The Golden Era of Hollywood (Showing 1 - 25 of 28 comments)

• occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

Classic Horror Movies

"Dracula" with Bela Lugosi. Vincent Price and "The House of Wax". "Psycho" with Anthony Perkins.
    Horror at its classic finest. This is a place to talk about it!
    posted 4 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

I started buying all of James Whale's horror classics and I plan on seeing them all in one fell swoop.

Frankenstein (1931)
    The Old Dark House (1932)
    The Invisible Man (1933)
    Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

oh man, I can't wait!
    posted 4 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

good selection :) oh yes James Whales directing is a joy to see. For me Well Hmmm : Nosferatu (1922) Very dark and creepy even for a silent movie Dracula(1931) Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) House of Wax(1953) Im sure there are more I just cant think yet...
    posted 4 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Paul Leni's films, particularly "Cat and the Canary", "The Last Warning" and "The Man Who Laughs" had a tremendous influence on Universal in general and James Whale in particular (his "The Old Dark House" is almost a loving remake of "Cat and the Canary").

I must say, I take exception to the following:

"Nosferatu (1922) Very dark and creepy even for a silent movie"

Murnau's "Nosferatu" is not very dark and creepy even for a silent movie, it is creepy period. Furthermore, I'd wager silent horror films as a whole are far creepier than talkies, and black and white films than color (with few exceptions).

As for "Dracula", check out the Mexican version which was shot simultaneously on the same sets and using the same script. It is a different film, more grandiose and with stronger direction. I would wager the one true genuine advantage the Todd Browning film has over it is Bela Lugosi's performance which is iconic and unmatchable.
    posted 4 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

Hellshocked I must agree with you about the silents being far more creepier than the talkies. Im not saying all talkies are bad.. But the silence does have an added effect to it.
    I do have to admit that I have yet to see the other version of Dracula.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Itīs not difficult to get. It usually comes bundled with a release for Browning's "Dracula".
    posted 4 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

The Last Man on Earth - Vincent Price.

So much better than "I am Legend", the remake of it.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

Hell, anything with Vincent Price. Or Christopher Lee. Or Peter Cushing. Or Boris Karloff. Or Lon Chaney Jr. Or Bela Lugosi. Or combinations.
    posted 4 years ago
  • rubystevens
    posted by rubystevens

i love the films of jacques tourneur/val lewton cat people i walked with a zombie night of the demon the seventh victim
    posted 4 years ago
  • poetsparlor
    posted by poetsparlor

Dead of Night (1945) One of the first and best horror anthology movies ever made
    posted 4 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

"The Body Snatcher" is an underrated Val Lewtok RKO picture. It has Boris Karloff (and if this isn't his best performance it is right up there) and a small supporting turn for Bela Lugosi.
    posted 4 years ago
  • sportfan
    posted by sportfan

I liked House of Wax aswell that was a good horror.
    posted 4 years ago
  • HenrikSchunk
    posted by HenrikSchunk

On a side note, people who are interested in James Whale should read the book (or watch the movie), "Father of Frankenstein" (Gods and Monsters). It depicts his last days, amazing book & movie for movielovers.

Anyway, regarding classic Horror, Id suggest "The Mummy " with Cushing/Lee or the "Them", a masterpiece of giant monster movie.
    posted 4 years ago
  • neffielee
    posted by neffielee

I had recently seen The Body Snatcher. I loved watching the small scene with Lugosi and Karloff together. There aren't too many who can be creepier than Karloff.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Shonuff1134
    posted by Shonuff1134

The Creature From The Black Lagoon was the first movie to ever freak me out.
    Psycho is still the movie I love to live through others as they watch it for the first time.
    The Bad Seed and Straight Jacket are great also
    posted 4 years ago
  • Hellshocked
    posted by Hellshocked

"Creature..." kicks ass. It was originally released in 3D as I recall.
    posted 4 years ago
  • greenfruit
    posted by greenfruit

I thought "The Haunting " (1963) was very creepy. It proves that without showing the ghosts, monster, etc., one can still be scared. The 1999 remake was a mess.

I have still yet to see much of the classic Universal horror movies, unfortunately :( But I definitely want to.
    Saw "I Walked with a Zombie" recently and was very impressed by it. It felt like a combination of film noir and horror. Very atmospheric.
    posted 4 years ago
  • eightiesbaby80

rear window....perhaps not considered horror with todays standards but in my book it is.
    posted 4 years ago
  • ninjacobra
    posted by ninjacobra

My favorite Horror classic would be Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

If you're talking about classic horror movies, my favorite would have to be "The Shining". For more recent times, it would have to be "The Haunting ". :)
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

I'm not sure how far back people want to go, though judging by the Golden Era forum, I'm guessing a fair way back. I'm thinking The Innocents was really creepy. I agree that the black-and-white The Haunting was really scary. I really liked the remake before I saw the old one. New one's still a very interesting take though. I quite like comparing old and new; The House on Haunted Hill is another example.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Sheez, I need to watch more old horror movies. :)) Bride of Frankenstein looks good. Emphasis on "looks". I'm not sure if it really IS good. :))
    posted 4 years ago
  • erika250
    posted by erika250

child play
    posted 3 years ago
  • CosmicEd
    posted by CosmicEd

Evil dead
    posted 2 years ago
  • amandarent
    posted by amandarent

I'm glad at least one person mentioned "Them" (the best of the creature features), "House of Wax" and "Dracula," but I believe you missed a few: "Horror of Dracula," "The Beast with Five Fingers," "The Corpse Vanishes," "The Uninvited ," "Cat People," and "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein."
    posted 2 years ago
  • kaituwei
    posted by kaituwei

The website cheap wholesale and retail for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan, also including the handbag,sunglass,jeans,shirts,hat,belt and the decorations, online store,All the products are free shipping, and the price is competitive, after the payment, can ship within short time. the goods are shipping by air express, such as EMS,DHL,the shipping time is in 5-7 business days! YOU MUST NOT MISS IT, === http://www.sport3trade.net === cheap jordan shoes $35, Air max shoes $36, Nike/shox $35, handbag store $36, Sunglasses $16, New era cap $12, wallet $19, belt $18, jewelry $15, T-shirts $20, Jeans $36, (NFL MLB NBA NHL) jerseys $25, === http://www.sport3trade.net ===
    posted 12 months ago