Best 1972 Movies

• Sleuth

Sleuth (R, 2007)

Michael Caine, Jude Law, Harold Pinter
    The Anthony Shaffer play originally brought to the screen in 1972 gets the remake treatment in this ... read moreupdating that finds Michael Caine stepping into the role of the brilliant thriller writer portrayed by Laurence Olivier in the original, and Jude Law following in Caine's footsteps as the young hairdresser who steals the literary giant's wife, only to find himself subsequently swallowed up in an elaborate revenge scheme. Kenneth Branagh directs a script adapted from Shaffer's original play by screenwriter Harold Pinter. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
    • Burksta
      Burksta: . Kenneth Bransugh's re-imagining of the 1972 film is an absorbing feature. A claustrophobic atmosphere surrounds the picture and is mounted
      Reviewed 3 years days ago
    • michaelcorleone
      michaelcorleone: . As someone who saw this before seeing the 1972 version, I was thoroughly impressed. From what I understand, it's not intended to be a faithful
    • svenskfiolspel
      svenskfiolspel: . Whether the 1972 version was better or not is just irrelevant, and for myself I must say that the modern-day, ul
      Reviewed 4 years days ago
  • Poseidon

Poseidon (PG-13, 2006)

Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell, Jacinda Barrett, Richard Dreyfuss, Emmy Rossum
    Set adrift in the vast waters of the North Atlantic for a luxury New Year's Eve party staged in the ... read moreship's magnificent ballroom, the massive ocean-liner Poseidon receives an unexpected jolt when a rogue, 100-foot wave rolls it completely upside down, forcing the surviving passengers to fight their way to safety in Das Boot director Wolfgang Petersen's waterlogged blockbuster. Trapped beneath the waterline and implored by the captain to remain in place until a rescue team arrives, the panicked survivors struggle to keep their cool as the water begins to rush in, infernos blaze all around, and a loss of electricity plunges the doomed vessel into total darkness. Seasoned gambler Dylan Johns (Josh Lucas) isn't willing to wage his life on the prompt arrival of help, though, and as he attempts to navigate the treacherous, inverted maze of death, he is flanked by desperate band of like-minded seafarers including eight-year-old Conor (Jimmy Bennett) and his mother, Maggie (Jacinda Barrett), reticent stowaway Elena (Mía Maestro), suicidal Richard (Richard Dreyfus), and concerned father Robert (Kurt Russell), whose missing daughter may still be somewhere onboard along with her frightened fiancé. With a little luck and a little help from onboard waiter Marco (Freddy Rodriguez), the desperate team may just live to see the morning after. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi
    • wolvepro2005
      wolvepro2005: The 1972 movie was great, this is not even close. I cared about those characters.
      Reviewed 6 years days ago
    • mickeymonkey1
      mickeymonkey1: . Although not a classic, the 1972 original is much better.
      Reviewed 6 years days ago
    • bigjohnproductions
      bigjohnproductions: The storyline stayed on track with the 1972 movie The Poseidon Adventure which featured Gene Hackman. A decent action movie with some nice
      Reviewed 7 years days ago
  • The Mechanic

The Mechanic (R, 2011)

Jason Statham, Ben Foster, Tony Goldwyn, Donald Sutherland, Jeff Chase
    Arthur Bishop (Jason Statham) is a 'mechanic' - an elite assassin with a strict code and unique tale... read morent for cleanly eliminating targets. It's a job that requires professional perfection and total detachment, and Bishop is the best in the business. But when his mentor and close friend Harry (Donald Sutherland) is murdered, Bishop is anything but detached. His next assignment is self-imposed - he wants those responsible dead.

His mission grows complicated when Harry's son Steve (Ben Foster) approaches him with the same vengeful goal and a determination to learn Bishop's trade. Bishop has always acted alone but he can't turn his back on Harry's son. A methodical hit man takes an impulsive student deep into his world and a deadly partnership is born. But while in pursuit of their ultimate mark, deceptions threaten to surface and those hired to fix problems become problems themselves. -- (C) CBS films
    • fb568896913
      fb568896913: . Starts slow, builds well and has a splendid finale. It's certainly not the 1972 original but it is worth a watch.
    • fb1049762088
      fb1049762088: Very okay if you don't associate this film with the original film from 1972.
    • cenzano38
      cenzano38: The Mechanic, starring Jason Statham, is a remake of the 1972 Charles Bronson film of the same name. I haven't seen the original, so I have nothing to compar