest Movie Site in the World" really THE Movie Site. What do people have with these skin issue. Have you thought of the other site. There are some Black Ships, who will take advantages of some point I see some tension coming up. Then Good Luck with the Skins Admins :)) Giving the user Power to change skins on Actors page is like giving a Diabetic a candyfloss
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

You bring up a good point Liloh.

There are two sides (at least) to every idea or suggestion that has been posed. That's why everything needs to be discussed by Flixster bosses before any decisions are made. All sides of every issue need to be weighed, so-to-speak.

Also, some things, such as additional fonts may not be up to Flixster because the wiki's are ran by another company that does that for us. Still, this, and other situations like the one just mentioned, will be looked into.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

Rob it is understandable that both sides should be discussed though why I mentioned that the Idea of the Skin can be bad is, mostly every skin creator and Admins know what problems skins caused in the past.

There were mostly great Ideas on the Wiki Home, I just had to laugh on the Skin thingy. I was like oh this means tension.

Well some of us clever Experts change the Layouts :))

Still feel sorry for those who are great Experts they add somuch info but wonder how to fancy their pages and then if another Expert changes the skin. Holy Crap this sounds like you Admins will have to take alot of Compose. lmao
    posted 4 years ago
  • belovlee
    posted by belovlee

Another idea just came to mind. For PHOTOS, why not reverse the uploading style. Instead of having older pictures displayed first on the main page, have the recent pictures displayed. I am kind of sick of seeing the same old photos everytime I visit an actors page.
    Thanks
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

@belovlee

great Idea. Same here dude
    posted 4 years ago
  • belovlee
    posted by belovlee

@Liloh, Thanks always happy to help.

I have another idea. How about adding so sort of revert system where experts can revert there edits to a wiki page?
    Right now I just messed up a Film page and I can't revert it's content history.
    posted 4 years ago
  • debmm
    posted by debmm

TO @belovlee "How about adding so sort of revert system where experts can revert there edits to a wiki page?Right now I just messed up a Film page and I can't revert it's content history." There is already a revert system in place. It is in the Content History. Click on "content history". You have two options. You can "Delete This Version" the version that you created that you don't like. Just click on the gray arrow beside the date of the version you want to delete to expand it, and click on "Delete This Version". Or you can make an earlier version the current one. Click on the gray arrow beside the date of an earlier version and click on "Make Current Version".
    posted 4 years ago
  • belovlee
    posted by belovlee

@debmm, boy don't I feel like an idiot. LOL! Thanks Debmm.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

lol belovlee. It can happen.

ey Rob why Put in two cents and help the Expert program out! I give 2 Pennies. Thats it. I am greedy sowi. lol
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

I just dont understand why people are discussing on Wiki Home while they should be posting here. I guess they are too shy. How Sweet.......:))
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

OK - I think I'm feeling better.....

vacation (although a working one) isn't supposed to happen when your sick! Gast!

Debb, thanks for chiming in with revert info, to everyone else thanks for keeping the convo going!

I like the photos idea (newest ones at the top). These are the kinds of insights that you would think are rather obvious, but when you are working on the site all day things like that - the most obvious - can sometimes get overlooked. LIke when you are wearing your glasses and you are frantically looking for them all over your house. Lol.

I think I have gone over this elsewhere but I thought I would mention how these suggestions will work again just cuz I want to keep everyone in the loop.

I am supplying my boss with them as I get them. When I get back home from my trip we are going to have a meeting and talk about which ones are most needed, which are easiest to pull off, etc. Everything will get talked about and considered I promise. As well, something to keep in mind, is that we have to fit these into our schedule for all the adds, fixes, and cleanups that have to get worked on for the whole site. The way these get decided upon is based on priority. For example if there is a bug effecting a lot of people we will have to fix that before we can get to tweaking the skins.

Make sense?

Here is a question - the overall wiki experience (adding content, coming up with a design, etc) in general it works pretty well for you?
    Rob
    posted 4 years ago
  • belovlee
    posted by belovlee

Hey Rob glad to se that u are better :D

Answer:
    Yes the overall experience works for me.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Liloh
    posted by Liloh

by Scoop:Well each to their own and ofcourse it is nice to see some Experts have began to put their own ideas on wikis. Yeah guess they finally got their 2 cents to buy a Brain no offence against the ones who never copied others designs. The rest cough.........I respect dis forum cuz its Robs Area aint gonna swear. Swearing Free area fo Rob. :)) 2. What is the most difficult? Now my time to whine like those gossipy chicks, the pictures of Well KnOwn and every day stalked stars are changing, EY WOT ABT DA LESS KNOWN AND living in apartament no one gives a darn ACTORS? It will change my entire life if their Pics would random too. *big grin*
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

I would love to feature more lesser known actor pages. The thing is, most people want to work on the big stars pages so the bigger actors pages tend to either a) meet the minimum, or b) have a good amount of time spent on it.

It just works out that way. But it makes sense too - if you see tom cruise in a lot of movies you will get more chances to get interested in him then an actor that appears in only one big movie every few years.

still, I agree with you Liloh

R
    posted 4 years ago
  • RobGordon
    posted by RobGordon

Wahida -

Yes I agree too (lots of agreeing around here :)

I will have a meeting about vital stats section. I am not so worried about the section (the cells) not being there if the info is represented. I am not sure what we want to do with that just yet. When I get back home I will have a meeting with my boss and we will discuss it's importance.

I can understand both sides to the argument.

r
    posted 4 years ago
  • belovlee
    posted by belovlee

Can someone tell me who does approvals for skins? Thanks.
    posted 4 years ago