General Movie Talk (Showing 1 - 14 of 14 comments)

• majrgrl2003
    posted by majrgrl2003

Old Movies vs. New Movies

Which do you prefer - - the elegance and style of old (ie., Betty Grable, Cary Grant, etc.) or the special effects and believability of new movies (ie., The Matrix, 300, Hustle & Flow, etc.)?
    posted 6 years ago
  • Forbauser
    posted by Forbauser

I suppose it depends on the mood really.
    posted 6 years ago
  • majrgrl2003
    posted by majrgrl2003

I am a huge fan of old movies. I can spend the entire day watching TCM or AMC to see Greta Garbo, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford, my girl Bette Davis and the rest. To me, old movies have an innocence about them even when the characters are being bad. They depict an elegance and style that is rarely shown in movies today. Now, don't get me wrong - - I love newer movies too! The special effects and believability of the characters are outstanding.
    posted 6 years ago
  • ash10692
    posted by ash10692

how long ago would you consider old?
    posted 6 years ago
  • juicylimes22
    posted by juicylimes22

I like New movies more
    posted 6 years ago
  • goodxxgod
    posted by goodxxgod

I like some older films, but I'm more into newer films. Anything from the 1960's up, which even in the 60's alot of those films would be "old movies".

I still enjoy older films, especially ones that seem unique for their time (mostly horror films) but with older romance or action films, they aren't what I grew up with and thus seem somewhat foreign to me, and unless the characters are engaging I might find it harder to keep an interest.

I think though with any film if I can't identify in someway with the protagonists, then I might have a harder time enjoying the film no matter when it was made.

Although it doesn't say he is on my profile, one of my favourite older directors is Akira Kurosawa. His older films are some of his best, if not some of THEE best movies ever created.
    posted 6 years ago
  • LorenzoVonMatterhorn

I think I prefer next-gen flicks rather than olde-school motion pictures.

Though I watch olde films here and there...

Occasionally.
    posted 6 years ago
  • Sleaze
    posted by Sleaze

I rarely watch anything that's been made recently and avoid most mainstream Hollywood films like the plague. There's way too many great films out there to discover to be concerned with whatever pap is being produced at the moment. Of course there are some good films being made now so I don't completely dismiss modern cinema but I prefer stuff pre 1980s.
    posted 6 years ago
  • tatianaAKAtanya

For much as I love modern movies they seem to become worse. Personally, I love all movies from 60th, not only American movies. I think 60 was the golden era for the world cinematography.
    posted 6 years ago
  • loobyphattcat
    posted by loobyphattcat

Im a fan of old and new but I prefer the oldies.
    posted 6 years ago
  • columbiatch
    posted by columbiatch

I avoid most of the trash that Hollywood churns out. There is still a lot quality films being made today, it's just that there is no market for art house films these days.
    posted 6 years ago
  • ash10692
    posted by ash10692

there arent enough cinemas that show them.
    although i think there is one in liverpool
    posted 6 years ago
  • ImjustRobert
    posted by ImjustRobert

special effects has ruined movies. They were so much better before all the cgi that is used now. Its all about how good everything looks now and I find that sad.
    posted 6 years ago
  • gee6stars
    posted by gee6stars

i was kinda surfing and saw this topic....well i guess it depends on the story of the movie....like the movie "love story" it's old but still good to watch....the difference bet. new and old is that new movies are the type of movies i can relate to....i mean i'm 14 and it's quite weird seeing a 14year old girl watching movies that are old...i don't know...it depends on oyu guys!!!-gEe-
    posted 6 years ago
  • AnOldFashionedGirl

I like older movies because they are mostly clean, like an old John Wayne western, for instance. But I like new movies too. It depends on what mood I am in. :)
    posted 6 years ago