The Golden Era of Hollywood (Showing 1 - 25 of 26 comments)

• occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

The Classic Drama movies

"Gone With the Wind" With Vivian Leigh, To "Salome" with Rita Hayworth. This is the place to talk about the Drama of the silver screen!
    posted 5 years ago
  • kmansell1
    posted by kmansell1 (Moderator)

i love casablanca. what an amazing film and i don't think it's aged at all.
    posted 5 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

Beau Geste is one of my favourite classic dramas.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

An Affair to Remember .
    posted 5 years ago
  • rubystevens
    posted by rubystevens

miss bette davis in: all about eve now voyager the letter also anyone who knows me knows: i love film noir and gangster pictures, especially warner brothers!...and then there's hitchcock in a class all by himself
    posted 5 years ago
  • HenrikSchunk
    posted by HenrikSchunk

Recently watched "On The Beach" and was very impressed, Gregory Peck must be one of my favourite leading men in Hollywood.
    posted 5 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

I watched "The Big Country" last week and agree with you about Gregory Peck, although Burl Ives' performance in that movie was something to see.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

Last week I watched a double of Laura and The Wicked Lady, two of my alltime favourites. Such a pity though that they are put on so late at night. The Wicked Lady started at 130am.
    posted 5 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

casablanca
    sunset boulevard
    it's a wonderful life
    citizen kane
    to kill a mockingbird
    all about eve

just to name a few..

I could watch Casablanca again and again without ever getting tired of it.
    posted 5 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

I recently got a DVD boxset of films directed by Douglas Sirk. Not sure if they're down as classics, but they're whopping good dramas some of them.
    posted 5 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Sirk's technicolor melodramas would certainly fit the bill for classic Hollywood.
    posted 5 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Well I'm certainly loving them HellShocked. I could easily watch some of these over and over. Quite brave characterisation for his period I think. Back in those days there seemed to be a lot of escapism, not too much realism.
    posted 5 years ago
  • kmansell1
    posted by kmansell1 (Moderator)

i loved 12 angry men which i watched not long along. such a simple idea but so well told and acted.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Am ashamed to admit have never seen 12 Angry Men. Surprisingly, it was even mentioned in Psychology class. Must get around to it some time.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Gone with the Wind. My friends think I'm insane for loving such a long and really old film, but I can't help myself. The story's really lovely that I can't help but get sweeped up in the storyline. :)
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

No disrespect, but I'm thinking it's your friends who are insane. What's wrong with a film being long? What's wrong with a film being old? Am tempted to add "Kids these days!" but will refrain :)
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

No disrespect taken. ;) It's their loss, not mine. Besides, I have a GREAT comeback line whenever they tell me: "You're wasting three/four hours of your life watching that movie!" Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn. Epic fail! :))))) Does Cleopatra count as a drama movie? Because it comes a close second.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Yes, great come back - though I'm guessing they miss the irony :)

I was going through my collection today and thinking how come I've not watched Cleopatra yet. I have a lavish 3-disc set but somehow just haven't got around to it. Some day soon perhaps.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

They do, but they don't miss the so-called insult. :))

You didn't! An Elizabethan crime! :DD I have the Betamax, VCD, and DVD version. lol. Dunno, I'm addicted to it I guess.

Watch it, you'll be thanking me on bended knee afterwards. =))
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

May give it a look some time soon and let you know my friend :) Apparently it was the most expensive film ever of its time...
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Yep, if you convert the expenses they shouldered, it'll be well over a billion (or so). The entrance of Cleopatra in Rome alone looked expensive to make. :D
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

That's two Avatars and I bet it's much more than twice as good. Sorry Avatar fans, me being a prejudiced snob; not seen it -- can't be bothered because of all the hype... Then again took me years to get around to The Matrix and now it's a favourite.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

I haven't seen it either, but I'm planning to. :) I just find the constant comparisons to Avatar tiring.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Maybe people have short memories and are impressed really easily by the new? I recommend The Matrix; savour the first one without rushing to the second and third parts I suggest.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Seen the Matrix, AA. ;) The second and third weren't so hot, though. >_>
    posted 4 years ago
  • erika250
    posted by erika250

glory
    posted 3 years ago