Art Forum (Showing 1 - 7 of 7 comments)

• Kikuya
    posted by Kikuya (Moderator)

Impressionism...your thoughts?

Here's a classic example... Now you see this shows that you don't have to have perfect detail in painting...the closer you look at it, it just seems like blobs and smudges of paint but if you take a few steps back then look at it, it doesn't seem to be just dabbed on...it gives off the right shapes, the right shading etc...
    posted 4 years ago
  • TheMarionette
    posted by TheMarionette

True - but Impressionism requires a hell of a lot of skill to achieve the effect you mentioned. Something people should always keep in mind when adoring an impressionist piece - it bothers me when people say that paintings like this are an example of how you don't have to be a great painter to create a great painting - becasue the impressionists WERE great painters who revolutionized art.

My favourite impressionist piece is 'The Bar at the Folies-Bergère' by Edouard Manet - check it out =)
    posted 4 years ago
  • TerraXFirma
    posted by TerraXFirma

Impressionism isn't really my favorite. I like it well enough, and I can certainly respect those with the patience to paint in the Impressionist style, but I find it too abstract to be realistic, and not abstract enough to be surreal.
    posted 4 years ago
  • TheMarionette
    posted by TheMarionette

*cringes at comment above*
    posted 4 years ago
  • Kikuya
    posted by Kikuya (Moderator)

People's thoughts differ...impressionism isn't my favourite style really, but i'm trying to get peoples responses and what they think.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AgentLexi2132
    posted by AgentLexi2132

German impressionism/expressionism is worth a look at too.
    posted 3 years ago
  • EklektikEyez
    posted by EklektikEyez

Personally, I prefer different styles/artists for different moods. When I need to feel light, airiness, openness I opt for impressionism. When I am somber or pensive I enjoy the realism and the warm but subtle light of Rembrandt Van Rijn's work. If I'm in a more fanciful mood it's surrealism (esp. Dali). For a cerebral mood it's Escher. And so on....
    posted 3 years ago
  • CosmicEd
    posted by CosmicEd

I like impressionism a lot.

If ya want realism take a picture.
    posted 2 years ago