The Golden Era of Hollywood (Showing 1 - 25 of 34 comments)

• kmansell1
    posted by kmansell1 (Moderator)

Classic Comedy Movies

I'm gonna have to say 'the ladykillers' was just a great comedy. alec guinnes is just brilliant in it.
    also got to mention 'dr. strangelove'. strangelove is just genius.
    both films contain the amazing peter sellers.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

Some Like it Hot.The cast is perfect, Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon play off each other brilliantly. The last line of the movie,is one of the greatest ending lines ever.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Ali579
    posted by Ali579

I was going to say Some Like It Hot as well because it is just hilarious!
    posted 5 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

"The Ladykillers " is fantastic, as are most of the Alec Guinness comedies from the period. Without "The Ladykillers " there would be no "A Fish Called Wanda" or dozens of other.

"The Thin Man" films are very likable, and given the two leads' back-and-forthing they can be considered comedies.
    posted 5 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

I was going to say something but I totally forgot what it was.

Any way... Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant.
    There were more.. but eluding me at the moment..
    posted 5 years ago
  • littlecharmer1959

Bringing Up Baby is one of my favourites. Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn are great together.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Fun fact: "Arsenic and Old Lace", the stage play, orignally had Boris Karloff in the role of the gangster who was always mistaken for...Boris Karloff. For some reason the studio opted not to hire him for the film adaptation and the role went out to someone who bore him a passing resemblance but who as most assuredly no Boris Karloff.
    posted 5 years ago
  • littlecharmer1959

Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame is a new favourite of mine, every line is pure gold!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"
    posted 5 years ago
  • rubystevens
    posted by rubystevens

preston sturges was a genius
    posted 5 years ago
  • neffielee
    posted by neffielee

I must agree with The Lady Eve and The Thin Man series. I love Powell and Loy together. Topper with Constance Bennett and Cary Grant was hilariously great.
    posted 5 years ago
  • poetsparlor
    posted by poetsparlor

So many great comedies classics mentioned so far...here is one no one mentioned yet ... The Court Jester with Danny Kaye...I think it's probably one of the funniest films of all time.
    posted 5 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

When I think of Ginger Rogers her name is usually paired with Fred Astaire (and I love their movies together) but one of my favourite classic comedies is The Major and the Minor with Ray Milland. It was Billy Wilder's debut as a director and I think it was a great start for him.
    posted 5 years ago
  • rubystevens
    posted by rubystevens

marx brothers! charlie chaplin! buster keaton!!!!!!!!!!
    posted 5 years ago
  • HenrikSchunk
    posted by HenrikSchunk

I love the Laurel & Hardy classics. Id recommend Sons of the Desert or Way out West for newcomers. Other than that, I second Arsenic and Old Lace as well. Almost all of the Ealing Studio films with Alec Guiness (Passport to Pimlico, Ladykillers, The man in the white suit) are amazing. Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein is another, more of a goofy comedy movie that is worth watching.

H.
    posted 5 years ago
  • ADevilFromHeaven

My favourite comedy of all times is "Some like it Hot"!
    It's just perfect!
    posted 4 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

It Happened One Night is one of my favorites. The Gable and Colbert team up is just electric, one of Capra's best.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Ladykillers, one of the funniest films I've ever seen. His Girl Friday has to have an honourable mention for sharp script.
    posted 4 years ago
  • x1982
    posted by x1982

if we're talkin comedy we have to drop all the Marx Brothers films. "Duck Soup" was one of my favorites. all the Chaplin flicks are awesome too
    posted 4 years ago
  • shineleafwq
    posted by shineleafwq

I'd like to say something about it . but can't remember now . so terrible !!!!!!!!!!
    posted 4 years ago
  • markflix
    posted by markflix

I recommended the Apartment with Jack Lemmon. a dramedy ahead of its time!

I didn't like Some like it hot...
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

The Apartment is one of my favourites. Says so much about society -- relevant even today.
    posted 4 years ago
  • domjohnmom
    posted by domjohnmom

The Jerk with Steve Martin....yes, I realize its a little campy, dorky and 70's-ish but I'm sorry it's hilarious!! I defy you to sit through it without laughing out loud!!
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Some of the old Steve Martin comedies were hilarious: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Roxanne, The Man with Two Brains (if you're feeling a bit open minded) :) but I think they're the wrong era, unless you cheat the first one into it.
    posted 4 years ago
  • domjohnmom
    posted by domjohnmom

Ok, not exactly the golden age of hollywood. I have to say the marx brothers, duck soup. "Oh, I see, then it was murder. Will you marry me? Did he leave you any money? Answer the second question first."
    posted 4 years ago
  • sportfan
    posted by sportfan

some like it hot,big daddy,men in black,superbad,hot fuzz,the waterboy,the hangover and Night at the musuem are poperly comedies I can watch over and over and enjoy thats all I can think of now but I like lots of comedy movies.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Kiss Me Kate

Bathing Beauty
    posted 4 years ago