Scary Forum (Showing 1 - 25 of 35 comments)

• drblood
    posted by drblood

Best horror films of 2009

What did you like most?
    posted 4 years ago
  • drblood
    posted by drblood

With only a few weeks left now until the end of 2009, here are what I consider to be the best horror films so far.

1) Orphan

I rate it as 9/10. Only the fact that the father sounds gay and the cliche of profanity being a portent of mental illness caused it to lose a mark. Otherwise it was excellent.

2) Mum & Dad

Really from 2008 but it didn't get released in the US until this year. Easily the most evil thing that I've seen from British filmmakers ever and done by some of the nicest people in the world.

3) Cold Prey

Yet another one that had a delayed US release since it's actually from 2006. The sequel from 2008 isn't bad either. Ingrid Bolso Berdal kicked ass!

4) Martyrs

And the pattern continues with another film from 2008 that I didn't see until May. The French really excel with horror movies lately and this was easily the best of the bunch.

5)The Uninvited

Much better than the original "A Tale of Two Sisters" due to being slicker and easier to follow. When you rewatch it the scenes are more cleverly done than you originally think too.
    posted 4 years ago
  • drblood
    posted by drblood

6) Drag Me To Hell

It may just be a mixture of "Thinner" and "Night of the Demon" to some people but, outside of the deafening sound in movie theatres, the Unrated DVD is pretty good.

7) Jennifer's Body

Even if you aren't a big Megan Fox fan, this is entertaining enough in an 80s "Prom Night II" kind of way.

8) Laid To Rest

Another old school slasher with some great kills even if the suspense and acting aren't up to quite the same high standard.

9) Twilight: New Moon

I haven't even seen it yet but I know it's going to make it to my top ten. The only rivals it had were "Friday the 13th" and "My Bloody Valentine" and they both sucked. It would have to be "Harry Potter awful" to not be one of the best films this year.

10) Grace

Not quite what I expected but it entertained me enough to make it to the end. Not so much a horror movie as a drama with a couple of horror moments. Jordan Ladd makes it more watchable than it could have been.

An honorable mention also goes to "Let the Right One In " since it was released on DVD this year. Really that was my top film of last year.

What are yours?
    posted 4 years ago
  • Horror666
    posted by Horror666

I have seen all the movies you posted except for New Moon, since it hasnt been released yet prior to my post, but my vote for best movie out of your list is Martyrs!

Like to add some honorable mentions for
    Wrong Turn 3
    Trick R Treat
    and The CHildren
    posted 4 years ago
  • ninjacobra
    posted by ninjacobra

Trick R' Treat was Great!

... I've only seen Saw VI
    posted 4 years ago
  • wolfwatcher44
    posted by wolfwatcher44

I think Paranormal Activity needs to be added to this list. That movie proved you don't need the ridiculous budget, big-name actors, sex scenes, or overdone special effects to make a good scary movie.
    posted 4 years ago
  • sportfan
    posted by sportfan

In order these are my favourite so far.

1.Orphan
    2.Paranormal Activity
    3.Pandorum
    4.Horsemen
    5.Lespian Vampire Killers
    6.Drag me to Hell
    7.Blood:The Last Vampire

And these are all the horrors I have seen this year in order from my favourite to my least favourite.
    posted 4 years ago
  • grahamhgreen
    posted by grahamhgreen

the torturer. About a military interrogator who returns frm Iraq with acute PTSD. More than just scary - really real terror... http://thetorturer.com
    posted 4 years ago
  • drblood
    posted by drblood

Although box office results are no indication of whether a movie was actually any good or not, I now feel justified about adding New Moon to the list. :) I've watched it now and gave it 6 out of 10 which makes it three times better than Friday the 13th and My Bloody Valentine 3D even if it isn't really a true horror movie (anymore than the Underworld series) per se. :D
    posted 4 years ago
  • brightand
    posted by brightand

i quite liked Dead Snow

havent really seen many new horror films
    Grace was alright
    posted 4 years ago
  • civilzen
    posted by civilzen

I've only seen Drag and Martyrs.

The first didn't really do it more though the handful of obscene gore scenes and the ending were noteworthy, besides that the napkin was pretty scary, bout it though.

The second was a romp through twisted psychology but traded it's horror value for disturbing violence.
    posted 4 years ago
  • creepfreak
    posted by creepfreak

Some of my favorites - in no particular order

Orphan

Paranormal Activity

The House of the Devil

Trick 'r Treat

Deadgirl

Drag Me to Hell

Martyrs

Splinter

Autopsy

Let the Right One In

The Hills Run Red

The Children
    posted 4 years ago
  • schmoo04
    posted by schmoo04

Just saw Paranormal activity....was not scary, to much hype surrounding it!
    posted 4 years ago
  • schmoo04
    posted by schmoo04

I did like

The Uninvited
    Drag me to hell
    Let the right one in (more love story than horror, but still)
    posted 4 years ago
  • Ladiva4
    posted by Ladiva4

The Orphan makes Damian from The Omen look like a shy sweet school boy.
    posted 4 years ago
  • mamamiasweetpeaches

I only saw a few good oens this year:

TRICK R TREAT
    ORPHAN and
    DRAG ME TO HELL
    posted 4 years ago
  • Jubei
    posted by Jubei

Hey, everyone. Miss me? I guess my favorite horror flicks for 2009 would be Orphan was pretty cool, that was one evil little chick, lol. and Trick or treat was fun in a Creepshow kinda way. Anyhow, if this is the best for 2009 we really need to work on 2010 ya'll. SEE YA LATER.
    posted 4 years ago
  • drblood
    posted by drblood

Yeah, I know what you mean, Jubei. The year started well and then gradually fizzled out to nothing. I wonder what excitement we'll have next year.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Ladiva4
    posted by Ladiva4

Martyrs, I think was more than we could hope for, for 2009. It was shocking and disturbing. It had a story and a twist. It was definitely one of a kind.
    posted 4 years ago
  • mysticdeath28
    posted by mysticdeath28

I'm still waiting the Zombie flick "Colin". I enjoy Zombieland. Ophan bored the crap out of me. Drag me to Hell was a trip down memory lane with Raimi.
    posted 4 years ago
  • hopper
    posted by hopper

i don't have any favs of 2009. but i do quite like these.

and they're not in any particular order.

martyrs
    trick r treat
    zombieland (haven't seen it yet, but i love it lol)
    laid to rest
    drag me to hell (suprisingly)
    posted 4 years ago
  • jackorlando11
    posted by jackorlando11

Paranormal Activity
    Drag Me To Hell
    Trick 'r Treat
    Friday The 13th
    Ans Saw VI
    posted 4 years ago
  • JessiiLicious
    posted by JessiiLicious

Saw VI
    Jennifer's body
    Drag me to hell
    posted 4 years ago
  • JessiiLicious
    posted by JessiiLicious

the uninvited also I loved the ending
    posted 4 years ago
  • a7f7
    posted by a7f7

I think i just see one Horor Movie of 2009

Drag Me To Hell
    it was awesome

im planing to see these movies someday

The Uninvited
    Orphan
    The House of the Devil
    Friday The 13th
    The Last House On The Left
    posted 4 years ago
  • ButtonFilms
    posted by ButtonFilms

Some of my favorites from '09 include...Trick 'r Treat, Pontypool, Orphan, The Children, Last House on the Left, Dead Snow, The Hills Run Red, Grace, Cold Prey....and even though it was made in '07, Rec. wasn't released on DVD here until '09.
    posted 4 years ago