The Golden Era of Hollywood (Showing 1 - 25 of 32 comments)

• occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

Who Is Your Favorite Male Actor?

Who is your favorite male actor or actors from the golden days?
    Who is it that makes you think he is a darn good actor?
    What made you like him? Was it the good looks or the way he acted?
    Tell us all about it!
    posted 4 years ago
  • occamsrazor1
    posted by occamsrazor1

I dont have one I have several. Bob Hope was a good funny guy. Then there is Fred Astaire With the dancing bit. Charlie Chaplin from the silents.
    It's not easy for me to choose just one.
    I guess all in all I would say Bob Hope is at the top of the list.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Butterlies3
    posted by Butterlies3

Cary Grant. He could put on the most chilling looks,and add so much drama to a scene, in movies such as Suspicion. He also had a flair for comedy, movies like Monkey Business, and My Favourite Wife and I was a Male Warbride were hilarious.
    posted 4 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant were great in just about all their movies, along with Gregory Peck and Henry Fonda. Errol Flynn made the best swashbuckler and I adore the musicals with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly.
    posted 4 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

Humphrey Bogart
    James Dean
    Steve McQueen
    John Wayne
    Charlie Chaplin
    Gregory Peck
    Henry Fonda

and much, much more..
    posted 4 years ago
  • littlecharmer1959

James Dean
    Gregory Peck
    Richard Burton
    James Mason
    Cary Grant
    Laurence Olivier
    posted 4 years ago
  • JcobCrim
    posted by JcobCrim

Charlie Chaplin
    posted 4 years ago
  • neffielee
    posted by neffielee

Jimmy Stewart is tops for me. I would have to second William Powell for his charming wit.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Ali579
    posted by Ali579

I like Gene Kelley and Frank Sinatra the best. Greggory Peck was very talented though
    posted 4 years ago
  • ADevilFromHeaven

Charlie Chaplin!
    posted 4 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

forgot to mention James Stewart, Clark Gable and Robert Mitchum.

been watching my share of classics as of late and these guys always show up in 'em.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Princeelf
    posted by Princeelf

Jimmy Stewart is my favourite male actor. Others that I also like are Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Gregory Peck, Donald O'Connor, Gene Kelly, and Claude Rains.
    posted 4 years ago
  • Shonuff1134
    posted by Shonuff1134

The one and only Steve McQueen
    Flixster - Share Movies
    posted 4 years ago
  • kimmiejuly
    posted by kimmiejuly

Steve McQueen in The Great Escape is unforgettable but Papillon is worth a look as well.
    posted 4 years ago
  • lilyjlh66
    posted by lilyjlh66

I have tons but Leonardo DiCaprio,Matt Damon, Al Pacino, Ben Afflect, Jack Nicholson and Travolta r my favourites!
    posted 4 years ago
  • irisgig
    posted by irisgig

Ethan Hawke. Enough said. And Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson
    posted 4 years ago
  • kellylouise2
    posted by kellylouise2

Yes, um, if that's your definition of the "golden days"..

I absolutely love Humphrey Bogart, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Marlon Brando and the man whose career should have gone on for decades longer, James Dean.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Some people share the news that the oldest film they've seen is Grease. (Not to be confused with Ancient Greece!) And yesterday I read of a film being described as old, which is only a few *years* old. Maybe it's me -- *I'm* old... Golden age... I like a lot of the Bogart films: In a Lonely Place is a particular favourite.
    posted 4 years ago
  • domjohnmom
    posted by domjohnmom

I love Marlon Brando in A street car named Desire. One of my favorite films. and anything with Paul Neuman. He was agreat actor but to be perfectly honest I'm happy just looking at him. YUM!
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

I am guessing you also liked the taste of his pickles / sauces or whatever he was producing :) Paul Newman was amazing in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. One of my favourites.
    posted 4 years ago
  • domjohnmom
    posted by domjohnmom

Yes, great movie!! Elizabeth Taylor was a screen goddess as Maggie the Cat. If you liked that movie you should Try The Long Hot Summer with Paul Neuman and his wife Joanne Woodward,also stars Orson Wells and Angela Landsbury.
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

I've never seen Taylor better than as Maggie. If it didn't bag her an Oscar it should've done. Thanks for that rec, it's not one I knew of. Will keep an eye open. Paul Newman was magnificent in many films for decades thereafter, The Verdict, for example.
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

Clark Gable. Why him? Look at the way he delivers his last line in "Gone with the Wind" and you'll see why.
    Flixster - Share Movies
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Good point, moviebuffgirl!
    posted 4 years ago
  • moviebuffgirl
    posted by moviebuffgirl

thanks. he even did a rare dance number in one old movie, forgot which, but i was able to see it in That's Entertainment! god, i love that featurette..
    posted 4 years ago
  • AAflixter
    posted by AAflixter

Clark Gable dancing -- I've seen a lot, but never seen that! Actually, I don't think I've ever watched That's Entertainment all the way through anyway...
    posted 4 years ago