The Golden Era of Hollywood (Showing 1 - 10 of 10 comments)

• occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

~Hollywood Canteen~ Flixster Classics Community get together

Welcome!
    Come on it a take a load off. Chat about what ever is on your mind. Friends among Friends.
    Enjoy!!!!!!
    posted 5 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

Well ok Let me start it off :)
    With so many folks here that have seen a classic movie or like the classics that I felt the classics needed to be represented. When I first signed on I was some what taken aback by what little representation there was. So I wanted to do something about it :)
    So here is part of my doing something about it.

Any one have any ideas for any thing? The thing about it is that I want to share with every one about those wonderful movies. If it hadn't been for them.. Hollywood wouldn't be the same!

So ok I said a few things.. So whats on your mind?
    posted 5 years ago
  • littlecharmer1959

Well Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz are definitely classics. As for Scarface, the original 1932 version is already considered a classic.
    posted 5 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

It's a shame that most young people only ever see a few of the really well known classics because they needed to read the book for school (and watched the movie instead,lol) or they've seen TV commercials that feature quotes from some of the more famous ones like Casablanca and decided to check it out. I guess they just don't know what they're missing.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

SquirrelsX, I have to disagree with you on DePalma's "Scarface". I don't think it will be considered a classic of anything in 20 years other than 80's excess though the film does seem to have a legion of adoring fans.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Im pretty sure littlecharmer knows :)
    posted 5 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

Well you don't have to be a fan of the classic if you don't want to be. But almost every one has seen a few for some reason or another.Yeah I am a fan of the classics for sure.But I also like other movies as well.
    Like my Avatar pic is Bruce Campbell (hint). Every one is different and that makes it ok :)
    That's why this is here and I'm doing what I do. maybe some one will read something on here and say "Hey, I would like to see that" makes it worth while.
    So yeah..If you have seen "Gone with the Wind" because of school , or something to that effect .. you've seen a classic movie. :)

And "Scarface" is retro 80's classic ... for the moment,
    in 40 years it will be a classic for sure and almost forgotten
    like some of the ones from 40 years past..
    posted 5 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

So many movies today are just remakes of the movies made in the Golden Days, and people just aren't aware of that. Even with the advances in film making, very few reach the standards of back then. I am dreading the new Robin Hood movie. Much as I love Russell Crowe, I can't see him beating Errol Flynn as the perfect Robyn Hood. As for the Kevin Costner disaster, Men in Tights, was a perfect review of that movie.
    posted 5 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

LOL Yes it was.
    But oh yes you hit the nail on the head. So many movies ARE remakes. Some were originally a silent movie, Then were remade in the the early years of sound, And then remade again with special computerized effects.But that's Hollywood for you.I'm surprised that they haven't remade Gone With The Wind yet.

Then There was the moment when Ted Turner wanted to colorize the movies. Was that a good idea or bad?
    To me ..It was just horrendous that he was going to do that. I'm all about saving the films.. But please keep it original!
    posted 5 years ago
  • rubystevens
    posted by rubystevens

for tcm fans, there's a new feature: classic film union
    a film community like flixster!
    http://www.tcm.com/fan/
    posted 4 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

Sounds good.
    A friend and I were discussing how truly great dramas leave you thinking about the film afterwards, an example for me is Suspicion. I have never figured out if Cary Grant was an evil murderer or a charming husband. So many recent movies leave nothing to the imagination, and sometimes treat the viewer as an idiot, by making films which are easily predictable.
    posted 4 years ago